User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-24-2009, 03:30 PM   #1
FatBoyCrash OP
Buckle up SpankY!!

Oddometer: 1,138
Who else lives with the Black Dog?

Because I don't know where else to put this, so apologies.

Time to fess up, because maybe, just maybe we can all help someone who frequents this forum.

Who here lives with the Black Dog? The Darkness.

Depression. If you've never had medically diagnosed depression it can't be explained how debilitating this thing is. Like being a parent perhaps? When you aren't you can't be told and when you are you can't tell.

I'm one lucky lucky bastard. I have the support network that has dragged me out of the pit and I think finally I may have a leash on the mongrel. A while ago I tried to top myself and luckily someone called the ambulance and I was able to find the correct people who can help.

So I'm thinking while riding recently it's time to pay it forward.

I'm thinking of a few things, some awareness raising through some stupid act of motorcycling, establishing a network of 'blokes on bikes' or similar but generally establishing a network of peers so that quietly we can step in and help. That sort of thing.

Big ride on Postie bikes or Ag bikes or something. I would really value input on this one.

One more bloke going Postal is too many.

Over to you blokes.
Old 06-24-2009, 03:39 PM   #2
Happy Finger's
Banned

Oddometer: 1,863
theres a very extensive thread on Depression over in Jo Momma

not saying you should go there
just saying in case you want to check it out

If i did live with the black dog
me personally would never admit it
because every dog is different yeh !

Cheers
Happy Finger's is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 03:42 PM   #3
rosscoact
need constant supervision

Oddometer: 5,503
Thumb

I have a couple of really close friends who suffer from the dog. Neither of them ride though.

I'm in for whatever, good on ya mate

www.transaustraliatrail.com.au
rosscoact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 03:56 PM   #4
OldOzy
Banned

Oddometer: 4,055
Good on ya for getting through it, ive only ever had to contend with a little one occasionaly nipping my heels.

Any help you need on the web organising/promoting give me a call.
Jock.
OldOzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 04:09 PM   #5
Fatguts McCantRide
On a diet and learning

Oddometer: 544
Count me in for whatever.

My dad copped it hard for a couple of years. Thankfully he got the help he needed, and the medication truly did help. We haven't talked about it recently but I know he's a hell of a lot happier and in a better mindset, and I don't think he's needed the medication for quite a while.

It's kind of scary finding out that the person you see at the strongest pillar in your life is as fragile as anyone.

Without trying to sound too cliched it was actually the lyrics to a song by an Aussie MC that goes by the name of Urthboy who helped me make sense of it all. The song not surprisingly is called Black Dog (link http://tinyurl.com/nho6o8)

Sometimes I can see how easy it would be to go over that mental edge. When you're in the red, and things are falling down around you it's hard to keep pushing on.
Old 06-24-2009, 04:28 PM   #6
lentil
All round nice guy

Oddometer: 8,456
Quote:
Originally Posted by lentil
Not sure about sponsorship

however I see a growing interestest in riding for charity amongst all of us@!!

Why dont we put together one massive ride across the whole country and then divvy the money across multiple charity's???

This way you stand more chance of sponsorship form larger fish - I have have worked with organisations that rely on phillanthropic donations and the only way they survice IMHO is but large enought to attract national funders like toyota an the like!!

Talk to Bronx about charity rides from all reports he did a bang up job on the canser ride and may be able to give you some Ideas!
Just posted this in the sponsorship thread!

Apple fanboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by troy safari carpente View Post
It's the classic freudian slip... "come out of the closet, and jump into the jaccuzzi with the rest of us..."
lentil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 04:54 PM   #7
Fatguts McCantRide
On a diet and learning

Oddometer: 544
Just a thought. In my line of work I write up quite a large number of propositions for sponsorship of various events. Without trying to yank my own chain, I am fairly adept at slinging words together. I'd be happy to write up any sponsorship props.
Old 06-24-2009, 05:54 PM   #8
Matt
Dirt Virgin

Oddometer: 2,021
What a great idea, I'm in (in some capacity).

I've been lucky enough to keep the dogs behind the fences, but had a debilitating anxiety period last year exaserbated by many things. I could always see my way out of the situation but it seemed like a long way to get there.

The stats on suicide in Australia, especially involving men make for sobering reading.

