ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-13-2012, 09:13 PM   #7336
Gerst
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Gerst's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2008
Location: Durango, CO
Oddometer: 245
Quote:
Originally Posted by thechickencow View Post
OK guys, help maybe?

03 640a, 13k miles, no smog stuff, but stock carb, engine, fuel.

My bike is doing a weird fuel thing again at around 185mi left in the tank. I am puzzled by this. It runs like it's cutting out on fuel, but never stops. Not on reserve, probably still 2-3 gallons left (usually when I fill I'm filling 4-4.5gal, tank holds 7.4 or so). I've read about hiccuping, but it does not seem to be like that (maybe it is). Not sure why it'd always come around the same mileage if it was.

Anyway, the bike does cut in/out for a bit, if I just stay rolling it will go away, and tends to be helped a bit if I do a left hand turn (maybe that's just my psychological thing). If I come to a stop the bike will die during this and be a bitch to restart (usually waiting a few min works).

Here's a theory - tell me if it makes sense...
Bike is getting good fuel when the pressure in the tank can help the weak ass fuel pump. When the gas gets lower in the tank, the pump is more on it's own and doesn't keep up so well (I believe it's about carb level in the tank when it does this). The part I don't get is that it doesn't just stop working, it will work again.

My easy solution is just fill up when I'm about 175mi into a tank, but I'd prefer to ride with only about 5 in there max to not be so heavy. It's a lot more nimble off-road when it's not full.

Do I just pony up and replace the pump or is something else out there?



I'm no expert but I tend to overlook the simple stuff and end up spending unnecessary money (or as I like to think, it's early maintenance)

Are both fuel taps on the lobes open?

Have you pulled the petcock to see if the screen is clogged? Possibly it's clogged toward the bottom creating your problem when low on fuel?

I'm over 20,000 miles on the stock fuel pump.

Best of luck,
Gerst
Gerst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 09:32 PM   #7337
thechickencow
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2008
Location: Green Bay, WI
Oddometer: 750
Thanks Gerst.

I did check the lobes/valves. I pulled the hose from each side and both sides flow well with gas, and the hose that crosses over is clear and free. Seemed at that point to not be a flow issue from the tank.
__________________
'03 ktm 640a
thechickencow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 01:08 AM   #7338
gunnerbuck
Island Hopper
 
gunnerbuck's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2005
Location: N.V.I, B.C.
Oddometer: 4,040
Quote:
Originally Posted by thechickencow View Post
OK guys, help maybe?

03 640a, 13k miles, no smog stuff, but stock carb, engine, fuel.

My bike is doing a weird fuel thing again at around 185mi left in the tank. I am puzzled by this. It runs like it's cutting out on fuel, but never stops. Not on reserve, probably still 2-3 gallons left (usually when I fill I'm filling 4-4.5gal, tank holds 7.4 or so). I've read about hiccuping, but it does not seem to be like that (maybe it is). Not sure why it'd always come around the same mileage if it was.

Anyway, the bike does cut in/out for a bit, if I just stay rolling it will go away, and tends to be helped a bit if I do a left hand turn (maybe that's just my psychological thing). If I come to a stop the bike will die during this and be a bitch to restart (usually waiting a few min works).

Here's a theory - tell me if it makes sense...
Bike is getting good fuel when the pressure in the tank can help the weak ass fuel pump. When the gas gets lower in the tank, the pump is more on it's own and doesn't keep up so well (I believe it's about carb level in the tank when it does this). The part I don't get is that it doesn't just stop working, it will work again.

My easy solution is just fill up when I'm about 175mi into a tank, but I'd prefer to ride with only about 5 in there max to not be so heavy. It's a lot more nimble off-road when it's not full.

Do I just pony up and replace the pump or is something else out there?
Test the pump... Hook up a remote bottle tank to the bike with a clear line and then run the bike and observe the fuel action... Move the tank below carb level and see if the fuel still advances up the line... Rev the engine and see if the fuel moves faster...

