Old 10-16-2009, 12:44 PM   #61
DirtDriven
Not Cheap,Thrifty

Oddometer: 299
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinsteel
This guy is pretty much the online king of CT parts:

http://dratv.com/

And I see that he's currently running a sale!
Thanks for the help. I picked up the bike as a winter project and would like to restore it as much as possible. I got it cheap so I could afford to put a little cash into it.
Old 11-27-2009, 08:16 PM   #62
BillyBlaze22
SLO Adventurer

Oddometer: 112
Heres a pic of the ride I'm blazin to TDF on

thesloway.com

I know the voices in my head arent real but they have some REALLY good ideas
BillyBlaze22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 08:17 PM   #63
BillyBlaze22
SLO Adventurer

Oddometer: 112
[IMG][/IMG]

thesloway.com

I know the voices in my head arent real but they have some REALLY good ideas
BillyBlaze22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 09:35 PM   #64
grizzzly
The Pre-Banned Version

Oddometer: 3,166
I had a 90 when I was 12 to about 16 years old it was a great bike and after I killed it I always kinda wanted another it just never happened. Well I just picked this up today (its going to be my “wife’s” new bike)

grizzzly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 03:31 PM   #65
Bladeforger
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 116
Gorgeous! I want one!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by grizzzly
I had a 90 when I was 12 to about 16 years old it was a great bike and after I killed it I always kinda wanted another it just never happened. Well I just picked this up today (its going to be my “wife’s” new bike)
"Obsolete doesn't mean a thing isn't any good--it just means they don't make it anymore" Von Dutch, May 1970
Bladeforger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 08:10 AM   #66
cheesebot
I cheesebot

Oddometer: 362
I thought I had posted these but I guess not, a '72 we picked up for fun stuff:

And the '67 with a random Chinese engine in it that goes really fast:

cheesebot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 08:17 PM   #67
Indy21
Adventurer

Oddometer: 63
I know I'm beating a dead horse that's probably been pummeled into the ground and flattened, but why the hell doesn't Honda re-introduce these in the states?

They still make them brand new and sell them in Australia.

I think they would sell really well as much as everyone over here tries to find oldies and restore them.

I would buy two!

C'mon Honda, PLEASE!
Indy21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 12:58 AM   #68
grizzzly
The Pre-Banned Version

Quote:
Originally Posted by ][ndy
I know I'm beating a dead horse that's probably been pummeled into the ground and flattened, but why the hell doesn't Honda re-introduce these in the states?

They still make them brand new and sell them in Australia.

I think they would sell really well as much as everyone over here tries to find oldies and restore them.

I would buy two!

C'mon Honda, PLEASE!
I found this but I cant find a price anywhere
CT110ag
http://hondampe.com.au/repository/motorcycles/products/off-road/agricultural/ct110ag/introduction.aspx

Old 12-23-2009, 03:52 AM   #69
Mr. Fisherman
Ray soon to be AWAY!

Oddometer: 10,495
Quote:
Originally Posted by grizzzly
That is because it is ony available in Austrailia...
Neat that it is now legal on the street as the 8 speed agricultural version had not bene able to be registered for street use but the 4 speed postie bikes were.
Mr. Fisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 06:05 AM   #70
Bladeforger
Gnarly Adventurer

Laugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by ][ndy
Here goes.

We won't whip ya too hard for this, because it is, indeed, a very good question... for which there is a very good answer:

Honda has a very smart, very savvy, excellent marketing department. They're good. And Peter Egan writes in Leanings:
Quote:
Through all those years of Honda ownership, the company--or maybe the old man himself--always seemed to know what I wanted next, before the thought was fully formed in my head. Or, more likely, Mr. Honda simply built what he knew was right, and his ideas made sense when I saw them. In any case, I always felt as if I had a friend in Japan, a kindred spirit who could interpret mechanically what I could not express.
I'm here, on this thread, because I drove past a scooter shop a month or so ago and saw a Sym Symba sitting out front. It was, I thought, an old Honda Passport in super-pristine condition. Nope, it was a Honda Passport just like they sell in other countries STILL today (but not in the US); made by the same company, Sym, that has made all of Honda's Passports for the last 40 years or so; badged in Sym's name.

