ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Equipment
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-14-2012, 10:22 PM   #586
Laconic
Gaulded
 
Laconic's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2007
Location: Moran Nation, NC
Oddometer: 15,382




Laconic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 08:05 AM   #587
CDNbiker
Lost in Space
 
CDNbiker's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2010
Location: Toronto, ON
Oddometer: 494
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laconic View Post




Nice Job! I have not seen those plumbing stoppers before - that's a perfect solution.
__________________
"The memories of a man in his old age are the deeds of a man in his prime" - Pink Floyd
CDNbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 11:27 PM   #588
jonnyc21
n00b sums it up.
 
jonnyc21's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2011
Location: Boise aria
Oddometer: 728
Laugh Me me me, I want one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laconic View Post




Have parts list I can use to make one? if not place you picked it up?
jonnyc21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 11:30 PM   #589
Nanuq
Aventurer by Trade
 
Nanuq's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2007
Location: Point Hope, Sitka & Biorka Island- all in Alaska
Oddometer: 1,058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laconic View Post




Friggin' brilliant!
__________________
2008 KLR 685- Iron Butt Association #44803
Trippin' in the Yukon & the AK!

"I'd rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on Earth" - Steve McQueen
Nanuq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 10:18 PM   #590
Laconic
Gaulded
 
Laconic's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2007
Location: Moran Nation, NC
Oddometer: 15,382
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnyc21 View Post
Have parts list I can use to make one? if not place you picked it up?
Sorry I missed your question.

The tube is 3" PVC with a cap glued on, painted black and a pressure test plug on the other end, all available at the hardware store. The plate is the remnant of an old street sign. The clamps come from McMaster-Carr; search for cushion clamps and select the size to fit the OD of your pipe.
Laconic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 11:07 AM   #591
Andrew
Optimus Primer
 
Andrew's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2001
Location: Eastbania
Oddometer: 14,808
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laconic View Post
Nice. And it looks like you can easily remove a fair section of the plug bolt - or put a hole through it and place a small padlock to hinder hoodlums from tinkering with the wingnut.
__________________
Splitting lanes, and splitting hairs.
Andrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 05:08 AM   #592
DDT Rider
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Aug 2011
Location: Kanagawa, Japan
Oddometer: 473
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laconic View Post
Sorry I missed your question.

The tube is 3" PVC with a cap glued on, painted black and a pressure test plug on the other end, all available at the hardware store. The plate is the remnant of an old street sign. The clamps come from McMaster-Carr; search for cushion clamps and select the size to fit the OD of your pipe.
What did the OD of that 3" PVC turn out to be..3 1/4 or 3 1/2?
DDT Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 05:21 AM   #593
Grinnin
Forever N00b
 
Joined: Dec 2005
Location: Maine
Oddometer: 2,363
CPVC grey

I used thin-walled grey CPVC. The pipe and fittings both have thinner walls so the end bulges are thinner than some I've seen. Then I replaced the big wing nut with a phillips/slotted screw. If I lose the screwdriver in the regular tool kit then any key or scrap of metal can open this.
__________________
Motorcycles are magical.


Grinnin screwed with this post 02-28-2013 at 05:39 AM Reason: Replaced photo
Grinnin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 06:40 AM   #594
tuna101
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Nov 2012
Location: Joshua Tree,Ca.
Oddometer: 240
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grinnin View Post
I used thin-walled grey CPVC. The pipe and fittings both have thinner walls so the end bulges are thinner than some I've seen. Then I replaced the big wing nut with a phillips/slotted screw. If I lose the screwdriver in the regular tool kit then any key or scrap of metal can open this.
That's keeping the weight low
tuna101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 06:49 AM   #595
Grinnin
Forever N00b
 
Joined: Dec 2005
Location: Maine
Oddometer: 2,363
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuna101 View Post
That's keeping the weight low
It holds 17" and 21" tubes, tire irons, aluminum bicycle pump, and the heavier of my tools. So I didn't want it with the other luggage.

Plumbing sizes are all nominal and a thin-walled pipe fits the same fittings as a thick-walled pipe. I.e. thin walled has a larger ID for the same named size.
__________________
Motorcycles are magical.

Grinnin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 04:50 PM   #596
fbj913
I ride
 
fbj913's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2007
Location: KC MO
Oddometer: 2,238
I've broke 2 of the Mega tubes now. Time to move on! Same place broke on the last one too.
fbj913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 05:14 PM   #597
majorpayne
Gnarly Adventurer
 
majorpayne's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2012
Oddometer: 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbj913 View Post
I've broke 2 of the Mega tubes now. Time to move on! Same place broke on the last one too.
That's why I went the PVC route. However, mounting with some rubber washers could help. But a direct hit to the tube will probably still break the tabs.
majorpayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 05:20 PM   #598
fbj913
I ride
 
fbj913's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2007
Location: KC MO
Oddometer: 2,238
Quote:
Originally Posted by majorpayne View Post
That's why I went the PVC route. However, mounting with some rubber washers could help. But a direct hit to the tube will probably still break the tabs.
It wasn't hit and it was secured below separately. Just rattled away and broke.
fbj913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 05:37 PM   #599
majorpayne
Gnarly Adventurer
 
majorpayne's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2012
Oddometer: 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbj913 View Post
It wasn't hit and it was secured below separately. Just rattled away and broke.
Rubber washers/isolators could work then...but it does reaffirm why I went with the PVC tube.
majorpayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 08:01 PM   #600
ben2go
Moto Flunky
 
ben2go's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2011
Location: Upstate SC USA
Oddometer: 2,985
PVC tubes and T bolt clamps.Works like a dream.I get T bolt clamps at McMaster-Carr.http://www.mcmaster.com/#standard-hose-clamps/=na6qpx

I use old inner tubes to cut down on chafe and auto trim adhesive to hold it in place. http://www.autozone.com/autozone/acc...er=316901_0_0_
ben2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 04:38 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014