User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-07-2015, 04:28 PM   #1
sidetrack one OP
Boss STAG

Oddometer: 5,418
The "Support tHE tREV Racing" thread

OK, we are having a bit of a laugh and fun over in the "other" thread, but underneath it all I see an ADV brother who could do with a hand!
I dont know tREV personally, but I enjoy his contributions to this forum immensely, and would like to help him out in his dream of doing Hattah and Finke
He has a yearning no less worthy than doing Dakar, and I have supported Aussies in that in recent years,we all start somewhere!
My racing days are long gone, but I also had the drive once, and financial considerations were a part of not achieving more than I did
So, to you tREV,if you are serious about your racing and enter either or both events, I will support you to the cost of one tyre,either end,for each event!
But I'm NOT buying you a race pipe!!
This is a genuine,serious offer of support,so step it up!!
sidetrack one is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 04:45 PM   #2
philth
philth

Oddometer: 6,195
I'll chuck a hundred bucks in
but trev would need to come up with a thread that rivalled the pgf one
Old 02-07-2015, 04:57 PM   #3
tHEtREV
Captain Awesome

Oddometer: 7,667
Thanks guys but I have always hated the "give this person money for stuff that most people do out of there own pocket" threads.

If I was going to Dakar or I was a worthy person I wouldn't mind, but I'm just doing a couple of almost local races that will only cost a couple of grand and I am well and truly on track to achieve getting there.

I'm just making a few sacrifices to get there which is what most people do to get there anyway.

But thanks for the thought.

(Oh and I did say worthy people are acceptable for those types of threads, so the young lady who had an accident and has on going injury (Mel?) who someone organised a "charity" ride for and anyone going to Dakar are worthy people in my eyes.)

(I could start another bandwidth wasting thread on getting there, but I think I have started enough pointless threads for the year already)

A KDX is way cooler than what ever you ride...
tHEtREV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 05:12 PM   #4
DRjoe
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,092
Is there another any way we can help get you to at least one of these races?
Maybe constant nagging about bike prep and training or we could all take turns on taking you on training exercises.

Bob and I are trying to do weekly rides up the beach to get some fitness back and get used to sand again.
You should come and join us on a few.
DRjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 06:14 PM   #5
tHEtREV
Captain Awesome

Well I have been planning on hitting Rainbow beach area for some sand riding, if you guys are doing weekends I am in.

Old 02-07-2015, 06:46 PM   #6
GodSilla
I did that.

Oddometer: 7,769
I have pre-arranged to have unlimited AIR available at both the Finke and Hattah for the exclusive use of tHEtREV's tyres.

Thank me when you see me tHEtREV, or just drop a handwritten note in with the corporate box tickets that I expect to receive, as a sponsor.
Old 02-07-2015, 07:14 PM   #7
tHEtREV
Captain Awesome

Gee thanks...

And here I was planning to use mousses, but I would be mad to use them now after your generous offer.

Now I am going to walk around the pits looking for anyone using a pump and I'll tell them to "fuck off, that's my air!".

Old 02-07-2015, 08:53 PM   #8
WILL_S
OUTLAW POSTIE 001

Oddometer: 2,270
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRjoe View Post
Is there another any way we can help get you to at least one of these races?
Maybe constant nagging about bike prep and training or we could all take turns on taking you on training exercises.

Bob and I are trying to do weekly rides up the beach to get some fitness back and get used to sand again.
You should come and join us on a few.

Yep prepped bike ready to go
Just turn up and ride it like ya stole it feeling good about the free air
Old 02-07-2015, 11:11 PM   #9
tHEtREV
Captain Awesome

Considering there are a few useless threads around at the moment, I might try and make use of one...

Just to bring anyone who gives a toss up to where I am, I'm aiming to do Hattah this year, and Finke in 2016.

I can't realistically afford to do both in the one year, and I am treating Hattah as practice for the Finke (yes I am aware they are two different types of event and the Finke is a lot faster than Hattah and bla bla bla, but I am not about to change my strange tREV logic and do stuff properly), and The Finke is the one I really want to do.

If I stuff up at Hattah and can't finish I won't be to disappointed, but a DNF at Finke will make me have to try again, and I can't afford that.

So why these two races?

Well Hattah just looks like "fun" and I thought it would be good to experience a big national desert race before the big one, and it is a lot cheaper than The Finke.

The Finke goes a lot further back to the first time I looked at a friends borrowed ADB and looked at all the pics of guys doing The Finke when I was back at Woodstock State School.

