User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-01-2014, 08:13 PM   #1
Oldenuftaknowbetter OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 137
Super Cub on Top Gear "Cars of the People"

Just a heads up--episode 2 of James May's "Top Gear Cars of the People" has about a 25 minute segment on the impact of the Super Cub on the motorization of the masses. It's going to be rerun tonight at 9 Pacific, Midnight Eastern on BBC Amerca, and again this coming Saturday at noon Pacific, 3pm Eastern.

May also rode a Super Cub some 800 miles on the Vietnam Top Gear special which reruns pretty frequently on BBCA. That episode is worth watching just to see our favorite numpty, Jeremy Clarkson, floundering the length of Vietnam on an ancient Vespa.
Oldenuftaknowbetter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 04:26 AM   #2
Dabears
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldenuftaknowbetter View Post
Just a heads up--episode 2 of James May's "Top Gear Cars of the People" has about a 25 minute segment on the impact of the Super Cub on the motorization of the masses. It's going to be rerun tonight at 9 Pacific, Midnight Eastern on BBC Amerca, and again this coming Saturday at noon Pacific, 3pm Eastern.

May also rode a Super Cub some 800 miles on the Vietnam Top Gear special which reruns pretty frequently on BBCA. That episode is worth watching just to see our favorite numpty, Jeremy Clarkson, floundering the length of Vietnam on an ancient Vespa.
I watched that last night- pretty cool to see the Honda and an old Vespa make that trek. The Honda was way under powered, but seemed to hold up pretty well. Fun episode with beautiful views of Vietnam.

2012 SYM HD200 Evo
2006 R1200GS
1980 Vespa P200E
Dabears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 12:00 PM   #3
DougFromKentucky
Old Fart

Oddometer: 403
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldenuftaknowbetter View Post
Thanks for the heads up. I just went and programmed my DVR to get it when it shows again on Saturday. Didn't know about it last night.

USMC 1970-1978: HMH-463 Evacuation of Saigon - April 1975, Evacuation of Phnom Phen during the Killing Fields Spring of 1975
DougFromKentucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 12:59 PM   #4
Dabears
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,128
Actually there must have been two episodes, as the Cars of the people one I saw was focused on VWs, Fiat 124s, etc, and there was an hour episode about the three guys having to traverse Viet Nam on Scooters. Be sure you get both if you can.

2012 SYM HD200 Evo
2006 R1200GS
1980 Vespa P200E
Dabears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 02:59 PM   #5
Eliter85
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 100
The Vietnam is definitely a favorite episode of Top Gear, I've watched it numerous time and it always inspires some kind of adventure.

Going to try to watch this new one tonight.
Old 09-02-2014, 05:34 PM   #6
mfd1719
Adventurer

Oddometer: 36
Watched both and love when the top gear guys get out of those cars and onto bikes. Looked like a blast was had in Vietnam!
mfd1719 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 07:49 PM   #7
Oldenuftaknowbetter OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabears View Post
Actually there must have been two episodes, as the Cars of the people one I saw was focused on VWs, Fiat 124s, etc, and there was an hour episode about the three guys having to traverse Viet Nam on Scooters. Be sure you get both if you can.
There've been 2 "cars of the people episodes" so far, the one with the VW, Fiat 124/Lada/Trabant, and the second with the Microcars (Isetta, Messerschmidt), Citroen 2CV/Renault 4, and Honda Cub. I'd like to see one on the Japanese Kei cars and, of course, the original "people's car"--the model T.

IMHO the 2 truest proponents of mass transport were Henry Ford and Soichiro Honda.

The Vietnam special was a classic for deflating Clarkson as well as hilariously depicting "minimalist" touring.
Oldenuftaknowbetter is online now   Reply With Quote