User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-04-2015, 06:57 PM   #1
sw0ggd0gg OP
n00b

Oddometer: 7
Need new bike! I'm googled out!

Been a WHIIIILE since on interwebs looking at bikes! or riding for that matter. So here is my experience! I have ridden many dirt bikes 4 - wheelers, started off steet with a 2003 CRF230F converted. With hope and dreams of touring...until i got it onto the street. So then I "upgraded" to a 2009 KLX250SF motard. Fun, took it to go kart tracks, "toured" from Cinci, ohio to new york state Kinzu dam area, and my taint was squirm non the less. So I sold that and was like oh yeah big boy, 2011 KLR650E. Loved the fairings, the comfort, but found I less enjoyed it all around. Wasn't awesome feeling to just go for a spirited ride, SUCKED in the woods, not great on trails or even my yard. It was half way in the middle of everything. Then I had a lust for POWER, so I went to a 2013 honda CB1000r fighter. I rode that multiple times all around Ohio, cinci to Youngstown. I put a ton of miles on it within a short time. I loved the power. Put it got me into so many close calls, and needs to prove the power.

My wife has since joined the NAVY and I am in search of a new bike. With career changes (unemployed) I need to get something and keep it but be happy. We are going to be in multiple places, my next place is guam. I want power but I want dirt and I want track days, like all in one. its impossible.

The KLX was the most fun for go kart tracking. The klr was best for Long distance. and the CB seemed to be the safest as far as braking and accel.

I am thinking of a another KLR, XR650, or DR. I wish a CRF450 was tourable but no way shape or form. I looked at the KTM690 Enduro and 500 EXC but, mainttence scares and dealer support around increases the scare. BMW, well eh I dunno. I love my BMW car but off road crash = $$$. The KLR crash I had was $300 in plastic.

I guess I want something that I could mod, swap some wheels, dirt or track, crash and not be pissed or broke $$$? I am really at the point of not wanting to modify it too much. The get the maximum power from alot of the base bikes I could have bought a KTM.

Thanks and Im waiting for the

sw0ggd0gg screwed with this post 01-04-2015 at 07:11 PM
sw0ggd0gg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 07:40 PM   #2
whiteman
"Meow Mix"

Oddometer: 76
I have rode several KLRs old and new, KTM 690 enduro, DRZ400, XR650L, and a KTM 500exc . I have owned a XR650R, KTM 950se, and a CRF450. All which have been street ridden.

KLRS, DRZ and XRLs will be running when dust and cockroaches are all that's left, but they get boring real fast in my opinion. Just not enough gusto!

All the KTM's will be reliable but will require more frequent preventative maintenance, which is a trade off for there grin factor. The fact that they have a 6 speed gear box is a huge + in my book.

The CRF450, lets see... Plated motocross bike = instant hooligan antics, after 5 days of commuting I realized I was having way to much fun for this to last long. I ride 1k a month and this bike will not last at that rate. Great for weekend fun within 100 miles from home and track days.

The XR650r was most impressive, good power with outstanding reliability. An 01 model bought used in 13' from original owner for $1800. It had clearly been well used, owner reported that he had raced the local desert 100 every year since he had bought it new. He claimed to never of had the motor apart more than enough for valve adjustments. I plated it and installed an trail tech computer... I have 23K miles on it since 13', oil changes and 4 valve adjustments and it still starts 2-3 kicks. I tip my hat to the XR650R, I am no slouch when I ride her either. Oh but how I long for one more gear.

Al that said the KTM 690Enduro will most likely be my next bike.
whiteman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 09:05 PM   #3
Dave W.
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 142
Wait until you get to Guam. There is a giant AF base and the Naval station is good size. The people coming and going (deployments, transfers, separating) will have a good selection of cheap bikes available.

Enjoy Guam, get to Japan and Hawaii while ya'll are there. Say hello to the Viking strip club when you have time.

