Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-19-2008, 05:20 PM   #91
RckyMtnRdr
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
Spencer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commuter Boy
If you want to lower the stock seat, check out Spencers: http://greatdaytoride.com/Home_Page.php

His services come highly recommended by the Bandit crowd, and
he's familiar with the ergonomics. He's very inexpensive, and fast.
I wrote Spencer and asked about some ideas I had for lowering the Sargent seat a bit... he answered the mail in just a couple of hours, and was honest about not really being able to do anything... even though it cost him the potential business. We need more people like that around! Good customer service... wow, what a concept!
RckyMtnRdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 08:18 PM   #92
garyklee
Adventurer

Oddometer: 13
Wink Up is down and Low is Higher!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodaclu
...the "low" seat from Sargent is actually 0.8 inches HIGHER then the stock 650F seat. The difference, while not dramatic, *is* noticeable.

Nodaclu,
Thanks for clearing this point up. After visiting the Sargent web site, I was completely confused on the 650F seat height with the Sargent "Low" saddle - makes perfect sense now. Low is higher

By the way thanks for photos of your bike. Is that the Givi V35 luggage? It really looks good on the bike.

Gary Lee
http://picasaweb.google.com/garyklee...MotorcycleTour

garyklee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 08:34 PM   #93
garyklee
Adventurer

Can anyone confirm the 650F stock saddle height?

I went to a dealership on my lunch break to throw a leg over the 650F. Strangely the saddle height seem the same as the Honda VFR which specs at 31.7

Suzuki says the saddle height is 30.3. CycleWorld wrote an article on the bike and stated the saddle height was 31.6 which confirms my VFR seat of the pants opinion. Can anyone tape measure the saddle height and confirm or deny the Suzuki stock specs?

Gary Lee

Old 08-19-2008, 11:11 PM   #94
damasovi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,624
Quote:
Originally Posted by garyklee
the GSX650F will be all that I need and handily meets all my critical selection criteria:
  • Short saddle height
  • Sport touring all rounder
  • 200+ fuel range
  • Mid-sized in powe
This is what Garyklee wrote and I would like add how is it 2 up? Sorry if somebody already mention something, BUT I just could not find it here. So how are they? I am not thinking Glodwing class, but now I ride with my wife 2 up on a KLR so there will be a lot of improvement doing our Sunday's ride (if we buy this bike)

So thanks for any info you may have
Damasovi
damasovi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 07:03 AM   #95
Dranrab Luap OP
E-Tarded

Oddometer: 30,925
Quote:
Originally Posted by RckyMtnRdr
Thanks for the welcome! Seems like a good group! Although I will have to say the fat chick pics threw me off a bit! I am still having nightmares...
We can be a little rough on each other on this forum, but we try keep it to Jo Momma. Do not go to Jo Momma unless you have thick skin.
Dranrab Luap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 07:12 AM   #96
Dranrab Luap OP
E-Tarded

Oddometer: 30,925
Quote:
Chalk me up as another one who could have afforded the Bandit, but bought the 650F instead because it is plenty of bike for a rider like me.

I have the Sargent "low" seat. Low is a relative term, because these seats were designed for the Bandit, and just happen to fit the 650F.

The 650F uses a deeply dished seat that stands 30.3 inches from the ground. The Bandit uses a two piece adjustable seat that positions (I think) either 30.9 inches or 32.1 inches. Since the Sargent was designed around this bike instead of the 650F the seat heights offered are 32.1 for the regular seat, and 31.1 for the low seat.

This means that the "low" seat from Sargent is actually 0.8 inches HIGHER then the stock 650F seat. The difference, while not dramatic, *is* noticeable.

That being said, the Sargent seat feels like a Lazy Boy compared to the stocker. It's wider and flatter - removing the stocks seat's tendency to slide you right into the tank.

Very much worth the money IMO....

You have that bike looking great. So good in fact I'm second guessing the route I took. I'd like to remove the GSX650F decals from mine. I'm sure you mentioned it somewhere, but tell me about the rim tape.
Dranrab Luap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 10:34 AM   #97
Nodaclu
Bike Swapper Supreme

Oddometer: 279
Quote:
Nodaclu,Is that the Givi V35 luggage? It really looks good on the bike.
Thanks! Yep, Givi V35's with gloss silver inserts. They aren't a perfect match color-wise for the lower half, but you have to be really close to the bike, and in just the right light, to see the difference. Close enough for me.

