ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-02-2014, 11:14 AM   #8461
Dirtstar1
Human torpedo
 
Joined: Dec 2010
Location: Almost mexico I.B.
Oddometer: 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by WIsixfitty View Post
Very nice. Someday I will ride the real desert. We have sand but just not much open area. Below is the closest area I have to "pretend" I'm riding the dez.

This is an area of Michigans upper penninsula that was logged out years ago, burned so hot it killed all of the vegitation even below the surface. Not much re-grew.

Kingston Plains.





This is another area I want to experience on a bike. Really big hills or mountains. Upper midwest does not offer me any "pretend" areas for this.


Vids help in the dead of winter here when you can't (shoulder) ride the ice.
When does it warm up? Sounds like time to head south for the winter. Lol
Dirtstar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 01:31 PM   #8462
WIsixfitty
ceiling unlimited
 
Joined: Aug 2006
Location: west of road america
Oddometer: 2,083
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtstar1 View Post
When does it warm up? Sounds like time to head south for the winter. Lol
Lake Superior is just a few miles away so this area gets huge lake effect snowfalls.

May is a good month for the UP. Otherwise heated vests come out March-ish for road riding.

Move south? That idea gets questioned more and more every year.
__________________
sideways and smiling
WIsixfitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 06:14 PM   #8463
KTM640Dakar
Motorsick
 
KTM640Dakar's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2004
Location: Oxbow Lake
Oddometer: 2,008
Quote:
Originally Posted by WIsixfitty View Post
Very nice. Someday I will ride the real desert. We have sand but just not much open area. Below is the closest area I have to "pretend" I'm riding the dez.

This is an area of Michigans upper penninsula that was logged out years ago, burned so hot it killed all of the vegitation even below the surface. Not much re-grew.

Kingston Plains.

Actually compared to wide open sand dunes the U P sand trails are more difficult because you only get one line.

I have ridden Death Valley, Colorado, and all over Michigan. The Upper Penn rates right up there in awesome off road.

My buddy from California comes every year to ride in Michigan and loves riding the U P.

__________________
A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

It is not the destination, it's the journey.
KTM640Dakar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 06:59 PM   #8464
Dirtstar1
Human torpedo
 
Joined: Dec 2010
Location: Almost mexico I.B.
Oddometer: 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by KTM640Dakar View Post
Actually compared to wide open sand dunes the U P sand trails are more difficult because you only get one line.

I have ridden Death Valley, Colorado, and all over Michigan. The Upper Penn rates right up there in awesome off road.

My buddy from California comes every year to ride in Michigan and loves riding the U P.

I'll ride anywhere I can, but I really enjoy 2 tire track stuff like in your photo. Moab Utah as hundreds of miles of that sandy 2 tire track roads. I try to go every spring if I can.
Dirtstar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 07:31 PM   #8465
WIsixfitty
ceiling unlimited
 
Joined: Aug 2006
Location: west of road america
Oddometer: 2,083
Quote:
Originally Posted by KTM640Dakar View Post
Actually compared to wide open sand dunes the U P sand trails are more difficult because you only get one line.

I have ridden Death Valley, Colorado, and all over Michigan. The Upper Penn rates right up there in awesome off road.

My buddy from California comes every year to ride in Michigan and loves riding the U P.

coolio.

I still want to go west but the U P is still epic.
__________________
sideways and smiling
WIsixfitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 09:02 AM   #8466
hajoktejnSI
Adventurer
 
hajoktejnSI's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2013
Location: Ljubljana Slovenia
Oddometer: 26
Does anyone know a color code that the frame's coloured in?
hajoktejnSI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 09:24 PM   #8467
bmwktmbill
Traveler
 
Joined: Jul 2005
Location: Traveler
Oddometer: 4,839
Quote:
Originally Posted by hajoktejnSI View Post
Does anyone know a color code that the frame's coloured in?

Go to Ace Hardware and look at the Ace Rustolium.

