Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Australia
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-20-2012, 05:37 PM   #931
wiggywildwildwest
cranky bugger

Oddometer: 713
you can also buy the 2mm o/s (685) piston from wossner. how bad does it burn oil ? oil is awfully cheap. another option is to look at the engine breather. it goes in between the air filter and the engine. my theory is that there is a bit of a vacuum here when cruising at speed. which combined with pressure in the engine puts oil into the intake.
Old 02-20-2012, 05:54 PM   #932
oneblackdog
slowest of the slow

Oddometer: 174
quite thick

Quote:
Originally Posted by trokel View Post
Does anyone know who makes Ultra heavy duty tubes for the 17" rear or where is a good place to get them? My bike shop told me he can't get them in that size anymore. I currently have one installed but I have just bought another rear wheel that I want to set up for off road.
The best I could find was the Michelin H/D in 17", but some people manage to squeeze a 18" UHD in there.
Old 02-21-2012, 02:07 AM   #933
trokel
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 920
Quote:
Originally Posted by oneblackdog View Post
The best I could find was the Michelin H/D in 17", but some people manage to squeeze a 18" UHD in there.
The guy at the bike shop did mention Michelin but he seemed to think they were more like a standard tube than a true UHD. I will have to look into it a bit further.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiggywildwildwest
you can also buy the 2mm o/s (685) piston from wossner. how bad does it burn oil ? oil is awfully cheap. another option is to look at the engine breather. it goes in between the air filter and the engine. my theory is that there is a bit of a vacuum here when cruising at speed. which combined with pressure in the engine puts oil into the intake.
I must admit I thought the same thing - Oil is cheap. Although I have been monitoring my oil usage I had stopped worrying about it and admittedly it seemed to be improving. On a 3200km trip to Northern NSW it averaged about 163mls per 1000kms. This was not a problem however on my last ride it used about it used about 600mls to do 1200 kms
Admittedly by this stage the oil was getting towards 5000k's old so I am hoping that with fresh oil it will settle down but as I said the trip to the KLRR will be the telling point. Either way it will be one of many topics to discuss over a few beers at Angoichina

On a different note - Hi Wiggy hows things? Not sure if you remember but I met you back in 09 somewhere around Mungo for the Top Hut ride. You were on the TT.Do you still have it ,hows it going? It reminded me of my old XR600 which was a top bike. I wish I could have kept it as well.
trokel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 02:24 AM   #934
griffo1962
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,409
Quote:
The guy at the bike shop did mention Michelin but he seemed to think they were more like a standard tube than a true UHD. I will have to look into it a bit further.

I must admit I thought the same thing - Oil is cheap. Although I have been monitoring my oil usage I had stopped worrying about it and admittedly it seemed to be improving. On a 3200km trip to Northern NSW it averaged about 163mls per 1000kms. This was not a problem however on my last ride it used about it used about 600mls to do 1200 kms
Admittedly by this stage the oil was getting towards 5000k's old so I am hoping that with fresh oil it will settle down but as I said the trip to the KLRR will be the telling point.
There is a really big UHD Michelin tube (140-150x17)available but it won't fit our skinny" tyres.

The oil consumption does go up rapidly when the oil is that old. By that stage it has sheared quite a lot depending on what oil it is. I try and change mine around the 3,000km mark o avoid he shear problem.
griffo1962 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 02:44 AM   #935
wiggywildwildwest
cranky bugger

Oddometer: 713
Quote:
On a different note - Hi Wiggy hows things? Not sure if you remember but I met you back in 09 somewhere around Mungo for the Top Hut ride. You were on the TT.Do you still have it ,hows it going? It reminded me of my old XR600 which was a top bike. I wish I could have kept it as well.

life is still going ok. the tt is sitting in the shed at the moment. waiting for a top end rebuild and some jetting. i might get it going soon. i'm itching for a ride.
Old 02-21-2012, 03:04 AM   #936
trokel
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 920
Quote:
Originally Posted by griffo1962 View Post
The oil consumption does go up rapidly when the oil is that old. By that stage it has sheared quite a lot depending on what oil it is. I try and change mine around the 3,000km mark o avoid he shear problem.

