User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Yesterday, 01:06 AM   #1
Jeff61 OP
n00b

Oddometer: 8
Camping stove

Hi all, after going thru all the posts on living on the track/ road ,I was looking for some recommendations on camp stoves. Thanks Jeff
Jeff61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 01:15 AM   #2
mattadv93
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 221
https://youtu.be/SMIDJIm5uf0

This video may help you out with figuring out what suits you best. I bought a small camp stove from Aldi and seems to work great and only cost me $25 I think.

-Husaberg FE570
mattadv93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 02:09 AM   #3
PK2
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 275
Do you want gas or spirit or unleaded?

Too many options without narrowing it down a bit!
PK2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 02:18 AM   #4
Jeff61 OP
n00b

Probably rather butane.the stoves are small but a lot of makers.bit wary of real cheap ones on eBay.
Old Yesterday, 02:22 AM   #5
dazza67
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 365
If your using it in the cold climates & high altitude as in the snowy mountains you'd be better off with the duel fuel stoves.

If i'm riding i'm happy!
dazza67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 02:33 AM   #6
TheDecepticon
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 182
I have 2. I use a 360 Furno for boiling water with disposable gas canisters. I get the larger canister and it last quite a while when just boiling water. I also have a Trangia 25 which runs on metho that I use for cooking dinner etc. Can't fault either and the Furno fits inside the Trangia.

http://www.snowys.com.au/Hiking/Ligh...&sc=77&id=4348

http://www.snowys.com.au/Hiking/Ligh...&sc=77&id=2126

I went for these two after a lot of research, your needs may be different.
TheDecepticon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 02:34 AM   #7
FuTAnT
KTM 990ADV

Oddometer: 342
It probably depends on whether you want to pack the kitchen sink or not. I've had great results with one of these:
http://kovea.com/product/titanium/

Of course there are other models, but I like that because it is super light, functional, and only weights 88 grams. All that weight adds up on the bike, or on your back

MSR obviously make some great products. Many people swear by the Pocket Rocket and Micro Rocket etc.

Then of course you can go super wanky and buy into the 'stove systems' that both Kovea and MSR do. That's not for me personally, but I hear they work very well and be very functional. You're just locked into their cooking gear that is designed to work with the burners.

How big / small do you want? Multi-fuel etc, or gas?
Old Yesterday, 03:16 AM   #8
Jeff61 OP
n00b

Thanks for the feedback. A lot of good options.
Old Yesterday, 04:13 AM   #9
F_R_E_D
Lurker

Oddometer: 25
I have been really happy with my jetboil. all packs into its cup and you can use normal smallish pots and pans on it.
F_R_E_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 04:17 AM   #10
AUSSIEADV
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 286
I have two gas stoves. One has the smaller burner which is great for billy's etc and a larger burner for frypans as it's more stable etc. The small burner stove I got off Ebay very cheap and it hasn't given me any trouble. Very surprised in it's quality, but then they are all made in China.
AUSSIEADV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 04:26 AM   #11
Ockrocket
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,364
I have a little folding unit that goes on a gas canister (folds up to about the same size as a wallet), can't remember the brand at the moment, and a cooking pot set to use with it (both bought from Kathmandu a few years back).

Another idea I have floating in my head is to make one of those soft drink can stoves... but better.

I have a couple of stainless steel camping mugs, my plan is to drill small holes around the top of a mug to act as burner jets, then possibly drill two or three holes 10 mm up from the bottom of the mug to act as air inlets.

For fuel I'm thinking of using fire lighter blocks, place one in the bottom of the mug and light it, place a small saucepan or frypan with water/food on top of the mug, which will then cause the flame from the fire lighter to come out the holes, thus creating a burner ring under the pan.

All this works inside my head, the true test will be to see if it works in practice.

My reasoning for the fire starter blocks is that they are safer to carry than gas cylinders and spirit fuels.
The fire starters are readily available in supermarkets/hardware stores/servos/camping supply shops and come in packs of about 24 or so.
By using some form of small cup like container to place in the bottom of the mug the unit could then become a liquid fuel stove if needed as well.