Dave W. screwed with this post 01-04-2015 at 09:11 PM
Dave W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 01:15 AM   #4
Jimmy the Heater
Tilting the Horizon

Oddometer: 1,895
A bike for Guam is going to be vastly different than a bike for the states. Wikipedia says it's only 31.7 miles long. Hell, I could ride the most uncomfortable bike I've ever owned that far.
Jimmy the Heater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 02:31 AM   #5
Rox
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 191
For a bike in a place like Guam you might as well 86 the track day crap..
Small cc enduro is the right track . Japanese too. You go Euro in a place like Guam you're kinda screwed with parts and stuff.
A DR-Z 400 would be proper. KLR650 even better . Any of these with an extra set of rims with street tires and youre set.
Rox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 07:36 AM   #6
sw0ggd0gg OP
n00b

All of your guys' responses where helpful. Looks like there is one dealer in Guam, I guess it's a huge motorsport land. They're building an F1 circuit?

As far as a bike, I always buy New, because of safety (in my head). Im thinking if I can get a XR650L Cheap (used) I may just do that. Plans would be stock bore, high comp piston, webcam race cam, and the MSD 4217 Ignition, pipe. Blah. Theres no reason why I would buy new and add the cost of power adders, it would be the same as a new KTM. The XR seems to be the lightest of the big three.

I would really like to get a KTM 500 EXC. That would be basically the same power, wouldnt have to touch much but add a set of wheels. Besides the said maint.
Old 01-05-2015, 07:39 AM   #7
sw0ggd0gg OP
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave W. View Post
Wait until you get to Guam. There is a giant AF base and the Naval station is good size. The people coming and going (deployments, transfers, separating) will have a good selection of cheap bikes available.

Enjoy Guam, get to Japan and Hawaii while ya'll are there. Say hello to the Viking strip club when you have time.
Ive been to Hawaii before. I liked it. Im from Key West, so any Island Is like home. Japan, Ill wait to see if her career takes us there. I dunno If i really wanna deal within Japan. Our next stop is supposed to be Italy. I say these things like I know but here department is only like 11 people, so she knows the rotation. I guess there is some nice Gothic Style clubs in guam now. I just dont want squaids.
Old 01-05-2015, 07:40 AM   #8
sw0ggd0gg OP
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy the Heater View Post
A bike for Guam is going to be vastly different than a bike for the states. Wikipedia says it's only 31.7 miles long. Hell, I could ride the most uncomfortable bike I've ever owned that far.
Yeah i know, and im debating on what to get, b/c they have alot of riding options out there, as far as small circuit.
Old 01-05-2015, 07:41 AM   #9
sw0ggd0gg OP
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rox View Post
For a bike in a place like Guam you might as well 86 the track day crap..
Small cc enduro is the right track . Japanese too. You go Euro in a place like Guam you're kinda screwed with parts and stuff.
A DR-Z 400 would be proper. KLR650 even better . Any of these with an extra set of rims with street tires and youre set.
They have a supermoto circuit and a MX circuit. Even a trophy truck/buggy circuit. Seems odd.
Old 01-05-2015, 07:45 AM   #10
sw0ggd0gg OP
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteman View Post
I have rode several KLRs old and new, KTM 690 enduro, DRZ400, XR650L, and a KTM 500exc . I have owned a XR650R, KTM 950se, and a CRF450. All which have been street ridden.

KLRS, DRZ and XRLs will be running when dust and cockroaches are all that's left, but they get boring real fast in my opinion. Just not enough gusto!

All the KTM's will be reliable but will require more frequent preventative maintenance, which is a trade off for there grin factor. The fact that they have a 6 speed gear box is a huge + in my book.

The CRF450, lets see... Plated motocross bike = instant hooligan antics, after 5 days of commuting I realized I was having way to much fun for this to last long. I ride 1k a month and this bike will not last at that rate. Great for weekend fun within 100 miles from home and track days.