Quote:
I went to a dealership on my lunch break to throw a leg over the 650F. Strangely the saddle height seem the same as the Honda VFR which specs at 31.7
Not sure about the VFR, but I know that the seat on the 650F is rather wide. The width of a seat can definitely make it feel taller then it is, because our legs go further out to clear the seat before they can go down to the ground, if that makes any sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dranrab Luap
You have that bike looking great. So good in fact I'm second guessing the route I took. I'd like to remove the GSX650F decals from mine. I'm sure you mentioned it somewhere, but tell me about the rim tape.
Thank you! After the V-Strom, I was determined to have a decent looking bike that I wasn't embarrassed to take pictures of.

The rim tape came from FireSpeed.com. A real pain in the ass to install, and I didn't do the greatest job, but it looks fine from a couple of feet away. I finally started to get a better feel for installing it toward the end, and if I ever have to re-do them, it will look cleaner the next time.

Here's one for you on the Givi V35's. I hated the way the turn singals looked with the bracket, so I removed the reflector housing, ground down the inner support tubes, and mounted the singals there. It looks 10 times cleaner on the bike, and clears the Givi racks by about 1/8" on each side.

Old 08-20-2008, 07:52 PM   #98
RckyMtnRdr
Adventurer

Wicked

Quote:
Here's one for you on the Givi V35's. I hated the way the turn singals looked with the bracket, so I removed the reflector housing, ground down the inner support tubes, and mounted the singals there. It looks 10 times cleaner on the bike, and clears the Givi racks by about 1/8" on each side.
very nice! I like that... it didnt even occur to me to try that. I am planinng on mounting the following :

http://www.customdynamics.com/motorc...c_clusters.htm

on my Givis after they arrive. It will be a small hassle unplugging the lights when I remove the Givi's, but I actually doubt that I will be removing them often anyway. I will have to build some sort of spacer so the the LEDs will be point directly to the rear properly though. I have used these lights before.. and they are BRIGHT! I also really like having running lights all of the way around... really increases visibility significantly.
Old 08-21-2008, 11:38 AM   #99
Nodaclu
Bike Swapper Supreme

Oddometer: 279
Quote:
Originally Posted by RckyMtnRdr
very nice! I like that... it didnt even occur to me to try that. I am planinng on mounting the following :

http://www.customdynamics.com/motorc...c_clusters.htm

on my Givis after they arrive. It will be a small hassle unplugging the lights when I remove the Givi's, but I actually doubt that I will be removing them often anyway. I will have to build some sort of spacer so the the LEDs will be point directly to the rear properly though. I have used these lights before.. and they are BRIGHT! I also really like having running lights all of the way around... really increases visibility significantly.
Nice!

Here's another option you might want to consider for the V35's. These LED's were actually designed specifically to give you stop, brake and turn signal blinking that is built right into the case where the reflectors are:

http://www.admorelighting.com/index.....php&subpage=9

A bit more expensive, but it's an integrated solution, and with the additional turn signal blinking, makes you even easier to see.

At some point, I'll be adding these to my bike as well.
Old 08-21-2008, 05:08 PM   #100
RckyMtnRdr
Adventurer

Quote:
Nice!

Here's another option you might want to consider for the V35's. These LED's were actually designed specifically to give you stop, brake and turn signal blinking that is built right into the case where the reflectors are:

http://www.admorelighting.com/index.....php&subpage=9

Excellent.. I figured that someone probably made something like this... I just hadnt looked yet. Thanks.. I appreciate it!
Old 09-01-2008, 09:38 AM   #101
garyklee
Adventurer

650F Test Ride

OK, enough research and theoretical machinations. I rode my clean, polished Honda Magna over to a dealership for a GSX650F test ride and some spirited bargaining. Here's my experience as a short inseamer:

New Bike Objectives:

All rounder mid-size sport touring bike
Short saddle height for a short inseam
All day, multi-day touring
Good for commuting and fun for Saturday canyon carving
Decent fuel economy is a plus

Test Ride Impressions:
I was immediately impressed by how smooth and quiet the I-4 is. At the same time, my palms were noticeably uncomfortable from pressure. For me this is going to be an issue for long days on the road. The saddle has a forward lean, combine that with short arms and maybe I'm leaning forward more than a taller rider. Anyways compared to a ride on my friend's Wee-Strom, this is not what I would call an upright, all day sport touring position. Compared to a GSXr maybe it is, but I'm not looking for a transition to a sport bike. And yes, at 57, I am technically a gray beard, but I still cycle, run, and swim to stay fit (just not as fast as I once was).