When I tested my pump years back it was able to suck the fuel up from the remote tank even when it sat on the floor below the bike...

If your pump does prove to be faulty you can order a rebuild kit which will replace the diaphrams through these guys:http://www.heeters.com/snbpa.shtml#fuelpumprepairkits

The rebuild kit for the DF 52 will supply you with most of the diaphrams you need to refresh your pump, you will have to reuse some of your existing parts in combo to get it back together..

Specifications: Mikuni #DF52-136
  • For use when fuel tank level is below carburetor
  • Vacuum operated
  • Square style, flush mounting
  • Two outlets, 31 LPH flow rate
  • Price (#WP-14-2224)-----$31.99
  • NOTE: dual outlet pumps can be substituted for a single heavy duty pump by plugging one outlet
  • Fuel pump rebuild kit (#ML-11-1844)-----$15.99

gunnerbuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 02:55 AM   #7339
dlh62c
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Oddometer: 1,603
You might check that the inline fuel filter inserted into the steel fuel line of the carb is clear.

daryl

dlh62c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 04:39 AM   #7340
MCLARDIE
Adventurer
 
Joined: Mar 2005
Location: scotland
Oddometer: 54
[QUOTE=MCLARDIE;19133630]Hi guys I am looking to change the speedo on my 2001 adv to the new type ones from a 2002 model has anyone done this I have the complete surround
With the speedo and the rev counter so
I am thinking it will just be the wiring
That will cause the problems



Cheers

still looking for ANY help on this if anyone has done the conversion

cheers

Dave
MCLARDIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 09:19 AM   #7341
thechickencow
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2008
Location: Green Bay, WI
Oddometer: 750
Thanks gunnerbuck - big help. I will give that a try.

Dave, the white looks great!
__________________
'03 ktm 640a
thechickencow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 07:27 AM   #7342
MCLARDIE
Adventurer
 
Joined: Mar 2005
Location: scotland
Oddometer: 54
thanks

Dave
MCLARDIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 09:49 AM   #7343
lovemoto
Adventurer
 
Joined: Jun 2012
Oddometer: 35
KTM 640 ADVENTURE

The first and last time that the 640 was clean.

'arris endures the vibes at highway speed.
lovemoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 09:50 AM   #7344
lovemoto
Adventurer
 
Joined: Jun 2012
Oddometer: 35
KTM 640 ADVENTURE

lovemoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 10:00 AM   #7345
motomark39
I reckon so
 
motomark39's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Location: Odenville, Alabama
Oddometer: 1,061
vacuum line

Quote:
Originally Posted by thechickencow View Post
OK guys, help maybe?

03 640a, 13k miles, no smog stuff, but stock carb, engine, fuel.

My bike is doing a weird fuel thing again at around 185mi left in the tank. I am puzzled by this. It runs like it's cutting out on fuel, but never stops. Not on reserve, probably still 2-3 gallons left (usually when I fill I'm filling 4-4.5gal, tank holds 7.4 or so). I've read about hiccuping, but it does not seem to be like that (maybe it is). Not sure why it'd always come around the same mileage if it was.

Anyway, the bike does cut in/out for a bit, if I just stay rolling it will go away, and tends to be helped a bit if I do a left hand turn (maybe that's just my psychological thing). If I come to a stop the bike will die during this and be a bitch to restart (usually waiting a few min works).

Here's a theory - tell me if it makes sense...
Bike is getting good fuel when the pressure in the tank can help the weak ass fuel pump. When the gas gets lower in the tank, the pump is more on it's own and doesn't keep up so well (I believe it's about carb level in the tank when it does this). The part I don't get is that it doesn't just stop working, it will work again.

My easy solution is just fill up when I'm about 175mi into a tank, but I'd prefer to ride with only about 5 in there max to not be so heavy. It's a lot more nimble off-road when it's not full.

