ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-04-2012, 04:24 PM   #886
alwayssummer
aspiring bikewhore
 
alwayssummer's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2007
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
Oddometer: 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by sprk_sprd View Post
As for windscreens, I'm still debating this one. Lots of highway riding (i.e. but over 70mph) gets to be tiring. However, after reading several threads on aftermarket windshields, I'm not clear as to which windshield would reduce the wind blast without simultaneously causing new buffeting. Some of the aftermarket shields (e.g. GIVI A750, GIVI 240, National Cycle F-18, F-16, etc.) look great on the SV. But some have complained that the fairings/shields introduced new unwelcome wind patterns.

Any additional input from you folks here would be appreciated.
Buffeting is exactly the reason I never bought a larger screen. The SV is the first bike that I've owned that ever had clear air on the highway, all of my old bikes would buffet constantly over 55. So I decided to let well enough alone and ride through the wind. It's usually OK. I've heard of some screens that draw air through the bottom to reduce turbulence, but never tried them. Anyway, I'd like to hear people's thoughts too.
__________________
07 SV650 in Candy Sonoma Red & 99 KLR in Green
I'm alone even at home. I'm the only one in the house that is condemned to a lifetime of dreaming of far off places. -Larryboy

~R.I.P. Isaac A Klosterman a.k.a. Classic~March 22, 1982 - May 18, 2008~
alwayssummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 06:51 AM   #887
erohver
Gnarly Adventurer
 
erohver's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2008
Location: Champlain, NY
Oddometer: 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by alwayssummer View Post
Buffeting is exactly the reason I never bought a larger screen. The SV is the first bike that I've owned that ever had clear air on the highway, all of my old bikes would buffet constantly over 55. So I decided to let well enough alone and ride through the wind. It's usually OK. I've heard of some screens that draw air through the bottom to reduce turbulence, but never tried them. Anyway, I'd like to hear people's thoughts too.

I went in the other direction. No, not really. This Windjammer was laying around in my buddies garage, so I propped it up on the radiator to take a pic. Sexy isn't it?

__________________
###################################
2002 KTM 640
2009 KLR 650
2003 SV 650
erohver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 09:52 AM   #888
Ohio_Danimal
Midlife Crisis Man
 
Ohio_Danimal's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2009
Location: Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio (The Crooked River)
Oddometer: 596
^^^^^^
I actually kind of like that!

I rode my 2003 SV as a complete naked version for many thousands of miles before adding a Givi A750


The A750 did help SOME with reducing fatigue over a long day, especially with lots of slab mixed in, but still wasn't enough. It really did little more than running a large tank bag did as far as protection.


I ended up adding a S model full fairing and a taller Givi screen and the daily enjoyment factor on long rides has gone WAY up. Even with the hard bags mounted I feel minimal BS due to winds and buffeting


And I don't feel that it is all just due to aerodynamics. I think the additional weight up front and over the front wheel from the S fairing, stay, headlight assembly, etc helps stabilize the bike's handling. The bike feels far more planted and less disrupted by road irregularities, wind gusts....you name it.

I also like the "bubble" of protected air that the S fairing allows to keep my farkles clean and dry
__________________
Wisdom is age well spent.

Anger is age, hell bent.
Ohio_Danimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 05:51 PM   #889
alwayssummer
aspiring bikewhore
 
alwayssummer's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2007
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
Oddometer: 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio_Danimal View Post
^^^^^^
I actually kind of like that!

I rode my 2003 SV as a complete naked version for many thousands of miles before adding a Givi A750
...
The A750 did help SOME with reducing fatigue over a long day, especially with lots of slab mixed in, but still wasn't enough. It really did little more than running a large tank bag did as far as protection.
...
I ended up adding a S model full fairing and a taller Givi screen and the daily enjoyment factor on long rides has gone WAY up. Even with the hard bags mounted I feel minimal BS due to winds and buffeting

And I don't feel that it is all just due to aerodynamics. I think the additional weight up front and over the front wheel from the S fairing, stay, headlight assembly, etc helps stabilize the bike's handling. The bike feels far more planted and less disrupted by road irregularities, wind gusts....you name it.

I also like the "bubble" of protected air that the S fairing allows to keep my farkles clean and dry
I do tons of superslab. I wanted to add an S fairing, but it seemed really complicated and expensive. Actually, I talked to you about it once, I remember now. Anyway, I gave up. I've sort of considered looking for an S on Craigslist. I have a little more free time now. Can you guesstimate how many hours and dollars it took you to convert?
__________________
07 SV650 in Candy Sonoma Red & 99 KLR in Green
I'm alone even at home. I'm the only one in the house that is condemned to a lifetime of dreaming of far off places. -Larryboy

~R.I.P. Isaac A Klosterman a.k.a. Classic~March 22, 1982 - May 18, 2008~
alwayssummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 06:56 PM   #890
Thumper996
Studly Adventurer
 
Thumper996's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2009
Oddometer: 591
On the topic of windscreens and conversions. I simple bought a double bubble screen and love it. no buffeting what so ever and stuck a naked upper triple tree and bar on the S. Extended the throttle cables from Motion Pro and picked up a new stock naked clutch cable.



