Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-09-2010, 09:24 AM   #106
Ricklesss
Ricklesssssssss

Oddometer: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodsrat
Dunno if it's available from Honda but Dr. ATV has 'em. The hard thing to find is the hanger bracket for the 90/110's. eBay has 'em all the time but they bring big bucks.

Acerbis makes a fork tank in two sizes that could be adapted in a similar fashion to the CT's auxillary tank. The nice part is that they're plastic, eliminating the rust factor.

Those Acerbis auxillary tanks are worthless for holding fuel.
They should only be used for water, or perhaps, motor oil.
I went through 3 in quick succession a few years ago. Was filling them with straight unleaded. Maybe it had ethenol mixed, I don't know, but they all quickly were eaten out.
Acerbis replaced them all for me which was nice, but eventually told me that fuel just does that...
Kind of a bummer, as it's a great idea.
I now use modified MSR stove fuel containers. (Spun aluminum)
RicklesssssssssS in Oregon

"And no matter what, what ever you do, NEVER chase camels faster than your guardian angel can fly...
Ricklesss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 08:02 PM   #107
mac66
Quasi Adventurer

Oddometer: 240
The good thing about CT90s is that they are pretty readily available pretty cheap. I bought my two for less than $600/ea. Both were mostly restored. On the other hand having a 35-40 year old bike requires that one takes care of it. I am just in the process of refurbishing my old '69 with tires, tubes, shocks, fork tube springs, spark plug, new stainless engine bolts, oil change, new air filter element, some other minor replacement of small parts. Tab is about $200 so far.

Going to look at three more this weekend. The guy wants to sell them all and won't separate. I only want one but am going to have to buy them all and then resell the other two. Fortunately I pretty much have my brother talked into buying one. Only one is running (the one I want) but they are not hard to get running for the most part.
3/CT90s
Honda Spree
mac66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 05:38 AM   #108
Coopdway
Curiouser

Oddometer: 696
My wife and daughter are headed to Ann Arbor this weekend but I can't go; too bad for me.
-----------------------------
Coop's Corner
Coopdway is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 12:35 PM   #109
PinkSteel
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 205
This one's the pride of my fleet...

PinkSteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 12:51 PM   #110
LandPirateMBC
Full blown child

Oddometer: 163
I've noticed lots of people making the lifan transition. I've been considering doing it myself. Can any of you tell me some pros/cons for doing it? Difficulty? Cost? I'd love to get a little more speed out of my bike but not at the cost of dependability.
LandPirateMBC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 03:48 PM   #111
hugemoth
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,750
As far as installation - definitely not a job for someone who is not mechanically inclined. It requires drilling, grinding, welding (exhaust and foot pegs), wiring, and plumbing skills. A weekend job if you have a garage and the proper tools.

Dependability is better than with the original engine. Cost will vary but I didn't really have to buy anything but the engines from Hoopers since they come with carbs, electronics, etc.. $200 each at the time. I did go with larger countershaft sprockets, about $15 each.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LandPirateMBC
I've noticed lots of people making the lifan transition. I've been considering doing it myself. Can any of you tell me some pros/cons for doing it? Difficulty? Cost? I'd love to get a little more speed out of my bike but not at the cost of dependability.
hugemoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 08:42 PM   #112
LandPirateMBC
Full blown child

Which size engine did you use? I was considering the 110, Will it fit in a honda cub 50 as well?
Old 03-30-2010, 06:13 AM   #113
hugemoth
Beastly Adventurer

I used the 110cc manual clutch models. Don't know about the Cub 50.

Quote:
Which size engine did you use? I was considering the 110, Will it fit in a honda cub 50 as well?
Old 03-30-2010, 04:10 PM   #114
LandPirateMBC
Full blown child

last question i swear, Do you have a link for where you purchased the engine? I wanna be sure to get the right one.

