Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-30-2012, 09:09 AM   #7081
Dustydude
Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
@ Liferider-thanks for the tip and welcome. I've certainly gone on the loose end of the spectrum and also believe a set of ear plugs will do the trick. I'm overly paranoid of getting it too tight...I think that's whats bothering me. I replaced the hex head bolt that holds the chain guard on with a sleek botton cap allen bolt in hopes to lower the seat height and possibly duck below the chain. I painted the top of the bolt w/ some nail polish so I could see how much rub its actually getting...its really not much. I'm okay with the bolt getting chewed up every 1000 miles or so but I don't want to damage the chain.

I've been watching the flea market for used pipes in hopes to get a feel for price but haven't seen anything. I don't think the stocker is worth much...maybe $100 bucks or so. It certainly is no Leo Vince etc...that sucker is heavy! I'm reading up on re-packing pipes...may be a project in my future.

You're right, the bike is a joy to ride...
Dustydude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 09:40 AM   #7082
liferider
Never It's enough

Oddometer: 648
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustydude View Post
@ Liferider-thanks for the tip and welcome. I've certainly gone on the loose end of the spectrum and also believe a set of ear plugs will do the trick. I'm overly paranoid of getting it too tight...I think that's whats bothering me. I replaced the hex head bolt that holds the chain guard on with a sleek botton cap allen bolt in hopes to lower the seat height and possibly duck below the chain. I painted the top of the bolt w/ some nail polish so I could see how much rub its actually getting...its really not much. I'm okay with the bolt getting chewed up every 1000 miles or so but I don't want to damage the chain.

I've been watching the flea market for used pipes in hopes to get a feel for price but haven't seen anything. I don't think the stocker is worth much...maybe $100 bucks or so. It certainly is no Leo Vince etc...that sucker is heavy! I'm reading up on re-packing pipes...may be a project in my future.

You're right, the bike is a joy to ride...
Dustydude, I saw some nice works over exhausts in these years here in ADV Rider, but certainly haven't kept track of them...
Here is one from Gunnerbuck, just in case you didn't follow the link he names http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...=732362&page=3. Is about his 640 project and includes an exhaust job. He is a great inmate, no doubt he will help you as far as he can in this issue.

Have you already seen "KTM LC4 (640) Thread Index"? (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=86958) It's a great DB, you will not believe what we have there, unbelievable many inmates' job.
The following links are from there:
Creeper’s LC4 Exhaust Thread
LC4 Exhaust Sound Testing Thread

Keep it runnning...
liferider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 01:02 AM   #7083
Motorrad
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 225
Okay.. I have spent half an hour of my life searching... to no avail...

what is the part number of the "Steel 42Tooth KTM branded rear sprocket". that is somewhere around $25.

I need to order 2 tomarrow... and cant find a number...
Motorrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 01:11 AM   #7084
Tseta
Lost

Oddometer: 669
58210051042 SPROCKET STEEL 42T 03 $32.99

Cheers,

Tseta
Tseta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 05:19 AM   #7085
skibum69
slave to gravity

Oddometer: 4,942
Hey Dusty, I'm running the Akro on mine, nice pipe but I wish it was a little quieter, yes the weight savings is big
RIP ITsteve, ride in peace my friend
save $5 on a new smugmug account, use this coupon7frrnSRiTt9Fk
skibum69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 05:33 AM   #7086
Earthscape
Have ya got a helmut?

Oddometer: 301
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete640 View Post
Which fender are you after and what do you refer to as a fender, front screen? (Pic link?)
You may know it as a "mud guard"? The most forward piece of plastic typically on a bike, intended to keep water/dirt/mud off you and the bike. As in...

2004 KTM 950 ADV : : : : : : : 1998 Triumph Tiger
1999 KTM 640 ADV : : : : : : : 1993 Kawasaki KLX650
2007 Kawasaki KLX350S : : : : 1996 Yamaha XT350
Earthscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 05:41 AM   #7087
skibum69
slave to gravity

yeah, that thingy on the front, like I said black goes with everything
Old 03-31-2012, 08:45 AM   #7088
AEsco48
Adventurer

Oddometer: 63
Hello all!

I just bought a 2002 640-E that was converted to an Adventure. Will post pics later... But I was wondering if the owners manuals are available online. I know it's not "legal" to get the service manuals online, but what about the standard owners manual?

I live in Egypt so it not easy for me to buy one and have it shipped.

Would really like to be able to dial in the initial suspension setup for my weight and know a little more about the basics of the bike!

Thx!
AEsco48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 09:13 AM   #7089
bigboyxl
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 311
Quote:
Originally Posted by AEsco48 View Post
Hello all!

I just bought a 2002 640-E that was converted to an Adventure. Will post pics later... But I was wondering if the owners manuals are available online. I know it's not "legal" to get the service manuals online, but what about the standard owners manual?

I live in Egypt so it not easy for me to buy one and have it shipped.

Would really like to be able to dial in the initial suspension setup for my weight and know a little more about the basics of the bike!