The XR650r was most impressive, good power with outstanding reliability. An 01 model bought used in 13' from original owner for $1800. It had clearly been well used, owner reported that he had raced the local desert 100 every year since he had bought it new. He claimed to never of had the motor apart more than enough for valve adjustments. I plated it and installed an trail tech computer... I have 23K miles on it since 13', oil changes and 4 valve adjustments and it still starts 2-3 kicks. I tip my hat to the XR650R, I am no slouch when I ride her either. Oh but how I long for one more gear.

Al that said the KTM 690Enduro will most likely be my next bike.
I might go with the XR then. My wife likes to ride two up once in a while. Seems like the horse to do so.
Old 01-05-2015, 12:56 PM   #11
Birdmove
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,721
I live on the big island of Hawaii, not far from the encroaching lava flow. The Honda XR650R is a dirt bike and cannot be made street legal here. The XR650L has a big following and a huge thread here. But that seat is 37" high. Also, the tank is very small, especially considering that some guys are getting gas mileage in the mid to high 30's. The KLR has the huge gas tank, decent rear rack, and the fairing and plastic hand guards, so it comes pretty well spec'd. The DRZ400S has a seat that is just shy of the XR650L's. The KLR has the "doohicky" issue to look into. The DR650 seems like a just about bulletproof engine, and is a bit shorter. The KLR650 I had (2005 model) averaged about 54 mpg day in and day out. Never used any oil. Was as comfortable of a motorcycle as I've ever ridden. Would cruise at 65-70 no problem with me on it. The early model fairing does provide some protection, and I rode a lot in the rain and cold.

If you want a dual sport, and need to be able to ride two up now and then, and want the easiest to maintain, the DR650 might be a great choice. Air cooled, screw adjusted valves= easy, known very good reliability, lower seat than the DRZS and XR650L. There is huge thread on these here also. The DR650 beats the KLR650 for long term ease of maintenance in my opinion. Screw adjusted valves are simple and quick to do. Shim under bucket are way more difficult, and you have to buy the correct shims when you adjust the valves.
Birdmove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 01:43 PM   #12
Sparrowhawk
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,141
Find a few posts by an inmate named teamftb or something similar. He has found joy with KTM's EXCs.

Rumors of KTMs being unreliable are untrue. An LC4 or EXC will take you as far as you want with routine maintenance. Plus, maintenance is easy. Dealer support may be limited compared to the big four but the internet and parcel services eliminate that as a barrier.

Sparrowhawk screwed with this post 01-05-2015 at 01:48 PM
Sparrowhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 01:04 PM   #13
sw0ggd0gg OP
n00b

again i appreciate everything. i called Pro Cycle In guam. I guess there, they can plate any Mx bike off the floor. Seems odd. Since the island is so small, I may just go ahead and get a CRF, would like a KXF but there is no stator what so ever. Ill just have to see when I get there. CRF450X might be the ticket. That or the 650L. Or i may go in left field and get a shadow to put around. For me n the wife. Im bummed about not being able to get a KTM.
Old 01-24-2015, 06:46 PM   #14
boatdriver1790
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by sw0ggd0gg View Post
again i appreciate everything. i called Pro Cycle In guam. I guess there, they can plate any Mx bike off the floor. Seems odd. Since the island is so small, I may just go ahead and get a CRF, would like a KXF but there is no stator what so ever. Ill just have to see when I get there. CRF450X might be the ticket. That or the 650L. Or i may go in left field and get a shadow to put around. For me n the wife. Im bummed about not being able to get a KTM.
I live here on Guam. Not sure what shop you're referring as I haven't heard of a Pro Cycle here. Maybe you meant Cycles Plus?

I have two KLX 250s. One "S" and one "SF". I pick and choose which I wanna ride each day. I take the supermoto when I wanna tour the southern half of the island which has great scenery, nice twisties, and little traffic. I take the "S" when it's time to explore. Guam is a great place and I'm sure you'll have a blast. Very little aftermarket support here and parts are hard to come by with only two shops - Kawi and Yamaha. Both are crazy expensive. I would NOT wait till you get here to buy a bike if you're planning to buy new. Even used are going for new prices.

PM me if you have any other questions!
boatdriver1790 is offline   Reply With Quote