I felt like I was going to miss the visceral growl and surge of acceleration my V-4 provides when I twist the throttle to pass cars in the mountains or freeways. The I-4 is so smooth and quiet, it doesn't feel like you are going fast at all, but a quick glance at the speedometer contradicts your impression.

In other areas, compared to the Magna, the brakes are incredible. The handling is responsive and all the hoopla about weight is nothing compared to my Magna. In fact to me, the handling was so fast, the bike seemed to change directions just by thinking - way more fun than a cruiser!

Taching down the freeway at the break-in limit of 6K RPM I was only doing 70 and being passed by ill tempered drivers in their Toyota's. I felt like I was crawling, but that was due to the lack of wind turbulence - that windshield and fairing work well at speed. Compared to the Magna at 75, the revs are only 5K RPM, but that's exactly when a 750 V-4 starts pulling like a banshee.

Bottom Line:
I almost bought the bike after a brisk round of obligatory negotiations. The dealer did try to add in 1875 over MSRP for freight charges. Thanks to this forum I just ignored their first bottom line offer of 8,200+ little ones. The final block was trade-in value on my pristine Magna with only 9,100 miles - so I walked out the door, telling them I would sell the bike myself.

After a day of reflection, I've decided to continue the test rides. A friend has talked me into test riding the BMW F800ST. They do have a low suspension option, but dang, it's a BMW! Need I say more? On the other hand, you can't take your money with you and buying power keeps shrinking every year. Also another friend has promised to let me ride his VFR. Hey ain't it fun to shop for new bikes?

Gary Lee

garyklee screwed with this post 09-01-2008 at 11:18 AM
Old 09-01-2008, 06:14 PM   #102
Commuter Boy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,815
The bars are easy to swap out for whatever bend / rise you want to suit you ergonomically. I hated the B650 bars and for $20 I had a set of Daytona bars with a bit more sweep and rise.

If you want more or less snap at any RPM the gearing is easy to change as well. Lots of people go up or down a tooth on the front (or three on the rear) to get the feeling they want.

There's no shortage of mufflers available if you want a different sound
Commuter Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 07:12 PM   #103
McB
Joe 40 ouncer

Oddometer: 15,438
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dranrab Luap
I'm back from my tour. I put 3485 miles on my bike loaded down.
Paul,
How is the wind management compared to the Strom? I don't mind the crosswinds anymore, but I do get tired of the buffeting on a longer ride. It seems for every one who says he's found a solution, there are three more who say that solution doesn't work; so I've left the windscreen stock on mine.
McB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 08:11 PM   #104
RckyMtnRdr
Adventurer

Daytona bars???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commuter Boy
The bars are easy to swap out for whatever bend / rise you want to suit you ergonomically. I hated the B650 bars and for $20 I had a set of Daytona bars with a bit more sweep and rise.

If you want more or less snap at any RPM the gearing is easy to change as well. Lots of people go up or down a tooth on the front (or three on the rear) to get the feeling they want.

There's no shortage of mufflers available if you want a different sound
are those bars you picked up the Bikemaster Daytona bars? how do you like them? How did they fit with stock cables?
Old 09-01-2008, 08:14 PM   #105
RckyMtnRdr
Adventurer

Quote:
I almost bought the bike after a brisk round of obligatory negotiations. The dealer did try to add in 1875 over MSRP for freight charges. Thanks to this forum I just ignored their first bottom line offer of 8,200+ little ones.
One outfit here in Denver has the bike marked at $6200. Out the door is like $7200. Pretty decent dealer also.... not as arrogant or as greedy as some I have dealt with.