Thumper996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 06:59 PM   #891
Ohio_Danimal
Midlife Crisis Man
 
Ohio_Danimal's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2009
Location: Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio (The Crooked River)
Oddometer: 596
Quote:
Originally Posted by alwayssummer View Post
I do tons of superslab. I wanted to add an S fairing, but it seemed really complicated and expensive. Actually, I talked to you about it once, I remember now. Anyway, I gave up. I've sort of considered looking for an S on Craigslist. I have a little more free time now. Can you guesstimate how many hours and dollars it took you to convert?
I decided on a late fall tour, riding back in a blur of rain and cold as hell weather on the naked SV that I would go full fairing.
I took my time, in no rush to buy this or that part. I got a crazy good deal with someone from SVRider who made his SV naked (much more common, creating planty of S model fairing parts ) buying the entire fairing and stay for $300. I sold the parts I had and got some back. The bike was faired in the spring fo maybe $300 total spend. Same when I did the GSXR front end. Sol dthe stock parts and spent maybe $300 there.
Hell, I spend at least $600 a year on just rear tires!
__________________
Wisdom is age well spent.

Anger is age, hell bent.
Ohio_Danimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 09:02 AM   #892
alwayssummer
aspiring bikewhore
 
alwayssummer's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2007
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
Oddometer: 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio_Danimal View Post
I decided on a late fall tour, riding back in a blur of rain and cold as hell weather on the naked SV that I would go full fairing.
I took my time, in no rush to buy this or that part. I got a crazy good deal with someone from SVRider who made his SV naked (much more common, creating planty of S model fairing parts ) buying the entire fairing and stay for $300. I sold the parts I had and got some back. The bike was faired in the spring fo maybe $300 total spend. Same when I did the GSXR front end. Sol dthe stock parts and spent maybe $300 there.
Hell, I spend at least $600 a year on just rear tires!
I think I spent some time looking for front ends on SVRider, but I have a short attention span and probably forgot about it. I guess I should head back and look some more.

I know the cold and rain feeling. I think I turn into a rain god when I get on my motorcycle. My worst was crossing Alleghenies in the rain, at night, with fog, and deer. It wasn't too cold, at least. No place to stop for hotel either.

Speaking of which, have you noticed the stock headlight has a narrow beam? Not useful for twisties at night.
__________________
07 SV650 in Candy Sonoma Red & 99 KLR in Green
I'm alone even at home. I'm the only one in the house that is condemned to a lifetime of dreaming of far off places. -Larryboy

~R.I.P. Isaac A Klosterman a.k.a. Classic~March 22, 1982 - May 18, 2008~
alwayssummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 09:35 AM   #893
Ohio_Danimal
Midlife Crisis Man
 
Ohio_Danimal's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2009
Location: Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio (The Crooked River)
Oddometer: 596
Quote:
Originally Posted by alwayssummer View Post
I think I spent some time looking for front ends on SVRider, but I have a short attention span and probably forgot about it. I guess I should head back and look some more.

I know the cold and rain feeling. I think I turn into a rain god when I get on my motorcycle. My worst was crossing Alleghenies in the rain, at night, with fog, and deer. It wasn't too cold, at least. No place to stop for hotel either.

Speaking of which, have you noticed the stock headlight has a narrow beam? Not useful for twisties at night.
I actually found a picture from that shitty cold ride in the rain that convinced me to look for more protection.

This is somewhere on the slab in WV


As far as the light issue, are you referring to the naked's stock 7" round light?

I remember it throwing decent light when fitted with a higher quality bulb (I use Osram Nitebreakers)

I just purchased a 24 watt LED flood from an Inmate here, and plan on mounting it to my right mirror stalk. Gonna fry them deer's eyes soon. The cuyahoga Valley is getting freaking dangerous to ride any time of day. I used to be able to count the number of deer I see riding home from work. Now I lose count.

The GSXR forks I got from someone on Craigslist. I use a website called Search Tempest that lets you search all Craigslists in the US with a single search. I have found some great deals that way. It's like the wild west early days of Ebay! Just have to weed out the Spammers.
__________________
Wisdom is age well spent.

