mgorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 09:56 PM   #8042
KTM640Dakar
Motorsick

Oddometer: 1,990
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgorman View Post
I've been running the MT21's, seem to work well for me everywhere except sand

They work great in the sand when the are new and aired down to 18 pounds using rim locks.

It is not the destination, it's the journey.
KTM640Dakar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 09:58 PM   #8043
Boon Booni
Red Clay Halo

Oddometer: 12,859
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgorman View Post
I've been running the MT21's, seem to work well for me everywhere except sand
What kind of life are you getting out of them?

You can be Han Solo, and I can be another Han Solo...
Boon Booni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 10:01 PM   #8044
KTM640Dakar
Motorsick

Oddometer: 1,990
3000 miles max. To the nub.

It is not the destination, it's the journey.
KTM640Dakar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 10:13 PM   #8045
gunnerbuck
Island Hopper

Oddometer: 3,726
I like the MT 21 for a front tire, but don't often run them on the back because of their short lifespan... We run a lot of shot rock roads and this really kills the MT 21s tread fast...
gunnerbuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 11:00 PM   #8046
Baggi'tard
Assventure rider

Oddometer: 549
New owner, 2000 640 Enduro/Adventure

Hey y'all new owner here. Picked up a 2000 enduro that has been fairly well adventurized a couple months back, had it delivered while deployed to Afghanistan. Planning a few weeks of Colorado and Utah this June with a few friends. I thought this would be a great choice for that terrain. My other dual sport is an MZ Baghira, but it's a lot heavier and not as "crashable" as the KTM. Been learning a LOT from this thread and the LC4 index thread. I've done a ton of maintenance and repairs getting it ready; fixing some funky/useless wiring, rebuilding carburetor, cleaning/painting, putting on bars and grips and stuff that I like, tires, gearing, and I just cleaned up the exhaust pipes with some repairs/high temp paint, and welding. I've only been able to take it on one 180 mile trail/enduro ride prior to our ride next month. So far so good, going to be a great choice for this trip

this is what it looked like when I got it.

here is what it looks like now..

pipes were covered in heat wrap, so looked like this...plus one of the spring hooks was already missing and several were on their way to peeling off. And I also found a broken radiator/tank mount tab, so all that stuff got welded back up and the pipes are getting a nice coat of ceramic high temp spray paint.

"Welcome to Tennessee, the patron state of shootin' stuff." Bob Lee Swagger.
KTM 640E, KTM Duke II, Ducati Multistrada 1100S

Baggi'tard screwed with this post 05-12-2013 at 11:08 PM
Baggi'tard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 05:04 AM   #8047
mountaincadre
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 343
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baggi'tard View Post
Hey y'all new owner here. Picked up a 2000 enduro that has been fairly well adventurized a couple months back, had it delivered while deployed to Afghanistan. Planning a few weeks of Colorado and Utah this June with a few friends. I thought this would be a great choice for that terrain. My other dual sport is an MZ Baghira, but it's a lot heavier and not as "crashable" as the KTM. Been learning a LOT from this thread and the LC4 index thread. I've done a ton of maintenance and repairs getting it ready; fixing some funky/useless wiring, rebuilding carburetor, cleaning/painting, putting on bars and grips and stuff that I like, tires, gearing, and I just cleaned up the exhaust pipes with some repairs/high temp paint, and welding. I've only been able to take it on one 180 mile trail/enduro ride prior to our ride next month. So far so good, going to be a great choice for this trip

this is what it looked like when I got it.

here is what it looks like now..

pipes were covered in heat wrap, so looked like this...plus one of the spring hooks was already missing and several were on their way to peeling off. And I also found a broken radiator/tank mount tab, so all that stuff got welded back up and the pipes are getting a nice coat of ceramic high temp spray paint.

Looking good mate, there's something about a matt black finish that makes any bike look good.
mountaincadre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 09:06 AM   #8048
biensur22
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 179
Quote:
Congrats! Crazy to see the Adv tank without the fairing. Did the PO add a fuel pump?

