Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-05-2013, 08:05 AM   #7876
philosobrad
problem_solvent

Oddometer: 153
Anyone have a pair o' those folding mirrors that they'd like to part with?
Old 02-05-2013, 09:25 AM   #7877
Earthscape
Have ya got a helmut?

Oddometer: 299
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCLARDIE View Post
Hi that is my mates bike,he bought it new in 2000 and still has it today
it was the first 640 adv in scotland ,it has been changed quite alot, that is a ktm 950 adv front end

cheers

dave
Interesting. I always felt the 50mm WP Extreme forks that are original on early models were fantastic, second to none. I thought perhaps KTM switched for economic and not performance reasons, being able to use the same basic forks across their range instead of having a different fork just for the 640.
Anyway, the bike looks great, and has the extremely rare "wild frame kickstand tab".

2004 KTM 950 ADV : : : : : : : 1998 Triumph Tiger
1999 KTM 640 ADV : : : : : : : 1993 Kawasaki KLX650
2007 Kawasaki KLX350S : : : : 1996 Yamaha XT350
Earthscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 10:41 AM   #7878
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 8,674
Quote:
Originally Posted by 640 Armageddon View Post
The thread started back in August 2012. He had 18 carbs approximately. So From August.... ehm.... 6 months. 3 carbs per month
And one of the first responders said he wanted all the carbs.
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 11:36 AM   #7879
skibum69
slave to gravity

Oddometer: 4,942
Quote:
Originally Posted by philosobrad View Post
Anyone have a pair o' those folding mirrors that they'd like to part with?
go order yourself a pair of Doubletakes, mine work better than stock. http://www.doubletakemirror.com
RIP ITsteve, ride in peace my friend
save $5 on a new smugmug account, use this coupon7frrnSRiTt9Fk
skibum69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 11:53 AM   #7880
bikesurf
n00b

Oddometer: 6
Panniers

Hi All,
I've been looking at getting at set of panniers for my '05 640A, but can't decide between Pak-Meister aluminum 36L, Pelican cases or Wolfman Expedition Dry bags. I've read a ton of threads, but I'm still having a hard time deciding. Does anyone have a picture of their 640 with it all set up or any additional info that can help me. Also does anyone run TT 35L on both sides? How does it look? Thanks for any info you have.
Jen
bikesurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 12:55 PM   #7881
YetiGS
No Talent Ass Clown

Oddometer: 7,306
Quote:
Originally Posted by bikesurf View Post
Hi All,
I've been looking at getting at set of panniers for my '05 640A, but can't decide between Pak-Meister aluminum 36L, Pelican cases or Wolfman Expedition Dry bags. I've read a ton of threads, but I'm still having a hard time deciding. Does anyone have a picture of their 640 with it all set up or any additional info that can help me. Also does anyone run TT 35L on both sides? How does it look? Thanks for any info you have.
Jen
Jen, if you're going to be riding off-road with your bike loaded up, I'd recommend using soft luggage. I use aluminum bags (Happy Trails) on my GS but that's because I use it for work and need to be able to lock the bags.

For my 625 "Adventure", I'll be using soft bags. Trying to decide between Giant Loop and Wolfman and ?? at this point.
"You had better bring an extra magazine. Yeti's amped up on weird shit are hard to bring down." Lonestar2112
YetiGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 01:49 PM   #7882
skibum69
slave to gravity

Oddometer: 4,942

Hi Jen, here's my setup using Ortlieb bags-100% waterproof and tested by yours truly for proof. I don't tend to do more than dirt roads loaded up and this has worked well for me for almost 20K of touring one and 2up.

I wouldn't go Pelican for panniers due to weight but I like the lockable one for a top box. Usually it has my cooking stuff but I've travelled with my computer in there with good success-multiple drops, no breakage.