I wanted one! I've always wanted one! But, as the Honda folks already knew before I did, I didn't want one enough to pay the $2,700 out the door price that was the best negotiation I could get in 10 minutes. I even thought briefly of selling my KLR650 to get one... but all I had to do to dispel that thought was wheel the KLR out from in front of the KLX, fire it up, and ride it about 30 miles. Nope, the KLR is a stayin'!

The bug had bitten me, and I thought, okay, I'll just find a good used one. Or something close. I let one a hundred miles away slide off into the ether for just under a grand, partially because the seller was using ebay for extra publicity and pulling the ads (he's a minor amateur dealer) to avoid ebay's successful auction fee. Dishonest in one thing, dishonest in other things.

I bought a Tomos rolling chassis to put in a Lifan clone, got it home, and realized that it 1) wasn't a Honda and 2) wasn't robust enough. It's disassembled, photographed, boxed up, and waiting for me to do a series of ebay ads.

Then I remembered that back in the day I had also wanted a Trail 90. The go-anywhere, do-anything, Super Burro. Research!!!

I bought a CT90 frame off ebay and am waiting for it to arrive. Then I'll build a sorta-original CT90 with a Lifan engine. Someday I might build a "real" CT90 or a CT110 with the original Honda engine. Meanwhile I'll jack around with the new build between now and mid-Summer and make up something that will be fun to slip around town on from home to store or home to work... and maybe haul to Key West to ride the streets there for a day or two. Anything past that in challenge, we'll have to see. Ocala is, after all, not terribly far away.

Meanwhile, would I spring for a brand-spanking-new CT110 from Honda? It's doubtful. I'd keep the KLR. And it's certain that Honda knows that. Now maybe, just maybe, if the Symbas start to outnumber the Vespas running around on the streets, the folks at Honda will have their noses in the air ready to catch the first whiff of smoke. Until then, don't hold your breath. I know it's frustrating, but more of our fellow citizens want big hawgs, cruisers, crotch rockets, and VW trikes than want a CT. At least that makes the used ones (and pieces of used ones) kinda halfway reasonable sorta...

Keith
"Obsolete doesn't mean a thing isn't any good--it just means they don't make it anymore" Von Dutch, May 1970
Old 12-23-2009, 08:40 AM   #71
grizzzly
The Pre-Banned Version

I am just curious how much they are selling for over there? in what ever type of money the use

Old 12-23-2009, 01:21 PM   #72
Indy21
Adventurer

Oddometer: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bladeforger
And it's certain that Honda knows that. Now maybe, just maybe, if the Symbas start to outnumber the Vespas running around on the streets, the folks at Honda will have their noses in the air ready to catch the first whiff of smoke. Until then, don't hold your breath. I know it's frustrating, but more of our fellow citizens want big hawgs, cruisers, crotch rockets, and VW trikes than want a CT. At least that makes the used ones (and pieces of used ones) kinda halfway reasonable sorta...

Keith
I agree. And the new Symbas do seem to be picking up in popularity or atleast that thread dedicated to them seems to gain a lot of attention. I hope they sell well and help Honda to recognize how well small bikes like that can sell these days.

*sigh*
Indy21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 10:45 PM   #73
Tesla314
>_<

Oddometer: 130
Very well said, Keith. Thanks for finding the words for what's been floating around in the back of my head.

Tesla314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 11:18 AM   #74
Twinsteel
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 464
Heads up: It looks like I'll be selling this little gem of a CT90 after all. In an earlier post on this thread I described how my wife and I bought it for her as a little urban commuter. Well, the manual shift gearbox and kick start turned out to be a bit much for her. She took a low-speed fall on the bike and cut her shin. Nothing serious, but it was enough to change her mind about riding a manual-everything machine routinely.

So it will be going up for sale in Sacramento, Calif., probably after the holidays. If anybody's interested now, just let me know!

Again, it's a 1969 CT90, restored by the previous owner with a brand-new Lifan 138 engine, manual shift 4-spd tranny and kick-start only (no battery), new everything, current CA street registration. Only damage from the fall was a broken brake lever, which I replaced. Runs great and is quite fast with the 138 motor. Lots more details if you're interested!

Old 12-24-2009, 11:55 PM   #75
Bladeforger
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinsteel
So it will be going up for sale in Sacramento, Calif., probably after the holidays.
Arrrrrrrrgh! You're killing me! You almost couldn't be farther away from the Suncoast of Florida, but it looks like, as you said, a gem. Good luck... somebody here much closer to you will snap that one up fast, most likely.