User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-27-2014, 01:41 AM   #1
dirt_bloke OP
No idea

Oddometer: 912
Finke 2015

Who's going to race? Who's going to crew? Who's going to watch?

I've go my holidays booked. Getting a riding crew together and got the list of things to do.

Outline for my trip. Trailer the bikes west, ride to Innaminka, Walkers Crossing to Birdsville, over to Delhousie Springs, up to Finke via Mt Dare.

Spanner the half way for Apprentice who wants to race.

Oodnadatta track to the Finders, have a Schnitzel at Quorn, Broken Hill, Silverton, Milparinka, Cameron Corner, Nockatunga then back home.

So far we've got My Tiger, Brother inlaw on a 950, Nephew on an XT660.

Who are we going to see on the trip?
(yet)
dirt_bloke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 02:14 AM   #2
shendo
Adventurer

Oddometer: 59
Hey DB I reckon its gonna be a busy track, and its gonna be a parking lot of utes and trailers parked at the end of the bitumen. There's 8 of us going at this stage on WR' s, Tennere's ,Xt 660's and a couple of them orange things.
shendo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 03:06 AM   #3
Tiggs
Dreamin of Adventure

Oddometer: 1,211
A mate of mine on a WR has asked me to come along on my XT660 with another mate on a WR. Hopefully the plan will come together.

2011 Yamaha XT660R
Tiggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 03:48 AM   #4
OzJuJu
Team Barracuda

Oddometer: 773
After the epic that was this year I definitely want to do it all again next year.. the only thing is that its a great family event and I would love to take the kids and the hand brake. So my plan is for the missus and a mate of mine to follow us mad bastards up through oodnadatta again. I think I'd enjoy the journey a whole lot more with an unladen bike (The run from Finke to Alice was hard work on a fully laden Tenere)... that way we can carry all the beer we'd ever need
Old 09-27-2014, 04:06 AM   #5
canoli
human

Oddometer: 1,715
I'm all healed up from 2014 attempt so yeah I'll be racing in 2015.
canoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 05:28 PM   #6
kipo
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,199
I'm 90% sure I'll be racing again in 2015. What I ride is the question, the options are:

The DRZ or the WR 250 again. Or if I find a reasonably priced CRF 450 R or a YZ 450. I even had a wild thought about riding my 1980 PE 250 as it's the 40th Anniversary.

Full Member - Quorn Schnitzel Club
kipo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 07:09 PM   #7
ratbike-nath
boozey idiot

Oddometer: 95
I'm hopefully racing. On the XR600. Need to trick up the suspension first, and right now need to rebuild my motor before my little end explodes ruining the whole plan.

I read that because it's the 40th anniversary they will be over-subscribed and there'll be more people wanting to race than there are spaces... Does that mean I should be pretty quick getting my entry in come January?
Old 09-27-2014, 07:50 PM   #8
richo360
Studly Adventurer

I'll be there for The scrutineering, prologue and race days, with a few mates as were all locked in for the APC-X.
Three (at least) 700rr's, plus Tigers, plus 800gs's.
I've got a mate racing on a 500ktm.
Dep on how he does, I may well have a crack next year, as it will be my last chance before I crack the half ton myself.
Old 09-27-2014, 08:04 PM   #9
dirt_bloke OP
No idea

Good stuff, looks like we'll have some inmates to cheer on. Kipo, ride the PE, you know you want to! Canoli, lets not get winged before the race this year! Better pull your finger out Nath, the race will come around fast.

Shendo, have you guys got your route(s) worked out? Where are you parking the utes?

Tiggs have you got the 22.5ltr tank for your XT660R?

OzJuJu is going to have beer waiting for us all

Has anybody got a .gpx file of the Walkers Crossing track? Last year I didn't have the GPS and we got sort of a bit lost. Next year we have no support vehicle, so we cannot afford to ride around in circles checking out the Moonie oil field pumping stations.
I've got a track from Open Street Map on Basecamp, overlaid on Google Earth that looks ok, but just want to be sure.

The build starts tomorrow...
(yet)
dirt_bloke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 09:26 PM   #10
Tiggs
Dreamin of Adventure

Oddometer: 1,211
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirt_bloke View Post
Tiggs have you got the 22.5ltr tank for your XT660R?
No just the standard 15lt but I have two 5lt Rotopax tanks.

2011 Yamaha XT660R
Tiggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 12:57 AM   #11
ratbike-nath
boozey idiot

Oddometer: 95
Can I take the opportunity to ask a few questions that I've had in my head the last couple of months, and haven't yet found answers to?

You need a full national license from the MA to race, right? How much does it cost roughly, and how easy is to get one? I looked into it a bit and you need to take a test if it's your first license. But then I read somewhere else something that said you don't need to take a test if you've got a full road license... Anyone know? And I gather you need to join a club then apply for the license through the club... Are there plenty of clubs who are happy to help people like me, who aren't local and probably won't do any club events?

