Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-29-2010, 07:49 AM   #466
HaChayalBoded
Brooklyn Bored

Oddometer: 7,409
Quote:
Originally Posted by BinDerSmokDat
Hmmh the mega seems to be the ticket, but I'll have to go measure the Ural tool roll, it's a bit longer than most due to the tire spoons and bigger wrenches.
replace or cut down the tire irons and wrenches. No need for one large than 12".

The mega tube is not longer, it is just wider. Actually both the mega and standard tube from that him can be had with deeper caps, which gives you an extra half inch. Holds a 2l bottle of pepsi (but not coke) perfectly. Get two and you can haul an extra gallon of fuel.
HaChayalBoded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 07:55 AM   #467
HaChayalBoded
Brooklyn Bored

Quote:
Looking for some slightly larger tubes than the 12" tractor tubes for the Ural I found these Chinese Mortar tubes...a bit long and wide, but would fit maps, fishing poles, camera tripods, etc.

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/c....aspx?a=704345

Does anyone have the link to 18" Tractor tubes? Would like to get 1L Bruntons plus some small items in each tube.
British 81 mortor tubes are around that length, maybe a little longer.
Old 08-29-2010, 11:43 AM   #468
jaycommando
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 103
81mm HE

Make sure you take the round out first cos its a bitch to carry otherwise! The smallest guys can carry the baseplate for you!

Just because I stink of petrol, look like shit and still smile doesn't mean I've not been having fun!

Soldiers Do It With Their Helmets ON!!
jaycommando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 07:12 PM   #469
BinDerSmokDat
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 404
Quote:
Originally Posted by HaChayalBoded
replace or cut down the tire irons and wrenches. No need for one large than 12".
None of the tools are longer than 12" but with the extra material of the roll I'd need about 14" to fit it comfortably. I'm thinking one tube about 14" for the tool roll, one regular tube for a 1L Brunton. I'd mount both to the side car struts, they are sturdy, protected from snags and it frees up trunk space for helmets and such. Plus I can make some plates and use the bolts through the shackles as mounting points; rock solid.
BinDerSmokDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 08:14 AM   #470
Squeaky
A Few Loose Screws...

Oddometer: 1,610
I finally managed to find the time to mount two tubes onto my XR4.

Front hole uses the back seat bolt, rear hole (drilled the tab) goes through the fender plastic and into the back-most frame hole. Seems to hold pretty well, only failure would be if the tab broke off.

Fuel canister will go on the left, and either water or extra tools will go on the right. The bag in the middle (ATV tank bag from Pep Boys) holds a decent tool kit and one extra tube already.

The only problem so far has been that I've now eliminated the spot I used to hold the rear of the bike to move it around or pick it up. One idea is to run a piece of webbing between the two seat bots (with grommets at the bolts) to create a "handle" at the back of the seat.

'98 XR400R "Templeton"

Squeaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 11:48 PM   #471
farcall
Bike-a-holic

Oddometer: 1,825
On my GSA back in March '09.

5 mins to fit/remove. Proven to be a durable mount system over 10,000km rugged Aussie kms (+6,000 miles) since the pic. Both tubes are used to carry tools & spares.

farcall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 01:20 PM   #472
Fe Man
I am Iron Moran!

Oddometer: 7,833
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalTA
You absolutely sure the rear tire isn't going to make contact if the rear suspension was to be fully compressed?

If you have something to say about my wife....

No way it's going to hit with the way she rides. Her airborne antics are limited to a bit of late night cowgirl but that's it!

Ok, so I got it to hit; scrubbed it up pretty good!
I will be relocating it.
Old 09-08-2010, 02:32 PM   #473
HaChayalBoded
Brooklyn Bored

finally got around to putting one on the new ride.
Old 09-08-2010, 05:01 PM   #474
DirtyOldMan
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,890
Quote:
Originally Posted by HaChayalBoded
finally got around to putting one on the new ride.
Ooh! I wanna see the rest of that bike.

13 650 Terra

96 R1100R
DirtyOldMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 06:40 PM   #475
Maggot12
U'mmmm yeaah!!

Oddometer: 3,279
Quote:
Looking for some slightly larger tubes than the 12" tractor tubes for the Ural I found these Chinese Mortar tubes...a bit long and wide, but would fit maps, fishing poles, camera tripods, etc.

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/c....aspx?a=704345

Does anyone have the link to 18" Tractor tubes? Would like to get 1L Bruntons plus some small items in each tube.
Most over at stromtrooper including myself, made their own out of plumbers pipe. 4" abs (or is it pvc?), cut to length at at 16-18in, mine's 18. Blank cap in one end, screw on cap at the other. Then bolted it on to the interior of the rear left motech rack. Cost 10 bucks for parts, couple for abs cement, 10 minutes to make it and an hr playing around installing it.

