User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-20-2014, 10:11 PM   #1
dino1 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 198
Choice between engines

I'm looking at two bikes but to make it more interesting I'd like to offer up just the engines and see what you think.

First choice is triumph 955i probably the one I'll go with, but from 2001 to 2006

Second choice and a long shot from left field is the 904cc air cooled ducati with fuel injection, this model is a 1999

Discuss
Old 11-20-2014, 11:59 PM   #2
hound dogger
ain't growin' up

Oddometer: 46
Triumph triple any day of the week. Had two and loved em.
hound dogger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 06:37 AM   #3
Paebr332
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 929
Both are sweet engines. Very different characteristics, but very nice. Plenty of usable torque and an oh-so-sweet engine sound from either one.

I am currently in the Ducati boat, but if I can find a good deal on a Street Triple R I would jump into that boat in a heartbeat.
Paebr332 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 07:16 AM   #4
jehu
∩HƏſ

Oddometer: 3,688
That Duc engine is in my Cagiva and I love it.
Old 11-21-2014, 07:36 AM   #5
kaput13
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 485
Both engines will delight but they are completely different in character.

My 95 old 900 Ducati was carbed but the EFI ones also feel somewhat coarse below 4 grand in the higher gears and will snatch. Four thou and up is bliss but over time the poor low rpm behavior got on my nerves but lots of owners have no issues with this. Vibration is the kind that feels involving and does not grate.

Servicing is straightforward but valve adjustments are more difficult initially but once you master the dark art it becomes a very satisfying event that you actually look forward to. Sound and feel of course is superb but...

The triple sound to my ears is even more intoxicating especially with aftermarket pipes. It sounds coarse at idle but smooths out at speed.

Tuning of the 955i fuel injection can be done by downloading a free program and purchasing a special cable that hooks up to the ECU. Mine is a 99. Above 01 is a different engine. The valve adjustment is no longer a matter of using a tool because in order to re shim you will need to pop the cams but it is not that big a deal.

Once you get the technique down the Ducati is easier and less time consuming to service. With the trumpet you need to remove a lot of real estate to get access.

Both engines are very satisfying.
kaput13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 02:55 PM   #6
OConnor
Bad juju

Oddometer: 3,519
The Triumph triple has performance in the bag though I personally feel the air-cooled Ducati twin easily beats it in beauty of design and sound. I miss mine.
2000 SV650 track bike
1971 CB175 vintage racer inabox
OConnor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 04:39 PM   #7
Hatley Rocket
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 311
90 twins are fun, and sound cool, but the howl from that triple is just a cut above. The ergos on a tiger are good also. I put on lowering pegs, bar risers and protapers. More fun than one should be allowed to have on a sub 5k bike.
Hatley Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 05:40 PM   #8
trc.rhubarb
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,961
Love my 900ss motor but no experience on the triple. One day I'll own a girly tiger. I really like the bike and the sound. There were some issues on the 900 with head bolts, so do a little research there to make sure you don't buy a bum motor.
Old 11-22-2014, 06:29 PM   #9
KMC1
There is no spoon.

Oddometer: 2,437
Triumph all day long. I had a 955i with 25k miles on it, never had a single problem with that bike. Not even so much as a leaky fork seal. It was a sweet bike and had an awesome character when accelerating.

An Overview of the United States National Debt: http://www.davemanuel.com/us-national-debt-clock.php
KMC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 08:32 PM   #10
Kikemon
Poseur

Oddometer: 246
I have had both. I like both and both have lots of character but are very different. My short answer is that the Triumph triple is the best all around sporty road bike engine that I have ever experienced in 38 yrs riding >20 bikes owned.
Kikemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 08:28 PM   #11
dino1 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 198
Just to clarify I never said these were "road" bikes.

Actually looking at a tiger or a gran canyon.

Guess I could put this over in the beast section but was more interested in the engine per se then the whole package.
Old 11-23-2014, 08:46 PM   #12
rocker59
diplomatico di moto

Oddometer: 15,618
I worked in a Triumph/Ducati/Moto Guzzi dealership back when those bikes were new. I rode the 955 Daytonas, I rode the Ducati Monsters and Supersports, I rode the Guzzis.

On one particular day, one of the owners and I took a demo 955 Daytona and a '99 Supersport on a 400 mile lunch ride in The Ozarks to do a back to back comparison.

While the Triumph Daytona 955 is a fine motorcycle, I just never really liked the bikes. Tank too wide between my knees. Odd peg and bar locations (for me). The engine and transmission are sweet, and the bikes handle well. Our dealership owned a CMRA endurance racer and sponsored a race team in '99. They did real well with the bike.

For me, the Ducati Supersport is one of those perfect sporting motorcycles. Light, Narrow, Wonderful Engine, good handling, FUN to ride. I put a couple thousand miles on that '99 Supersport 900 and really enjoyed it.

I've also put in some time on the Monsters. Great bikes.

I'd pick the Ducati without a second thought...
IBA #24873
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt
rocker59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 08:46 PM   #13
rocker59
diplomatico di moto

Oddometer: 15,618
Quote:
Originally Posted by dino1 View Post
Just to clarify I never said these were "road" bikes.

Actually looking at a tiger or a gran canyon.

Guess I could put this over in the beast section but was more interested in the engine per se then the whole package.
Well, that kind of changes things.

Get the Tiger.
IBA #24873
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt
rocker59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 10:53 AM   #14
chadhargis
Too tall for sportbikes

Oddometer: 2,106
I've never owned a triple, but the air-cooled Ducati is fantastic. I love that engine.
Old 12-16-2014, 12:48 AM   #15
stopwatch1
West'n my head

Oddometer: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaput13 View Post
Both engines will delight but they are completely different in character.

My 95 old 900 Ducati was carbed but the EFI ones also feel somewhat coarse below 4 grand in the higher gears and will snatch. Four thou and up is bliss but over time the poor low rpm behavior got on my nerves but lots of owners have no issues with this. Vibration is the kind that feels involving and does not grate.

Servicing is straightforward but valve adjustments are more difficult initially but once you master the dark art it becomes a very satisfying event that you actually look forward to. Sound and feel of course is superb but...

The triple sound to my ears is even more intoxicating especially with aftermarket pipes. It sounds coarse at idle but smooths out at speed.

Tuning of the 955i fuel injection can be done by downloading a free program and purchasing a special cable that hooks up to the ECU. Mine is a 99. Above 01 is a different engine. The valve adjustment is no longer a matter of using a tool because in order to re shim you will need to pop the cams but it is not that big a deal.

Once you get the technique down the Ducati is easier and less time consuming to service. With the trumpet you need to remove a lot of real estate to get access.

Both engines are very satisfying.
I put 78,000 trouble free miles on an '01 955 Tiger and am currently putting miles on an '06 Tiger. Fantastic do-it-all bikes (motor) I highly recommend. As for the valve adjustments for the '01 thru '06 models... they are shim over bucket design so pulling the cams is not necessary if you want to use "the tool".
stopwatch1 is offline   Reply With Quote