Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-23-2014, 10:34 AM   #1
sirius815 OP
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Question Missing nut!? (R1200S)

Hi everybody,

Just a week ago I became a proud owner of an essentially new R1200S - '07 Shine Yellow, 2728 miles. Score!

Coming from a very very torque-y Buell XB12R, I was pleasantly surprised by the BMW. The ~30 extra HP are immediately noticeable. It is very comfortable and very corner happy :) Controls take some getting used to, but that's probably true when moving between bikes, especially between different brands.

The bike is 99% stock, only a set of Helibars and a Corbin seat are the "modifications". It's a very quiet bike. Too quiet in fact, up until yesterday morning...after coming back from picking up an oil filter...

http://youtu.be/avIJCJ-gOVE

:eek:

I was figuring a possible cam chain tensioner failed, but after talking to a friend of mine, a R1200GS owner, he said that the tensioner in the 1200's never really go bad and to double check the valve adjustment. (It was done last year by the PO, about 400 miles ago). Here's what I found:

What???

So what I've done so far:
Drained the oil twice hoping the nut would appear - no luck
Bought a scope (9mm head) and inspected the cam chain passage - no luck
Attempted to stick it up the oil drain - no luck (there's a piece in the way - head's too big)

I'm currently looking for a nice flexible magnet retrieval tool that I can try to stick into the sump and try to find the nut. I found some on Amazon that may work and have put them on order. Also have the maintenance manual on the way.

I may have to remove the piece up the oil drain hole (destroy) to get anything up there and try to find the nut....

Any ideas?

Ben K.
sirius815 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 11:03 AM   #2
def
I've little to say

Oddometer: 7,449
Buy a new nut, set the valve lash, ride the bike...the nut will never be seen again and no harm will befall your engine.
def is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 12:46 PM   #3
Beecher Snipes
Fool

Oddometer: 136
If you have not found it with a diligent search forget it. I agree with the above. The oil pump pick up tube has a screen. Don't be tempted to over torque these because of this experience.
Beecher Snipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 01:05 PM   #4
Highwood
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 109
Don't Worry

Dropped the same nut into my '07 GSA.
Rode it another 25,000kms until it was written off in a flood.
No issues.
Forget about it.
Highwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 06:18 AM   #5
bobw
Harden the phuck up

Oddometer: 710
I will take the POS off your hands, trade my 05 RT with 60Ks, new Wilbers, etc.

j/k +1 the above advice, sweet find indeed! I'd go over everything doing brake fluid to re torquing fasteners, wheels, etc. She's low miles, but still enjoyed some birthdays and going over her will be good maintenance wise as well as give you an appreciation of some great build and engineering quality (also a few WTF did the German's do it this way ).

Not sure if you have shop a manual, but Jim Van Baden (JVB) on this site has some great CDs for all you wanted to know about working on R bikes, but were afraid to ask.

Cheers
bobw is offline   Reply With Quote