Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-26-2011, 09:12 PM   #706
obe01
Wannabe Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,269
Quote:
Originally Posted by ciedema View Post
I've considered leaving my wife for mine but since I get to ride both it is the best of both worlds.

Seriously I agree they are excellent pieces of kit. I'm not even interested in my little bike anymore.

I don't know why people hate them envy I suppose.

They are constantly compared to GSAs and Teneres when really they are class of there own. I think the nearest thing to them is the F800.

They are an absolute blast to ride with no luggage on them. But still make a great tourer when loaded up even 2 up.
+1..Nice one. Absolutely agree...
Old 07-26-2011, 09:45 PM   #707
Speedzter
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 668
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave70 View Post
They'll ship one of those for $37 (the pre filter, don't know bout the shipping). Definitely going for one.
Why not go through unifilter in Aus, they make them !

http://www.uniflow.com.au/contents/en-us/d321.html

Speedzter screwed with this post 07-27-2011 at 12:08 AM
Speedzter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 10:45 PM   #708
Dale950
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 963
Quote:
Originally Posted by obe01 View Post
I don't know if any of you ever get this but I am sick to death of those who continually put the big Kato's down. Most of the time it is riders who have never owned one nor even ridden one.
These people continually comment on the reliability issues associated with the 950's/990's of which my 950 has never given me any problems. I did on one occaision have the fuel pump go on me. It shit itself at home one morning when I went to start it to do a service on her. I obtained a replacement fuel pump for it better than the OEM ones at a cost of $45 US each, not bad, and had it back on the road within a week. I even purchased a spare and put it under the seat however was told that I would never have any more problems with this happening again.
Might I add that the bike is a 2003 model and that this was the first fuel pump replacement that it had had within it's 8 years of being ridden. Not bad for an 8 year old bike...
As for the other small problems that KTM's are renowned for, ya just sort these out and then trouble free motoring from then on, other than the usual things that go from time to time. Other than that I know of a few people with big Kato's that have had no problems and probably never will.
I cannot understand why these people enjoy putting these bikes down especially when there is other makes of motorbikes that have their own problems and can drive their owners crazy. I have seen this happen to numerous makes of bikes here on this forum.
OK, I have said my bit and feel better for it. I will probably get smashed for this but I don't care. Those people can go fu*k themselves. I love my 950...
Johnnie
Yeh I hear ya , Ive run into the same crap , they have never ridden or owned one or they don't get Dual Sport Adventure riding and don't know what there capable of , I find bike dealers other than Ktm are bad . There also scared of the Big Bad 950 !
Dale950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 11:11 PM   #709
obe01
Wannabe Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,269
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale950 View Post
Yeh I hear ya , Ive run into the same crap , they have never ridden or owned one or they don't get Dual Sport Adventure riding and don't know what there capable of , I find bike dealers other than Ktm are bad . There also scared of the Big Bad 950 !
Old 07-27-2011, 01:01 AM   #710
Oldfatbeerman
Enroute to a PUB

Oddometer: 3,485
Quote:
Originally Posted by obe01 View Post
I don't know if any of you ever get this but I am sick to death of those who continually put the big Kato's down. Most of the time it is riders who have never owned one nor even ridden one.
These people continually comment on the reliability issues associated with the 950's/990's of which my 950 has never given me any problems. I did on one occaision have the fuel pump go on me. It shit itself at home one morning when I went to start it to do a service on her. I obtained a replacement fuel pump for it better than the OEM ones at a cost of $45 US each, not bad, and had it back on the road within a week. I even purchased a spare and put it under the seat however was told that I would never have any more problems with this happening again.
Might I add that the bike is a 2003 model and that this was the first fuel pump replacement that it had had within it's 8 years of being ridden. Not bad for an 8 year old bike...
As for the other small problems that KTM's are renowned for, ya just sort these out and then trouble free motoring from then on, other than the usual things that go from time to time. Other than that I know of a few people with big Kato's that have had no problems and probably never will.
I cannot understand why these people enjoy putting these bikes down especially when there is other makes of motorbikes that have their own problems and can drive their owners crazy. I have seen this happen to numerous makes of bikes here on this forum.
OK, I have said my bit and feel better for it. I will probably get smashed for this but I don't care. Those people can go fu*k themselves. I love my 950...
Johnnie

I took my 950 in for a rego inspection today , the mech positively drooled all over it , his comment to me as we walked towards the bike was " I bet I can't fault this one , ay " , not every one thinks the wrong way about them , he knew a gem when he saw one .

