Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-28-2013, 07:50 PM   #8221
2 SPOT
wannabe

Oddometer: 2,717
thats funny somewhere, i had an '03 back in the day, sold it, and recently got back into an '03, looks like you did the same?

blithering, from a buyer standpoint not much changed to look for other than make sure the hydro clutch is working well and not leaking.
2 SPOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 09:40 PM   #8222
wrk2surf
on the gas or brakes

Oddometer: 6,221
Quote:
Originally Posted by Somewhere Far Beyond View Post
Here's my 03 Adventure, as of today/yesterday.

Just put the Leo Vince exhaust on her yesterday. Sounds purdy.

It's been rejetted, Rally Raid Engineering carbon fiber/kevlar tank guards, KTM racing airbox cover, and.... that's about it, right now. Folding mirrors are on the list, along with pannier racks, some aux lighting, and maybe some other farkles. Running Rotella 5w/40 full synth as of last oil change. Currently at about... 5500 miles or so.
Nice Bike!
a few suggestions... spend a couple extra $$'s and use mobil 1 or Motorex and secondly you want to run the plastic side cover over the racing cover for a couple of reasons.. 1 they designed it to be ran that way and two water can enter the airbox and carb much easier with it off... you may find the screening wont stay put.. I used a little thicker guage stainless mesh similar and tack welded it ..
Thanks for the 2014 support:BELL HELMETS, SCOTT USA, Kriega USA, Carbon-pro.com, GPR stabilzers, Renazco Racing, Sidi/Motonation, Masters paint and body, Magura , motolab , Tripy GPS, Loctite and Dunlop tires .
wrk2surf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 09:58 PM   #8223
gunnerbuck
Island Hopper

Oddometer: 3,802
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrk2surf View Post
Nice Bike!
a few suggestions... spend a couple extra $$'s and use mobil 1 or Motorex and secondly you want to run the plastic side cover over the racing cover for a couple of reasons.. 1 they designed it to be ran that way and two water can enter the airbox and carb much easier with it off... you may find the screening wont stay put.. I used a little thicker guage stainless mesh similar and tack welded it ..
Everybody has a favorite oil, but why spend extra to get no added benefit?

Gotta agree with you on the sidecover though, remove the inner gasket cover off the sidepanel and put it back on over the screen... If you ride in the rain with it open to the outside like that it will suck extra moisture in..
gunnerbuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 05:14 AM   #8224
blitheringidiot
Regurgitated User

Oddometer: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 SPOT View Post
thats funny somewhere, i had an '03 back in the day, sold it, and recently got back into an '03, looks like you did the same?

blithering, from a buyer standpoint not much changed to look for other than make sure the hydro clutch is working well and not leaking.
Thanks 2 SPOT.
blitheringidiot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 05:26 AM   #8225
matt1
LC$

Oddometer: 16
Wicked

My 97 620 before and after with a few parts here and there off later models:

[IMG][IMG][/IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][IMG][/IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][IMG][/IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][IMG][/IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][IMG][/IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][IMG][/IMG][/IMG]

https://iinofq.bay.livefilestore.com...268.JPG?psid=1
https://fxbcjg.bay.livefilestore.com...973.JPG?psid=1
https://fxdoda.bay.livefilestore.com...957.JPG?psid=1
https://rbipxw.bay.livefilestore.com...275.JPG?psid=1
https://iinofq.bay.livefilestore.com...956.JPG?psid=1
https://rbipxw.bay.livefilestore.com...275.JPG?psid=1

matt1 screwed with this post 07-29-2013 at 09:21 AM
matt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 09:11 AM   #8226
gunnerbuck
Island Hopper

Your Heinz 57 motor looks good... Counting all the LC 4 variations this power plant had a pretty long production run...
Old 07-29-2013, 10:58 AM   #8227
Somewhere Far Beyond
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 SPOT View Post

Sure did!

Had an 03, sold it for an 06 950 Adventure S, decided that thing was too heavy for my size and riding style, and sold it to get another 03 640. Full circle.
Somewhere far beyond...
Somewhere Far Beyond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 11:05 AM   #8228
Somewhere Far Beyond
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 124
Tips

Thanks for the tips wrk2surf and gunnerbuck! I'll go do that now. I was under the impression the racing airbox cover was supposed to be run plastic cover off.
Somewhere far beyond...
Somewhere Far Beyond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 11:35 AM   #8229
TaxMan

Oddometer: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by supercoyote View Post

Here's a picture of my 2002.

Having trouble deciding on panniers though. Anyone tried the Wolfman Rolie system on their adventure?
I haven't tried the whole system, but I do have one of the large rollie bags that I use for a tail bag. it is big enough for my tools and tire repair kit with enough space to stuff an extra layer in if need be. i mount it on the touratech luggage rack, which I like a lot as it has plenty of lash points (http://www.touratech-usa.com/Store/2...-LC4-Adventure).

i like the idea of the rollie system and whether or not it will work for you will depend on the volume of gear you need. it would work for me, but only for day trips. i'm a bigger guy so all of my camping kit seems to take up a lot of space (long sleeping bag, long tent, long pants, long shoes, etc.). I try to keep my gear down to just a waterproof duffle if i can (motel sleeps), but if i'm going to be out and camping, I use the Ortlieb panniers + the duffle.

if we're going to set up a basecamp, I'll bring the rollie full of tools and tire gear in the bottom of my duffle, leave my gear and luggage at camp and then use the rollie as my day use tool-tail bag. it is light enough that i don't feel like i'm carrying much wasted weight, and of course, it doesn't take much volume.

