Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Australia
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-02-2012, 08:50 PM   #1456
The Bigfella
Big Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,379
Just picked up some new rubbers for the SE from Adventuremoto. Same as last time, Mitas E09 front and Mefo Super Exploder rear. I'm going through gloves at near the same rate as tyres.

Trying a set of Klim Dakar gloves this time... they may prove a bit warm in Asia though, so will hang on to what's left of my old ones. I think the old ones are Mojaves - great in the warm weather, but that comes with increased fragility.

Ride through Oz and Asia
The Bigfella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 10:01 PM   #1457
ADVJake OP
***** dweller

Oddometer: 4,338
If the pipes are akros, on an LC8, baffles always out. the music these pipes make is just magic.
Ive tried quite a few pipes on the LC8 and nothing matches the tune the akros put out.
Any other bike i prefer silence
Old 05-03-2012, 12:20 AM   #1458
nry

Oddometer: 1,310
Quote:
Originally Posted by mortaygo View Post
I can't understand why there is such large variations in the spring rates being quoted...

I would personally never use TEKNIC again- for what ever reason I decided to try them instead of MPE, who I had been using for years and will again continue to use. TEKNIC were more expensive, they took ages to do the work and post the forks back, and the work was crap. I had another suspension tuner pull them apart 1 mth later and he was horrified at the work that was done and the crap materials used in the work.

See if you can find a spring rate calcuator on line.

Joe
This is interesting.

I tried to reply the other day but the computer ate my reply.
I suppose it all boils down to who does the work for you in the shop.
Talking to Teknik the other day, until recently they had 5 guys in the shop working on jobs, they did say though that with that many guys in the shop QA became a nightmare. They plan to keep the staff level as it is at the moment.
I wonder if you were unlucky and someone with an issue / poor work ethic did you work ? Never know I suppose.
I watched Nick do my stuff so I expect it will be spot on.
That's my issue with FP, he did my work and admitted to it.
When I asked him what he'd done he turned around and said " I don't know mate I do a lot of forks" WTF
Then he tried to charge me for a brand new shock spring when it was clearly second hand.
I could give other examples of my interaction with him.
This was years ago though and he's still in business so maybe he's gotten his act together. Maybe he didn't like me.

Fwiw Teknik also have work coming into them from other companies and it's coming to them for a reason

I have no allegiance to any of these guys just want to help 1CB get the best for his money first time out.
nry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 01:49 AM   #1459
Knackers
Polishing Turds

Oddometer: 4,771
Quote:
Originally Posted by APC Rally View Post
All ktm twin dealers have the map for this set up . Usually you just need to attach the pipes and leave the bike idle for 5 minutes and the bikes computor will make adjustments and then you just ride. If you are getting a heap of backfiring you may look at putting the baffles back in .
I think the back firing/pooping referred to is from carbed bikes.

It just happened, Max, you know?

A p-p-p-p-piece from here and a p-p-p-piece from there.
Knackers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 01:54 AM   #1460
Knackers
Polishing Turds

Quote:
Originally Posted by nry View Post
This is interesting.

I tried to reply the other day but the computer ate my reply.
I suppose it all boils down to who does the work for you in the shop.
Talking to Teknik the other day, until recently they had 5 guys in the shop working on jobs, they did say though that with that many guys in the shop QA became a nightmare. They plan to keep the staff level as it is at the moment.
I wonder if you were unlucky and someone with an issue / poor work ethic did you work ? Never know I suppose.
I watched Nick do my stuff so I expect it will be spot on.
That's my issue with FP, he did my work and admitted to it.
When I asked him what he'd done he turned around and said " I don't know mate I do a lot of forks" WTF
Then he tried to charge me for a brand new shock spring when it was clearly second hand.
I could give other examples of my interaction with him.
This was years ago though and he's still in business so maybe he's gotten his act together. Maybe he didn't like me.

Fwiw Teknik also have work coming into them from other companies and it's coming to them for a reason

I have no allegiance to any of these guys just want to help 1CB get the best for his money first time out.
I had one suspension tuner in Melbourne that took 2 goes to get my forks right. I even managed to collapse a set of springs which was blamed on faulty steel in the springs. They didn't charge me for the work or argue but still disappointing.

I'd box the forks up and send them to Izzy at Suspensions R Us in Melbourne. Does a good job and have never heard a bad word from anybody. From my knowledge he would have to have done the most 9x0 suspension work in Vic.

Old 05-03-2012, 02:00 AM   #1461
Knackers
Polishing Turds

Quote:
Originally Posted by chongqingcec View Post
As the national-level motorcycle exhibition in China, the 11th China International Motorcycle Trade Exhibition (CIMAMotor 2012), the largest motorcycle exhibition in Asia, will be held on October 18-21, 2012 in Chongqing, China.
CIMAMotor 2011 has gained full support from all Chinese top motorcycle manufacturers and parts suppliers. The exhibition area reach 60,000 and 400 companies which account for 90% of the Chinese motorcycle manufacturing capability attend the exhibition. Over 800 media, including most of Chinese motorcycle industrial media and main financial media involved in CIMAMotor 2011. More than 100,000 buyers and visitors from home and abroad are expected.
We sincerely wish the participants in CIMAMotor 2012 a pleasant and successful time in Chongqing.
Piss Off