Past Rides: 1994 KTM 400 EXC WP/D LC4 - Plated; 2001 BMW F650GS Thumper; 1970 CB175; 2003 KLR250
biensur22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 09:52 AM   #8049
mgorman
Crashing since 1964

Oddometer: 4,906
[QUOTE=KTM640Dakar;21395373]They work great in the sand when the are new and aired down to 18 pounds using rim locks.

The stuff I was riding is was pretty loose and pretty deep, like dry beach sand but slightly more granular like kitty litter (Northern Michigan)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boon Booni View Post
What kind of life are you getting out of them?

It's hard to say. I go through one set a year. I primarily only ride the bike when I know there will be plenty of dirt like dual sports or back roads exploring so that helps them live longer. When I amon the pavement, I rearely ever get on the gas hard so that I don't wear them out. Typically, I put a new set on every spring and when I know I'll be burning up blacktop with little chance of dirt, i'll stick a set of worn ones on to wear them out instead. It also helps that I have 4 road going bikes so wear get distributed across the family.

Right now there are a pair of Metzler 6 days take offs from a friend on it that I got for free. Been kinda fun playing hooligan and not caring that they are getting chewed up!

AES Racing - Crow Canyon Riding Park
mgorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 11:25 AM   #8050
Baggi'tard
Assventure rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by biensur22 View Post
Congrats! Crazy to see the Adv tank without the fairing. Did the PO add a fuel pump?
Indeed, vacuum operated pump is installed, along with the adventure tank support bracket (don't know it it would work without it?), and I have the Adventure model seat too, but it's off to Renazco being built. I also have the stock tank and seat.

Old 05-13-2013, 01:15 PM   #8051
clintnz
Trans-Global Chook Chaser

Oddometer: 3,200
Quote:
Hey y'all new owner here. Picked up a 2000 enduro that has been fairly well adventurized a couple months back,
It sure looks better in black, nice!

Does the headlight/dash mount off the frame or off the forks/triples?

Cheers
Clint

The wilderness, the desert - why are they not crowded
.................................................. .....with pilgrims?
clintnz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 01:19 PM   #8052
Baggi'tard
Assventure rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by clintnz View Post
It sure looks better in black, nice!

Does the headlight/dash mount off the frame or off the forks/triples?

Cheers
Clint
it's the Trail Tech HID race light, they mount onto the forks between the clamps. Cool thing is the headlight frame/housing mounts on pins with rubber bushings to the fork mounts, so you can pop it off easy enuff to get to the wiring and such. The dash and GPS mount are mounted onto the headlight frame too, it's tubular aluminum.

Old 05-13-2013, 01:56 PM   #8053
Rockaway
Gregtiger800

Oddometer: 69
2007 Ktm 640 question?

I'm looking at 2007 ktm 640 with 2600 miles in very good shape. What is a good asking price? Their asking $6500.00.

Any help is I appreciated.

Greg
Rockaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 02:38 PM   #8054
mxchamp
Registered Lurker

Oddometer: 1,394
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockaway View Post
I'm looking at 2007 ktm 640 with 2600 miles in very good shape. What is a good asking price? Their asking $6500.00.

Greg
Please forward the information of the seller.

I will get back to you as soon as its in my garage! :)

Encouraging Serious Horseplay!
mxchamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 03:22 PM   #8055
biensur22
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockaway View Post

Greg
Sounds a bit high, but these things don't come up that often, so frankly it's worth whatever you're willing to pay. That's really low mileage an the best year, noting it was the last year - they had all kinks worked out that were ever goin to be worked out. I would expect it to go for around $6000

Past Rides: 1994 KTM 400 EXC WP/D LC4 - Plated; 2001 BMW F650GS Thumper; 1970 CB175; 2003 KLR250
biensur22 is offline   Reply With Quote