SVN/XRR/XC-W
PeteN95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 01:07 PM   #827
Harry94025
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 266
Question about the fuel valve...

Hi Guys,

I hadn't started up my 2001 SV650 for a couple months, and when I went to start it the engine was hydro locked with fuel in the front cylinder. Clearly, the fuel valve was not doing its job so I want to replace the seal.

In photographs of the available re-build kits I noticed there is an o-ring on a plunger that is part of a diaphram assembly. Is it possible to change out just that o-ring? After removing the spark plug and getting the fuel out, the bike runs well so the diaphram is ok. Is ten years about it for these components?

Thanks,
Harry
Harry94025 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 08:47 AM   #828
AlpineGuerrilla
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 369
Here are a few videos I captured on trips with my little SV.

Shot last summer and fall in the Alps. Wish I can head out for a ride like that again soon.

Hope you like them.
AlpineGuerrilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 08:18 AM   #829
Jamiko
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Amazingly beautiful. You live in paradise.
Old 02-06-2012, 09:30 AM   #830
jesse v
Motorcyclist

Oddometer: 205
My '04 SV1000 (sorry) with LSL bars.

jesse v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 06:13 PM   #831
EastBoundAndDown
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 581
Bought this 2006 2 weeks ago, have been searching for months trying to find the right deal on an SV650. This one has 10K miles, was a 1 owner bike and is mint. I got it for $2950 and am loving it. It is very quiet stock so I may opt for a slip-on exhaust, researching it now. Its geared 16-43 so it cruises very nicely at highway speeds. I'm addicted to riding it!

'Couple old Kawasaki's and an Orange 200
EastBoundAndDown is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 12:11 PM   #832
D.T.
One wheel wonder...

Oddometer: 10,336
Thumb

Sweet videos AG!!
D.T. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 12:10 AM   #833
vainamoinen
Bumblebee master

Oddometer: 40
Hi there,

I am considering getting an sv 650 and i have 2 options:

1. SV 650 S from 2004 with about 25.000 km on it and various scratches I think it had a few owners, nothing wrong with the bike. this one will cost about 3700 us dollars(3400 euros).The bike has an GPR slipon.

2. SV 650 S from 2009 with ABS ,5000 km ,one very carefull owner, crash pads, like new. This one is 20.000 sek more(3000 us dollars). There is also factory warranty left until september 2015.(We have 5 years warranty for Suzuki, Honda and Yamaha new bikes here in Sweden).

Insurance is a bit cheaper on the new one if I chose full covery but cheaper on the older one if I go with only half (I will go full if I buy the new one and only half on the older one). Half insurance means exactly half: they will pay only half of the expenses if something happens. We also have Traffic which means they will pay only the damage you do to others in case of an accident.

What to do?

Buy the cheaper one and have a lot of fun with it given the fact that it is so cheap (at least here in Sweden where I live)?
Or buy the more expensive one and have it for a longer period of time? I also like the fact that it has ABS but then I wonder if I can make any modification to the forks withouth compromising the ABS part (can I change to GSXR forks and still have the ABS?). I am about 84 kg in full gear.

Somewhere deep inside a litlle evil voice tells me to go cheap with the first one and trash it modify it and make it a litlle dirty town bike and maybe a track wh...re.

The voice of reason tells me to go with the ABS, warranty, but also I kinda hate I have to pay allmost double the money.
I will use the bike to commute to work (about 60 km round trip) and ocasional weekend rides with the wife around town.
So wat do you guys say?
Damn decisions i hate this conundrum.

P.S. To make the damn things even more difficult they have a brand new honda cbr 250 r which is pricewise exactly in the middle of the 2 ones(5 years warranty, abs).

Sometimes i wish i was back in time when i was stuck with my russian IZH Planet 5 and no money for anything else. Life was simple back then.

Sorry for the long post and bad english!
vainamoinen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 12:09 PM   #834
goodcat8
I can pass this guy.....

Oddometer: 2,985
I'd go for the 04. I'm not a need to have ABS guy, and I like to make a bike my own, so having a little extra cash to do it always helps. Plus should the bike fall over or get messed up its less heart brake than on a pricey newer one.
The 250 is a great little commuter bike, but I've just found that many experienced riders tend to get a little bored with them. Not all but some, myself included.
The SV's are some of the hands down best bang for your buck motorcycles out there.

I think your English is better than mine
Old 02-24-2012, 12:18 PM   #835
MisterPX
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 143
I would also pick the 2004. 20000Km is nothing to a SV, my '03 has 34000km of wear and tear and abuse, and still runs great. No valve adjustments needed at 30000km check. Not sure what would go wrong that you'd need warranty for either ;)

20000 sek can buyy a lot of goodies, like new sprockets. 14/46 sound tempting?

MisterPX screwed with this post 02-24-2012 at 12:24 PM
MisterPX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 09:44 PM   #836
anonny
What could go wrong?

Oddometer: 5,529
Would any of you have an accurate weight for the engine? I have a project in mind.

71- 450 Honda CL re & re

Just another pathetic sheep following the herd

anonny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 08:16 AM   #837
Cat0020
El cheapo

Oddometer: 5,493
I have weight for my whole bike:

Old 02-25-2012, 02:23 PM   #838
D.T.
One wheel wonder...

Oddometer: 10,336

I had one of those!
D.T. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 09:54 PM   #839
bigtallguy
Sasquatch Jr.

Oddometer: 254
Hey guys, just picked up a '02 sv650. It's been sitting since 2006 so I have some work before it gets on the road again.

The gas tank is pretty nasty looking, lots of rust. When I picked it up I noticed it had gas draining out from a vent tube on the right side. I've read a little about it since then and saw something about a water vent that can get rusted out, letting fuel out or water in. Is there a good fix for that? I'm up for any suggestions on anything else to look for while getting it cleaned up. Thanks!
Old 03-16-2012, 09:23 AM   #840
Strog
Geek on two wheels

Oddometer: 396
I added some side cases to my SV recently. I went with the SW-Motech quick release racks to match my top rack. I bolted a pair of Seahorse SE720 (same size as a Pelican 1520 but half the price) cases. I used some 1/16" cable to make lid stays. I also found some 4 foot heavy duty flat straps at the hardware store for cutting up into retaining straps.

I've been throwing my camping gear in a dry bag and strapping it to the back seat but I wanted to keep the back seat free so my son can come along on some overnighters. The sidebags are 3/4 loaded when I have my tent, sleeping bag, sleeping pad, camp pillow, stove/pot and mug. The top case is still empty so I should be able to do this with room to spare.

I still have the drybag or a Motopak 60L duffle to strap across the back seat if I want to go crazy but I'm really trying to keep it on the more compact side.

I plan on loading up the camping gear and taking off after work on some Fridays, head east into Arkansas, throw down the tent and wake up in the middle of the twisties.