Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Hacks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-17-2008, 11:09 PM   #1
Cowboy OP
Ceteris non Paribus

Oddometer: 3,266
Any recommendations for sidecars to fit a /5?

I have a friend with a /5 he loves, who can't ride anymore as old age affects his balance. He wants to put a sidecar on the bike.

Anyone have suggestions for sidecars that work well? I know I can get a Chang/Ural sidecar for him easily, though I don't know whether it will fit the /5 frame well.
Cowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 03:41 AM   #2
vortexau
Outside the Pod-bay

Oddometer: 1,635
The actual sidecar isn't a great issue, although lighter-weight rigs would suit a R60/5 while the R75/5 will better handle a heavier chair. Its about the horses and the limitations of the original solo; factory 46 vs factory 57. Don't be forgetting that a 36 y. o. bike will have less hp than at its debut.

Factors-
Lower the final ratio (fit R60 to R75, & R50 to R60). On a chaindrive you just fit more teeth on wheel sprocket. Rather than changing the Hypoid ratio one can change the rolling tyre circumferance to a smaller size.

Reinforce the frame. /7s (particulary last models) are more crossbraced than /6 and /5 models. Some fit a subframe.

Reduce the trail at the front wheel. If the original geometry is retained, steering effort will be high as you are fighting the drag of the chair reinforced by the self-centering effect of the trail measurment. This factor affects trikes & outfits because they do not (or should not) lean in corners. That's excepting outfits like Equaleans, Flxibles & Armec Sidewinders.

Changing to Leading Links is one method (and quite sturdy if well built), but not the only way.

When an outfit is built, and has the geometry set suitably, there still remains re-training the driver! Many an accomplished solo rider has come to grief trying to pilot an outfit!

Why not peruse threads here at ADV to learn what chairs are fitted to Airheads? There's no RIGHT or WRONG choice really; its more whether the execution of its design & building is adequate.
Old 06-18-2008, 02:46 PM   #3
Yellow Iron
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,006
/5+hack=fun

Velorex
I changed tire size to get the rrrs up much cheaper than gears
Attached Images

Yellow Iron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 02:48 PM   #4
Yellow Iron
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,006
Better PIc

This one
Attached Images

Yellow Iron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 12:40 PM   #5
MUTZfern
Adventurer

Oddometer: 35
Laugh /5 ural

i just put one together.jay @dauntless has the subframe you need.works well and easy to put together.
MUTZfern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 05:43 PM   #6
Orpheus
more like fool sport

Oddometer: 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by vortexau
Factors-
Lower the final ratio (fit R60 to R75, & R50 to R60).
Sorry if I'm just dense, but do you mean fit an R75 engine to an R60 trans/final drive?
Orpheus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 08:33 PM   #7
Cheap Ryder
Ride for enlightenment

Oddometer: 550
Hack on a /5

I put a Velorex on a /6 R90 and had a barrel of fun. No frame reinforcement but it wasn't ever loaded too heavy. A heavy chunk of flat stock steel to give the two lower mounts something to mount to is a good idea. To change gearing on a shaft drive bike you can switch out the rear ring and pinion or find a complete rear drive unit from a smaller displacement bike that will be geared for more RPM for a given road speed. Then if your speedo is off just install one of the bicycle type speedos or a GPS.
Cheap Ryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 12:52 PM   #8
storymitchell
Member of the proletariat

Oddometer: 1,267

R75/5 with a Velorex. The Velorex was quite light, so much so that even with a car battery behind the sidecar seat there were places on the Washington DC beltway where I'd fly the sidecar at highway speeds. Scary the first time it happened; but it certainly worked to get the cars behind me to stay waaay back . I did not have a subframe, so there was noticeable frame flex. The front trail was stock, so it took a fair amount of muscle to ride on twisty roads. The gearing was stock, but it was not a really an issue at anything but highway speeds. Going up long hills 4th gear was simply too tall, and I'd end up having to run about 50 MPH in 3rd gear. Not a big deal, but I always kept a real close eye on the cars coming up behind me to make sure they were paying attention.

If I was going to do it again, I'd start with an R100 or K100, or a /2 conversion (a /2 with an R90 engine). With the amount of work it takes to get a /5 properly set up for a hack, you might as well start with a bike with an engine that has the power needed to comfortably run at highway speeds.

I returned, and saw under the sun, that the race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, neither yet bread to the wise, nor yet riches to men of understanding, nor yet favour to men of skill; but time and chance happeneth to them all.
storymitchell is offline   Reply With Quote