User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-08-2014, 06:23 PM   #1
wmfleet2 OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 815
Continental TKC 80 worth the money ?

well who has used the 180 rear on a big machine and has found them worth the $200 .00 OK they are going on a 1998 Ducati Monster 900 ,,,,,doing a lot of fire roads and some goat trails this fall in WV , Va
wmfleet2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 08:19 PM   #2
Wallowa
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,190
Are They Worth It?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmfleet2 View Post
well who has used the 180 rear on a big machine and has found them worth the $200 .00 OK they are going on a 1998 Ducati Monster 900 ,,,,,doing a lot of fire roads and some goat trails this fall in WV , Va
First only you can answer that question.

What is your ass and skin worth? If you find a better all round off road tire than a TKC80 for a "full figure motorcycle" [like my GSA] let me know.

Off road Monster Duck...interesting.

Good luck...

Phil
Wallowa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 05:42 AM   #3
RedFrogTango
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 710
I just ordered a set of TKC80s for my BMW R1200R. I'll let you know how they work out.
RedFrogTango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 06:47 AM   #4
ta-rider
Returned from Africa

Oddometer: 130
I would take a Mitas E07 insted. The TKC only lasts a fraction of the Mitas tire but is more expensive just because is looks better ;)
ta-rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 07:01 AM   #5
Smoke Eater 3
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 566
I doubt the TKC80 is more expensive because it looks better. It has a pretty soft compound so it wears quicker than some tires but that soft compound also allows it to be a great all around tire. It works well on the road and off road. The compromise is that you'll wear the rear out in a few thousand miles. It's worth it to me for good performance.
Smoke Eater 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 07:56 AM   #6
Wallowa
Beastly Adventurer

Depends On Bike Tire Size/Load

Quote:
Originally Posted by ta-rider View Post
I would take a Mitas E07 insted. The TKC only lasts a fraction of the Mitas tire but is more expensive just because is looks better ;)

The TKCs besides giving outstanding off road control are one of the few tires available that offers tires in the sizes and load capacity needed on GSs and GSAs.
Old 09-09-2014, 07:59 AM   #7
bomber60015
Anatomically Correct

Oddometer: 8,814
I wore out two sets on my KLR . . . . . . decided to try Shinkos . . . . . . I'll be getting TKCs again for my next set . . . . . . .

Their performance on and off pavement make em worth it for me.
"Here is your country. Cherish these natural wonders, cherish the natural resources, cherish the history and romance as a sacred heritage, for your children and your children's children. Do not let selfish men or greedy interests skin your country of its beauty, its riches or its romance. T.R.
bomber60015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 08:06 AM   #8
alongat
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 875
The big problem for you is going to be finding a solution in the correct size. Unless I'm wrong, your bike is going to have a 5" or even (and likely) 5.5" rear rim so undersizing the tire is going to present a whole bunch of issues so for all intents and purposes, you are going to need to stick to either a 180/55/17 or go as small as a 170/60-16 but if you go with the Mitas E07 (which is what I wanted as well for my big Adventure), you will need to run a 150/70-17 which is too small for my 5" wide rear rim let alone your 5.5". If you are prepared to run that small of a tire size, your options open up and if you want knobbly tires on a tight budget, try the Kenda Big Block though in researching them, you will no doubtably arrive at many mixed opinions as when I researched them as a low-cost knobby solution. The E07 is an amazing tire - I wish they would produce them in my proper sizes of 120 front and 170/180 rear...

Good luck and by the way, the TKC80 is an amazing tire whose road handling capability almost defies the laws of physics given that it's a knobby but they don't last...at all, especially if they're on a bike with lots of power ridden by someone who enjoys ripping around.

And how can this be? For he is the Kwisatz Haderach!
alongat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 09:25 AM   #9
wmfleet2 OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 815
Thanks guys great input have until OCT 10-13 or 14 . to get ready for this

2014 BWDR Camp Out and cat juggling festival. will let you know how they work for me
wmfleet2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 11:48 AM   #10
Wallowa
Beastly Adventurer

If.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmfleet2 View Post

If tire life is a big issue for you...remember the rubber and lugs on any off road tire will melt, literally, on asphalt at higher speeds and higher ambient temps....soooooo, on my TKCs/GSA when I am 'forced' to ride asphalt to get to dirt I limit my speed to 55 mph...since rears go fastest, the amount of wheel spin and hard rear braking also takes off the rubber...all in all you can get really good mileage off road [I consider 3,500 miles + for rear good...but I change mine way before the lugs are gone] with the TKCs if you manage your throttle smoothly and don't drag or use heavy rear braking...off road I use a lot of front brake and since they are linked, I automatically get 30% rear brake..

Last tip...keep your tire pressure up...fewer punctures and less tire heat/wear.

Really, you are using your Duck off road? Kool

Phil