Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-26-2008, 02:56 PM   #46
ganshert
not sleeping

Oddometer: 8,007
Quote:
Originally Posted by gefr
To shortcut the rear brake sensor, the existing ABS switch could be used instead of using the flash switch. Cheers.
Using the stock switch sucks.

When riding in dirt you have to remember to deactivate the ABS every time you shut the bike off. If you forget then you have to stop and do it. So if for instance you stall the bike in an awkward position then you need yet another hand to turn the @#$%ing ABS back off and if you forget it will soon remind you on the next descent as you won't have any brakes.

With the flash switch mod you can deactivate the ABS any time moving or not and you don't need to move your hand off the bars to do it.

I've had mine disabled since last June and haven't missed it. So I've got it on my winter maintenance list to remove the ABS completely. IMHO that's 15 pounds worth of shit I don't need on a dirtbike.
ganshert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 02:57 PM   #47
helsingland
Adventurer

Oddometer: 19
The easy way 2 minute ABS mod.

Just take out the ABS 40 amp. fuse down at the right side of the motor, it is behinde the plastic skidplate. there is two fuses there and one is 40 amps. I have done it on my -07 for the winter season and there is no trouble with f1 lamps or speedometer. it takes two minutes to put it back. I have test ride it for a couple times now and havent notice any problems.

By helsingland,
helsingland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 03:35 PM   #48
Helmet Head
Have bike, will travel...

Oddometer: 455
Restart or hit starter?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgmax
To turn the ABS back on just flip the switch back to ON and restart the bike.
Do you need to actually turn the bike off and restart, or can you hit the starter? On my old BMW Dakar, all you needed to do was hit the starter switch for a sec (with the bike in neutral or the clutch pulled in) and the ABS would kick back on. Something about reinitializing, start-up sequence, blah blah (Vehicle computers are not my mechanical forte...).
Helmet Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 05:40 PM   #49
Nowwhat
I'll Go Second...

Oddometer: 4,485
I was sitting on a 990 ADV at the Int'l Motorcycle show in Long Beach while the KTM rep was talking to the guy sitting on the 990 ADV next to me....the customer asked about the ABS in the dirt and the KTM rep said to just leave it on all the time....

I never even made eye contact with the rep...I just turned to the customer and said..."This guy is going to get you killed"......then I got up and went over to another booth....sheesh....
Nowwhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 07:00 PM   #50
KTM Pilot
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 425
Talking Works a treat

Tested my 'flasher button' activated version on the weekend.
I should have done this 12 months ago - perfect!

As I left the bitumen and hit the dirt at around 70km/h, I simply flicked the button (no taking hands off bars - or worse stopping), and the ABS light illuminates.

Later on restart its reset (how I want it). If I ever do forget to cancel when off road it's only going to take 1/2 second to cancel again.

Very happy
Old 02-09-2009, 05:03 AM   #51
KTM Pilot
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 425
But...

I don't ride much at night, noticed a few weeks ago - no high beam!
So it turns out that the flasher button is wired to the high beam wire.

I really liked the flasher button functionality, so will rewire a separate wire to have it work the way I like - 'with' high beam enabled
Old 11-05-2009, 03:49 PM   #52
SSrider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 117
Starter reactivation.

The Answer to the starter reactivation question is YES. I did 3 times last week. Riding at 70mph, pull the clutch in and tap the starter button and the abs reactivates instantly. Worked every time. Thanks to all you guys for the info. Rode with the ABS on in the dirt and the only thing more dangerous would be to drain all the oil out of your brakes and do 60 on a twisty dirt road while shooting yourself in the skull with a glock while trying to reason with your ex wife all at the same time.

Bought my switch today. :) Thanks again

KTM 990
KTM 640
KTM 520
KTM 380
KAW klx650
Honda xr75
Honda trail 50
SSrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 08:46 AM   #53
pigstain
Out of Control

Oddometer: 322
Which switch to use to do this mod? I thought a micro momentary switch mounted in the left handlebar switch pod would be perfect. But since I'm not electrically minded I'm hoping someone can post a link to a good switch. I was looking at one of these:

http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...ductId=2062540

I don't think it's waterproof but would that matter? Does it need to be normally open or normally closed? And does the wiring from this switch just tap into the rear abs sensor wiring or do I run the wiring from the rear abs sensor to the new switch then back to the abs harness?
As you see I'm a bit dim in the electricals!!!

2005 Honda CRF450X plated
pigstain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 06:37 AM   #54
Englishmatt
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 523
swithc type

Bump on the type of switch. I really like the idea of the instant switch (not rocker) since we now know we can reactivate it all on the fly with a quick clutch pull and hit the starter.

