User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-01-2008, 07:47 AM   #136
nicekid81
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 139
Cry

Just reading this thread makes me miss my ol' '01 SV650 I left in the States . . .
nicekid81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 09:06 AM   #137
disconnected OP
ultra runner

Oddometer: 6,475
I recently bought a 07 GSXR shock for the rear, I am going to try Sonic Springs up Front... . Traxxion makes some cartridge inserts too, I still have not decided.

greg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dahlin
I just found this thread, nice, now I can read up on both my bikes at the same forum.

I have a 2006 SV650S (bought new in April this year), stock except for a LeoVincie exhaust.
I use it for commuting, I have 75km to work so 150km's round trip (if I go on the higway). About 10000 km's on the bike so far.
Normally I take the twisting country roads home, the bike is nice but the front fork is not as good as the rest of the bike.
Has anyone tried to swap the fork springs or does everybody change the compleate fork?
Old 09-02-2008, 08:39 AM   #138
Snaildrake
prowling the SW since '64

Oddometer: 163
GSXR forks? Not necessarily

Quote:
Originally Posted by disconnected
I recently bought a 07 GSXR shock for the rear, I am going to try Sonic Springs up Front... . Traxxion makes some cartridge inserts too, I still have not decided.

greg

Quote:
Normally I take the twisting country roads home, the bike is nice but the front fork is not as good as the rest of the bike.
Has anyone tried to swap the fork springs or does everybody change the compleate fork?
Dahlin, I've only had my SV for six weeks, but I knew right away I would have to improve the suspension. My best resource is svrider.com. That site seems to be full of young guys who want to make their SVs into a GSXR, though some are commuters and tour like me. I only changed my preload and fork oil so far and haven't done all the changes. But the picture I get on fork upgrades is this:

1. Change springs & fork oil - commuting, touring, riding on a budget
2. Improved damper rod and cartridge inserts - sport riding
3. GSXR forks - track days and racing

I have heard from many riders who say their forks are much better with just level 1 changes. One important factor is your weight: the more you weigh over 150 pounds or 70 kilos, the more important the upgrades are.

For my mild town and country riding I decided to get a ZX10R rear shock and upgrade the fork springs if needed - but I only weigh 150 lbs. I'll do it this winter when parts are cheaper. I'd rather spend USD$500 on a Sargent seat and a windshield.

Of course if you really need a project for the long cold winter and have spare money in your bank account, go ahead and do the forks - I'm sure they work really well. ~S
Snaildrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 03:31 PM   #139
Marvin_ADV
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 433
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaildrake
Dahlin, I've only had my SV for six weeks, but I knew right away I would have to improve the suspension. My best resource is svrider.com. That site seems to be full of young guys who want to make their SVs into a GSXR, though some are commuters and tour like me. I only changed my preload and fork oil so far and haven't done all the changes. But the picture I get on fork upgrades is this:

1. Change springs & fork oil - commuting, touring, riding on a budget
2. Improved damper rod and cartridge inserts - sport riding
3. GSXR forks - track days and racing

I have heard from many riders who say their forks are much better with just level 1 changes. One important factor is your weight: the more you weigh over 150 pounds or 70 kilos, the more important the upgrades are.

For my mild town and country riding I decided to get a ZX10R rear shock and upgrade the fork springs if needed - but I only weigh 150 lbs. I'll do it this winter when parts are cheaper. I'd rather spend USD$500 on a Sargent seat and a windshield.

Of course if you really need a project for the long cold winter and have spare money in your bank account, go ahead and do the forks - I'm sure they work really well. ~S
I just did the racetech emulators ($130), heavier springs ($110), and heavier fork oil ($10) in my SV and it makes a world of difference. I was skeptical at first but for about $250- $300 and 4 hours of your time you can have a nice upgraded set of forks for the SV that work very well, even on the track. Springs and oil is only about $100 if you go with SonicSprings who are a sponsor for svrider.com and is a good upgrade from stock.

