User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-13-2008, 11:50 AM   #16
a1fa
Riding Nomad™

Oddometer: 13,502
Dranrab Luap,

I love the fact that you added side cases to your bike. I would love to hear more about the bike, and over all general experience. Please forgive my mind, because sometimes I forget that this bike in category of its own. Honestly, it looks like a solid platform, that's a bit on the chubby side. There is no problem with it. I hope you appreciated the comic relief.

As a matter of fact, I would love to hear about its suspension and how does it handle on your favorite road.

I think that Suzuki could have done more with this bike at that price:
-- USD fully adjustable front suspension
-- Fully adjustable rear
-- Stayed away from Banana seat
Old 06-13-2008, 12:01 PM   #17
a1fa
Riding Nomad™

I wonder how well these would look:

http://www.corbin.com/suzuki/sb1250bag.shtml
Old 06-13-2008, 12:11 PM   #18
Dranrab Luap OP
E-Tarded

Oddometer: 29,884
Quote:
Originally Posted by a1fa
Dranrab Luap,

I love the fact that you added side cases to your bike. I would love to hear more about the bike, and over all general experience. Please forgive my mind, because sometimes I forget that this bike in category of its own. Honestly, it looks like a solid platform, that's a bit on the chubby side. There is no problem with it. I hope you appreciated the comic relief.

As a matter of fact, I would love to hear about its suspension and how does it handle on your favorite road.

I think that Suzuki could have done more with this bike at that price:
-- USD fully adjustable front suspension
-- Fully adjustable rear
-- Stayed away from Banana seat
No worries about the comic relief as long as you have no worries about the comic retort.

I clicked on that Corbin link and DAMN!!! The side cases look fantastic, though they are a touch on the small side capacity wise. At 1700/pair, that's enough to scare me away. I like the looks of that seat too. I have heard that Bandit 1250 seats will fit the 650. I'd like to have a different seat.
Dranrab Luap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 12:36 PM   #19
a1fa
Riding Nomad™

I was wondering if that seat would fit. :) Sargent Saddle is releasing their Bandit 1250 seat.
Old 06-13-2008, 01:23 PM   #20
vbl
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 129
And surely someone will brainstorm some ways to lose a little weight, like a new can, lighter subframe, some CF bits in places.

Seems like a solid platform - I'd love to get one and strip it.
vbl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 01:44 PM   #21
skysailor
Rat Rider

Oddometer: 3,412
test ride

I'm heading to my Suzuki dealer tomorrow for a test ride. Love what you did with the Givis. It's between on of these and an FZ6. Or a Bandit 1250. Gawd, I hate sitting on the fence But, there does seem to be a lot of plastic on this bike. Good to hear it can stay on for an oil change though.

They're even going to let me try a GSXR750! I would never buy one, but it will be kind of neat to ride one.....yes mom, I'll go slow!
skysailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 04:09 PM   #22
Dranrab Luap OP
E-Tarded

Again somebody has mentioned the weight. If you want a lighter bike, the market has provided those. What a lighter bike won't give you is the plush, planted ride this one has. Think smooth, stable and vibration free. I think by lightening it up, you are trying to make it something that it's not. When I read about the heavy weight I actually hoped it would help plant the bike, and it did!

I love the FZ6 and considered it, but from all that I read, it makes its power way up in the rev range. That's great if you are looking for a more sporting ride. You could start this bike off in third gear and get good pulling power. It makes very satisfying real world power.

My shifting has been a little funky. I may have a linkage problem. I stopped by the dealer today and he showed me on a parts diagram what he suspects it may be. Told me to ride it a bit longer and see if the problem goes away.

Old 06-13-2008, 04:41 PM   #23
skysailor
Rat Rider

the weight

Dont mind the wieght. Like you said, it makes for a more stable ride. The FZ6 is out of the running. While I really like the Givis, I'm more of a waterproof duffle and bungy cord guy. If I get rained out tomorrow, I'll be quite pissed. I have to ride my "rat" 160 miles to the dealer! GRRrrr. Maybe they'll gine me a rain check. We'll see. Cheers
Old 06-13-2008, 05:19 PM   #24
XZed
Adventurer

Oddometer: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by a1fa
I wonder how well these would look:

http://www.corbin.com/suzuki/sb1250bag.shtml
crap! I was looking at a "grey" '08
you just cost my dream a kouple $K
Old 06-14-2008, 03:31 AM   #25
Dranrab Luap OP
E-Tarded

Quote:
Originally Posted by XZed
No kidding, man those are seriously nice looking.
Old 06-14-2008, 08:08 AM   #26
a1fa
Riding Nomad™

Quote:
Originally Posted by XZed
buy a used one.. save some "green" :P these bags can be compared to Givi E21.

Corbin's saddle bags -- 27L
Givi E21 - 21L
Givi E41 - 41L
Givi E360 - 40L
Givi V35 - 34L

I'd have to go with Givi due to price per liter =)

a1fa screwed with this post 06-14-2008 at 08:13 AM
a1fa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 08:51 PM   #27
skysailor
Rat Rider

GRRRrr

Went for my "test" ride on the 650F...almost. The guy before me dropped the thing. Plastic all broke up. Not a good sales point...the guy was a noob..but, still it did a lot of damage...and it just fell over when he put his foot down on a low spot covered with gravel. I guess that could happen to most of us? But it shouldn't wreck the bike. I ended up on a DR650. Got to say, I kind of liked it. Aman could ride to the ends of the earth...and back one one of those things......um, food for thought....
Old 06-14-2008, 09:14 PM   #28
JamesG
Rabid Poster

Oddometer: 10,946
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dranrab Luap
I had hoped to keep this thread positively focused on the GSX650F. I had a hunch that you and JamesG would try to take a shit on it.
I was trying to be nice and let you live in your dream world where you can pretend that you didn't waste your money on a fat ugly bike.

But since you asked for it...
JamesG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 10:24 PM   #29
Commuter Boy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,749
Shouldn't be any linkage problems, the Bandits all have the same linkage setup and they're smooth as silk, with a positive "thunk" into first.

There's only three bolts holding on the cover, pop them off and take a look, it's dead easy to make adjustments to. Neat to see it's got sound deadening foam on the underside. I'm getting more and more enamoured with the engine and bike the more I ride and wrench on it. It appears to be a strong, solid unit. Not elegant like a Ducati or a full blown race rep, but a great practical ride.

I'm gearing up the 650 Bandit today for the summer. I've got to make three trips up and down the Cassiar and one to Las Vegas in the next month so I've just put a 16 tooth sprocket up front, a 100w high beam and relay to go with the HID low, and horror of horrors, a wooden beaded seat cover
Commuter Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 03:45 AM   #30
Dranrab Luap OP
E-Tarded

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesG
I was trying to be nice and let you live in your dream world where you can pretend that you didn't waste your money on a fat ugly bike.

But since you asked for it...