One of the grey colors is close.

bill
__________________
'02 KTM 640 Adventure-lowered
"On the road there are no special cases."
Cormack McCarthy-The Crossing

The faster it goes the faster it breaks.
And high performance=high maintenance.
Bill Shockley
bmwktmbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 11:36 PM   #8468
hajoktejnSI
Adventurer
 
hajoktejnSI's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2013
Location: Ljubljana Slovenia
Oddometer: 26
Tnx, found it on their site. But my nearest store is an ocean away from me?
Will try and look in my local bauhaus, obi, etc.
hajoktejnSI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 09:06 PM   #8469
shiryas
Dragon with matches
 
Joined: Jan 2013
Location: Western Colorado
Oddometer: 89
WTB Tank Crash Bars

I am looking for a set of the 640 Adv Tank Crash Bars. Either Holan or Hepco Becker. I know they all crack or break and may not really protect the tank that much, just need a basis for building a more durable set up.

Reply here or PM.

Thanks, Chris
shiryas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 09:42 PM   #8470
Beta450
Adventurer
 
Joined: Nov 2010
Location: El Centro, Ca.
Oddometer: 79
Alburmoto.com has crash bars for sale.
Beta450 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 05:36 PM   #8471
rtwpaul
out riding...
 
rtwpaul's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2011
Location: round the world
Oddometer: 1,903
a shout out to all the 640 adv 'solo' riders who may have parts laying around gathering dust that you don't need, and i do

does anyone have passenger peg mounts 5810300320019 or 5840304800090 is the left side numbers & 5810300420019 or 5810300420090 is the right side numbers (just the mount brackets) to fit the subframe 5840300234490

i need both left and right sides

these were the same for all years from what i've researched and for a visual reference its part number 5 below



I leave on my RTW on my 625 SXC in 120 days and as my bike didn't come with them i think it would make mounting of my Giant Loop a lot easier/ secure rather than just to the subframe

if you can help please drop me a PM and i can pay you via Paypal
rtwpaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 05:55 PM   #8472
shiryas
Dragon with matches
 
Joined: Jan 2013
Location: Western Colorado
Oddometer: 89
RTWPaul,

I was in the same situation. I bought mine used on CL (to anchor my Great Basin). There is a set on bay, but they are in England.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/KTM-640-LC4-...4e965d&vxp=mtr

Might try a lowball offer with a link to your build thread, needs, and reason.

Best of luck
shiryas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 05:58 PM   #8473
rtwpaul
out riding...
 
rtwpaul's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2011
Location: round the world
Oddometer: 1,903
Quote:
Originally Posted by shiryas View Post
RTWPaul,

I was in the same situation. I bought mine used on CL (to anchor my Great Basin). There is a set on bay, but they are in England.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/KTM-640-LC4-...4e965d&vxp=mtr

Might try a lowball offer with a link to your build thread, needs, and reason.

Best of luck
i actually got a sponsorship from www.ktmpartshouse.com for my RTW so i can buy new for the same price or less, but don't really need new as they'll get FUBAR'd pretty quick...hoping someone might need a few $$$'s so its a win/ win
rtwpaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 11:23 PM   #8474
gunnerbuck
Island Hopper
 
gunnerbuck's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2005
Location: N.V.I, B.C.
Oddometer: 3,895
Hi Paul,
I have set I took off my project bike as one side had a small bend which affected the passenger peg position.... If you are just using these as tie in points and not for a passenger peg setup then they would work for that... I could mail them for the price of shipping or you could grab them if you get up this way...
gunnerbuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 12:11 AM   #8475
rtwpaul
out riding...
 
rtwpaul's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2011
Location: round the world
Oddometer: 1,903
they sound perfect...drop me a PM with your paypal and cost and i'll get money to you tomorrow

i will be at your place around the end of May after doing the UTBDR and WABDR on the way up

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunnerbuck View Post
Hi Paul,
I have set I took off my project bike as one side had a small bend which affected the passenger peg position.... If you are just using these as tie in points and not for a passenger peg setup then they would work for that... I could mail them for the price of shipping or you could grab them if you get up this way...
rtwpaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 05:11 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014