Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-04-2012, 01:05 AM   #91
thisflatearth
Pro-Commuter

Oddometer: 933
Well I will just keep changing the oil and figure out how to clean the rust off the muffler and paint it without removing it from the bike. Keep meaning to order a belt so I wont be 6-100 weeks on back order.

I guess as long as I remember to put super unleaded in it it'll stay healthy. That was a brain fart that lasted about 3 months. Some new plugs and some octanc booster figured that all out.

Guess I will make an order of parts that I may need seeing as how they may be on back order when I am done paying off my house.
thisflatearth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 06:11 AM   #92
McUly
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Hi guys, Iv'e got an '06 Uly with an '07 registration. I also have been worried about this crank bearing problem. I was wondering if any one had success with an additive like slick 50, or does anyone recommend an additive for this engine.
Also is there a list of engine numbers of the dodgy engines. Thanks.
McUly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 08:36 AM   #93
Hughlysses
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,137
Quote:
Originally Posted by McUly View Post
Hi guys, Iv'e got an '06 Uly with an '07 registration. I also have been worried about this crank bearing problem. I was wondering if any one had success with an additive like slick 50, or does anyone recommend an additive for this engine.
Also is there a list of engine numbers of the dodgy engines. Thanks.
IMHO, the lubrication has very little to do with it. From what's been said by EBR, there were just a bad batch of cranks in 2007. I'd guess it was a hardening or surface finish problem with the crank pin or roller bearings.

About the only preventative measure you could do would be to regularly send your oil off for Used Oil Analyses (UOAs) to a place like Blackstone Labs or Amsoil. Hopefully the problem would show up before it became catastrophic. Even if you do figure it out, you're still going to have to replace or rebuild the crank to correct it. You may just prevent some incidental damage like I had (badly scored cylinders and pistons) by fixing the problem before it gets that far.

There's an older thread on the subject on Badweb listing build dates and VINs for both failed and OK cranks, but it doesn't seem to indicate any clear patterns. Here's a link to the thread:

http://www.badweatherbikers.com/buel...38/648773.html
Old 02-08-2012, 08:25 AM   #94
Callawegian
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
06 Ully

bigflatearth, I had the same problem with the muffler on my 06. I fixed it with some stove and bar-b-que paint. I don't understand why the rust so quickly. I had a 03 Lightning with 14K on it and it had no rust. In 2010 I bought the 06 with 2.4K on it and it was rusting profusely. Last winter I removed the muffler from the header and I preformed a little surgery on it. I opened up the top of it with an air powered cut-off wheel, removed the internal butterfly valve, welded a cover plate back on and covered in flat black stove paint. Now it has the V-twin rumble at idle, but I don't need earplugs when I ride it. I have almost 2 miles of gravel to ride before I get to pavement and no signs of rust yet with 5k of riding in the last year. I hope this helps.
Callawegian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 07:25 AM   #95
Rob in VA
Go Navy!

Oddometer: 57
Well, I am glad I read this thread! Looking at an '07 Ulysses for sale in my neighborhood with 11000 miles. Should I be scared? I am not a mechanic!
rob
Old 02-12-2012, 10:03 AM   #96
BigEasy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,595
Buy it, ride it, forget about most of these problems. This thread is 4 years old and only 7 pages of posts. While they aren't Honda's, they're pretty damn reliable but will have a couple of issues on occasion. Take a look at Badweb for more warm fuzzy's.

Go Navy:

"Play hard and FLOOR IT" Stevie Ray Vaughan

just remember: the only difference between genius and stupidity is genius has limits
BigEasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 01:52 PM   #97
wbedient
MoTard

Oddometer: 1,183
Quote:
Originally Posted by Callawegian View Post
bigflatearth, I had the same problem with the muffler on my 06. I fixed it with some stove and bar-b-que paint.
Send your pipe off to the boys at KD Fabrications and when you get your drummer back it'll have fresh paint that doesn't have the rust problem. Plus your bike will have more balls and a bad a$$ THUMP.

