Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-22-2009, 03:22 PM   #241
exoff-roadgoat
Will ride for food

Oddometer: 4,132
Good evening SVers. I'm looking at a 3000mi. 2000 SV and was wondering if they have any issues that year. I'm looking in the three to four thousand dollar range for a city bike and have narrowed down to the SV 650 and the Dr650. Thanks
exoff-roadgoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 06:25 PM   #242
lowcarb
n00b

Oddometer: 2
SV650 or DR650 for city?

Only 3 years of riding under my tires, but I've had both bikes and I definitely prefer the DR for city riding. The DR is a blast as a commuter.
lowcarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 07:51 PM   #243
Jimmy the Heater
Tilting the Horizon

Oddometer: 1,831
How did I miss this thread?? Just chiming in with my 03 SV1KN
Best motor ever! Worst seat ever! hehe
Jimmy the Heater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 04:21 AM   #244
duckman
"sic gorgiamus allos

Oddometer: 862
having owned both a 04 dl1000 and a 03 sv1000 i feel the sv motor is more fun
and no do rags
'we gladly feast on those who would subdue us'
duckman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 01:16 PM   #245
skortch
mmm... curvy

Oddometer: 600
If anyone is interested, mine is for sale...
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=456777
Old 04-27-2009, 04:57 AM   #246
Shalabi
Adventurer

Oddometer: 74
Hey guys, I'm an Kawi Ninja EX500 owner who is looking at getting a SV650 naked bike as a next bike but I have a few questions.

1. The most bothersome thing about my Ninja is the vibration in the grips and, really, the whole bike at 8K+ RPMs; it gets to be a bit much on an all day ride. Does the SV650 exhibit any of these characteristics?

2. The SV I'm looking at getting is an '08 with 3500 miles on it, will I need to bring it in for a 4000 mile servicing at a dealer? What is the maintenance schedule like? I'm relatively adept at doing most of the stuff myself (provided I have instructions/videos/etc) but more advanced stuff like valve adjustments and carb syncs I'd rather leave to the dealer.

3. Can you put an aftermarket centerstand on it?

4. How does it perform at highway speeds? I get tossed around on the road sometimes on the Ninja if it's windy and/or big trucks are going by....

5. Would my Cortech sport sadddlebags and tailbag fit on it?

6. What is the riding position like? I'm about 5' 8", 130lb.

Thanks!

Shalabi screwed with this post 04-27-2009 at 07:08 AM
Shalabi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 08:04 AM   #247
Snaildrake
prowling the SW since '64

Oddometer: 163
The answer to all your question lie below...

[QUOTE=Shalabi]Hey guys, I'm an Kawi Ninja EX500 owner who is looking at getting a SV650 naked bike as a next bike but I have a few questions.

Hi Shalabi. After 9 months including winter riding, I love my SV and can't think of any other middleweight bike to match it. Its only real weakness for me is suspension, though there are ways that can be improved for under $500. Check out svrider.com where most of the riders are on 650s.

1. The most bothersome thing about my Ninja is the vibration in the grips and, really, the whole bike at 8K+ RPMs; it gets to be a bit much on an all day ride. Does the SV650 exhibit any of these characteristics?

Shalabi, I haven't ridden an EX500 but here are a couple of observations. I usually ride between 4500-5000rpm below 55mph, and torque is really good. With stock gearing an SV runs 5000rpm at 65, and there is a buzz between 5000 and 6000rpm. 6000 is ~75mp so I don't run mine much faster. An SV has the power to drop a tooth on the countershaft if you want lower highway revs (one up)

2. The SV I'm looking at getting is an '08 with 3500 miles on it, will I need to bring it in for a 4000 mile servicing at a dealer? What is the maintenance schedule like? I'm relatively adept at doing most of the stuff myself (provided I have instructions/videos/etc) but more advanced stuff like valve adjustments and carb syncs I'd rather leave to the dealer.

The very BEST thing about any SV starting with '03 is fuel injection. Don't think the valves get adjusted until either 8k or 12k miles. After a KTM I'm loving maintaining it with gas, air and frequent riding.

3. Can you put an aftermarket centerstand on it?

For about $200 if I remember right.

4. How does it perform at highway speeds? I get tossed around on the road sometimes on the Ninja if it's windy and/or big trucks are going by....

