Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Battle scooters
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-21-2009, 06:31 PM   #46
hugemoth
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,618
Probably an adapter bracket from http://dratv.com . The top mounting hole on the Lifan engines is in the correct place but the back/bottom hole is too high by an inch or so. With a little grinding and drilling you can mount the Lifan engines without the adapter.

Q
hugemoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 06:42 PM   #47
hugemoth
Beastly Adventurer

I suggest rotating the handlebars back toward the rider to make the bike easier to handle. Setting them forward like that makes it rather weird to ride.

I mounted the carbs facing forward on the 110cc Lifan powered CT90s I built. Couldn't make the carbs fit into the original rear facing location. Also found that the engines run better with a bit of an intake runner rather than just a filter attached to the carb.

Nice looking CT.

Q

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinsteel
Time to revive this thread.

Here's pix of the 1969 Honda CT90 we just bought as an urban run-around for my wife. It's got a new Lifan 138 engine with oil cooler and manual tranny. The bike has been converted to operate kick-start only (no battery). The previous owner did a nearly complete restoration on it, with powder-coated frame and everything. It still needs some sorting, but runs really nice and is pretty punchy with the bigger engine.

My wife has already dropped it once and gashed her leg while learning to ride. Broke the brake lever is all, and there was a spare in the parts box that came with the bike. She was a bit shaken up, but after I fixed the brake lever, she bravely got back on the next day to try again and did great!

The shiny new motor showing the oil cooler and the carb mounted sideways for some reason (I may fix that).
Old 09-22-2009, 10:25 AM   #48
Twinsteel
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 464
Thx for the tips, huge!

I think I will rotate the carb to face forward. What do you use for an intake runner?

And I hear you on the handlebars. I noticed the weird handling and don't much like the looks with the bars raked forward like that.
Old 09-22-2009, 11:23 AM   #49
hugemoth
Beastly Adventurer

I used a couple 1.5" ABS 90 degree elbows from Lowes with a foam Unifilter mounted on the end. This gets the filter up under the extra gas tank I added, where the rain won't get to it. Picture attached.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinsteel
Thx for the tips, huge!

I think I will rotate the carb to face forward. What do you use for an intake runner?
Old 09-22-2009, 05:26 PM   #50
deezildennis
Its a what?

Oddometer: 763
Quote:
Originally Posted by hugemoth
Probably an adapter bracket from http://dratv.com . The top mounting hole on the Lifan engines is in the correct place but the back/bottom hole is too high by an inch or so. With a little grinding and drilling you can mount the Lifan engines without the adapter.

Q

I am not seeing the bracket. Do they show it on their site?
deezildennis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 05:38 PM   #51
hugemoth
Beastly Adventurer

http://dratv.com/adchtob.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by deezildennis
I am not seeing the bracket. Do they show it on their site?
Old 09-23-2009, 09:56 AM   #52
deezildennis
Its a what?

Thank you!
Old 09-23-2009, 12:46 PM   #53
Twinsteel
Gnarly Adventurer

Yep, that looks like exactly what's under my bike.
Old 09-23-2009, 02:45 PM   #54
lemieuxmc
Banned

Oddometer: 3,360
My brother and I used to try and bog down the old mans 67 CT 90 when we were teens. Did you know that you can bury one in mud all the way to the height of the air intake/exhaust outlet and it will still be spinning the wheel in compound low? Did you also know that it takes about 3 hours to get the mud off?

When I go dual sporting now there is always a lot of discussion over which bike is most capable... I just laugh.

The hills haven't changed since 1967 and the trails that are still there were most likely ridden by CT 90's back in the day. I swear... my old man and his posse rode trails that I could barely walk on.
lemieuxmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 05:14 PM   #55
hugemoth
Beastly Adventurer

Another big advantage of the CT90 is it's weight or lack thereof. When riding Central Oregon in early spring one often comes across large logs across the trails. When you can't go around your choice is to turn around or lift the bike over. Not too difficult with a CT but try that with a 350lb trail bike.

Riding the Old Barlow Road, part of the original Oregon Trail this spring we encountered a log across the trail. No possibility of going around it since one side was a near vertical wall and the other a near vertical cliff. The log was at least 6 feet in diameter. By turning the handlebars sideways we were able to drag the CT under the log. No other vehicle could get by it.

Q
Old 09-26-2009, 06:03 PM   #56
Twinsteel
Gnarly Adventurer

First mod to the new machine. I built a locking tail box out of a surplus ammo can. Actually, it's a military can originally used to house night-vision goggles, so it's more rectangular.

I used some aluminum rail called Incra T-Track that's intended to make jigs for woodworking purposes. The stuff is handy because the rail is built to accept a standard bolt head:

http://www.woodcraft.com/Family/2003...rack-Plus.aspx

Cut and attached the rail to the Honda's stock rear rack with sheet metal screws:

Then drilled the ammo can to accept the bolts, with knobs on the inside of the can that I got from a surplus hardware store:

Then I used a sliding window lock from a hardware store to secure the ammo can latch. The lock uses a key to move a simple deadbolt in and out; in the out position, it prevents the can's latch from being opened. I had to cut and bend the latch slightly:

The end result is pretty much tamper-proof storage that I can also slide on and off very easily when I don't want it on there:

Old 09-26-2009, 06:29 PM   #57
deezildennis
Its a what?

Well thats pretty damn cool!
Old 09-28-2009, 05:13 AM   #58
valentine
Adventurer

Oddometer: 27
Here's my 1970...

valentine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 07:07 AM   #59
DirtDriven
Not Cheap,Thrifty

Oddometer: 299
I just bought a 1970 model CT90 last night and looking forward to restoring it. I hope get a few pics up in the next few days. Anyone know a good source for reasonable priced parts?
Old 10-16-2009, 10:14 AM   #60
Twinsteel
Gnarly Adventurer

This guy is pretty much the online king of CT parts:

http://dratv.com/

And I see that he's currently running a sale!