I live in the desert but ride in plenty of rain and have no rust since 2009.

2008 KTM 690 Enduro
My Videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/wbedient#g/u
wbedient is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 04:27 PM   #98
Rob in VA
Go Navy!

Oddometer: 57
I gave it a quick test ride this afternoon and was rather impressed. Felt like a motorcross bike, kind of. Felt kind of like my KLR but obviously with way more power. It was nothing like my Wee. Far more fun than my BMW r1150rt. It was 38 degrees out and I was not dressed for the ride so it was a short spin...
Old 02-13-2012, 07:58 AM   #99
Callawegian
Adventurer

Exhaust

I would have liked to have gone with the Drummer, but I tried the Uly with the valve tied open for a few months and enjoyed the way it sounded. I did the muffler mods on company time, so all it cost me was the paint and a piece of metal to cover up the top of the muffler.
Old 02-13-2012, 08:09 AM   #100
Lornce
Lost In Place

Oddometer: 17,341
Quote:
I would have liked to have gone with the Drummer, but I tried the Uly with the valve tied open for a few months and enjoyed the way it sounded. I did the muffler mods on company time, so all it cost me was the paint and a piece of metal to cover up the top of the muffler.
I like the sound of this. No pun intended.

How did removing the exhaust valve effect the feel of the motor at lower rpms?
Any discernable difference?

Lornce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 10:29 AM   #101
Callawegian
Adventurer

Exhaust Note.

My 06 has cable operated valve in the exhaust. Remove the air cleaner cover and twist the throttle, you will be able to see this in action. Grab the end of the cable and pull on it to hold the exhaust valve open. I used some large clamp on fishing sinkers to keep the valve open. I think I used 3 of them. You might put a cover over the intake to the fuel injection system in case you are club fingered like I am. Fire up your Uly and this is pretty close to what I came up with. Some people have used dual exhaust tips in their conversions, I wanted mine to appear stock. I rode mine for about 4 months with the sinkers holding the valve open. I hope this helped you out.
Old 02-13-2012, 01:06 PM   #102
Lornce
Lost In Place

Oddometer: 17,341
Thanks. How did that effect the operation of the bike at lower rpms?

Did you notice any discernable difference, apart from sound?

Lornce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 07:07 PM   #103
BruCes POinT
One Of GOD'Z cLOwN'Z

Oddometer: 53
Quote:
My 07 Came with an XB9 Muffler on it, PO said he liked the Sound Better.
Having Never Heard one with the Stock Muffler, I have No way of Comparing, But Sounds Great Too Me!
I Have the Stock Muff, but it Runs So Well, I Do Not want to Mess with it, PO Tuned it via PC, & I have NO Complaints!
Bottom End I've Noticed NO Lack of, Have done Quite a bit of Dirt road Trackkin, some trails, Perfect response, truly could Not ask for better.
Before I Screw With Anything, I'm going to Image the Computer, So I can Replicate right where it's at.
If Lornce, or Anybody Else with a Uly gets up this Way, I'd Love to Compare, Only Uly in NW Ontario, not Much to Compare it Against, but Kept up with Everything at the NW Ontario Rally, Played Well with the KTM 950's, Better than Held its Own.
Ain't Broke, Don~ Fix it!
b.
"Too Old
To Die Young"

BruCes POinT screwed with this post 02-15-2012 at 01:59 AM Reason: Clarity
BruCes POinT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 08:44 AM   #104
Callawegian
Adventurer

Exhaust

It coughs and sputters a little in the first mile or so of riding as it warms up and clears its throat. Then it is fine for the rest of the day.
Old 02-14-2012, 08:26 PM   #105
Florida Lime
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lornce View Post
Thanks. How did that effect the operation of the bike at lower rpms?

Did you notice any discernable difference, apart from sound?

I had the (pre-updated) servo go, and wired it open temporarily. Killed the bottom end for me, but some people didn't have the same issue with theirs.
'08 Ducati Hypermotard 1100S -- Going, still for sale.
Florida Lime is online now   Reply With Quote