Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Battle scooters
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-07-2014, 04:58 AM   #1
GSlovak OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
Vespa starts when cold, stalls while riding...

I have a Vespa problem perhaps the collective wisdom here can solve.

It's my wife's 2010 300cc Vespa GTS. No problems with it until now. She took it down Blue Ridge Parkway last year without difficulty.

The details:

Problem started when she rode it to a dealer 110 miles away. Warm day, she ran low on gas, we got off the highway and the scooter stalled at a stoplight and refused to start. Starter would crank over fine but engine would not start.

I was on my own bike, got more gas, but it didn't help. We called the dealer, which sent out a truck.

Dealer worked on it, including a tune-up, and said it was okay. Their theory was we ran the tank dry and didn't crank it enough with the new gas to get it into the engine.

I thought that was kinda bogus but the scoot seemed fine.

She rode it home, it stalled out again on the highway 50 miles from the shop (in stop-and-go traffic) and refused to start as before. Gas was not an issue, we filled up before we left.

We called dealer again, they sent out a truck. After waiting 70 minutes, the engine started normally and purred like a kitten. Dealer took it away in the truck. No diagnosis yet.

I'm thinking the problem is the fuel pump.

But any advice you can give is greatly appreciated.
GSlovak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 05:11 AM   #2
GSAragazzi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,166
Not knowing specifics on your model I'll state the obvious for most EFI engines:
Check your fuel pump and any fuses or relays to it. If there are fuses for it replace, if there is a relay for it and it's an affordable part replace too, finally test your pump or replace.

Carb model?
Check the breather line, make sure its not clogged. Do you get a vacuum whrn you open the fuel tank? Check the petcock and fuel lines for clogs or kinks and then make sure needles and seals are ok in the carb.

For both style engines I would recommend to start with the cheap and move to the expensive.
GL
Old 08-07-2014, 06:08 AM   #3
Dabears
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,077
Go over to ModernVespa.com if you have not already.

I don't own a GTS, but have spent enough time on that forum to hear the same symptoms over and over being resolved with a fuel pump.

Has your dealer checked to see if yours was one of the models affected by the recall? I thought 2010 300s fell under the fuel pump recall. Your dealer should know this and be able to tell if your pump has been replaced (seems like the new design has a blue dot or something on top of it or something similar...).

Edit- spelling correction.

2012 SYM HD200 Evo
2006 R1200GS
1980 Vespa P200E
Dabears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 06:58 AM   #4
gogogordy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,866
Fuel pump recall

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSlovak View Post
I have a Vespa problem perhaps the collective wisdom here can solve.

It's my wife's 2010 300cc Vespa GTS. No problems with it until now. She took it down Blue Ridge Parkway last year without difficulty.

The details:

Problem started when she rode it to a dealer 110 miles away. Warm day, she ran low on gas, we got off the highway and the scooter stalled at a stoplight and refused to start. Starter would crank over fine but engine would not start.

I was on my own bike, got more gas, but it didn't help. We called the dealer, which sent out a truck.

Dealer worked on it, including a tune-up, and said it was okay. Their theory was we ran the tank dry and didn't crank it enough with the new gas to get it into the engine.

I thought that was kinda bogus but the scoot seemed fine.

She rode it home, it stalled out again on the highway 50 miles from the shop (in stop-and-go traffic) and refused to start as before. Gas was not an issue, we filled up before we left.

We called dealer again, they sent out a truck. After waiting 70 minutes, the engine started normally and purred like a kitten. Dealer took it away in the truck. No diagnosis yet.

I'm thinking the problem is the fuel pump.

But any advice you can give is greatly appreciated.
Some Vespas were recalled for a faulty fuel pump....not sure if the 300's are included. But...the symptoms sound a lot like those exhibited by a faulty pump on modern Vespas.