They're similar weights - SV is right at 400 lbs. No fairing helps on buffeting if not comfort. Mine is not as wind sensitive as my old BMW airhead.

5. Would my Cortech sport sadddlebags and tailbag fit on it?

That's what I have.

6. What is the riding position like? I'm about 5' 8", 130lb.

Stock bars lean you forward like ten degrees, I believe more than an EX but similar. Nothing like with clip ons. Pretty neutral balance at highway speeds, as the wind holds you up. Around town I found the lean hard on my arthritic thumbs and changed the bars out for Bikemaster GP Touring bars for $25. Now the position is perfect. At 5'8" you should find the peg position fine - I'm 5'11" and I went to a well-known Buell peg swap to get the pegs an inch lower. Enjoy ~Snail
Snaildrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 08:18 PM   #248
s9bombhills
すずき

Oddometer: 1
Pic whoring!

s9bombhills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 12:05 PM   #249
azze007
Save a horse,ride a BMW.

Oddometer: 118
Just one question guys - now that there is a Gladius,is the SV650 still in production?

PS Excuse my bad English.
azze007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 12:09 PM   #250
squidhunter
suck-squeeze-bang-blow

Oddometer: 309
Quote:
Originally Posted by azze007
Just one question guys - now that there is a Gladius,is the SV650 still in production?

PS Excuse my bad English.
The SV-S is, but not the nekkid version
Old 05-02-2009, 05:42 PM   #251
Shalabi
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaildrake
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shalabi
Hey guys, I'm an Kawi Ninja EX500 owner who is looking at getting a SV650 naked bike as a next bike but I have a few questions.....
(Snaildrakes awesome answers )
Thanks for the great answers Snaildrake. I got to see the bike in person today at the dealership and I loved it; definitely gonna pick it up next weekend.

The thing was immaculate except for the chain, which looked as if it had never been cleaned and was caked in rust. Is this dangerous? Any chance I can get that crap off and still get some life out of the chain? Should I request they replace it?
Old 05-02-2009, 06:43 PM   #252
bill pierce
I don't wana pickle

Oddometer: 741
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy the Heater
How did I miss this thread?? Just chiming in with my 03 SV1KN
Best motor ever! Worst seat ever! hehe
Hey that's Steptoe Butte!!
Yamaha FZR 1000 (sold)
Honda Cr 500 sold
bill pierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 09:00 PM   #253
Snaildrake
prowling the SW since '64

Oddometer: 163
Broken chain = really Baaaaddd for yr complexion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shalabi
Thanks for the great answers Snaildrake. I got to see the bike in person today at the dealership and I loved it; definitely gonna pick it up next weekend.

The thing was immaculate except for the chain, which looked as if it had never been cleaned and was caked in rust. Is this dangerous? Any chance I can get that crap off and still get some life out of the chain? Should I request they replace it?
Time did get away from me, didn't it? Well, if you still need to know, a rusty
chain on a 75HP bike is not something I would live with. Sounds like the chain is a clue to low owner maintenance that a wash and wax job doesn't conceal. On the other hand, an SV is not much of a squid bike, so if the miles are low the odds are in your favor it hasn't sustained actual damage.

So did you do the deed yet? ~Snail
Snaildrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 07:46 PM   #254
Shalabi
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaildrake
Time did get away from me, didn't it? Well, if you still need to know, a rusty
chain on a 75HP bike is not something I would live with. Sounds like the chain is a clue to low owner maintenance that a wash and wax job doesn't conceal. On the other hand, an SV is not much of a squid bike, so if the miles are low the odds are in your favor it hasn't sustained actual damage.

So did you do the deed yet? ~Snail
Someone nabbed it before I could get there on a dry weekend.
Old 05-18-2009, 09:25 AM   #255
PrtclMn001
Custom User Title

Oddometer: 977
Ok, I could swear this thread wasn't here when I searched yesterday before posting my question about bar risers

Here's mine:

Now with the fender eliminator:

Not a ton of modifications... Fender eliminator kit, Gel "SV" grips, Gel Seat, some random CF bits.

I got her brand new out of the box back in '03 and it's been a great 6 years. I'm working on replacing the clip-ons finally but can't get heli-bars because they're on backorder. :(
PrtclMn001 is offline   Reply With Quote