Thanks a ton
Old 03-30-2010, 08:37 PM   #115
hugemoth
Beastly Adventurer

http://www.hooperimports.com/

Quote:
last question i swear, Do you have a link for where you purchased the engine? I wanna be sure to get the right one.

Thanks a ton
Old 03-31-2010, 12:40 PM   #116
YamaGeek
Ancient trailbike padwan

Oddometer: 6,045
Quote:
Hugemoth's advice is worth following, I'm probably considered a fairly "advanced" mechanic, and the Lifan conversion to my old Yamaha isn't something I'd be recommending to anyone. I had to weld together a custom adapter to get the engine to fit the bike as the old Yamaha was wider and had 3 engine bolts, where the Lifan used only two.

The Cub 50 will probably take the Lifan engine with a small amount of mechanical conversion work. The carb mount and the exhaust will possibly be your biggest jobs. I'd be prepared to have access to some metal working tools and such so the engine fits the mounts with no slop. A selection of various washers and shims to help set the chain alignment might be a good thing too.

Just keep in mind that the conversion also requires a pretty knowledgable skill set for rebuilding the electrical system. I'd go with the 12 volt Lifan engines as the C100 Cub uses headlight bulbs that are easily found in either 6 or 12 volt. The tail light is a standard 1155 style bayonet two filament bulb used in older cars.

YamaGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 02:47 PM   #117
LandPirateMBC
Full blown child

Got the parts and i'm starting tomorrow. Got the 110cc Manual clutch 12v lifan. With the help of some service manuals and a friend I think it's going to go smoothly. Hardest part will be the re-wiring for the 12v conversion.
Old 04-03-2010, 11:27 AM   #118
YamaGeek
Ancient trailbike padwan

Oddometer: 6,045
Quote:
Got the parts and i'm starting tomorrow. Got the 110cc Manual clutch 12v lifan. With the help of some service manuals and a friend I think it's going to go smoothly. Hardest part will be the re-wiring for the 12v conversion.
Pick up a lot of heat shrink tubing, extra fine multi strand, 16 to 14 gauge, multi colored insulator wire, and male and female solderable bullet connectors and a few female spade connectors. And I'd try to use as much of the original harness as possible.

There's going to be many differences in insulator color and the voltages in the wires out from the Lifan compared to the Honda. You'll also need the special CDI connector plug. Make a printed copy of the wires in and out of the CDI plug image Hooper's has on his website, and keep it handy.

I think Larry at Hooper's has wiring harnesses that has this plug already in it. They're as good a source of extra connectors and wiring as you'll probably find in an automotive electrical supply store. Just remember to double check all of your connectors and splices for continuity, especially the crimped connectors of the wiring harness from Hooper's

YamaGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 10:23 PM   #119
robertjludwigsr
Adventurer

Oddometer: 89
lifan engine

Dratv.com has adapters for mounting the lifan engine. ct90 engines are pretty damn dependable and easy to keep running . Mine has over 5k on it and never been rebuilt starts on first or second kick. It was sitting in a wet basement for 20 plus years, rebuilt the carb, cleaned tank , cleaned all the electricial connections, replace the battery and rectifier points, condenser, adjusted valves set timing and it runs great. Ct90 engines are on ebay fairly often and prices are reasonable. Lifan obviously has more hp but only 4 gears vs 8 for the ct. Solid state ignition is nice but points work well to and points fail over time solid state goes all at once with little to no warning . Points can easily be replaced on the trail dont know about solid state something to think about.
robertjludwigsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 03:02 PM   #120
snakebit
growing old disgracefully

Oddometer: 1,056
new 110

I just got off the phone with a buddy of mine who has a ct110 sitting in his barn. I'm picking it up Thursday. It's been a while since I've seen it but I remember Tractor Supply head and taillight and some other "creative" modifications. Should be a good project and it will look good in the stable with the 86 NX250, the 78 CT90 and the 81 C70. These things are a disease.
snakebit is offline   Reply With Quote