Do I just pony up and replace the pump or is something else out there?
The vacuum line going from the cylinder to the pump started dry rotting on the '03 I had and caused disruption in the fuel flow
__________________
2013 HusabergTE300
2013 KTM 350EXC
motomark39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 12:26 PM   #7346
Fulano
Scooter Trash
 
Fulano's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2007
Location: Raising Hell in Dixie
Oddometer: 424
digital speedo

Need some help. Have an '06 Adventure and just got back from a 4k offroad trip. Speedo and odo where jumping around mid way through the adventure. Will be tearing into it soon but am wondering how do I check to see if it is just the speedo cable or the on board digital readout? Any insights would be appreciated.
__________________
Been to Spain, Maine and Spokane. Jumped rope, smoked dope, farted, fucked and fought round the world, twice. Hell, I've even seen goats fuck in the market place, but I've never seen shit like this!

All I need are loose shoes, tight pussy and a warm place to shit.
Fulano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 12:32 PM   #7347
Geekventure
Adventurer
 
Geekventure's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2005
Location: San Francisco
Oddometer: 82
Spedo...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fulano View Post
Need some help. Have an '06 Adventure and just got back from a 4k offroad trip. Speedo and odo where jumping around mid way through the adventure. Will be tearing into it soon but am wondering how do I check to see if it is just the speedo cable or the on board digital readout? Any insights would be appreciated.
It's electric...first spray electrical contact spray inside each electrical clip under the dashboard. If that doesn't work, open each and check the pressure fits on all pins inside each clip connection. Tighten them up (female end) with a "000" flat-head screwdriver, then re-connect. This should do the trick...
__________________
2002 640 LC 4-E ROT 18L USA
Geekventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 01:31 PM   #7348
Diravi
Adventurer
 
Joined: Jul 2010
Oddometer: 45
640 Adv as commuter?

Hello lucky 640Adv owners!

I'm riding a tricked out Honda XR400 for tight trails, looking for a second and bigger bike for longer offroad trips, no highway, but it would also be my daily commuter in city and lower roads. There's no doubt it will be great for the trips, but my question is: how convenient is a 640Adv for commuting in 3/4 part of the year (climate: eastern Europe), easy (re)start cold/warm, tinkering with choke needed?

I understand it's not a scooter, I can live with compromises. I had a WeeStrom before, that was a really start-and-go bike with it's EFI, of course I'm not expecting the very same from the 640Adv. I also understand a 690 would be better, but I'm sold on the design and history of the 640Adv.

I would be grateful to hear about your experiences, many thanks.
Diravi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 02:24 PM   #7349
Fulano
Scooter Trash
 
Fulano's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2007
Location: Raising Hell in Dixie
Oddometer: 424
I commute with mine and flogg it offroad, but it does not have Honda's reliability. That said, it can't be beat offroad (except by another KTM)
__________________
Been to Spain, Maine and Spokane. Jumped rope, smoked dope, farted, fucked and fought round the world, twice. Hell, I've even seen goats fuck in the market place, but I've never seen shit like this!

All I need are loose shoes, tight pussy and a warm place to shit.
Fulano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 02:25 PM   #7350
Fulano
Scooter Trash
 
Fulano's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2007
Location: Raising Hell in Dixie
Oddometer: 424
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geekventure View Post
It's electric...first spray electrical contact spray inside each electrical clip under the dashboard. If that doesn't work, open each and check the pressure fits on all pins inside each clip connection. Tighten them up (female end) with a "000" flat-head screwdriver, then re-connect. This should do the trick...

Thanks Geek
__________________
Been to Spain, Maine and Spokane. Jumped rope, smoked dope, farted, fucked and fought round the world, twice. Hell, I've even seen goats fuck in the market place, but I've never seen shit like this!

All I need are loose shoes, tight pussy and a warm place to shit.
Fulano is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 01:04 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014