User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-18-2012, 10:53 AM   #841
wee-twin
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 152
Sv

I just did the tps adjustment. Found a great tutorial over on sv650.org. Throttle control is definitely improved. Most difficult part was removing the crap factory bolts. I replaced the soft torx security bolts with Allen bolts.

wee-twin screwed with this post 03-18-2012 at 06:47 PM
wee-twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 10:39 AM   #842
vainamoinen
Bumblebee master

Oddometer: 37
Howdy mates,
I have posted here on this thread about my conundrum between the newer and the older model of sv 650 s. I finaly bought the older one it is yellow. I had just 2 rides so far but the bike really impressed me a lot. I have to be honest about my skills(or lack of skills) I only had a few ryussian bikes and a harley sportster 1200 custom. Liked the harley but it wasn't what i was looking for. This litlle bumblebee is fast. Kinda scary fast for me. Anyhow i would like to give you guys some more details. The bike it was an insurance damage how they call it here in Sweden. I have absolutely no ideea what was wrong with it but i checked the bike and could not find any damage at all.The eller told me that it was stolen and reposessed later by police and insurance company sold it to the mc firm. They told me it has been serviced I have a new tire in front and a very good one in the back, chain seems ok. QUESTIONS:

1. What to check now?
2. How could I know if the valves are ok?(The bike has 25.700 km and i know that the valves should be checked at 24.000).
3. I have an GPR slip on and sometimes i have an popup on decellerating.(Is the right term popup?)
4. Did anyone installed an central stand?(chain cleaning -adjusting)
Overall I like the bike very much and I intend to have a really nice relationship with it.
Thanks in advance for your kindness.

P.S. I have no ideea how to post pics but I will work on it.
vainamoinen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 12:46 PM   #843
mhevezi
Adventurer

Oddometer: 78
Love the 2003 Copper SV's

This was my 2nd '03 SVS. Just sold it to a buddy. My favorite color combo on the SVS. Proved to be a good commuter, decent for short trips, but I'm 6'03" and needed something a little larger... Still, a fun bike, that is super easy to ride! Bought my first one brand new, and dropped it a year later :(

Found this one in 2009, and grabbed it for commute duties.

Cleaned up well!

Put a full Leo Vince exhaust on it. Sounded good, looked even better!

Added a blue LED to light the lic plate

And with the top case, for hauling gear.
Old 03-19-2012, 05:28 PM   #844
Serdna
NOOB

Oddometer: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by vainamoinen View Post
QUESTIONS:

1. What to check now?
2. How could I know if the valves are ok?(The bike has 25.700 km and i know that the valves should be checked at 24.000).
3. I have an GPR slip on and sometimes i have an popup on decellerating.(Is the right term popup?)
1. If you like maintaining bikes yourself buy a Haynes manual and work through the service chapter.
2. Your valves need checking, but it is not an emergency. The SV is bomb proof (just keep an eye on the oil level)
3. This is normal. If it is loud bangs you should check your exhaust for air leaks.
4. No idea but much easier and cheaper, get a paddock stand.

Its a great bike. There are 2 forums for it; UK http://forums.sv650.org/ and US http://www.svrider.com/forum/
Serdna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 07:35 PM   #845
Ohio_Danimal
Midlife Crisis Man

Oddometer: 582
Quote:
Originally Posted by vainamoinen View Post

Sure did. SW Motech in Germany makes a nice one for second generation SV's. I have one on mine with over 90,000 miles on it with no issues on the thousands of uses the centerstand has had. It was a bitch to install but there are a few websites to help

Here it is on my SV

Anger is age, hell bent.
Ohio_Danimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 06:02 AM   #846
lake_harley
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 653
I just read through the first 35 pages of this thread (I need to get a life!) and noticed a couple comments about the 2003 and maybe(?) 2004 being somewhat different than the later 2nd gen SV? I never quite caught what the differences are. Anything significant? Mostly cosmetic or mechanical differences? I did see one comment about '03 tail section being higher and wondered if that was just '03 or '04 as well. I have a bike trade pending on a '04 SV650 (naked) and want to go into it as well informed as possible. I want THIS bike to be around a while! I want it for "utility" regular riding as well as some solo-touring.

Thanks, in advance

Lynn
lake_harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 06:51 AM   #847
Cat0020
El cheapo

Oddometer: 5,260
Wiki has a decent page about SV650s.

If you are wondering about the difference between two gen of SV650, the slip is between 2002 and 2003 models.
Pre-2003 models have carbs, and post-2003 models have fuel injection.

Cosmetically, pre-2003 models have rounder, more fluid profile aluminum trelis frame, post-2003 models have angular cast aluminum frame.

ABS model became available around 08-09.