As the years went on and I inherited (stole) Tagati's old 84 KX125 I used to tear down stock route fence lines pretending I was on my way back to Alice after the run to Apatula, I would chase any article I could about bike set up for it and discus how to get there with a good friend who lived down the road and shared the interest.

I remember one day when he offered me the latest stick book he had found, or a read of an article on setting up an 84 KX500 for Finke, I chose the KX article and remember that they suggested using a half worn rear tyre because brand new ones would tear to shreds.

We made plans to get there on the KX, I was pretty sure you could get to Mt Isa following the railway service track, and Alice Springs wasn't to much further.

Anyway I was never going to get there (or the Weipa Croc run for that matter) and life got in the way as I got older, but every time someone mentioned Finke I would be of day dreaming again.

And then I joined ADV, and relised I could actually fulfill the life long dream of riding down that famous track, and I kept asking about it, but it all seemed to hard and it was cheaper just to go for a ride by myself.

But about a year ago I though bugger it, I am getting old (I'm 40 in May), so I may as well give it a serious shot of making the start line.

And that's where I am.

First I'll get Hattah out of the way.

So far I have booked accommodation for the Friday and Saturday nights in Mildura, organised a friend who is keen to be my "pit crew" (I hope he stays keen), and have a brand new helmet sitting in the cupboard.

The bike is my 07 Gas Gas EC250, it has just had a new piston thrown in it, and new plastics to go on so it looks all spiffy before I get it covered in roost as people lap me at a great rate of knots.

And what may seem like a side track is the 86 KX250 I have for vintage MX.

I was thinking of selling it to put the money into my KLX and 640 because I didn't think I could afford to do any VMX events this year, but I found out that QVMX is having a sign on and practice day next weekend. And as part of that they are having a come and try session between 9 and 12 Saturday morning, and if you do one of those sessions and you have never held a MA licence, you are eligable for a free Mini or rec licence, or $145 Junior or senior national licence.

So that gives me a good excuse to keep it for a while.

All I need to do for the KX is a new brake lever and I might get a new front tyre and I will try not to spend any more money on it.

As far as fitness goes, I have been trying to get out on the mountain bike, but my enthusiasm is waning on peddling, I have been doing some weights most days, and as much walking as I can do at work but I'm not really doing anywhere near as much as I should be doing.

And I am trying to hit the gravel on my way home atleast once a week on the bike.

So that is about where I am at.

Old 02-10-2015, 03:50 PM   #10
AussieDakar
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 183
I'm in

Ok tREV
I will match the $100 on offer
AussieDakar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 04:50 PM   #11
tHEtREV
Captain Awesome

Hey Pat, I saw you snuck back here.

And I couldn't take your $100 because I know how broke you security guards are.

Old 02-10-2015, 06:09 PM   #12
Terrabones
Flat Strap

Oddometer: 20
I will be living in the riverland by then , will come and watch / help , don't overlook your old KX , I had a kx250 cant remember the year but it was the last of the twin shocks , wasn't that flash on a mx track but it was incredible in the desert , Won and lapped nearly every one at a race at Farina , would be nice to know the steering setup it was just great at full bore in rough sand . With the training , set up a bar you can hang onto with your hands with your feet off the ground , great for strengthening shoulders / arms only a few seconds for a start will be plenty .
Old 02-11-2015, 01:57 AM   #13
troy safari carpente
Team f5ool

Oddometer: 19,877
Thumb

Three threads dedicated to you on the front page of the Ozsylum tREV...?

You'ved podium'ed already...

"What ees all 'zis f5uss
fuss about...?"
troy safari carpente is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 03:38 AM   #14
tHEtREV
Captain Awesome

Yeah I think they may have to get a bit of a merge (Well maybe the two I started anyway).

And I finished getting the KX ready for the weekend, new tyres ($120 a set Chinese shit old ones were cracked) new brake lever (free from the guy who owns the shop where I bought the tyres (Reco-MX in Logan Village), and muffler modified.

If it wasn't for the discovery of the dodgy swingarm bearings I would be pretty bloody happy.

I finally got to take it for a quick ride on Monday and I was impressed.

Like my old KX125 but with POWER!!!!

Old 02-11-2015, 03:44 AM   #15
DRjoe
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,092
Trevor we're doing a beach ride sunday, leaving early as possible.
You coming?
Anyone else want to come?
DRjoe is offline   Reply With Quote