User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-01-2012, 04:55 PM   #1426
MymoJoe
Ride Ride Ride

Oddometer: 2,860
hmmm

I can't understand why there is such large variations in the spring rates being quoted...

I would personally never use TEKNIC again- for what ever reason I decided to try them instead of MPE, who I had been using for years and will again continue to use. TEKNIC were more expensive, they took ages to do the work and post the forks back, and the work was crap. I had another suspension tuner pull them apart 1 mth later and he was horrified at the work that was done and the crap materials used in the work.

See if you can find a spring rate calcuator on line.

Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1coolbanana View Post
So now its become even more frustrating!
Hay wants to use .80's and use DR650 or KLR parts to do it..................forget that!
Teknic cant give me a straight answer and last conversation was they would only use up to .54's (because thats all they got or will get they say) and revalve to suit, that blows too!

Ill see what FP has to say today.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...33#post7397233

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO - what a ride!"
MymoJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 06:04 PM   #1427
APC Rally
Banned

Oddometer: 784
My 10 cents worth

Tyres
In the last 12 months I have run the following tyres
Mefo super explorer ( good for 8 days hard riding) especially good on gravel roads and rides well on the bitumen

Dunlop 908 ( good for 6 Days Hard riding) Tough side walls wont let you down but I think it is a low performance tyre

Motoz tractionator ( Good for 6 days hard riding) excellent perfomance in the wet and mountain country(not speed rated)
Dunlop 606 (good for 4 days riding)performs well in the mountains ( not speed rated)

In short if I was racing a 990 in a four day event i would select the tractionator and the a 606. If i was having to depend on a tyre for 10 days constantt use i would select the dunlop 908. For a quick run on a weekend with some mates the 606 is good .

Prices are as follows
$280 Dunlop 908
$130 Dunlop 606
$140 Motoz tractionator
$240 mefo super explorer.

In the Apc rally I reccommend Dunlop 908's for the bikes over 200 kg because they have tough side walls and are speed rated to 160km. Bikes less then 200kg I reccommend the dunlop 606. They are a very good tyre at the price.
I run 26 psi in all these tyres . If tyre noise really bothers you on the bitumen dont get a tractionator or a 606.
APC Rally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 06:40 PM   #1428
Meico640
Banned

Oddometer: 264
On the advice of the man above that has plenty of 990 exp,

I'm going to go the .60 springs

Will have to see how it all goes...
Meico640 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 08:02 PM   #1429
Chop Chop
Hector erector

Oddometer: 1,669
Quote:
Originally Posted by APC Rally View Post
Tyres
In the last 12 months I have run the following tyres
Mefo super explorer ( good for 8 days hard riding) especially good on gravel roads and rides well on the bitumen

Dunlop 908 ( good for 6 Days Hard riding) Tough side walls wont let you down but I think it is a low performance tyre

Motoz tractionator ( Good for 6 days hard riding) excellent perfomance in the wet and mountain country(not speed rated) Which model? Haven't tried one, only because three others I know said they are dangerous in the wet. But a hard wearing tyre.
Dunlop 606 (good for 4 days riding)performs well in the mountains ( not speed rated) DOT rated for the US and speed rating is R. Largest is 130/90 which will have a square profile on the wider rims, but doesn't seem to bother some.

In short if I was racing a 990 in a four day event i would select the tractionator and the a 606. If i was having to depend on a tyre for 10 days constantt use i would select the dunlop 908. For a quick run on a weekend with some mates the 606 is good .

Prices are as follows
$280 Dunlop 908
$130 Dunlop 606
$140 Motoz tractionator
$240 mefo super explorer.

In the Apc rally I reccommend Dunlop 908's for the bikes over 200 kg because they have tough side walls and are speed rated to 160km. Bikes less then 200kg I reccommend the dunlop 606. They are a very good tyre at the price.
Unfortunately the 908 only comes in 18in rear. Leaves out the Tiger, 800gs, 1200gs and Teneres

I run 26 psi in all these tyres . If tyre noise really bothers you on the bitumen dont get a tractionator or a 606.

Tyres are always going to be an emotive subject like oil. What seems to work for one, doesn't always for another. I like the 606 on the rear, but hate them on the front. Where as I know others like the front. Any tyre will last as long as your wrist lets it

If you don't want the piss taken, stop giving it away!
Chop Chop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 11:35 PM   #1430
KASUYAHO
Road Hog

Oddometer: 3,572
Quote:
Originally Posted by mortaygo View Post
I can't understand why there is such large variations in the spring rates being quoted...

I would personally never use TEKNIC again- for what ever reason I decided to try them instead of MPE, who I had been using for years and will again continue to use. TEKNIC were more expensive, they took ages to do the work and post the forks back, and the work was crap. I had another suspension tuner pull them apart 1 mth later and he was horrified at the work that was done and the crap materials used in the work.

See if you can find a spring rate calcuator on line.

Joe
So let me guess the guy from MPE pulled the forks apart and said the work TEKNIK did was crap.
KASUYAHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 11:59 PM   #1431
LC8TY
must......find.......fuel

Oddometer: 2,297
G'day Mick

I tryed a Mefo super explorer and they do last well (done 8000 ks, could do another 2000 if it had to) but they don't grip like a 908. I was told to run it at high pressure (35+ psi) to stop it throwing tread blocks....super exploder???...so that would be part of the reason for less grip.

They are a great travel tyre for a mix of dirt/road but they suck in soft sand. On the gravel they do step out on the corners if you use too much throttle and they don't hook up again like a 908 if you back the gas off a little bit.