A lot of folks go with a ZX-10, 636, or GSXR shock as inexpensive rear shock upgrades, the 06 and up ZX-10 shock seems to be the front runner on Gen2 bikes because of very minimal mods when installing (the reservoir is more parallel and fits easier). Some of the other shocks require cutting the battery box. Would be good but not neccessary to get one rebuilt for a few hundred $ before you install as the word is they wear out pretty quick.

I went with a rebuidable aftermarket shock with preload. ride height, and rebound adjustability, for about $500 shipped from Cogent Dynamics (they don't advertise the SV work but are known for nice Ducati and KLR shocks). You can go to double and triple adjustability for another couple hundred $. Installation was easy and it was built to my weight and riding needs (commuting, spirited riding, and track days). Traxxion does a Penske Sport shock for a few $ more (less than $100) if you want brand name.

Marvin_ADV screwed with this post 09-02-2008 at 03:36 PM
Marvin_ADV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 12:03 AM   #140
Dahlin
Need more time...

Oddometer: 166
Thanks for the suspension input.

Since I live in Sweden, I would like to buy parts in the EU, otherwise shipping and customs will make the price go painfully high, even if the dollar has a low exchange rate to our Sek at the moment.

The bike is not a project bike, it is my daily ride to work so I do not intend to do more than springs and oil in the fork (I spend my bike money on tires for the SuperEnduro).
We have the company Öhlins here in Sweden, I will se what they have to offer.

I am a big person, almost 2 meters tall and 240lb / 110kg with leathers, bots and helmet so the need for a fork upgrade is clear.

I know that the SV is not a GSXR, CBR or similar but a little better suspension is needed.

I will look at svrider.com, thanks for the link.
2012 Husaberg FE390
Dahlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 07:12 AM   #141
Marvin_ADV
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 433
Quote:
Thanks for the suspension input.

Since I live in Sweden, I would like to buy parts in the EU, otherwise shipping and customs will make the price go painfully high, even if the dollar has a low exchange rate to our Sek at the moment.

The bike is not a project bike, it is my daily ride to work so I do not intend to do more than springs and oil in the fork (I spend my bike money on tires for the SuperEnduro).
We have the company Öhlins here in Sweden, I will se what they have to offer.

I am a big person, almost 2 meters tall and 240lb / 110kg with leathers, bots and helmet so the need for a fork upgrade is clear.

I know that the SV is not a GSXR, CBR or similar but a little better suspension is needed.

I will look at svrider.com, thanks for the link.
Yep, the fork upgrade at your weight is pretty much mandatory and will help a lot. I think Rich at Sonic Springs ships overseas and it may still be cheaper than ohlins. He is a member on svrider and you can email him. Nice guy. SV is a great bike, Good luck.
Old 09-03-2008, 03:30 PM   #142
Greencountry
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 157
Quote:
There is enough pressure on my hands riding my SV naked that my thumb arthritis is bothering me, and I am working hard to see what I can do in the way of different bars, grips. Above 50mph there is enough air to help hold up the torso, but slower than that you're either using your core body muscles to stay up, or leaning on the bars, or both.
Snail, I had the same problems on my SVS and made the mistake of making my first real ride on it be a 300+ mi round trip. My left thumb still hurts almost a week later, and my left elbow has a weird pain in it too. Have you heard about the Master Yoda Riding Position? I've been practicing it since I got back and it helps a LOT.

http://midliferider.com/blog/2008/02...t-master-yoda/
Greencountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 07:34 PM   #143
Jason ON
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
My 05 that was wrecked on my trip to Mexico:

And my new 07 at Kenosha Pass:

Jason ON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 08:38 AM   #144
squidhunter
suck-squeeze-bang-blow

Oddometer: 305
I'll throw in my $0.02 regarding suspension upgrades on the SV. I upgraded my forks to GSXR 750 forks and the shock with a 636 shock. The front end conversion cost roughly $800. Expensive? Absolutely. But I turned around and sold the stock SV parts on Ebay for $800, breaking even on the conversion. The shock cost me $30. The conversion completely transformed the bike and I recommend it to anyone who is looking to make their SV handle. The suspension is the only real weak area on an otherwise incredible bike. Luckily, their are several options on how to fix it.
Old 09-04-2008, 05:56 PM   #145
ndmiller
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 114
New 08 SV650SF

Just picked it up last weekend put on 200 mile, short shifting at 6K for break in and changed the oil tonight. Planning 400 miles this weekend with every 100 opening up another 1000 rpm . By 600 miles is scream city 11000 rpm and time for another oil change.