Why do people think bike riders all like rock'n'roll??
Matt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 06:18 PM   #9
tripodtiger
I used to be SCRay

Oddometer: 4,733
I live with the bastard everyday. Bikes, travel & kids are the only things that get me out of the house.

Yeah, I'd like to be in something.

Here are the rides (or even drives) I'd like to be able to do, at some time during my life

'4 Corners'.
Tweed Heads, Cameron Corner, Border Cliffs, Cape Howe (includes an overnight hike)

'Ride the Ridge' - Great Dividing Range

'5 Border Junctions' - around SA. Border Cliffs, Cameron Corner, Haddon Corner, Poeppel Corner, Surveyor General's Corner - permits required.

Ride Len Beadell's highways.

Cape Byron to Steep Point,

Cockle Creek to Cape York.

A fair dinkum lap, not just along the highway.

http://tripodtiger.smugmug.com/
tripodtiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 06:29 PM   #10
roswellj
ARGHventurer

Oddometer: 802
I suffered from depression for a very long time before it was diagnosed. It was the worst thing I have ever experienced and the extremely debilitating. My current girlfriend has also suffered from it in the past as well. I applaud anyone who is willing to share something like this after they are over it. I don't understand why men still beleive that by admitting it they are somehow lesser men.
I'm up for whatever you plan. It would be good to raise awareness and let people know that it is ok to talk to people and get help.
And god said unto moses come forth... but he came fifth and won a teapot
roswellj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 08:37 PM   #11
Shmerel

Oddometer: 11,152
i was depressed for a short while, years back when i had a massive business partnership dispute. the stressors of life can sometimes get the better of you.

(now my teen son is driving me crazy )

count me in IN. if i can help ...
Shmerel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 08:45 PM   #12
Oldfatbeerman
Enroute to a PUB

Oddometer: 3,986
I am also a sufferer , only mildly compared to some , but there are periods of my life when it has controlled my behavior and decisions .

I would welcome the opportunity to help bring about some event or events to keep this very common issue at the front of the minds of the general population .

Do we do something that seems silly ( but is actually fun ) to attract attention ?

Andrew Johns walked from Newcastle to Sydney over a few days about 12 months ago to raise awareness of the Dog , perhaps a high profile person could attract attention with our aims as well , World wide attention could be gained if the right celebrity were to be brought on board . I Wonder if Charley and Co wants to turn us into a TV show .

Alan
Old 06-24-2009, 09:00 PM   #13
Colonial Mick
Nettle Licker

Oddometer: 2,412
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBoyCrash
Because I don't know where else to put this, so apologies.

Time to fess up, because maybe, just maybe we can all help someone who frequents this forum.

Depression. If you've never had medically diagnosed depression it can't be explained how debilitating this thing is. Like being a parent perhaps? When you aren't you can't be told and when you are you can't tell.

I'm one lucky lucky bastard. I have the support network that has dragged me out of the pit and I think finally I may have a leash on the mongrel. A while ago I tried to top myself and luckily someone called the ambulance and I was able to find the correct people who can help.

So I'm thinking while riding recently it's time to pay it forward.

I'm thinking of a few things, some awareness raising through some stupid act of motorcycling, establishing a network of 'blokes on bikes' or similar but generally establishing a network of peers so that quietly we can step in and help. That sort of thing.

Big ride on Postie bikes or Ag bikes or something. I would really value input on this one.

One more bloke going Postal is too many.

Over to you blokes.

What a great idea Fatboy.Well done too for coming out and telling everyone thats a massive acheivement I have a mate who has it bad and I do my best to help but I feel like I am swimming with an anchor around my neck each time I visit.Seems very hard not to let the black dog bite me too and its very draining.
Count me in
.. -.-. --- ..- .-.. -.. -. .----. - --. .. ...- . .- ..-. .- - .-. .- - ... - .. -
Colonial Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 09:01 PM   #14
roswellj
ARGHventurer

Oddometer: 802
Thought I would add this in case anyone was reading this thread and thought they may have depression and didn't want to speak up, hope it's ok and not considered threadjacking.
http://www.beyondblue.org.au/
It's a good site and has numbers you can call for help completely annomously.
And god said unto moses come forth... but he came fifth and won a teapot
roswellj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 11:20 PM   #15
gsd4me
90% bluff

Oddometer: 7,661
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBoyCrash
Depression.

Me

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...uild+australia
gsd4me is offline   Reply With Quote