He was seriously dissapointed when he had to go back into the work shop and continue working on jap cars as I left . Makes ya feel pretty proud when a person who appreciates fine machinery compliments your bike .
Old 07-27-2011, 01:06 AM   #711
tremmy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 45
front suspension

G'day, looking at getting the front suspension stiffened up. Heard about these superplush springs from OS, are the any differant from the local variety. With the spring change is valving required. And if so where is the best place to get it done. By the way live in Vic.
Cheers
tremmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 02:43 AM   #712
Cruz
Lost but laughing.

Oddometer: 5,713

xronly
Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 02:51 AM   #713
Dale950
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 963
Quote:
Originally Posted by tremmy View Post
G'day, looking at getting the front suspension stiffened up. Heard about these superplush springs from OS, are the any differant from the local variety. With the spring change is valving required. And if so where is the best place to get it done. By the way live in Vic.
Cheers
I recently had mine done by Suspension R Us in Cranbourne

http://www.suspensionsrus.com.au/

They put Progressive YSS front springs in mine & had it revalve'd , very happy .
Dale950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 02:54 AM   #714
Knackers
Polishing Turds

Oddometer: 4,746
Quote:
When they went to from 950 to 990 2007
EFI was the 2006 model here and in europe. First EFI in the USA was 2007.

It just happened, Max, you know?

A p-p-p-p-piece from here and a p-p-p-piece from there.
Knackers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 02:56 AM   #715
ciedema
мотоциклист

Oddometer: 1,910
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knackers View Post
EFI was the 2006 model here and in europe. First EFI in the USA was 2007.
I think called it the 2007 'model' released late 06. The 2006 'model' was still an Orange 950.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR650L_Dave View Post
The only guaranteed route to failure is the attempted solution of problems through the application of ideology.
ciedema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 03:05 AM   #716
Knackers
Polishing Turds

Quote:
I think called it the 2007 'model' released late 06. The 2006 'model' was still an Orange 950.
My 990 was a 06 purchased in Aug 06. The Last 950 here was called a 2005.5 from memory. Go figure

Old 07-27-2011, 03:07 AM   #717
ciedema
мотоциклист

Oddometer: 1,910
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knackers View Post
My 990 was a 06 purchased in Aug 06. The Last 950 here was called a 2005.5 from memory. Go figure
Oh Ok you are tickling the memory now. What colour was it your 06?

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR650L_Dave View Post
The only guaranteed route to failure is the attempted solution of problems through the application of ideology.
ciedema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 03:10 AM   #718
The Bigfella
Big Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,276
Woo hoo.... just cranked the 950 SE up... and she's sounding sweet.

Did the valves, plugs, all fluids (except oil... I'll do that tomorrow), new tyre, new brake pads and threw some carbon and kevlar bits at it. What a shit of a job it is working with that stuff... I still need to make a bracket to mount the kevlar sumpguard. My toolkit fits in there now too... although I haven't had a chance to make a decent way of securing it yet, so it may have to live in the normal spot for a while.

My new carbon / kevlar fender/rack setup works, but I can already see how to improve it a bit. There's now zero weight on the rear subframe... the rack is well over an inch away from it and any weight on it is carried into the area under the seat, rather than into the weak area.

I've ditched the rear mudguard / numberplate bracket setup and thrown on a generic offroad one - with a couple of LEDs for the numberplate light to make it legal. LED blinkers all round too.

I've also fitted Highway Dirt Bikes hand guards, mirrors and bar mounts (with a couple of (shhhhh) bmw powerlet outlets and got my new twin headlight / carbon dash setup working - with some RAM mounts on the dash. I junked those crappy switches that KTM use and went to the HDB ones.... so now I can use the horn and the kill switch. I've fitted CJ Design wide footpeg extensions on the swivel pegs are a big improvement.

I've gone Chaingang sprockets (and gone from 17/45 to 16/48 for this trip to Cape York and through Asia.... better to be geared for the slower stuff). The Shorai Lithium battery is in too... and there's 2 1/2 kilos gone.
Old 07-27-2011, 03:14 AM   #719
Knackers
Polishing Turds

Quote:
Oh Ok you are tickling the memory now. What colour was it your 06?
Anthracite (black/grey)

Old 07-27-2011, 03:19 AM   #720
Bronx
Bronx

Oddometer: 1,442
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfatbeerman View Post
I took my 950 in for a rego inspection today , the mech positively drooled all over it , his comment to me as we walked towards the bike was " I bet I can't fault this one , ay " , not every one thinks the wrong way about them , he knew a gem when he saw one .

He was seriously dissapointed when he had to go back into the work shop and continue working on jap cars as I left . Makes ya feel pretty proud when a person who appreciates fine machinery compliments your bike .
It is a nice set up that you have Oldfatbeerman!

I love mine as well.

Bruce

KTM 625 SXC

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=596286

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=561584

If you don't get lost it is not an adventure .
Bronx is offline   Reply With Quote