This is an excellent thread...thanks to all you guys for you time and reports.

Can you guys please post a link to some suggested buttons...

Matt.

"I can't lead, I go too fast..." Scott Hinkle, 4/2010
Englishmatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 07:08 AM   #55
dlrides
1:1.618

Oddometer: 5,206
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triwi
Does anyone else share my irritation with the switchable ABS? Changing from seal to dirt I prefer to switch off the ABS -
  • If I wish to stabilise the bike when entering, say, thick gravel a dab of the rear brake produces nothing, as the ABS lets go, at exactly the point I most need it.
  • Say I enter a steep blind downhill hairpin having forgotten to de activate, there is again only freewheeling available at precisely the moment the way is blocked with an uphill SUV.
  • So, I stop engine to regroup, ABS defaults on, start up again, 4 sec delay to switch off then catch up to my mates who have also stopped because they thought I had a problem . So I turn off to explain the prob then wait 4 seconds as they take off. So they slow down........... You get the picture
  • Trying to switch off when fully laden with bike not level, holding the awkward switch while reaching over the tankbag for 4 seconds, at the same time stopping bike moving without touching the brakes, can be quite interestng, especially if your pillion moves just at that moment.
Which brings me to my point. Has anybody any advice as to how the ABS system could be modified so that a simple one push button on the bars would deactivate the system, on the fly. I dont mind the default to on when motor starts but it would be nice to switch off without the stop and wait routine each time.
Thoughts?
cheers
Triwi

Depends on what type of oil you are using !

Old 12-02-2009, 07:37 AM   #56
HWSNBN
Banned

Oddometer: 2,897
have recently given thought to updating my 950 to the 990. The lack of "traction control" option on the 990 has forced me to seriously consider another bike.

During throttle application while exiting a turn on gravel surfaces, the rear of the 950 has a tendency to spin uncontrollably and not track in a straight line ! This seems very unsafe and potentially dangerous for an average rider. Given the modern electronics on a 990, it seems KTM could have easily made this option available ! I have two questions for the Orange Crush techno gurus.

1) Do you think traction control would benefit the rider ?

2) Is it possible to design and install "traction control" on a 990 ?
HWSNBN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 09:03 AM   #57
viatormundi
Citizen of the world

Oddometer: 644
Quote:
Originally Posted by HWSNBN
have recently given thought to updating my 950 to the 990. The lack of "traction control" option on the 990 has forced me to seriously consider another bike.

During throttle application while exiting a turn on gravel surfaces, the rear of the 950 has a tendency to spin uncontrollably and not track in a straight line ! This seems very unsafe and potentially dangerous for an average rider. Given the modern electronics on a 990, it seems KTM could have easily made this option available ! I have two questions for the Orange Crush techno gurus.

I would suggest that you look into 1200GS from BMW if you want to have the traction control. I personally believe that the traction control would make gravel riding less fun and hope KTM won't implement it to 990 in the future.
viatormundi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 09:22 AM   #58
Bronco3738
Mike

Oddometer: 496
Quote:

NO more electronic gizmos to make up for your lack of skill/common sense. The only reason it tracks uncontrollably is because you are doing it wrong. You are giving it too much gas too suddenly. Let off, and roll on the gas and feel for traction. It's not a switch (on/off), it's more of a reostat. You dial in the amount of power you want/ tires can handle. Your brain is the traction control controling you wrist. Like viatormundi said look into a GS 1200, or a Honda Civic.
Bronco3738 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 01:14 PM   #59
HWSNBN
Banned

Oddometer: 2,897
No offense taken, but alas, the 990 seems to be the new TRUE adventure rider's choice. Seems only practical that it be outfitted with all the latest technology available to make it as easy to ride, and safe as possible. I have a friend that is an electrical engineer/designer, that is going to investigate the feasibility for me. I was hoping someone had performed this modification, and could offer some insight.
HWSNBN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 01:40 PM   #60
viatormundi
Citizen of the world

Oddometer: 644
Quote:
No offense taken, but alas, the 990 seems to be the new TRUE adventure rider's choice. Seems only practical that it be outfitted with all the latest technology available to make it as easy to ride, and safe as possible. I have a friend that is an electrical engineer/designer, that is going to investigate the feasibility for me. I was hoping someone had performed this modification, and could offer some insight.
I would say, a TRUE adventure rider would prefer a low technology, not necessarily easy to ride but fun, reliable and versatile bike alas KTM 990 Adv :-)

But I am sure when the global economy recovers, KTM will release a 1190 Adventure version more suited for asphalt adventure touring and that bike most probably will have more technological gizmoz like BMWs because KTM wants to expand its customer base to 1200GS buyers.
viatormundi is offline   Reply With Quote