User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-08-2012, 09:15 AM   #511
Jim K.
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 916
Handguards

I think those handguards don't look bad at all. One of the things I miss about my old Concours was the mirrors, located on the fairing, they lined up well with the hand grips & did a good job of breaking up the wind blast at highway speed. I'll be looking into those guards next fall for sure. My only fear is that my levers are aftermarket adjustables & may have a few interference questions.
Jim K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 08:46 AM   #512
Bigolechalupa
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 149
>

Well, I got a few hundred Km's under my belt with the Sargent seat and the handlebar risers. I am so pleased with this set up. Comfort and more comfort is how it feels. Awesome...

Now, I've been toying with the idea of making her a naked bike.. What do you guys think? Have any of you taken the fairings off? This is a really nice one from gsx650f.biz.............http://www.gsx650f.biz/post43939.htm...t=Naked#p43939
I think she'd be extra sharp with the blacked out engine!
Cheers
BIGO
Bigolechalupa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 06:04 PM   #513
Jim K.
Studly Adventurer

Naked?

Don't you fellers get the Bandit up there? Take off the fairing & that's what you've got, no?
Old 04-11-2012, 05:51 AM   #514
Bigolechalupa
Gnarly Adventurer

true....

Yes, pretty much exactly. Not 100% though. Apparently the gear ratios have been changed a bit and a couple of other things.... No we don't get the Bandit up here in the north...
Old 04-11-2012, 07:07 PM   #515
Jim K.
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigolechalupa View Post
No we don't get the Bandit up here in the north...
Actually, we have'nt had it down here for a few years either. We have the big brother, 1250, dressed up in a full fairing as the 1250 FA. More bike than I wanted, but a real steal. I've seen 2011s with ABS going for $9,000 (US) . That's alot of bang for the buck.
Old 04-12-2012, 04:47 AM   #516
Bigolechalupa
Gnarly Adventurer

So Jim, have you decided on whether or not you're going to get a new seat for the SuziF?
Old 04-12-2012, 10:21 AM   #517
Jim K.
Studly Adventurer

Seat?

It's still a wait & see. I thought I would be buying one in the first week I owned it. The stock seat was a killer. My skinny butt would hurt after 100 mi. Fortunately, lack of funds kept me from buying, & the stocker gradually got better. I've taken a few trips that involved 275 - 300 mi days & didn't mind a bit. It does seem to be breaking in. I'm still not sure about 500 mi days though. I have a few of them planned for this summer. I'm out of the country for 3 of the next 4 weeks, so I won't be making any decisions 'til I get back in mid-May. I've got about 6500 mi. on her now (in 10 months) & I'm liking this bike better & better. I figure I'll have time to order the Sargent in mid-May after I get back. (if I have any money left from the trip)
Old 04-12-2012, 12:46 PM   #518
jptsr1
Adventurer

Oddometer: 47
new 16 tooth front

I haven’t contributed to the thread in a while so I thought I'd give a quick rundown of my new 16t front sprocket. Took the bike in for the 14k service (at 16k) and figured I'd also swap out the chain and sprockets since it would be up on the lift anyway. Im not a physics teacher so if your not sure what going up a tooth on the front does in terms of mechanical advantage try googling sprockets and advantage. Theres plenty of info out there. Ill just talk about how the 16tooh makes the bike feel to me. Keep in mind this is from the perspective of someone who is not all that mechanically inclined.

I had read rave reviews of the 16tooth over at 650BIZ and was looking forward to the sprocket change for a while. The result was not nearly as drastic as I had read but I still think its a solid mod. I estimate that the 16t drops the rpm's about 500 at 80mph (i'm talking GPS not speedo). So 65mph is now solidly in the realm of 5th gear for me. It used to be between 5th and 6th which was a pain in the ass. Speaking of the speedometer an unexpected bonus of the sprocket is that the speedo is now off only around 2mph at 80 instead of the around 6 it was off before the change. Im not sure how this works or why it is but whatever the case ill take it. Another plus to the change is a longer or wider (not sure of the correct term) first gear. One of the things i've disliked about this bike from the beginning is how useless first gear was. Unless you were going up an incline there was little reason to be in 1st gear for more than a couple seconds. After the change 1st gear doesn’t get whiney until around 20mph which is more than enough to make it useful for me.

