Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-19-2015, 02:45 PM   #1
Dirt Doctor OP
Geographicallyembarrassed

Oddometer: 1,130
Written-off Vehicle (Motorcycle) in NSW

Anyone has any experience with the new laws in NSW

Under the new act you are allowed to apply for an authorisation to repair under a few conditions;

you inherited the vehicle,
you were the previous owner,
registered for motorsport

Bought a mates 950 SE that got written off because it has a small mark on the frame. Bought it for spare parts but if I can re-register it I will
2001 KTM 400 EXC Motard
1989 U1700 Unimog Doka-The ultimate support vehicle
Dirt Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 04:15 PM   #2
JohnG.
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,225
A mate, got another mates near new Guzzi Sport 1200 for $4k
... was only cosmetic damage so easy enough.
Fill out forms... jump through hoops, I guess... Goodluck
http://www.rms.nsw.gov.au/roads/regi...itten-off.html

JohnG. screwed with this post 04-19-2015 at 04:26 PM
JohnG. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 04:26 PM   #3
HPBRP
n00b

Oddometer: 5
If it's a stat write off then no go, but if it's a repairable write off then all good
HPBRP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 05:11 PM   #4
slowbike smallpenis
Tester of Tooheys Old

Oddometer: 19,716
Go on the RMS web site and check the numbers - if it comes up as Stat - no matter what you do it aint going to happen ....

Repairable, yes, but it may be noted on the registration papers that its been repaired.
Old 04-19-2015, 05:43 PM   #5
OzOldrider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 276
Unless rules have changed recently NSW will not register a repairable write off but you can get it resisted in Vic if you go through ropes and have friend who's name you can register it in, once you have it registered again you buy it back of your mate and then hope NSW will register it. Took me 2 goes and a few phone calls but can be done.

2013 GS1200LC
KLR650 gone WR250 gone, plus many more gone.
OzOldrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 05:46 PM   #6
dirty dennis
are we there yet

Oddometer: 2,497
As of Feburary last year all write offs in NSWare stat.write off , the vin is cancelled & cannot be re registered. The only exemption is vehicles over 15years old are not on the Written Off Vehicle Register (WOVR) If its on WOVR its parts only This also means "repairable write offs "purchased in other states are considered Stat write offs & NSW wont rego them.
Was that the 950 at Pickles in Dubbo? thought about that one myself

7th Day Adventourist & Yassdasafarian
dirty dennis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 06:34 PM   #7
Precis
Maladroit malcontent

Oddometer: 3,697
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzOldrider View Post
Unless rules have changed recently NSW will not register a repairable write off but you can get it resisted in Vic if you go through ropes and have friend who's name you can register it in, once you have it registered again you buy it back of your mate and then hope NSW will register it. Took me 2 goes and a few phone calls but can be done.
I've done several bikes like this - at least 8; once you have a roadworthy, you have to apply for an appointment to have a VIV inspection: Vehicle Identity Verification. It costs $485 and IMHO is essentially a tax.
The VIV is often conducted by people who know nothing about and cannot ride motorcycles. They will insist on seeing before-repair pictures of the bike and will want the originals of receipts of the parts your bought to repair the bike.
As an experiment, I included receipts in a variety of languages. Some were for dishwasher parts I'd got from Germany. All the paperwork came back dutifully stamped (so you can't use the same receipts lots of times, I guess). When called to collect it, the bike had not moved one inch from where I'd parked it.
Armed with the roadworthy and the VIV certificate, you can then apply for a registration appointment: Just the RWC, VIV and Rego can easily run you over $1300, assuming all goes according to plan, not including the time involved in hauling the bike often a long way to get it inspected; is it worthwhile? For my DRZ it was border-line, when factoring in purchase price, cost of repairs & paperwork against market value.
Whether the VIV serves any real purpose, is just another tax or is a sickener put in place to discourage people from repairing cars & bikes, I have no idea.
Old 04-19-2015, 06:47 PM   #8
OldDog
aka Hugh Jarse

Oddometer: 4,683
Interesting, this begs the question of what happens if I buy a "repaired" bike from Victoria, unaware that it has been repaired, then try and get it registered in NSW. Do they knock it back and leave me carrying the can for unregisterable bike? Could be a trap for young players in that.
OldDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 07:05 PM   #9
JohnG.
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,225
I think its still possible...
http://www.rms.nsw.gov.au/roads/regi...pairabledamage
Old 04-19-2015, 08:10 PM   #10
OzOldrider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 276
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnG. View Post
They don't really tell you there from what I could see, but I have done it as I said. The first time I tried the said know as vin came up with a red flag I think anyway 12 months later I made some phone calls to RMS and the vin department with the police I think it was and he checked the vin saw what had happened with the bike and removed the red flag in the system and presto I got NSW rego.

Most likely wouldn't do it again unless there was going to be a huge saving.

