Old 08-12-2012, 09:32 PM   #571
donny662
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 370
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiritwalker2222 View Post
This is the tool tube I had.

http://www.thetooltube.com/ToolTube.html

There was no way the tube made contact with the tire. Possible with the swingarm, but I doubt it. If the swingarm made contact with the tube it would have stessed the lower mounting point which was fine.
The seller does say "satisfaction guaranteed," but I think that expecting those mounting tabs to hold up to aggressive off road riding is extremely . . . optimistic.

After the tabs broke on one of my tool tubes (from a high side crash), I sawed what was left of the tabs off and attached the tube to my bike with big hose clamps.

Hobbes: Like that book report you're supposed to be writing now on the book you haven't read?

Calvin: Exactly. Case in point.
donny662 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 06:55 AM   #572
fbj913
I ride

Oddometer: 2,268
Quote:
Originally Posted by donny662 View Post
The seller does say "satisfaction guaranteed," but I think that expecting those mounting tabs to hold up to aggressive off road riding is extremely . . . optimistic.

After the tabs broke on one of my tool tubes (from a high side crash), I sawed what was left of the tabs off and attached the tube to my bike with big hose clamps.
Mine kinda did the same thing as above. He replaced mine for free.
fbj913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 02:27 PM   #573
Meritlane
Adventurer

Oddometer: 49
I figured out a system to mount a couple of tubes on an F800GS with Varios. I didn't want to drill any new holes so I could return the case to native when the tubes are not in use. I popped out the rubber feet and attach this rig via those two holes, adding some 2x2" square aluminum stock inside for reinforcement. If I add a couple of well place holes I'll be able to put the tube unit on the bike easily when the varios aren't needed. I added an additional eye hook that's the right size to hang a wheel lock when not being used.

Meritlane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 05:33 PM   #574
Spiritwalker2222
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 112
Quote:

I was on some bad washboard trails, but two days!

Anyways, the guy at tooltube refunded me my money. No harm, no foul.

Spiritwalker2222 screwed with this post 08-28-2012 at 06:12 AM
Spiritwalker2222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 02:17 PM   #575
bross
Where we riding to?

Oddometer: 4,346
We'll see how mine holds up. My wife and I are off on a 4 day dual sport ride next week.

bross is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 10:22 AM   #576
One Less Harley
OH.THAT'S GONNA HURT

Oddometer: 4,595
Tool tube on DRZ 400, with a quick release looped around the cap. AGRI supply for $4.99

2003 Suzuki DRZ 400S (TAT Prep)
One More DRZ does the TAT (Ride Report)

One Less Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 09:25 PM   #577
bross
Where we riding to?

4 day adventure ride

Just got back from the BC Big Trailie Ride, was way rougher that I expected, no issues with the tool tube at all...

Old 09-13-2012, 06:17 AM   #578
UnclebudinTX
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by bross View Post
Just got back from the BC Big Trailie Ride, was way rougher that I expected, no issues with the tool tube at all...

I hate it when the road turns to powder!!! First thought is "it wont last long i can ride it out" a few minutes later second thought say "crap i v gone this far, i cant stop now" a little later " why didnt i stop when i first entered this powdery crap", "help me pick this thing up".................lol been there done that.............
1979 Kawasaki KZ1000st (sold)
1991 Harley XLHsporty 883 (sold)
UnclebudinTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 08:01 PM   #579
surfin
n00b

Oddometer: 1
I have used the tool tubes a bit differently and used them as water canisters.

2 at the front filled with water, with camelbak tubes coming from them. Works great and keeps the weight off my back

I also have one mounted just behind my front bumper for any tools I need to carry

surfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 02:03 AM   #580
vanseagal
Adventurer

Oddometer: 75
Question

The question is how to mount tool tube to -06 DL650 with no pannier rack? Is there a cheap and easy way? I know the Dan Vesels products but it is very expensive to order it from USA to Finland.

I have a Pelican 1500 top box. Has anybody mounted tool tubes to the sides of a top box? I tried to find pictures of any bike with that set up but failed. I'm afraid that if I mount the tool tubes to top box, the bike will look like a rocket launcher or a Spacehip.

Thanks,

Tuomo
vanseagal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 03:14 AM   #581
Ceri JC
UK GSer

Oddometer: 2,462
Quote:

I agree and have proof. I had one of these sat in my garage ready to fit to the bike; I thought better of it when I saw one snap on a dirt ride. The rider didn't crashed, nor had it taken a hit in the past. The mounting tab just sheared from the vibration/impacts of the bike. That's why were are pulled over at this part of the video below (rewind the video to see the sort of riding that it couldn't handle)

These things are designed for keeping paper manuals dry on tractors that do 15mph. Not Advriding, IMO.
Old 12-06-2012, 05:09 AM   #582
ben2go
Moto Flunky

Oddometer: 3,062
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanseagal View Post
The question is how to mount tool tube to -06 DL650 with no pannier rack? Is there a cheap and easy way? I know the Dan Vesels products but it is very expensive to order it from USA to Finland.

I have a Pelican 1500 top box. Has anybody mounted tool tubes to the sides of a top box? I tried to find pictures of any bike with that set up but failed. I'm afraid that if I mount the tool tubes to top box, the bike will look like a rocket launcher or a Spacehip.

Thanks,

Tuomo
Do you have crash bars or case guards to protect the engine in the event of a drop?I have seen other inmates mount tool tubes to those and also to the top of their skid plate or bash plate.
ben2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 07:02 PM   #583
bross
Where we riding to?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanseagal View Post

Thanks,

Tuomo
Quote:
Originally Posted by oisterska View Post
So what have you done with the holes in the official agri-supply operators manual tubes? I mounted them on my top case as seen below, and will be using them for fuel storage. The holes are on the mount-side, and I assume it would not be ideal for water to get in. Any reason not to seal them?

Pics:

I wanted to paint them like rocket boosters, but that sounded like work. Decided on the Buell pegasus instead. Anyway, holes: sealed? Unsealed? Also, loving the reflective tape idea.
Scroll back a few pages
Old 12-14-2012, 10:55 AM   #584
gatogato
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 774
Quote:

Hey guys, I am kind of an expert on these tubes. The mounting tabs are not made to withstand off road riding or carrying all the weight of fuel.

You can grind the tabs off and attach the tubes directly to one of your frame bars with large hose clamps if you want to use it for that purpose.

I am running a holiday special on these tubes and definitely have the best deal on them. You get 2 tubes shipped to your door USPS Priority insured for only $22.99

Agri Supply charges ridiculous shipping on them.

Here is my group buy thread in the vendors section:
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=841622

btw: I have sold panniers and helmets in bulk on advrider before and have a great reputation so no need to worry about integrity.

Thank You,
Jeff
http://www.journeyrider.net
gatogato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 08:02 PM   #585
zoomzu
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 132
I mount mine on my skid plate full of tools. Did the beginning and the end of the WABDR flawlessly. Still in one piece. The one I keep mounted yearly, not problems been on for 1 1/2 yearso far. The only one I've broke was when I crashed on it. My $.02