Now for the negatives. Of course the benefits of the change in the relationship between the sprockets comes at a cost. The cost is power. If you liken the 16tooh mod to switching gears on a 10 speed bike the loss of power becomes clear. The extra tooth is like switching to a higher/harder gear. The bike doesn’t have to work as hard to maintain the same speed but in turn looses a bit of the power that in previously had to get to that speed. Again physics is not my strong point so you may want to google motorcycles and torque if you don’t get it. The point is you give up some of the bikes “balls” for that 500 rpm advantage. That manifest itself to me in a couple areas. First (and the lesser of the two) is entering the freeway from a slow speed or stop. The bike has a little less “pep”. Its not as drastic as it could be because of the longer first gear though. My first shift is further up the speedo so by keeping the rpm's higher I can compensate a bit and lessen the effect of the neutering. Still the decreased power is noticeable. The other even more noticeable place where the lack of power rears it ugly head is in passing or what I like to think of as escape speed. When you are at highway speed and need to pop into the next lane to pass or “get on it” a little to avoid the truck sliding into your lane without seeing you, you will notice that lack of “pep” even more. Again you can compensate by changing the way you shift and at what rpm you cruise but it is what it is.

I would think another advantage would be a slightly higher top speed but there aren’t as many places to test that in NJ as there were when I lived in CA. I will say though the the point in which I feel that I am running out of power and have to start begging for MPH appears to come a little later. Before the sprocket at around 110 the bike started to give a little less and I knew it was going to be a stic before 120 rolled around. Now at 110 I feel like I have a little bike left.

In any case thats my .2 cents. The bike feels smoother now but also like it has a tad less power. If you value pulling out of the turn with some pop more than the relaxing hum on the straight I don’t think its for you. Really though if you were looking for neck snapping performance and got the F, you made your mistake well before the sprocket change.
jptsr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 01:03 PM   #519
Jim K.
Studly Adventurer

Thanks for the info JP. Like you, I'm waiting for the first valve adjust to do this mod myself. I've taken off from a full stop a dozen times now in 2nd gear, & never would have noticed if the bike didn't have a gear indicator. That tells me that it's probably more than capable of pulling another tooth up front with no ill effects. Like most who spend a fair part of the day on highways, I'd appreciate dropping 500 RPM off my cruise speed. Your description is exactly what one would expect from this mod, & you don't need an engineering degree to get the benefits. I'll just have to keep in mind that my safety margin over the speed limit will be reduced by 5 mph or so.
Old 04-12-2012, 05:55 PM   #520
Bigolechalupa
Gnarly Adventurer

thanks..

Thanks for the great write up jp....... I don't do much highway stuff, but what I don't understand is why- with a bike with a 14,000rpm redline- would anyone be concerned with dropping 500 or so rpms off? Like I said, I don't do much highway, so perhaps I am out of line....?

Been spending more time on the Sargent. Couple of points: While the stock seat sucks, the shape of it has that upslope in the back, which if sitting on it properly, should keep your lower back, in somewhat of a naturally proper curve. While the Sargent, has that `scoop` shape, that puts you backwards into it a bit, and from what I can tell makes you curve your pelvis slightly inwards( not so good).

Now, I have serious back issues after suffering a fractured spine during my army time, and have never completely healed, so I deal with lowback, ass, sciatica pain quite a bit. So perhaps my issues are unique, when it comes to ergonomics. As great as the Sargent feels, when I spend more than an hour on the bike, I`m hurting. Bad. But that`s probably just my spine crying, lol.

Unfortunately, I`m thinking I may have to give up motorcycling. At least maybe for a few years, while I work on fixing my back.
Cheers
BIGO
Old 04-13-2012, 04:09 AM   #521
Bikehigh
Not Dead Yet

Oddometer: 3,764
To my recollection, the 16 tooth drops closer to 1000 RPMs, but that's if I'm doing 85. If I'm on the highway, I'm generally on it for an extended length of time. Being on a bike that's turning 6500 to 7000 RPM for a couple hours is whole lot more relaxed than being on a bike that's hammering away at 7500 to 8000 RPM. Even if it is only 500 to 600 RPM, every little bit helps.