2013 GS1200LC
KLR650 gone WR250 gone, plus many more gone.
OzOldrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 08:15 PM   #11
farqhuar
Lone Wolf

Oddometer: 1,213
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDog View Post
Interesting, this begs the question of what happens if I buy a "repaired" bike from Victoria, unaware that it has been repaired, then try and get it registered in NSW. Do they knock it back and leave me carrying the can for unregisterable bike? Could be a trap for young players in that.
Basically yep. A few years back I purchased a bike in NSW that was registered in NSW but apparently on the national WOVR. It didn't state this on the rego papers and I was none the wiser until I tried to register the bike in Vic. VicRoads would not register the bike without me going through the VIV process again in Vic - even though it had been previously VIVed in NSW, VicRoads would not recognise the NSW approval and required it to be done again locally.
farqhuar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 08:31 PM   #12
dirty dennis
are we there yet

Oddometer: 2,497
Quote:
Originally Posted by Precis View Post
I've done several bikes like this - at least 8; once you have a roadworthy, you have to apply for an appointment to have a VIV inspection: Vehicle Identity Verification. It costs $485 and IMHO is essentially a tax.
The VIV is often conducted by people who know nothing about and cannot ride motorcycles. They will insist on seeing before-repair pictures of the bike and will want the originals of receipts of the parts your bought to repair the bike.
As an experiment, I included receipts in a variety of languages. Some were for dishwasher parts I'd got from Germany. All the paperwork came back dutifully stamped (so you can't use the same receipts lots of times, I guess). When called to collect it, the bike had not moved one inch from where I'd parked it.
Armed with the roadworthy and the VIV certificate, you can then apply for a registration appointment: Just the RWC, VIV and Rego can easily run you over $1300, assuming all goes according to plan, not including the time involved in hauling the bike often a long way to get it inspected; is it worthwhile? For my DRZ it was border-line, when factoring in purchase price, cost of repairs & paperwork against market value.
Whether the VIV serves any real purpose, is just another tax or is a sickener put in place to discourage people from repairing cars & bikes, I have no idea.
Vic are different to NSW. You still have repairable write offs, NSW does not. As far as the RMS are concerned any type of write off since last year is VIN cancelled, never to be re- regoed in NSW Unless the vehicle is over 15yrs old & not on the WOVR

7th Day Adventourist & Yassdasafarian
dirty dennis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 11:23 PM   #13
Pezz_gs
Cant ride for crap

Oddometer: 3,801
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirty dennis View Post
Vic are different to NSW. You still have repairable write offs, NSW does not. As far as the RMS are concerned any type of write off since last year is VIN cancelled, never to be re- regoed in NSW Unless the vehicle is over 15yrs old & not on the WOVR
I seem to recall a fellow who had a Write-off, he then modified the frame, got the modified frame engineered and a new VIN issued for it, then registered it.

Its a bit of a lottery, bit like UVP's

Pezz_gs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 11:35 PM   #14
Precis
Maladroit malcontent

Oddometer: 3,697
Quote:
Originally Posted by farqhuar View Post
Basically yep. A few years back I purchased a bike in NSW that was registered in NSW but apparently on the national WOVR. It didn't state this on the rego papers and I was none the wiser until I tried to register the bike in Vic. VicRoads would not register the bike without me going through the VIV process again in Vic - even though it had been previously VIVed in NSW, VicRoads would not recognise the NSW approval and required it to be done again locally.
Thereby confirming that it's just a money-making racket...
You'd think that if a bike was registered in one state and had a valid roadworthy from its new home state, it'd be plain sailing - especially as it wasn't also changing hands.

Some bike shops fear that the VIV is effectively also an audit of bike roadworthy centres - but given the almost total ignorance of motorcycles among VIV-certified centres, I personally doubt this.
In fact, the last bike which I rebuilt (my DRz), the car-garage that I took it to, grumbled about having to do the VIV, as he "only" gets the $150-odd I paid him: VicRoads keeps the balance, about $335.
$150 in under two hours for looking at some pictures, stamping some forms and (maybe) peering at some engine & frame numbers sounds like a pretty sweet deal to me: I could do that five times in a day...
Old 04-20-2015, 02:24 AM   #15
sb_250y
Safari Finisher 2011

Oddometer: 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Doctor View Post
Anyone has any experience with the new laws in NSW

Under the new act you are allowed to apply for an authorisation to repair under a few conditions;

you inherited the vehicle,
you were the previous owner,
registered for motorsport

Bought a mates 950 SE that got written off because it has a small mark on the frame. Bought it for spare parts but if I can re-register it I will
He should have bought it, repaired and rego'd it and sold it to you. At least on paper anyway.

Since I know who owned it suprised he let it go.
11 ZX14
70 R5 + 73 RD350
sb_250y is offline   Reply With Quote