Thx!
hey there!
I have a manual in .pdf format, this is for MY2006.
I suppose there should be not so much difference.
If you want this manual - drop me a line with your email address in PM

Nomada panniers, Holan crashbars, Remus silencers etc. Worldwide shipping. Better deals for ADVriders
bigboyxl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 09:14 AM   #7090
B-Rod
RubberNecker

Oddometer: 1,883
Quote:
Originally Posted by skibum69 View Post
Hey Dusty, I'm running the Akro on mine, nice pipe but I wish it was a little quieter, yes the weight savings is big
Might be worthy of a repack. I know a while back GreyDawggg did his. I took apart an FMF with unknown hours, but could have been as high as 150. It had rapidly fried the black anodizing off. There was nothing left of the packing at all! I then did my 60 hour FMF, and it needed to be done. It was getting loud, and noticeably hotter to the touch. Some think the Akro doesn't need to be repacked, but if it didn't, why do they sell kits?? It's hard to find pictures of a disemboweled Akro, but I would venture a guess it is very similair to the FMF.

This is the KTM branded FMF off a 530.

This is the 60 hour FMF off my 525.

Old 03-31-2012, 01:51 PM   #7091
skibum69
slave to gravity

There was still plenty of packing left in mine so I added extra wraps of the FMF material in hopes of making it a little quieter, it is now a little quieter
Old 03-31-2012, 03:32 PM   #7092
Island_Rider
n00bsauce

Oddometer: 28
Okay quick tire question for all the 640a owners...

I picked up a 2007 model a few weeks ago, it's got a set of Dunlop 908's on it. They seem like decent tires, a little unstable once you get a bit of lean going

There's a trip in the works to go from Victoria, BC to Moab this June, and I'm thinking they're not the right tire for the job.

But... there's a set of used Pirelli MT90's up for grabs (used) locally. The size isn't quite right for the rear (150/70-18, vs 140/80-18 OE sizing). Think I'm okay to run the slightly wider tire? The MT90 doesn't have big knobs sticking off the sidewall so I think clearance will be okay... Any reasons not to go for it?

Cheers, guys - And boy, am I happy to have drank the orange kool aid!
(Oh yeah, and the intro part... Been looking at KTM's on and off for the past year or so. Just happened to stumble upon this one when I wasn't ready to buy, so I'm really poor now. But really happy. No big plans for the bike in terms of farkles, and it hasn't quite gotten to 13,000 KM on the odo yet. Currently has a butchered high fender/low fender combo, a side stand, and a goddamn loud horn, and that's really about it. Oh, and a 2" drop kouba link - I can flat foot it perfectly right now so that might go in favor of the stock link. Riding will mostly be daily stuff to work, and some dirt on the weekends. Plus said Moab trip. Did it on a Honda XL600 last year, decided that it just wouldn't do for this year)

Island_Rider screwed with this post 03-31-2012 at 03:46 PM
Island_Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 04:00 PM   #7093
bigboyxl
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 311
Quote:
Originally Posted by Island_Rider View Post

I picked up a 2007 model a few weeks ago, it's got a set of Dunlop 908's on it. They seem like decent tires, a little unstable once you get a bit of lean going

There's a trip in the works to go from Victoria, BC to Moab this June, and I'm thinking they're not the right tire for the job.

But... there's a set of used Pirelli MT90's up for grabs (used) locally. The size isn't quite right for the rear (150/70-18, vs 140/80-18 OE sizing). Think I'm okay to run the slightly wider tire? The MT90 doesn't have big knobs sticking off the sidewall so I think clearance will be okay... Any reasons not to go for it?

(Oh yeah, and the intro part... Been looking at KTM's on and off for the past year or so. Just happened to stumble upon this one when I wasn't ready to buy, so I'm really poor now. But really happy. No big plans for the bike in terms of farkles, and it hasn't quite gotten to 13,000 KM on the odo yet. Currently has a butchered high fender/low fender combo, a side stand, and a goddamn loud horn, and that's really about it. Oh, and a 2" drop kouba link - I can flat foot it perfectly right now so that might go in favor of the stock link. Riding will mostly be daily stuff to work, and some dirt on the weekends. Plus said Moab trip. Did it on a Honda XL600 last year, decided that it just wouldn't do for this year)

Welcome and congratulation with a purchase!
You will love this bike!!!
Could you please make a more close picture of this high/low front fender mod please? Interesting solution, never saw anything like this
Nomada panniers, Holan crashbars, Remus silencers etc. Worldwide shipping. Better deals for ADVriders
bigboyxl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 04:14 PM   #7094
liferider
Never It's enough

Oddometer: 648
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigboyxl View Post
Welcome and congratulation with a purchase!
You will love this bike!!!
Could you please make a more close picture of this high/low front fender mod please? Interesting solution, never saw anything like this
BigboyXL, here you have another case: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...rs#post9012540
Cheers!
liferider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 04:45 PM   #7095
joe cool
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 809
Quote:
Originally Posted by Island_Rider View Post

Nice score!
Don't think the 150/18 will work on your rim.
joe cool is offline   Reply With Quote