User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-21-2008, 07:42 PM   #46
Nodaclu
Bike Swapper Supreme

Oddometer: 279
This thread shall rise again...

Thought I'd bump this one back to the top with a pic of my new ride out at the Lake Mead NRA....

Old 07-22-2008, 03:29 AM   #47
Dranrab Luap OP
E-Tarded

Oddometer: 29,884
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodaclu
Thought I'd bump this one back to the top with a pic of my new ride out at the Lake Mead NRA....

Nice shot there. How are you liking it so far and what kind of farkles do you have planned.

I had a center stand, air horn, and 12 volt power outlet added to mine. I'm ready for the trip out to CO. I hope my butt is.
Dranrab Luap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 10:15 AM   #48
Nodaclu
Bike Swapper Supreme

Early riding impressions...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dranrab Luap
Nice shot there. How are you liking it so far and what kind of farkles do you have planned?

I had a center stand, air horn, and 12 volt power outlet added to mine. I'm ready for the trip out to CO. I hope my butt is.
DL...You have a more detailed PM of this post over at ST.N.

---

Center stand is on its way. Need to raise the bars up and back a bit...trying to decide between 1" up/1" back risers, or seeing if the V-Strom bars will fit (should accomplish about the same goal.) Risers are simpler, but the up and backs make me slightly nervous for some reason.

Sargent seat is also on order. The stock seat is better than the one on my Strom was, but it's not a 400 miler for me either.

Hard luggage is on the list, but I can't settle on which rack setup - Suzuki, Givi, or SW-Motech. Nice to have choices though.

Suzuki luggage setup actually uses a Kappa top box, which I like better, but am unsure if I can get a silver insert for it like I can for the Givi. Not that important I know, but having just come off a Harley, I can't get that form/function thing completely out of my head yet!

A Zumo GPS will eventually be in the cards. Probably a 450.

That's about it. This is a great bike right out of the box. Zero turbulence or buffeting. Smooth. Incredibly stable at speed (See? All that weight is good for something after all!)

In fact, it's so smooth, quiet and stable that it's the first bike I've ever "accidentally" taken over 100mph without realizing how fast I was going. It felt like 65-70 until I looked down.

Very nearly a perfect mid-size solo Sport Touring bike. I think this one's a keeper.

Nodaclu screwed with this post 07-22-2008 at 10:21 AM
Nodaclu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 08:47 AM   #49
Nessman
Cluttered Minimalist

Oddometer: 1,560
Used '08 GSX650F for only $6500, only dropped twice....

This is basically a brand new bike. I bought this bike brand new for $9000.It has only 6 miles. I made a mistake of buying this bike thinking that I could handle it as a new rider. It's been laid down twice in front of the house. Has minor damages. This sell will be my loss and your gain. I'm looking for $6500 or best offer. http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/mcy/770402602.html

SO, this fella is expecting to recoup his taxes/setup/tabs and every other fee that the dealer charged him. I wish him luck.

Oh, and BUMP
Old 07-26-2008, 05:08 PM   #50
a1fa
Riding Nomad™

Oddometer: 13,502
$9000? Damn! They must've torn his asshole on his way out of the dealership... or he is just lying his ass off.
Old 07-26-2008, 09:08 PM   #51
Nodaclu
Bike Swapper Supreme

I saw a Craigslist ad a few weeks back saying that they were trying to sell their 2008 Ninja 250 for what they paid for it - which was $6,400!!!

When I was looking at 08 KLR's last fall, I asked the dealer what the OTD price on the bike would be. He came back with $7,900!! On a bike that retails for $5,349.

I guess some people pay it and don't ask questions. Scary, and more then a little sad.
Old 07-27-2008, 06:25 PM   #52
Commuter Boy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,748
I'm really happy with the Bandit 650, putting lots of trouble free miles on it this summer.
Attached Images

Commuter Boy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 11:28 PM   #53
Nodaclu
Bike Swapper Supreme

Front Sprocket Change?

CB, you mentioned elsewhere (maybe earlier in this thread) that you put a larger front sprocket on yours. Do you have any additional info about that? Those of use who are interested in a slightly larger front sprocket to lower the RPM's a bit seem to be running into a brick wall when it comes to sourcing a part number for this bike.
Old 07-27-2008, 11:42 PM   #54
Nodaclu
Bike Swapper Supreme

Luggage rack options...

