User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-25-2012, 08:51 PM   #7366
Tex76
Motersykle Advntyers

Oddometer: 858
Possible Purchase

OK, I defer to all the smarter people here. Have a chance to buy an 03 640, 21k, Scotts steering, cases, everything reported to be in good shape and bike looks clean!! Asking is $4099, what say you?
The Lost Texan, Wanders East
Tex76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 11:07 PM   #7367
bmwktmbill
Traveler

Oddometer: 4,791
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex76 View Post
OK, I defer to all the smarter people here. Have a chance to buy an 03 640, 21k, Scotts steering, cases, everything reported to be in good shape and bike looks clean!! Asking is $4099, what say you?
I would but it might need a waterpump and cam follower rebuildASAP, check the sprockets and chain and tires, IS THE OIL CLEAN, or does it look like chocolate milk?

All the engines are noisey, arrive early and see how it starts cold, ask about the battery.

Buy it anyway, what cases...Touratechs are worth a grand.
b

The faster it goes the faster it breaks.
And high performance=high maintenance.
Bill Shockley
bmwktmbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 01:02 AM   #7368
mudmaps
Aussie World Traveller

Oddometer: 152
I would have thought $4099 was cheap, even for the US. Great bike, great model. I'd buy another.
mudmaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 05:24 AM   #7369
skibum69
slave to gravity

Oddometer: 5,020
does anyone here know how many needle bearings are in a cam roller? We've found 14 so far, does it make sense to replace both of them?
RIP ITsteve, ride in peace my friend
save $5 on a new smugmug account, use this coupon7frrnSRiTt9Fk
skibum69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 05:46 AM   #7370
Tseta
Lost

Oddometer: 669
Quote:
Originally Posted by skibum69 View Post
does anyone here know how many needle bearings are in a cam roller? We've found 14 so far, does it make sense to replace both of them?
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...&postcount=163

Quote:
I took a closer look at the camshaft area and was able to pull those pieces. This is good news, sort of... I now have about 12 of the needles accounted for. I counted that a new intake roller has 16 needles. The corner of the roller mounting tab is almost a perfect fit onto the rocker arm. This means that it has not rattled around inside the engine for very long, and conversely, there isn't much metal flakes in circulation from that.
-T
Tseta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 06:22 AM   #7371
Alik
viertaKTMotor *****

Oddometer: 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tseta View Post
Ditto:

(Source: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=399867)
Alik is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 08:52 AM   #7372
skibum69
slave to gravity

thanks guys, Tseta, excellent thread you put up from your rebuild. It didn't look like the exhaust roller pin wanted to come out easily? I'll look at it again when I go back to the shop, it would definitely make it cheaper. Reading your thread makes me want to look at doing a little porting and polishing while it's open, a little polishing at the very least. Time is an issue though as I'm hoping to be getting out on a trip in a few weeks
Old 08-26-2012, 09:01 AM   #7373
Alik
viertaKTMotor *****

Oddometer: 225
Quote:
thanks guys, Tseta, excellent thread you put up from your rebuild. It didn't look like the exhaust roller pin wanted to come out easily? I'll look at it again when I go back to the shop, it would definitely make it cheaper. Reading your thread makes me want to look at doing a little porting and polishing while it's open, a little polishing at the very least. Time is an issue though as I'm hoping to be getting out on a trip in a few weeks
The pin roller presses pretty easy in and out if you use vice and some proper size metric sockets like a press. Eventually You can use a Dremmel rotary to cautiously "open" the "flat" edges of the old pin. But I guess press out is not longer your problem if you have to collect the pin rollers from inside of the engine. :)
Alik is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 09:11 AM   #7374
skibum69
slave to gravity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alik View Post
The pin roller presses pretty easy in and out if you use vice and some proper size metric sockets like a press. Eventually You can use a Dremmel rotary to cautiously "open" the "flat" edges of the old pin. But I guess press out is not longer your problem if you have to collect the pin rollers from inside of the engine. :)
I was thinking that maybe I should replace the exhaust side now too?
Old 08-26-2012, 10:52 AM   #7375
B-Rod
RubberNecker

Oddometer: 1,890
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alik View Post
When I did both of mine, they pressed in and out very easy using sockets and a vice. Peened then with a centre punch. I also did the water pump at the same. They did provide one wrong bearing with my pump parts, but I wasn't too worried about using one of the old ones. If you don't have some already, get yourself some anaerobic sealant. Loctite 518, Permatex Flange sealant, or Würth Flange sealant. I have experience with the latter 2, and all three are anaerobic, and have sealed everything from KTM rocker boxes to VW split engine cases.
You can also avoid this yucky mess, since it requires so little, and doesn't dry until everything is bolt down tight.

Kind of a chicken/ egg situation, but if it only dries with the lack of O2, why doesn't it harden in the tube

B-Rod screwed with this post 08-26-2012 at 10:58 AM
B-Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 01:43 PM   #7376
skibum69
slave to gravity

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-Rod View Post
When I did both of mine, they pressed in and out very easy using sockets and a vice. Peened then with a centre punch. I also did the water pump at the same. They did provide one wrong bearing with my pump parts, but I wasn't too worried about using one of the old ones. If you don't have some already, get yourself some anaerobic sealant. Loctite 518, Permatex Flange sealant, or Würth Flange sealant. I have experience with the latter 2, and all three are anaerobic, and have sealed everything from KTM rocker boxes to VW split engine cases.
You can also avoid this yucky mess, since it requires so little, and doesn't dry until everything is bolt down tight.

Kind of a chicken/ egg situation, but if it only dries with the lack of O2, why doesn't it harden in the tube
Ok, I get you. I think I'll order two new ones and give a try to press out the other one tomorrow. I definitely don't want to forget anything and have to order twice. That and a new countershaft sprocket seal.
Old 08-26-2012, 03:57 PM   #7377
Fulano
Scooter Trash

Oddometer: 424
Quote:
I was thinking that maybe I should replace the exhaust side now too?

I rebuilt my water pump and replaced both cams as preventive maintenance at 25k miles. Have slightly over 30k now and going strong.

All I need are loose shoes, tight pussy and a warm place to shit.
Fulano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 03:59 PM   #7378
Fulano
Scooter Trash

Oddometer: 424
Tars

By the by, has anyone fitted a 120x80 rear on the beast before? Got one sitting around and I am to cheap to let it go to waste

All I need are loose shoes, tight pussy and a warm place to shit.
Fulano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 04:07 PM   #7379
skibum69
slave to gravity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fulano View Post
I rebuilt my water pump and replaced both cams as preventive maintenance at 25k miles. Have slightly over 30k now and going strong.
good thought, what's involved in a water pump rebuild?
Old 08-26-2012, 04:35 PM   #7380
B-Rod
RubberNecker

Oddometer: 1,890
Quote:
good thought, what's involved in a water pump rebuild?
Looking at the fiche, 2 bearings, 2 o-rings, a seal, and the cover gasket. Here is a guide that I used.