The duffel holds tent and sleeping stuff, running 2up it rides on the top box.

cozy but it works, helps if you like your passenger
RIP ITsteve, ride in peace my friend
save $5 on a new smugmug account, use this coupon7frrnSRiTt9Fk
skibum69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 04:24 PM   #7883
Jimo368
intrepid traveller

Oddometer: 132
I've got the opportunity to purchase an 07 640 ADV that seems to be in great shape, but I havent seen it in person yet. Mileage unknown at this point but seems to be low. I have scoured this forum for all the info I can get but was wondering what kind of riding experience it will be. I have had a few dual sports over the years and one was a KLR. I found it to be a very crude and cobbled together imitation of a bike with an engine better suited for tilling the garden. The DT 200 I had before that was a cracker of a bike though. How is the 640 for vibes, basic maintanence and overall reliability? Almost all of my many bikes have spoiled me with turn-key japanese reliability. What about touring range and fuel consumption while we're at it? Thanks guys.
Jimo368 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 04:28 PM   #7884
Gryphon12
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,194
Quote:
Originally Posted by YetiGS View Post
Jen, if you're going to be riding off-road with your bike loaded up, I'd recommend using soft luggage. I use aluminum bags (Happy Trails) on my GS but that's because I use it for work and need to be able to lock the bags.

For my 625 "Adventure", I'll be using soft bags. Trying to decide between Giant Loop and Wolfman and ?? at this point.
Maybe Kriega's?

Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world;
indeed, it's the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Gryphon12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 04:29 PM   #7885
Boon Booni
Red Clay Halo

Oddometer: 12,851
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimo368 View Post
I've got the opportunity to purchase an 07 640 ADV that seems to be in great shape, but I havent seen it in person yet. Mileage unknown at this point but seems to be low. I have scoured this forum for all the info I can get but was wondering what kind of riding experience it will be. I have had a few dual sports over the years and one was a KLR. I found it to be a very crude and cobbled together imitation of a bike with an engine better suited for tilling the garden. The DT 200 I had before that was a cracker of a bike though. How is the 640 for vibes, basic maintanence and overall reliability? Almost all of my many bikes have spoiled me with turn-key japanese reliability. What about touring range and fuel consumption while we're at it? Thanks guys.
The bike will vibrate a lot. You will know quickly if you have any loose fillings.

You can be Han Solo, and I can be another Han Solo...
Boon Booni is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 04:30 PM   #7886
Boon Booni
Red Clay Halo

Oddometer: 12,851
Quote:
Hi All,
Jen
Would you mod a rack to work with the wolfman dry bags?

You can be Han Solo, and I can be another Han Solo...
Boon Booni is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 05:01 PM   #7887
dnrobertson
Big Bike, Slow Rider

Oddometer: 693
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boon Booni View Post
Would you mod a rack to work with the wolfman dry bags?
Wolfman sell a kit (4 D-rings with velcro) which allows you to mount the bags securely. It works well on my racks.

2005 KTM 640A
2008 Wee-Strom
dnrobertson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 06:32 PM   #7888
bmwktmbill
Traveler

Oddometer: 4,731
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimo368 View Post
The KTM 640a is the Superbowl of dualsports.

Not everyone gets a ring.
It's a detuned and reconstituted PD racer clone.

There will be blood.
Go for it if you dare.
45 mpg.
7.5 gallons.

Nothing else quite like it.
bill

The faster it goes the faster it breaks.
And high performance=high maintenance.
Bill Shockley
bmwktmbill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 06:38 PM   #7889
bmwktmbill
Traveler

Oddometer: 4,731
Quote:
Hi All,
Jen
The reason the hard bags are sized differently is to equalize the drag side to side. Are you running the stock muffler?
That matters because the various comp mufflers create an ugly space. They are smaller.
bill

The faster it goes the faster it breaks.
And high performance=high maintenance.
Bill Shockley
bmwktmbill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 06:47 PM   #7890
gunnerbuck
Island Hopper

Oddometer: 3,707
Quote:
Hi All,
Jen
This thread has some good info:http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=286747
gunnerbuck is offline   Reply With Quote