Old 05-03-2012, 03:17 AM   #1462
2upAussie990
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 439
Quote:
Originally Posted by chongqingcec View Post
As the national-level motorcycle exhibition in China, the 11th China International Motorcycle Trade Exhibition (CIMAMotor 2012), the largest motorcycle exhibition in Asia, will be held on October 18-21, 2012 in Chongqing, China.
CIMAMotor 2011 has gained full support from all Chinese top motorcycle manufacturers and parts suppliers. The exhibition area reach 60,000 and 400 companies which account for 90% of the Chinese motorcycle manufacturing capability attend the exhibition. Over 800 media, including most of Chinese motorcycle industrial media and main financial media involved in CIMAMotor 2011. More than 100,000 buyers and visitors from home and abroad are expected.
We sincerely wish the participants in CIMAMotor 2012 a pleasant and successful time in Chongqing.

Did you ring me last night to day I had something worng with my computer.
2upAussie990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 05:42 AM   #1463
KASUYAHO
Road Hog

Oddometer: 3,542
Quote:
Originally Posted by nry View Post
NRY you forgot to mention tha alot of other suspension tuners buy parts from TEKNIK too.
KASUYAHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 07:10 AM   #1464
Motocrankin
Adventurer

Oddometer: 73
Hi Gents is there a thread for installing the RON switch on an 950? Help & piccies would be appreciated.

Ta Nick
Motocrankin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 12:31 PM   #1465
The Bigfella
Big Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motocrankin View Post
Hi Gents is there a thread for installing the RON switch on an 950? Help & piccies would be appreciated.

Ta Nick
I didn't take photos of de-installing mine. Its simply a matter of routing two wires to wherever you locate the switch from the joined wires under the seat. I prefer the factory method.... unplug the wires if you fill up with crap fuel... plug them back together if you've got good fuel.

Ride through Oz and Asia
Old 05-03-2012, 06:37 PM   #1466
Motocrankin
Adventurer

Laugh Ron Switch

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bigfella View Post
I didn't take photos of de-installing mine. Its simply a matter of routing two wires to wherever you locate the switch from the joined wires under the seat. I prefer the factory method.... unplug the wires if you fill up with crap fuel... plug them back together if you've got good fuel.
Hi Bigfella,thanks for your reply. It appears by your answer that`s it`s a bit of Fluff & totally uneccesary.
Cheers bloke hope your still travelling & having fun up in Indo.
Old 05-03-2012, 06:45 PM   #1467
The Bigfella
Big Adventurer

Quote:
Hi Bigfella,thanks for your reply. It appears by your answer that`s it`s a bit of Fluff & totally uneccesary.
Cheers bloke hope your still travelling & having fun up in Indo.
The problem I had with it was that I could never remember which way was what... and I couldn't detect a difference. I suppose if I'd done the install I would've known, but then I put the multimeter on it and discovered the switch was a dud anyhow... so I took the whole thing off. It isn't hard to do the disconnect thing if you get dud fuel. The guy I bought the bike off reckoned it was worth having in order to take a bit of an edge off the power in slow stuff. I'm not so sure its that noticeable.

Re Indo... I fly back there on Tuesday (although I have a client trying to get me to delay for a few days... which I'm resisting). Should be into Malaysia in a week to 10 days, then head north.

Ride through Oz and Asia
Old 05-03-2012, 07:30 PM   #1468
Motocrankin
Adventurer

Thumb Ron Switch

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bigfella View Post
The problem I had with it was that I could never remember which way was what... and I couldn't detect a difference. I suppose if I'd done the install I would've known, but then I put the multimeter on it and discovered the switch was a dud anyhow... so I took the whole thing off. It isn't hard to do the disconnect thing if you get dud fuel. The guy I bought the bike off reckoned it was worth having in order to take a bit of an edge off the power in slow stuff. I'm not so sure its that noticeable.

Re Indo... I fly back there on Tuesday (although I have a client trying to get me to delay for a few days... which I'm resisting). Should be into Malaysia in a week to 10 days, then head north.
Bigfella, I`m with you on the fact that it is totally unnoticeble when diconnected.Might matter with some really shit fuel in Europe, Africa or something.
Congrats on your travels & look forward to hearing more.
Nick
Old 05-03-2012, 09:01 PM   #1469
PBee

Oddometer: 8,562
Quote:

Ta Nick
If it's the same/ similar to the 990?

'tis easy to do, buy a switch (Repco,Supercrap..etc) run two wires down to the RON barrel union connect one wire to each side & connect to each side of the switch.

I use a red protecing flip up thingy so it's not switched accidentaly.

Top sw: Fuel, Bottom sw :ABS

QUORN SCHNITZEL CLUB Est 2011.
When in the FLINDERS RANGES SA stay at the
ANGORICHINA VILLAGE

PBee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 11:53 PM   #1470
1coolbanana
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,378
Quote:
Originally Posted by PBee View Post

Hi Pbee
Are you happy with the satnav location, doesnt bounce around too much or did you have to reinforce the dash?
Could you please tell me what the height is on the riser of the GPR clamp (not including the Rox)?
Is it the same as the standard bar riser height?
Cheers
1CB
1coolbanana is online now   Reply With Quote