As far as what jpstr1 said, I'll just say that I don't have any of those issues. Perhaps it's because I've lived with the taller gear for so many miles that I've adjusted. Fromwhat I recall, first gear used to be a totally useless gear. It was for getting the bike going and nothing else. You couldn't even ride in a parking lot in first. Now it's useable. realize 1 tooth is not a lot, but as above, it makes all the difference.
Bikehigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 04:16 AM   #522
Cortez
BAZINGA!

Oddometer: 6,782
Quote:
Thanks for the great write up jp....... I don't do much highway stuff, but what I don't understand is why- with a bike with a 14,000rpm redline- would anyone be concerned with dropping 500 or so rpms off? Like I said, I don't do much highway, so perhaps I am out of line....?
The maximum power mark is A LOT below that, and every few hundred revs
makes a huge difference for high speed cruising.

I went +1 on the front of my ER6F (650R) and with about 350-400 revs
average difference, it even made 70mph cruising a lot more relaxed
(I almost never went over 75 on long rides), and pushed the fuel consumption
even under the numbers I'm getting on my 300cc scooter now..

SOLD: '03 Peugeot Speedfight2, '07 Kawasaki ER6F ABS, '06 Kymco Agility 125, '12 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS
My Flickr gallery --- My 500px gallery
Cortez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 09:53 AM   #523
jptsr1
Adventurer

Quote:

Been spending more time on the Sargent. Couple of points: While the stock seat sucks, the shape of it has that upslope in the back, which if sitting on it properly, should keep your lower back, in somewhat of a naturally proper curve. While the Sargent, has that `scoop` shape, that puts you backwards into it a bit, and from what I can tell makes you curve your pelvis slightly inwards( not so good).

Now, I have serious back issues after suffering a fractured spine during my army time, and have never completely healed, so I deal with lowback, ass, sciatica pain quite a bit. So perhaps my issues are unique, when it comes to ergonomics. As great as the Sargent feels, when I spend more than an hour on the bike, I`m hurting. Bad. But that`s probably just my spine crying, lol.

Unfortunately, I`m thinking I may have to give up motorcycling. At least maybe for a few years, while I work on fixing my back.
Cheers
BIGO
Looks like your question has been answered already? Just wanted to chime in and wish you the best with your back. I hope you dont have to give up riding but your health and comfort are much more important.
Old 04-14-2012, 09:59 AM   #524
dankatz
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 322
Quote:

Cheers
BIGO
Have you tried a super sport bike like the gsxr750? As odd as it seems, the bikes that make you lean over take a lot of weight of the lower back
VFR800 VTEC
Daytona 675
dankatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 10:04 AM   #525
jptsr1
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikehigh View Post
To my recollection, the 16 tooth drops closer to 1000 RPMs, but that's if I'm doing 85. If I'm on the highway, I'm generally on it for an extended length of time. Being on a bike that's turning 6500 to 7000 RPM for a couple hours is whole lot more relaxed than being on a bike that's hammering away at 7500 to 8000 RPM. Even if it is only 500 to 600 RPM, every little bit helps.

As far as what jpstr1 said, I'll just say that I don't have any of those issues. Perhaps it's because I've lived with the taller gear for so many miles that I've adjusted. Fromwhat I recall, first gear used to be a totally useless gear. It was for getting the bike going and nothing else. You couldn't even ride in a parking lot in first. Now it's useable. realize 1 tooth is not a lot, but as above, it makes all the difference.
Probably should have mentioned that I weigh 370lbs. Thats closer to two-up for the average rider I suspect. So the difference we are seeing in performance may be due to you learning to live with the 16t as you said or it may be just that I am a fatt ass. As far as the RPM's go im not sure why you and I realized such different numbers. I was careful to pay attention to my RPM's at 80 before the change and the net result for me was definitely closer to 500. I also had a bunch of other things done to the bike while it was in the shop. Although I dont believe any of them (other than changing the sprocket) would have had an effect on my RPM's I guess its possible.