BTW Walmart carries filters wrenches and oil, so there really is no more excuse for not changing your oil anymore.

Farkles Planned Soon
Pazzo Levers
Ohlins Rear
Racetech Front
SW Moto Quick release rack
Givi V46 Topcase

Farkles Planned For Later
Aftermarket Seat
Convertibars
SW Moto quick release luggage racks
Givi V41 Bags
Pilot Road 2 replacements
Staintune Slip On

Noah
ndmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 07:01 AM   #146
Fish70
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Mine
Old 09-05-2008, 09:51 AM   #147
Snaildrake

comfort = try many things

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greencountry
Snail, I had the same problems on my SVS and made the mistake of making my first real ride on it be a 300+ mi round trip. My left thumb still hurts almost a week later, and my left elbow has a weird pain in it too. Have you heard about the Master Yoda Riding Position? I've been practicing it since I got back and it helps a LOT.

http://midliferider.com/blog/2008/02...t-master-yoda/
Hey Green-
Yes, I have worked on my core muscles some, and the stuff on body position is important (so is excercise, which I need more of - hit the pool to swim this AM). For me, though the stock N bars didn't work. I am trying the BikeMaster Daytona bend, and so far it has improved comfort 100%. They're 3" wider, taller, and pull back an inch or two more. There is still a mild forward lean, but very little weight on my hands. No long rides yet, but around town I have no pain. If I were designing the ergonomics from scratch, I'd move the pegs forward some, being essentially a (gasp) tourist.

Along with lowering the pegs, I can now see that this bike is going to work for me, and worth more work and $$ for a seat and better suspension pieces. Having a motorcycle is so cool! ~S
Old 09-05-2008, 11:18 AM   #148
Greencountry
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Hey Green-
Yes, I have worked on my core muscles some, and the stuff on body position is important (so is excercise, which I need more of - hit the pool to swim this AM). For me, though the stock N bars didn't work. I am trying the BikeMaster Daytona bend, and so far it has improved comfort 100%. They're 3" wider, taller, and pull back an inch or two more. There is still a mild forward lean, but very little weight on my hands. No long rides yet, but around town I have no pain. If I were designing the ergonomics from scratch, I'd move the pegs forward some, being essentially a (gasp) tourist.

Along with lowering the pegs, I can now see that this bike is going to work for me, and worth more work and $$ for a seat and better suspension pieces. Having a motorcycle is so cool! ~S
That's awesome, can you take a pic of the bike with the Daytona handlebar?
Old 09-05-2008, 03:03 PM   #149
Snaildrake

I can only pic my nose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greencountry
That's awesome, can you take a pic of the bike with the Daytona handlebar?
I will post photos as soon as I get a chance - out of town until Saturday nite.

I wish I could say that the cables were long enough for the Daytonas. Others on svrider say yes, so far I still get a higher throttle on full lock left and a tight wire harness to the right. It's driveable though. ~S
Old 09-05-2008, 03:06 PM   #150
Greencountry
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
I will post photos as soon as I get a chance - out of town until Saturday nite.

I wish I could say that the cables were long enough for the Daytonas. Others on svrider say yes, so far I still get a higher throttle on full lock left and a tight wire harness to the right. It's driveable though. ~S
Ooo, if you're have trouble with the naked's cables I think the Daytona is out of the question for me. I have an S and the S's throttle, brake, and clutch cables are shorter than the N's. I got a longer brake cable cuz I installed a handlebar riser kit, but the S cables were long enough for my handlebar. For sure they won't be for yours.

Have you tried rerouting them in different places?