User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-12-2008, 11:55 AM   #1
Dranrab Luap OP
E-Tarded

Oddometer: 29,865
The Suzuki GSX650F Thread

There's been a few threads lately about the GSX650F lately, but I thought I'd go ahead and start a long term thread for future reference.

I came off of a V-Strom 650. It was a fantastic bike with two irremedial exceptions. It buffeted to the point it was fatiguing and it got blown all over the place on the interstate. I started hungering for a street oriented mileage muncher touring bike. I have never been a "compensatory" bike kind of guy, and didn't feel especially compelled to go that route this time, even though most of the touring bikes have large displacement engines.

My search led me to the 650F. I bought it based on what I read and what my dealer told me about it. As it comes, it is a standard bike with a full fairing. The factory bars give it a slightly forward leaning orientation. The pegs are a little higher than they are on the Wee Strom.

I had 1" higher/1" further back risers and a throttle lock added by the dealer. I added an Airhawk medium cruiser seat pad, and Givi racks and cases. I have yet to mount the Stebel horn I bought. I'll post some tips on the Givi install in a bit.

After my 600 mile break-in, I'll provide a semi-detailed review. Here she is in full dress.

Dranrab Luap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 12:27 PM   #2
Joel mark
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 115
Nice looking bike

I had it narrowed down to another wee strom, or a GSX650F. I bought another wee strom, and have still wanted this bike ever since. I love the blue, bags look great on it also.

What kind of mileage are you getting (mpg)??

Obviously the seat is not very comfortable?

The main reason I did not get this bike is the lack of aftermarket support, Meaning not much out there yet, seats, or windscreens.

I hope you enjoy, as I still sit and gaze and wonder, what if??

Joel.
Joel mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 01:48 PM   #3
Dranrab Luap OP
E-Tarded

Joel, only two fill-ups so far during the break-in period. I got an even 47 on both. It's not as economical as the Wee. I am curious as to how much the side cases will pull the mileage down. You mentioned the seat. NO seat is comfy to me. I have no meat on my sit bones. This is the first year of the F. I think the aftermatket will come along nicely. I don't think the bike will prove very popular in the states. I paid close to full price for mine. I'll bet you can get good discounts toward the end of the year.

If getting blown around on the interstate and in crosswinds, and buffeting are not problems for you, stick with the Wee. I would have.
Old 06-12-2008, 02:27 PM   #4
Coelomate
Actually a n00b

Oddometer: 11
It looks nice...

especially in black, but the thing is a pig. Over 500 pounds for an inline-4 650 To me it reeks of lazyness... 'let's just take this old model and put some plastic on it and see what happens!'

That being said, if it handles nice and works well who cares
Coelomate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 05:29 PM   #5
fendermon
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 275
I like it a lot. I also like that fact you could probably grab a handfull of throttle without too much drama, unlike the 1250 bandit. (Just a guess)

Sow a seed of only 19.95 today!
fendermon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 05:33 PM   #6
Dranrab Luap OP
E-Tarded

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coelomate
especially in black, but the thing is a pig. Over 500 pounds for an inline-4 650 To me it reeks of lazyness... 'let's just take this old model and put some plastic on it and see what happens!'

That being said, if it handles nice and works well who cares
A whole lot of people who see the weight automatically scoff at it. What it does for this bike is makes it rock steady and incredibly smooth. It is securely planted. It's not really an old model at all. There's a little bit of parts bin stuff...the fairing is off an earlier GSXR1000, but for the most part the bike is as new as the Bandit 1250 which shares its frame. I am not rider enough to push the suspension beyond its limits, so to me it handles fabulously. I like the way it handles better than the SV1000S I had. I haven't had it over 6K rpms, but within the range in which I have operated it, it makes very good power across a wide RPM range. It IS NOT a sport bike. Those wanting a sport bike need to look elsewhere. What it is to me is a fantastic touring bike that can give me all the thrills I can handle in the twisties. Ergonomics are great for me.
Old 06-12-2008, 05:59 PM   #7
Grainbelt
marginal adventurer

Oddometer: 26,752
You were right, it does look sort of blue in the photos.

Congrats on the new bike. Luggage setup looks familiar, I think you'll like it alot.
Grainbelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 07:17 PM   #8
Lochlyn_Deckard
Dex Moto(naut)

Oddometer: 989
Thanks Dranrab Luap.

For the search lazy, for the future:

Suzuki GSX 650 F - www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=307192

Suzuki GSX650F vs. Yamaha FZ6 - www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=350156
Lochlyn_Deckard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 08:03 PM   #9
hyak107
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 140
I really like the GSX650F, I was close to buying one but opted for the V-Strom instead. I'll be interested in your post-break in review. It's still on my list if I decide to trade the SV650 in on something next year. Heavy bikes don't bother me as long as the weight is carried well. The extra pounds help when the weather gets nasty.

Any idea how difficult it would be to remove the fairings when doing maintenance?

hyak107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 09:34 PM   #10
Nessman
Cluttered Minimalist

Oddometer: 1,539

You go boy!! The B1250 is still pulling my chain, li'l brother is cool as well.

We Americaners need more standards, I loved the big CBFs I saw over in England.
Old 06-13-2008, 04:43 AM   #11
Dranrab Luap OP
E-Tarded

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyak107
I really like the GSX650F, I was close to buying one but opted for the V-Strom instead. I'll be interested in your post-break in review. It's still on my list if I decide to trade the SV650 in on something next year. Heavy bikes don't bother me as long as the weight is carried well. The extra pounds help when the weather gets nasty.

Any idea how difficult it would be to remove the fairings when doing maintenance?
I haven't done it yet, but I looked it over. It looks reasonably simple. Thankfully the oil filter can be changed without removing the fairing.
Old 06-13-2008, 06:37 AM   #12
a1fa
Riding Nomad™

Oddometer: 13,497
Riding

is like riding any one of these... Its fun ;)

Old 06-13-2008, 06:52 AM   #13
Dranrab Luap OP
E-Tarded

Quote:
Originally Posted by a1fa
Riding

is like riding any one of these... Its fun ;)

I had hoped to keep this thread positively focused on the GSX650F. I had a hunch that you and JamesG would try to take a shit on it. I'd appreciate it if you'd keep photos of your mom and sisters in the Ride Reports forum.
Old 06-13-2008, 08:28 AM   #14
Grainbelt
marginal adventurer

Oddometer: 26,752
Quote:
Originally Posted by a1fa
Riding is like riding any one of these... Its fun ;)
You must have been looking for Jo Momma. Take the elevator a few floors down into the basement.
Grainbelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 11:47 AM   #15
a1fa
Riding Nomad™

Oddometer: 13,497
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grainbelt
You must have been looking for Jo Momma. Take the elevator a few floors down into the basement.
Thank you.