Also, does anyone have any opinions on the different rack options available for this bike?

1. The Suzuki OEM racks are the cheapest, but are also the most obtrusive. They use a Kappa K49 bag for their topbox - which IMO is a much better looking box than the Givi V46 is. The top and side racks are integrated, and a separate piece must be purchased to use the side racks without the top rack. Top rack also looks hideous without a bag on it.

2. The Givi's mount semi-permanently to the bike like the OEM ones, but look much cleaner. However, their top rack places the topbox way up in outer space compared to the other two. Looks a little out of proportion and has to increase the wind drag slightly.

3. The SW-Motech's are quick release, and the top and side racks work independently of each other (a big plus since I'd like to keep the top rack and box off the bike except on longer trips). But their top rack mounts to only two bolts at the base of each side of the rear grab bar, and doesn't exactly inspire confidence. It looks like a heavy load and a big pothole would snap the tail right off the bike from the uneven weight distribution.

Any ideas guys? All that said, I'm leaning toward the Motech racks, but since this is my first set of hard luggage, I don't want to make a mistake.
Old 07-28-2008, 04:30 PM   #55
Commuter Boy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,748
Quote:
CB, you mentioned elsewhere (maybe earlier in this thread) that you put a larger front sprocket on yours. Do you have any additional info about that? Those of use who are interested in a slightly larger front sprocket to lower the RPM's a bit seem to be running into a brick wall when it comes to sourcing a part number for this bike.
Go to your dealer, it's a standard issue Suzuki sprocket that fits a bunch of their bikes and comes in a variety of sizes. The parts guy at my local grabbed me a JT pattern one after about 5 seconds in the back without even looking up the part number. Try the older generation Bandit 650 for size, I think that's the one.
Commuter Boy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 04:58 PM   #56
Tifighter
thread killer

Oddometer: 473
Question

Quote:

What tail bag is this? I like it...
Tifighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 05:44 PM   #57
Nodaclu
Bike Swapper Supreme

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commuter Boy
Go to your dealer, it's a standard issue Suzuki sprocket that fits a bunch of their bikes and comes in a variety of sizes. The parts guy at my local grabbed me a JT pattern one after about 5 seconds in the back without even looking up the part number. Try the older generation Bandit 650 for size, I think that's the one.
Thanks much. Will do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tifighter
What tail bag is this? I like it...
Thanks! It's a tail bag made by Axio...I really like it.

Learn more about it here:
http://www.newenoughhp.com/luggage/t..._tail_bag.html
Old 07-29-2008, 06:38 AM   #58
Hickey
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 114
I think of my 650F as being a small sport touring bike. The weight has been a non-issue from day one. Although I'll admit to coming off a much heavier bike, the Yamaha FJR.

I think it tours just fine. It is comfortable enough that I can ride through a tank of fuel without stopping. And yet it is still plenty of fun when the roads turn curvy. The suspension is a weak point, but only in terms of ride quality on rough roads. The suspension doesn't seem to make the handling awkward or rob confidence in turns.

My plan is to turn the bike into a miniature FJR of sorts. I've got the Suzuki side cases and top case on order. Along with the SW-Motech racks. I don't have all the parts I need yet, since much is on back order. So I've done some traveling with a duffle on the back.

The 650F is a fantastic travel companion. I'm getting around 47 MPG as an overall average. My best tank has been 51 MPG so far. I'm into the reserve after 150 miles, which still allows at least another 50 miles before I'd be pushing it. So fuel range is acceptable.
Hickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 10:15 AM   #59
Dranrab Luap OP
E-Tarded

Oddometer: 29,884
Quote:
Originally Posted by Commuter Boy
A part number would be helpful. My dealer couldn't come up with one.
Dranrab Luap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 03:09 PM   #60
skysailor
Rat Rider

Oddometer: 3,406
It's a nice bike, still on my shopping list but I'm having trouble getting past all the "plastic". Now if it would lose the bottom fairing......I like the "look" of the big Bandit better. Standard ergos and not as much plastic. I guess it's just a "taste" thing.
skysailor is online now   Reply With Quote