Ken
Maggot12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 11:22 PM   #476
HaChayalBoded
Brooklyn Bored

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyOldMan
Ooh! I wanna see the rest of that bike.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...postcount=5186
Old 09-09-2010, 01:59 PM   #477
zap2504
Dave E.

Oddometer: 563
Quote:
None of the tools are longer than 12" but with the extra material of the roll I'd need about 14" to fit it comfortably. I'm thinking one tube about 14" for the tool roll, one regular tube for a 1L Brunton. I'd mount both to the side car struts, they are sturdy, protected from snags and it frees up trunk space for helmets and such. Plus I can make some plates and use the bolts through the shackles as mounting points; rock solid.
The plastic HF welding rod holder with screw-on lid is 16" and around $6. http://www.harborfreight.com/welding...per-46477.html

Just sayin...
zap2504 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 02:11 PM   #478
jaycommando
Gnarly Adventurer

MT350e

Those MT350e's come with a tool tube on the right side under the rifle carrier, If I were you you can strip off all the scaffolding that stops it getting to beat up and you'll lose about 60-70Lbs thats what we did in Iraq, Had 12 bikes n 4 riders so we just rode em into the ground then picked up the next one. ahhh the life of a Moto dispatch rider!!
The standard shocks are ohlins and fully adjustable the stupid plastic covering the front brake comes off easy as does the indicators. Lots of abuse will get it working right Ive seen em dropped off ships into sea water and lads riding em full pelt into sandbowls only to flip a few times: straighten the forks and kick it to life (on the left) cos the switch broke and works fine great bike and cant wait to thrash one again!
Sorry to Jack the thread but love those bikes! Cheap and awesome!
Their produced under licence by HD who bought the patient from Armstrong then downsized the CC to 350 coz you yanks cant handle a throbbing 500! however they did move the rectifier out from under the seat stopping a burnt arse, and added an electric start. however as i said before the kick is on the left so its a bitch to kick unless you use the centerstand and jump on the pedal.

Cheers for the memories!

Just because I stink of petrol, look like shit and still smile doesn't mean I've not been having fun!

jaycommando screwed with this post 09-09-2010 at 02:18 PM
Old 09-09-2010, 02:58 PM   #479
HaChayalBoded
Brooklyn Bored

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaycommando
Those MT350e's come with a tool tube on the right side under the rifle carrier, If I were you you can strip off all the scaffolding that stops it getting to beat up and you'll lose about 60-70Lbs thats what we did in Iraq, Had 12 bikes n 4 riders so we just rode em into the ground then picked up the next one. ahhh the life of a Moto dispatch rider!!
The standard shocks are ohlins and fully adjustable the stupid plastic covering the front brake comes off easy as does the indicators. Lots of abuse will get it working right Ive seen em dropped off ships into sea water and lads riding em full pelt into sandbowls only to flip a few times: straighten the forks and kick it to life (on the left) cos the switch broke and works fine great bike and cant wait to thrash one again!
Sorry to Jack the thread but love those bikes! Cheap and awesome!
Their produced under licence by HD who bought the patient from Armstrong then downsized the CC to 350 coz you yanks cant handle a throbbing 500! however they did move the rectifier out from under the seat stopping a burnt arse, and added an electric start. however as i said before the kick is on the left so its a bitch to kick unless you use the centerstand and jump on the pedal.

Cheers for the memories!
The OEM rectangular tool box is right below the tool tube. I just don't have the cap for it and the two rubber band thingies are busted. I also already had the tube so I figured why not mount it.

What did you remove? I'm guessing the rear rack, the steel supports for the front panniers and gun box are already off this particular bike. Thats nearly 35lbs right there.

This is a US MT500E, just a hair different than the MT350\500 in the UK but not by much. No centerstand here, but one from am MT350 is a direct bolt on.

Left kick is preferred by me actually, and this is so easy to kick over you can use bare feet with your left foot and kick it right over.
Old 09-09-2010, 07:56 PM   #480
jaycommando
Gnarly Adventurer

cut off...

Does yours come with the large rear crash bars running from the base of the swing arm to the rear rack? They arnt needed and I personally kept getting my boot caught up on it when dabbing. Also be wary of the key! A screwdriver can start these things the keys are mass produced punched steel and everyone is the same. If you know some one good with locks get them to change out the barrel for you. False neutral are common and the older ones need a lot of warming up before they'll idle well. But then army petrol was never the best stuff. Don't want to tell you to suck eggs but when you change the oil there's two drain plugs. One on the frame below the triple tree, this really gushes and one on the right side of the block behind a stupid plastic panel.
Enjoy the ride. Saw you vid of 14 Sigs 24hr enduro. I took part in that in 07 brilliant race. Had the red bull girls there at the start giving out free vodka n redbull. The local hospital was full of lads the next day with every thing from scratches to seperatted shoulders! Only military race like it in the world!