Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Battle scooters
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Today, 04:18 PM   #1
fullmetalscooter OP
Let me take this duck off

Oddometer: 2,471
Scooter cannonball 1923 vs Canonball 2014 90 year on.

Cannonball Baker was the first rider to set the coast to coast speed record 90 plus years ago. Well It seem like He also the First guy to go coast to coast on scooter in 1922. If you ve never heard of them he did it on a neracar. They made 15000 of them back then. 2 and 4 stroke models .

It's a 3000 mile trip at at a bilstering speed of 30 MPH on the Shit roads of the day. Neracar got 100 mpg . Here the story. http://www.motorcyclecannonball.com/...ries&Itemid=58

So I said that Because without much fan fare lets Step into the 21st century and meet Bob Addis of Cohoes, NY, and his 1923 Neracar. He doing the 2014 Cannonball for per 1936 bikes .

Link to his story on : http://www.motorcyclecannonball.com/images/nera3.jpg

The only 2 video I can find of him

An a random Close up video of on . From Scotland ? We don't understand the lanagune but it's funny sounding .

Well that's all I can find about the Neracar scooter in the 2014 Cannonball . I can't even find a blog for Bob . So I have to ask What about Bob?
93 years on it's cool that someone riding a scooter in the cannonball

Wiki link for this scooter . One strange but true fact is that King C Gillette . You know the best shave a man can get was an investor int this scooter. : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ner-A-Car
Old Today, 07:08 PM   #2
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Oddometer: 4,623
I want one of those. It's amazing how reliable bikes were back them, and they still run after almost a century. People think 3000 miles on rough dirt roads on a modern dual sport or adv bike is a big deal even today. The seat on that thing does look more comfortable than those on modern dual sports.
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 07:50 PM   #3
klx250sfguy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 453
Wow, that is cool. Interesting steering set-up eh? The fella in that last video was having fun. Made me smile.

Jerry, you're right about the seat looking more comfy than most modern day dual purpose bikes. The seat on my old KLX was like sitting on a 2X4. I had a local upholstery guy take it apart, add more foam, widen it. Helped a bit (but not much).

Notice the Corvair in the garage in the first pic? My dad had one of those back in the 60's. Wasn't it Ralph Nader who declared the Corvair "unsafe at any speed?"

To the OP: thanks for sharing this.

Rob
klx250sfguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 08:12 PM   #4
fullmetalscooter OP
Let me take this duck off

Oddometer: 2,471
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryH View Post
I want one of those. It's amazing how reliable bikes were back them, and they still run after almost a century. People think 3000 miles on rough dirt roads on a modern dual sport or adv bike is a big deal even today. The seat on that thing does look more comfortable than those on modern dual sports.
Today dirt road of nothing on the roads back then. Deep ruts, Clay/ mud . No really highways and I m guessing some of those high pass roads were just old wagon roads before the time of pavement. If cannonballs story about the road is dead on then it wasn't at all easy to get from on side of usa to the other.
I would guess that 10% of these scooter are left or around 1500. That s just going on today s stats when it comes to bikes. After 10 years 50% of bike made that year are off the road. Toasted for a host of reasons. I think it goes down 5% per year after that. That fact that 90 years ago this scooter didn't braked down at all durring the 3500 mile trip is fanstic.