What's the deal with fuel? So I take it the serious guys use the organised race refueling. Does everybody else get their mates to do fueling duties half way through the course, or do some people just run a large tank and set off with all they need? My 22l tank would easily do the distance, and I wouldn't have thought I'd feel the weight of the fuel too much if filled to say 16l or whatever I'd need.

I've got a mate down in Gippsland who's probably in for racing, and he's got a few mates who are up for either racing or pit crew. How hard is to find a nice spot to camp out there? Easy enough even for a biggish loud group of pissheads to find a spot where we wouldn't be bothering anyone?

I think the plan as it stands is to get there up to a week early for some prerunning, and to make a bit of a holiday out of it. I think I read there's organised prerunning for people on bikes with no rego, but if you've got rego you can run the course as much as you like in the week before the race?

Any other pointers for a first timer? I'm over on holiday from the UK, been here one year, got one more year, and I'm hoping doing the Finke will be the highlight (current highlight is Cape York).
Old 09-28-2014, 03:26 AM   #12
lil nugget
n00b

Oddometer: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by ratbike-nath View Post
Can I take the opportunity to ask a few questions that I've had in my head the last couple of months, and haven't yet found answers to?

You need a full national license from the MA to race, right? Yes How much does it cost roughly, $220 and how easy is to get one? Easy the test is basic I looked into it a bit and you need to take a test if it's your first license. But then I read somewhere else something that said you don't need to take a test if you've got a full road license... Anyone know? You still need to do a basic written test And I gather you need to join a club then apply for the license through the club...You need to be a member of a club to get license Are there plenty of clubs who are happy to help people like me, who aren't local and probably won't do any club events? ANY CLUB WILL HELP

What's the deal with fuel? So I take it the serious guys use the organised race refueling. Does everybody else get their mates to do fueling duties half way through the course, or do some people just run a large tank and set off with all they need? My 22l tank would easily do the distance,I think it would just make it with 22ltr and I wouldn't have thought I'd feel the weight of the fuel too much if filled to say 16l or whatever I'd need.
There is two fuel stops run by volunteers you just pull up there fill you up and clean your goggles
I've got a mate down in Gippsland who's probably in for racing, and he's got a few mates who are up for either racing or pit crew. How hard is to find a nice spot to camp out there? Easy enough even for a biggish loud group of pissheads to find a spot where we wouldn't be bothering anyone?
There is plenty of room to camp its Australia you can get lost out there its that bloody big and every camp is full of pissheads you will fit right in

I think the plan as it stands is to get there up to a week early for some prerunning, and to make a bit of a holiday out of it. I think I read there's organised prerunning for people on bikes with no rego, but if you've got rego you can run the course as much as you like in the week before the race? Rego is not a big deal in pre running just head south before 12 then head north. I raced in 2012 and was going to spend a week pre running did 50 km first morning both my mates stacked bad. So I thought I wont last a week riding like this so spent the week on the piss instead.

Any other pointers for a first timer? I'm over on holiday from the UK, been here one year, got one more year, and I'm hoping doing the Finke will be the highlight (current highlight is Cape York).
As I said don't worry about pre running to much I have never jumped a bike or ridden a woop but by the end of it...... I still couldn't ha ha I was shit but had a fun time its the whole atmosphere that make it. I did 3.03 hr down and 3.04 back came about 120 stacked both days but hey no balls no falls. Just do it. im thinking of going again this year. Cheers Lil nugget
lil nugget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 02:24 PM   #13
dog botherer
Adventurer

Oddometer: 75
I'm in

I am going to throw my hat in the ring for 2015. will be taking the DRZ 400. Hopefully wont be the only DRZ there if Kipo fronts up with one.

Am planning on trailering out there maybe 10 days before with the plan to preride the track a bit, but at postie speeds, not warp speed to get more idea how to deal with the whoops.

I was out there to watch the race 2y ago and thought it looked like a bit of fun. I am sure by the end of the first day I wont be thinking that.

I was planning using club fuel stops, not yet sure about 1 stop or three. will have to see how far I can get in prerunning. The last fuel consumption test I did was on the beach in the soft sand up the top. I got 150km on 10 litres at average of 74km/hr. Will have to see if I use significantly more on the Finke track.

See you there

I do have the walkers crossing track on a GPS file, will look it out if I can find it.

Dan
dog botherer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 02:34 PM   #14
Jono660
Yamafied

Oddometer: 159
Following, I really, really, really want to go.............
Old 09-28-2014, 03:55 PM   #15
kipo
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,199
I only pre ran 50 kms up the track and back on the Thursday before the race. I was a bit worried this wasn't enough but I don't think I would have been any faster even if I'd pre run the track several times. Mainly because I doubt I would have remembered parts of the track and it changes after the cars anyway. I don't have the luxury of the time to go and pre run and so I think if you put that time and effort into getting as physically fit as you can would be more benefit to finishing and achieving a better time. Unless you're out to really compete but most of us mug punters just want to finish.

Full Member - Quorn Schnitzel Club
kipo is offline   Reply With Quote