Having owned both carb and FI models, I prefer the carb model for lighter weight, simple maintenance and (widely available) simpler mods for performance. Fuel economy difference between carbs and FI is really negligabe, the real difference is how the rider choose to ride it.
Old 03-20-2012, 08:13 AM   #848
mhevezi
Adventurer

Oddometer: 78
Lynn, the 2003 SV has a slightly higher tail than the 2004 and on models, so the subframe is a little different.

And the '03 is the only year Suzuki offered the SV in the best color- Burning Copper.

At some point during development, the current SV added an O2 sensor, for more accurate fueling, and ABS was an option, but largely the SV hasn't changed in years. Which isn't a bad thing.
Old 03-20-2012, 08:42 AM   #849
lake_harley
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 653
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhevezi View Post
Lynn, the 2003 SV has a slightly higher tail than the 2004 and on models, so the subframe is a little different.

And the '03 is the only year Suzuki offered the SV in the best color- Burning Copper.

At some point during development, the current SV added an O2 sensor, for more accurate fueling, and ABS was an option, but largely the SV hasn't changed in years. Which isn't a bad thing.
Thanks! That's what I was wondering. The BEST color aside () I peronally didn't want an exagerated high-tail bike for my purposes. Maybe the '03 vs. '04 difference is small, but I didn't know and I don't have bikes side-to-side to see how much difference there is.
In reality I'd probably give the nod to a carbureted bike if I had a choice, but the one offered in the potential trade is a Gen 2 '04, so I know it's injected, and that's certainly not a deal breaker. I like what I've seen in the pictures of the bike I've been sent via e-mail, other than it's blue color, my least favorite. It can either grow on me or I'l have it painted professionally.....probably the first.

Thanks again!

Lynn
lake_harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 09:04 AM   #850
Ohio_Danimal
Midlife Crisis Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by lake_harley View Post
Thanks! That's what I was wondering. The BEST color aside () I peronally didn't want an exagerated high-tail bike for my purposes. Maybe the '03 vs. '04 difference is small, but I didn't know and I don't have bikes side-to-side to see how much difference there is.
In reality I'd probably give the nod to a carbureted bike if I had a choice, but the one offered in the potential trade is a Gen 2 '04, so I know it's injected, and that's certainly not a deal breaker. I like what I've seen in the pictures of the bike I've been sent via e-mail, other than it's blue color, my least favorite. It can either grow on me or I'l have it painted professionally.....probably the first.

Thanks again!

Lynn
The 2003 tail isn't "exaggerated" by any means. It was dropped to make the seat lower in 2004 onwards. The side panels and seat aren't compatible betweem 2003's and up because of the subframe change.

I have toured all over the country on my 2003 (over 100,000 miles on the bike) and have been comfy the whole way (I am 6'1")

The 2003 Subframe is made of steel. 2004 onwards have aluminum subframes.

Anger is age, hell bent.
Old 03-20-2012, 03:11 PM   #851
PeteN95
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,424
Only '03 S models had the higher tail, the '03 nakeds have the same subframe and seat as the '04 and later models.

SVN/XRR/Christini
PeteN95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 07:46 AM   #852
Ohio_Danimal
Midlife Crisis Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteN95 View Post
Only '03 S models had the higher tail, the '03 nakeds have the same subframe and seat as the '04 and later models.
I don't think so. My 03 has a higher steel subframe as well and it was a naked from the factory. 2003 seats fit naked or sport models but do not fit any other years. 2004 and newer had lower aluminum subframes.

Anger is age, hell bent.
Old 03-21-2012, 10:53 AM   #853
PeteN95
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio_Danimal View Post
I don't think so. My 03 has a higher steel subframe as well and it was a naked from the factory. 2003 seats fit naked or sport models but do not fit any other years. 2004 and newer had lower aluminum subframes.
Not sure about those li'l 650s, but the naked 1000 uses the same seat and subframe as the '04 and later S models. I have the aftermarket Gel seat for the later S model on my Naked '03.

SVN/XRR/Christini
Old 03-22-2012, 04:29 PM   #854
sect8dr
ride them all

Oddometer: 220
question

I had a 2006 650 for about a year and put a little over 12000 miles on it and i loved it, then in a bonehead move i got rid of it. I now have a chance at possibly trading my 650 v strom for a 2004 SV1000, just wondering if there are any handling differences between the 1000 and 650 that would make it less fun than the last one that i had? It is the naked version which is what i had last time and it is what i like, just looking for some insight from some people in the know about the differences between them other than the obvious power diff.
sect8dr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 01:34 PM   #855
PeteN95
Beastly Adventurer

The 650 is definitely the better handler, but the 1000 isn't bad and the 3rd gear wheelies help make up for being slightly less nimble! The 650s need fork work unless you are a fly weight and don't brake hard. The 1000 has fully adjustable suspension stock, but can be improved. The 1000 has a great engine, torque everywhere, no downshift required and will still spin 11k rpm!?

SVN/XRR/Christini