the more i crash offroad (this is supposed to happen less over time, right? ), the less i like using panniers at all. the Ortliebs took two back-to-back big hits two seasons ago. one of the straps pulled through a rivet. i sure as hell don't blame the bag. i have to say they held up surprisingly well, under the conditions, and i was able to ziptie the remainder of the trip, then stitch and rivet everything back together at home (almost good as new). that being said, a packed 640 adv sliding down hill at speed on any pannier just isn't going to be good for a bag. i know it is preferable to try and keep the weight down low, but as i mentioned above, i'm leaning more toward trying to keep everything in a lean waterproof duffel on the tail if possible.

my unsolicited advice before spending any $$ would be to go through the hassle of a test pack. take a bag you know the volume of and then cram all your gear that you could possibly use for any trip. this is going to be different for each rider. once you get your gear in, you'll know how much volume you'll need for any system you are shopping for. then buy for slightly less space than you think you'll need so you'll be less likely to try and bring your vinyl Dylan collection.

if you go for the rollie system, it would be cool to see pics of how it works out for you. good luck!
Old 07-29-2013, 03:32 PM   #8230
2 SPOT
wannabe

Oddometer: 2,717
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrk2surf View Post
Nice Bike!
spend a couple extra $$'s and use mobil 1 or Motorex

ok i can understand the motorex as its a KTM thing, but any particular reason why youd reco mobil 1 over rotella? rotella T6 is full syn AND JASO cert, seems like rotella edges ahead.
2 SPOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 03:33 PM   #8231
mxchamp
Registered Lurker

Oddometer: 1,418
Touratech Zega's

Very nice!

Encouraging Serious Horseplay!
mxchamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 05:44 PM   #8232
TowPro
Getting there

Oddometer: 2,798
Hi everyone, first time posting as a KTM owner.
This is my 2nd LC4. I had 95 KTMLC4 EXC 6 days version, complete with "Team Mexico" on the forks. they ran it 1 day at Tulsa ISDE.

Today I picked up a 2000 640 Enduro.

2100 original miles. Yes I believe the mileage is correct. Title showed first owner sold it with somewhere over 650 miles in 2006. then current owner didn't ride it very far. I believe its only on its 2nd set of tires . Even the frame is clean where the boot rubs. Rubber inserts are still in the pegs. Last owner road stone roads with it, always stored inside.

It has the 12L tank. KTM tank Bag. Orange plastic with an extra silver headlight shroud and rear fender.
all the decals are still on it.
KTM skid plate, both center and side stands.
Lowering link on rear (but I have the original links).
I checked it out for all the oil leaks listed here, none were found. Motor sounds good and tight, no bad rattling, etc. No smoke when first started.
I don't think it was owned by any hard core off roaders because it don't have any rim locks on it.

anyway, couple questions:

1) what is the extended length of the stock front forks?
It has a lowering link, but fork caps are still flush with top of triple clamp. I don't think the person who put on the lowering link did any mods to the forks, but I want to measure to know for sure. so if they lowered the back 1.5", but left the forks in stock location, the rake has to be way off. How far to you move the forks up in the triple clamps for 1.5" drop on the back end?
I know, I read all the BAD about what people think of lowering kits. I can ride the bike in stock form, but I want to try the lowering kit for a while. At lest until I get time to pull it all apart to lube everything.

2) Rim Recall. I have seen the 2001 was listed for a rim recall, and the 2000 talked about putting these special clamps on the spokes. and I have read about 2000-2002 having a rim recall?
This one has these clamps on the spokes. Did they later end up recalling the complete rim on the 2000?

time to get to work and clean it up, check the filters, maybe change the oil (which still looks clear).
I might have some dirt in the pilot jet, and by the looks of the pipe I might need to richen the needle 1 clip (then see what jets are really in it, measure the slide holes, etc, etc to see if any mods have been done to the carb).

Old 07-29-2013, 07:33 PM   #8233
clintnz
Trans-Global Chook Chaser

Oddometer: 3,300
Looks nice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TowPro View Post
It has the 12L tank.
That looks like an 18L tank to me. 12L has separate bolt-on shrouds around the radiators, on the 18L the tank itself wraps the rads. Can't help much on the other questions sorry.

I just swapped my 640E from the Adv touring trim of last weekends ride...

(note 18L tank)

...to dirtbike mode with 12L tank for the gnarly 4x4 trails planned for next weekend:

Been a while since I've ridden it in stripped down form, with full knobblys & lower gearing, bring on Saturday!

Cheers
Clint

The wilderness, the desert - why are they not crowded
.................................................. .....with pilgrims?
clintnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 06:04 AM   #8234
skibum69
slave to gravity

Oddometer: 5,011
Anyone ever have their clutch leaking from the slave cylinder into the engine case?
RIP ITsteve, ride in peace my friend
save $5 on a new smugmug account, use this coupon7frrnSRiTt9Fk
skibum69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 07:46 AM   #8235
gunnerbuck
Island Hopper

Quote:
Originally Posted by skibum69 View Post
Anyone ever have their clutch leaking from the slave cylinder into the engine case?
Hi Mike,

If your slave O-ring is bad for sure the master will push the fluid right into the engine...

You better check the condition of the main shaft needle bearing while you have the slave removed... Put your thumb on the shaft end and give it a wiggle, it should still be held pretty stable by the needles...

gunnerbuck screwed with this post 01-24-2014 at 09:53 AM