Fingers XXX that is all it was. That's one of the things about doing longer distance stuff - the oil changes seem to come around so quick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiggywildwildwest
life is still going ok. the tt is sitting in the shed at the moment. waiting for a top end rebuild and some jetting. i might get it going soon. i'm itching for a ride.
MMM projects. I have a boat sitting around that I need to fibreglass a new transom in. I bought it back in May just before my Knee operation then while I was laid up recovering and spending lots of time on ebay I bought another one to use in the mean time . Now I have been bike hunting.For some reason I would like to get an 80's model 750 four to do up. So far I reckon a Honda CBX 750 would do the trick.
trokel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 08:44 PM   #937
shieldsy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 245
Talking IMS tank

I received my new IMS tank from the US on Monday so got around to fitting it to the bike today. Relatively easy job and holds about 30 litres. I also fitted a gravity feed fuel tap instead of using the standard vacuum operated tap. Just need a new rear shock now and the project is finished

shieldsy screwed with this post 02-29-2012 at 12:43 AM
shieldsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 01:28 PM   #938
Hugheytj
headin out

Oddometer: 62
Replacing a Radiator

Hi there,

I'm looking to replace my radiator which has some crash damage from the PO.

Has anyone done this and where did you source your replacement.

My options are 1. from the wreckers
2. new oem from Kawasaki Aust
3. aftermarket? is there such a thing
4. Overseas or USA such as this, http://www.dual-star.com/index2/Bran...20radiator.htm
5. Someone reading this has a spare tucked away in the shed that they want to sell.

Any advice much appreciated,
Thanks Hughey
Hugheytj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 03:32 PM   #939
Dan_B
Sunny Coast KLR'r

Oddometer: 235
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugheytj View Post
My options are
1. from the wreckers
4. Overseas or USA such as this, http://www.dual-star.com/index2/Bran...20radiator.htm
5. Someone reading this has a spare tucked away in the shed that they want to sell.
6. http://findapart.com.au/
Old 03-13-2012, 11:53 PM   #940
Mr.Farkles
Adventurer

Oddometer: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugheytj View Post

My options are 1. from the wreckers

Any advice much appreciated,
Thanks Hughey

Try these guys. Top service.

Bike Rads

Motor Cycles, Parts & Accessories-Retail - Dandenong, VIC

59 Bennet St, Dandenong VIC 3175, Australia
(03) 9793 2798
Old 03-14-2012, 12:54 AM   #941
thecanoeguy
just a yobbo from oz

Oddometer: 1,846
mylers in the states

http://www.motorcycleradiators.com/n...product_id=324

what model bike is it ,they only go up to 07 ,but i reckon one of these would suit a later as they are more efficient than a stock one ,then you need to get some crash bars or a safari tank to protect it

thecanoeguy screwed with this post 03-14-2012 at 01:16 AM
thecanoeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 02:47 AM   #942
Hugheytj
headin out

Oddometer: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_B View Post
Thanks Dan B
Hugheytj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 05:47 AM   #943
Fergy_klr_650
n00b

Oddometer: 4
First tyre

Hi I've been following the forum for awhile and I'm looking for any thoughts on the best rear tyre for my klr. Doing about 70% dirt
Fergy_klr_650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 01:39 PM   #944
Fogo72
I Bleed Green

Oddometer: 1,487
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fergy_klr_650 View Post
Hi I've been following the forum for awhile and I'm looking for any thoughts on the best rear tyre for my klr. Doing about 70% dirt
Mitas E07
Fogo72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 04:26 AM   #945
griffo1962
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,409
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fergy_klr_650 View Post
Dunlop D606
griffo1962 is online now   Reply With Quote