But seeing as you are a sensible rider and don't do the soft stuff much....... you'll be fine.

to hear the cannonball a roar'n!
LC8TY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 12:03 AM   #1432
APC Rally
Banned

Oddometer: 784
908 or mefo

I think these tyres perform very simlar for the first 5 days of riding. I would suggest the next 5 days the mefo would have more tread left to work with. I would be happy to reccommend the mefo but I am unsure of its speed rating so i have not really pushed them to riders in case there were failures with the side walls. The mefo is a 150 and the 908 is 140 but I cant tell the difference when riding. The good old dunlop 606 will out perform boths these tyre for 4 days riding becasue the 606 has a tread pattern that bites which means I can stop quicker and get better traction when trying to climb mountain ranges.
The tractionator can deleiver scary drive when you having a crack on the 990. I agree with hartley on the Michellin starcross hp4 as the best performance front tyre but they do wear pretty quick. I tend to soften my rear suspension a little when I am riding on a buggered rear tyre so I get more drive. The 990 you can adjust the rear compression on the go which is great. To give some idea on how important rear suspension is in the scheme of things.
David knight changed a rear shock at the A4DE half way during day 2 , he could feel when the oil had gone off and the bike wasnt handling. Since then I have changed my rear shock oil every 10,000 km. Some of the big moments I have had on a 990 is when i have bottomed out and then got the rear airborn. Most bikes that are new have shocks in them that are at least 12 months old. I am not saying that shocks will fail if you dont change the oil, i am just suggesting if you want things to be working at 100 % this is one thing you need to keep an eye on.
APC Rally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 12:14 AM   #1433
1coolbanana
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,398
What about the Metzeller Karoo or TKC as compared to that lot?

1coolbanana screwed with this post 05-02-2012 at 12:32 AM
1coolbanana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 12:29 AM   #1434
digga1111
bann ed

Oddometer: 3,362
or a kenda big block
... the XR is the greatest off road motorcycle ever constructed. There's nothing it can't do, hasn't won or will not outperform.
digga1111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 12:36 AM   #1435
MymoJoe
Ride Ride Ride

Oddometer: 2,860
Not at all

Quote:
Originally Posted by KASUYAHO View Post
So let me guess the guy from MPE pulled the forks apart and said the work TEKNIK did was crap.
I took it in and said nothing. Said I had just bought it and it wasn't handling right... The tech showed me the valves used (teknic emulators) they were poorly made and light weight. One of the bolts were bent- hence the poor handling & the valving was "wrong". The spring rates were also wrong. I wasted $500 and lots of time. I kick myself for trying someone else.

I only went to teknic as so many people here rave about them....

This is only my experience of course.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...33#post7397233

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO - what a ride!"
MymoJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 01:23 AM   #1436
Cruz
Lost but laughing.

Oddometer: 5,887
Quote:
Originally Posted by digga1111 View Post
or a kenda big block
What did you use on the weekend Digga?

xronly
Cruz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 01:33 AM   #1437
digga1111
bann ed

Oddometer: 3,362
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruz View Post
What did you use on the weekend Digga?
mate iam a big fan of the mx71's, love the fronts, excellent tyre. i had a 952 on the rear this time mate, little bit harder then the mx 71 and more prone to fly apart at speed but for a hundred bucks they go alright. bit small for the big twins though. i was just adding fuel to the tyre debate.
i have seen those mitas things on moist clayish surfaces and i recon they'd be good fire starters
... the XR is the greatest off road motorcycle ever constructed. There's nothing it can't do, hasn't won or will not outperform.
digga1111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 02:15 AM   #1438
Hodgo
TWIN Cylinder ADV

Oddometer: 1,556
Wicked Tyres

i just bought a new 908 from Tyres 4 bikes so will See how it goes on the SE. But for 100 fatboys more it had better hold up to its rep. Will be removing the Motoz tractionator after 5000 of ks. it's worn well is very noisey grips well in dirt but bloody dangerous in the wet.

if they made an e09 Dakar in a 18/140 I would try that but they only make 17/140. the Dakar is the shit for my AT.

My 2 cents worth while drinking tiger beers at the pool bar in Thailand
www.facebook.com/KTM950SE
Retired.. CR500E & lots more
Hodgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 02:52 AM   #1439
Chop Chop
Hector erector

Oddometer: 1,669
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozimick View Post
Thanks Tony & John,
Being a bit old school I think Ill stick with the 908, better the devil I know for now .
Also John, I have found the Michy Desert to perform very well on the rear and is a worthy choice in place of the 908. I dont mind the 606 but seem to be a bit harsh on them and struggle to get home before wearing these out on the long rides..
I like the hp4 on the front but have found them difficult to get of late and have been running the Pirelli Scorpian Rally , these seem to perform and wear very well too.

How much are th Pirelli's worth. Can't seem to find a local supplier.

If you don't want the piss taken, stop giving it away!
Chop Chop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 02:53 AM   #1440
Knackers
Polishing Turds

Oddometer: 4,783
Aaaahhh Tyres.

I'll always default to the 908 on the rear for long trips but the michy desert has always given me the best grip on both the 990 and SE, and it lasts okay. I run deserts exclusively on the SE now because on a cost per km basis they are fairly equal but they grip better.

I would not touch another tractionator again if doing any tar to get where I want to go. Mine lasted less than 2000kms. For a Simpson etc trip they would be great, less the tar or even birsdville/oodna track bit.

It just happened, Max, you know?

A p-p-p-p-piece from here and a p-p-p-piece from there.
Knackers is offline   Reply With Quote