Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-08-2010, 08:55 AM   #406
HaChayalBoded
Brooklyn Bored

Oddometer: 7,341
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spam16v
i know i can order from there but there is a http://www.tractorsupply.com/ next to my work and was wondering if i can walk in and walk out with what i need it would be dandy.
It's called an operators manual canister. But you just tell them its a long cylinder shaped tube with a cap
HaChayalBoded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 09:25 AM   #407
BHW
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,026
I bought mine in the store. I looked all over the tractor section, then asked someone. They ended up being over in the tool department.
Old 03-09-2010, 09:52 PM   #408
ChasingTheSun
Itinerant

Oddometer: 61
9$ home depot. doesnt seem to have clearance on the inside of the pannier, still figuring out where i want the thing...

Photobucket

ChasingTheSun screwed with this post 03-09-2010 at 11:15 PM
ChasingTheSun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 07:17 AM   #409
jaycommando
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 103
what kind...?

hey chasing the sun what kinda tube is that??

Just because I stink of petrol, look like shit and still smile doesn't mean I've not been having fun!

Soldiers Do It With Their Helmets ON!!
jaycommando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 07:46 AM   #410
Rick West
Function not Farkles

Oddometer: 1,222
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaycommando
Welding rod tube
Old 03-10-2010, 09:40 AM   #411
ChasingTheSun
Itinerant

Oddometer: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaycommando
What rick said, its used as a "welding rod tube." some other guys on the forum were running them, so I thought I would try it out. It seems pretty well made, and pretty waterproof. for the price i'm not sure you can beat it if you are looking for a tool tube. The only thing is...it's pretty damn big and I couldn't really see mounting it anywhere else (on my bike at least.) I'm probably going to end up putting it inside the pannier.
Old 03-21-2010, 12:10 PM   #412
idea man
Plate Spinner

Oddometer: 2,513
Rocket Launcher

I hate to even put this out there but this was a little home made bodge job I did with some 2.5 and 1.75 inch PVC pipe and some zipties.

In the middle are a couple of "pipe bombs" I filled with liquids that shouldn't mix with other things. I sealed one end with plumbers epoxy and the other end just pressure sealed. On the right hand side I have a monopod but you can put just about anything inthere you want. The caps sealed up very well and the whole thing acted like a frame to mount a large Rev Pack Expedition pack on. I thought labeling the pipes would be a good idea to (maybe) asuage any concerns a border person might have with my frame.

8500 miles later the thing is still assembled in my garage in case I ever have a need for it again. Maybe on the Great Ride East.
[*]'06 1150 GSA Thread: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=375824[*]'06 1150 GSA SE Registry: http://www.ericsyn.com/2006bmwr1150gsadv.html[*]Great Ride North, Alaska/Yukon '09 http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=494846[/LIST]
idea man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 07:47 AM   #413
tipler
Adventurer

Oddometer: 92
I have the same welding rod tube (Canadian tire). Mounted across the touratech rack with two hose clamps. That sucker can take a lot of kit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChasingTheSun
9$ home depot. doesnt seem to have clearance on the inside of the pannier, still figuring out where i want the thing...

tipler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 11:22 AM   #414
dcwn.45
Frozen Rider

Oddometer: 752
I just swapped out the painted pvc tube on my wee (it was looking pretty trashed)
For 2 of the home depot welding rod tubes, and I had to take a dremel tool to the inside to grind down the ridges in order to put an msr fuel bottle inside.
I carry the fuel bottle in 1 and chain lube /tire levers in the other.
Maybe a rag , zip ties , spare bungee, or small bits as well.
I like the screw top, but heads up on the smaller diameter.
Old 04-30-2010, 07:01 PM   #415
Engine698
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
Finally, after 16 months of owning the Tool tubes...

I finally mounted them... In my living room (ahh the life of a grad student). Thanks for everyone who helped with ideas, hopefully this will help you other KLRers looking for a cheap way to mount. I will post after a few hundred miles to let you know if the exhaust side tube melted off and if the Zip ties held up.

KLR Tool Tube Full View

I relocated the tail lights with "L" brackets.
IMG_2689
IMG_2683
IMG_2684
IMG_2685
Zip ties? really? What's the over under they hold? Also, note the spacers. As a typical KLRer, I spray painted some plastic corks from cheap wine. They work great and are super durable.
KLR Tool Tube w Cross bar
I added a cross bar for extra stability for when I wreck in Mexico.

IMG_2681
Attached Images

Engine698 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 12:05 PM   #416
Possu
de-nOObed!

Oddometer: 5,208
Just finished making these pannier frames for my partners DRZ, I wanted to keep the weight forwards, leaving room for a Tooltube (tyre levers etc):

I included an O'ring to secure the lid to prevent it working loose & dumping the contents, the bike's off on a trip to South America starting mid-August.
Old 05-02-2010, 01:02 AM   #417
Wildman
In my castle

Oddometer: 17,713
Nice job Steve.
Ridden; GBR CYM DEU FRA ESP AND MCO ITA BEL SCT LUX CHE SMR LIE AUT NLD POL LTU LVA EST SWE FIN NOR DNK CZE SVK HUN ROU BGR GRC MKD SRB ALB MNE BIH HRV SVN MYS IRL BRA MAR PRT ARE USA ISL JPN MLT Planning; AUS TUR MDA UKR MEX BLR MNG RUS KAZ TJK KGZ SEN ZAF ZMB MWI NZL IND CPN
Wildman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 01:32 PM   #418
gpracer171
Kodak Courage

Oddometer: 360
larger tube

Anybody know where to find the larger diameter version of this tool tube? I would like to check out the large diameter for my f800GS.

2010 BWM F800GS
2007 Yamaha WR450

If you are not moving forward, you are falling behind...

"Harley Davidson - There is not more efficient method of converting fossil fuel to heat and noise without the by-product of power", Unknown
gpracer171 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 03:44 AM   #419
davsato
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 799
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpracer171
Anybody know where to find the larger diameter version of this tool tube? I would like to check out the large diameter for my f800GS.
john deere dealers have the fatter ones, and when youre there try and blag a test drive on something big green and noisy.
davsato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 03:49 AM   #420
davsato
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 799
Quote:
Originally Posted by Possu
Just finished making these pannier frames for my partners DRZ, I wanted to keep the weight forwards, leaving room for a Tooltube (tyre levers etc):

I included an O'ring to secure the lid to prevent it working loose & dumping the contents, the bike's off on a trip to South America starting mid-August.

nice job possu, i especially like the oil can thats very neat (at least i assume its for oil)
davsato is offline   Reply With Quote