Another fuel option could be to soak a small block of wood in fuel/kerosene and place it in the bottom of the mug/stove and light it (but don't set your bloody bike on fire in the process ).

When I get some spare time I will get around to actually making one to see if it works.

"All roads lead to now."

I love snatching kisses..... and vice versa.
Ockrocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 05:40 AM   #12
Sundowner
Bort

Oddometer: 3,699
I'm a big fan of a simple, small twig/branch fired campfire when touring. In most areas you'll be fine with complying with "fire in the open" rules. In National Parks, I use a solid fuel cube stove to heat soup or canned stew. It probably doesn't fully comply, but it's small, simple, quick and cheap. I always try to camp where I can have a cooking fire. In Total Fire Ban situations, the crackers, cheese, sardines and cake comes out of the tucker bag. The fuel for these Army hexamine stoves is available everywhere. The stove and a box of matches weigh very little and can't spill into your gear, contaminating anything. A campfire can make the loneliest night out bush totally heart warming and memorable. Nothing beats them.
Old Yesterday, 06:17 AM   #13
oldcodger
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 127
I have a Trangia 27 ULHA with a multi-disk, dual fuel burner and a 300ml bottle and I am very happy with it as a complete cook system.

http://www.trangia.se/english/5615.27_series_ul_ha.html
http://www.trangia.se/english/2917.t...cessories.html

The only other stoves that I would consider are the MSR reactor and Jetboil Flash which burn gas. These are aimed at freeze dried eaters though and except for boiling a couple of cups of water have limited uses.

http://www.cascadedesigns.com/msr/st...ystems/product
http://www.jetboil.com/Products/Flas...System-Carbon/
Old Yesterday, 07:05 AM   #14
Byrnesy
n00b

Oddometer: 2
I use either a MSR Pocket Rocket, canister, or a MSR Wisperlite dual fuel.

Both reliable and compact.
Byrnesy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 11:37 AM   #15
darren70
KTM, Ready To Spend

Oddometer: 373
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ockrocket View Post
I have a little folding unit that goes on a gas canister (folds up to about the same size as a wallet), can't remember the brand at the moment, and a cooking pot set to use with it (both bought from Kathmandu a few years back).

Another idea I have floating in my head is to make one of those soft drink can stoves... but better.

I have a couple of stainless steel camping mugs, my plan is to drill small holes around the top of a mug to act as burner jets, then possibly drill two or three holes 10 mm up from the bottom of the mug to act as air inlets.

For fuel I'm thinking of using fire lighter blocks, place one in the bottom of the mug and light it, place a small saucepan or frypan with water/food on top of the mug, which will then cause the flame from the fire lighter to come out the holes, thus creating a burner ring under the pan.

All this works inside my head, the true test will be to see if it works in practice.

My reasoning for the fire starter blocks is that they are safer to carry than gas cylinders and spirit fuels.
The fire starters are readily available in supermarkets/hardware stores/servos/camping supply shops and come in packs of about 24 or so.
By using some form of small cup like container to place in the bottom of the mug the unit could then become a liquid fuel stove if needed as well.

Another fuel option could be to soak a small block of wood in fuel/kerosene and place it in the bottom of the mug/stove and light it (but don't set your bloody bike on fire in the process ).

When I get some spare time I will get around to actually making one to see if it works.
Beter than fire lighters are hexamine tablets, easily available at camping shops but work just how you describe with more heat. I have done a lot of hiking and for long trips a small gas stove like snow peak gigapower stove is my favorite. I have used them down to about -5, you just put the canister in you sleeping bag or jacket for a bit before you use them when its cold. I also like my home made can stove on shorter trips for simplicity.
Some good info here

http://zenstoves.net/

http://www.bushwalking.org.au/clubsi...FAQ_Stoves.htm

I ride a KTM, i'm not a KTM rider...

My 690 Build
darren70 is offline   Reply With Quote