User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-19-2013, 10:11 AM   #1
kristy77a OP
Capt Slow

Oddometer: 2
Pissed Gerbings 7V jacket reviews?

Am considering buying Gerbings (Gerbing's?) 7V heated jacket liner. This is the new one with the onboard battery. Has mixed reviews already on Revzilla but am soliciting further user experience, impressions, etc regarding both product and company.

The consensus of the middling reviews concern poor battery performance when jacket is on lowest heat setting. I know batteries don't work as well when cold. Almost seems as if the battery needs its own heater to stay warm.

FYI
, I've never owned heated gear of any sort. Did once use a friend's BMW plug-in vest - worked fine. Thanks. for any info.
Old 12-20-2013, 01:25 PM   #2
Hubbman
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 706
Just got mine...

Not sure yet becuase i just took delivery last week!

I'll know more after the holidays when I actually have some time to ride. I'll report back. The one thing I wish this jacket did have was heated arms. This jacket only has heated chest, back and collar, but I also expect this could work well with my Rukka gear!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kristy77a View Post
Am considering buying Gerbings (Gerbing's?) 7V heated jacket liner. This is the new one with the onboard battery. Has mixed reviews already on Revzilla but am soliciting further user experience, impressions, etc regarding both product and company.

The consensus of the middling reviews concern poor battery performance when jacket is on lowest heat setting. I know batteries don't work as well when cold. Almost seems as if the battery needs its own heater to stay warm.

FYI
, I've never owned heated gear of any sort. Did once use a friend's BMW plug-in vest - worked fine. Thanks. for any info.
Hubbman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 02:33 PM   #3
Bardley
n00b

Oddometer: 6
I've had one of these for a few weeks now..

http://www.exo2.co.uk/01023mc-stormr...tml?cPath=17_5

..and have to say that I should have bought one ages ago.

I run it on my 990 adv '08 hella socket with no issues, and also on a BMW R1200 RT '13.

It draws very low amps, and has kept the temp. Well. I was out last week early hours, and as a colleague described- Its the difference between Staying Warm, and Not Getting Cold.

I wore a thin tech t shirt, then a cotton sleeved turtle neck thing, and then the body warmer.

Toasty and no aching shoulders (that I usually get in cold weather!)

I bought this over the Gerbing after reading a few reliabilty issues, and hearing my mates tales of having to send gloves and jackets back for warranty replacements. A great service, but Id rather have a reliable jacket. EXO2 also have lifetime warranty...

Sent from my Lumia 800 using Tapatalk
Old 12-27-2013, 11:36 AM   #4
kristy77a OP
Capt Slow

Oddometer: 2
Pissed

Great feedback, thanks guys (and please keep me posted with any new insights).

FYI, I've seen EXO advertised in BIKE to which I subscribe here in New York. Expensive magazine, coming all the way from UK but worth it.
Old 12-27-2013, 12:02 PM   #5
Mattleycrue76
Adventurer

Oddometer: 29
I've had the 7V heated vest for a couple weeks. I have only used it when running errands and such. I bought a leftover one on sale and it came with the older 2.2Ah battery. I also purchased one of the the next gen 2.5Ah batteries. My impressions are as follows: it works better, the closer to the skin you wear it. It only really seems useful on the highest setting. The conection between the old battery and the jacket plug is junk, the newer battery addressed this issue. The newer battery seems to work significantly longer (longer than the difference in capacity would suggest. I like the vest idea. It leaves my arms to move more freely when wearing additional layers over the top and the sleeves aren't heated anyway. I have yet to get too warm using it. If I were going to use it on a bike only I would buy the plug in 12V version (and I still might). I tried the plug in version and it's in another league as far as output. I only paid $100 inc. the battery and charger. For that, I'm satisfied. If I had to pay full price I'd go for the plug in version, hands down.
Mattleycrue76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 12:43 PM   #6
Hubbman
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 706
Good Stuff.... but...

I finally had an occasion to use my new 7V on my ride down the coast from SF to Big Sur! It was a brisk 34 degrees when I set off and with my Rukka Airob jacket is was perfect (no Gore liner installed). Honestly, I turned it off as I hit the Monterey Peninsula because the wind stopping fabric of this Gerbing jacket was enough to make me very comfortable.

This is a very high quality jacket and I recommend it 100%

The ONLY problem is that my wife discovered this jacket and now she wants to wear it around the house just to stay warm... I guess I'll need to get her one in her size for her every day needs!
Hubbman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 08:25 AM   #7
byways
byways

Oddometer: 2,032
A heated jacket liner that doesn't have heated arms? Is that correct?

My arms are the only part of me that get cold. I'd be happy if someone would just make heated arm sleeves I could slip on. After all, we can get heated socks and insoles.
byways is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 09:35 AM   #8
Speedo66
Transient

Oddometer: 6,129
Keep your arms warm and your hands stay warmer too.

Speedo66 is offline   Reply With Quote