Anger is age, hell bent.
Ohio_Danimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 09:39 AM   #894
Ohio_Danimal
Midlife Crisis Man
 
Ohio_Danimal's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2009
Location: Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio (The Crooked River)
Oddometer: 596
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumper996 View Post
On the topic of windscreens and conversions. I simple bought a double bubble screen and love it. no buffeting what so ever and stuck a naked upper triple tree and bar on the S. Extended the throttle cables from Motion Pro and picked up a new stock naked clutch cable.



In case you weren't aware, the naked and "S" models did not share the same triple clamps. They have different offset (slightly)

Some who have done what you did reported that they could tell the offset was slightly off and just forced the upper on anyways and cinched it down firm. Others say it (the upper clamp from a naked) went on with no apparent issue.

I can guarantee you that it IS slightly different than your "S" upper in offset. Does that mean that it is going to effect shit? I doubt it.

How about a few more pics of your bike? I like the white accents!
__________________
Wisdom is age well spent.

Anger is age, hell bent.
Ohio_Danimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 02:47 PM   #895
Me and my monkee
Out makin' Monkee Maps
 
Me and my monkee's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2007
Location: Augusta GA
Oddometer: 980
Turbo!

If you want the rare turbo version of the SV you better hurry. this will go fast!
http://augusta.craigslist.org/mcy/2943374347.html
This is a 2001 Suzuki SV650R.. ... Its in Great shape and runs strong.. It has the V-twin turbo engine..New plugs,wires and oil. Front lowered 2 inches.. Full Yoshi exhaust. A few minor scratches.. 22,xxx miles. $3500OBO $ERIOUS BUYERS ONLY!!! NO LOW BALLERS PLEASE!! Call or text 803-671-7059

I suppose I should say that this is NOT my ad, but I did message the seller for more info on the engine :)
__________________
2001 Moto Guzzi California Jackal, 2000 Kawasaki ZG1000 Concours,
2001 Suzuki SV650S, 2001 Suzuki DR650SE,
2001 Kawasaki BN125 Eliminator, 1981 Kawasaki AR80
Me and my monkee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 06:19 PM   #896
EastBoundAndDown
Studly Adventurer
 
EastBoundAndDown's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2010
Location: Lawrenceville, GA
Oddometer: 560
I added 1 1/8" aluminum fat bars to my SV today. They are similar height ot the stock bars, but a a total of 3 inches wider, and are mostly straight like a dirt bike setup, which gives me great leverage. Added Pro Grip 714 dual sport grips as they are wider than a normal grip and very gel soft.

After a 40mile ride I am hugely satisfied. I have an insane amount of leverage, my only concern is over a long trip, if the aluminum bars would produce annoying amounts of vibration.
__________________
"And if my thought-dreams could been seen
They'd probably put my head in a guillotine
But it's alright, Ma, it's life, and life only."

KTM 200, Concours 1000
EastBoundAndDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 10:43 PM   #897
sprk_sprd
Adventurer
 
Joined: May 2011
Location: MD
Oddometer: 29
Strog, Alwayssummer, Ohio_danimal,

Thanks for your detailed replies, the sum of which lead me to believe that it's probably not worth adding one of the smaller-type shields (GIVI, Nat'l Cycle, etc.). As one of you put it: "leave well enough alone."
sprk_sprd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 08:24 AM   #898
jonescafe72
Adventurer
 
jonescafe72's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2010
Location: Goddard Kansas
Oddometer: 9
Picked up.....

just picked up a 2003 this week. It had only 1050 miles on the clock Thursday night when I picked it up. Already has Yoshimura slip on, K&N filter, seat cowl, and hugger all done at the dealership when the bike was originally purchased. I've been trying to get the PO to sell it to me for 7 years, as he did very little to no riding at all. I think I got a fairly good deal at $2500. I will post pics as soon as I have some uploaded from my camera.
__________________
2003 SV650
1972 CB750
1966 Sprint
2001 Enfield
1972 XS 650
jonescafe72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 08:35 AM   #899
CvFactor
Adventurer
 
Joined: Nov 2011
Location: SE Michigan
Oddometer: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by alwayssummer View Post
Buffeting is exactly the reason I never bought a larger screen. The SV is the first bike that I've owned that ever had clear air on the highway, all of my old bikes would buffet constantly over 55. So I decided to let well enough alone and ride through the wind. It's usually OK. I've heard of some screens that draw air through the bottom to reduce turbulence, but never tried them. Anyway, I'd like to hear people's thoughts too.
The wind doesn't bother me either on the naked. I have done over 30,000 miles on it including a 5,000 mile trip to the Grand Canyon up to Yellowtone and back to Michigan. But I have always owned naked bikes so it just could be that I have become immune to the effects.
CvFactor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 06:25 AM   #900
sportmotogear
Mr. Fancy Pants
 
sportmotogear's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2008
Location: DFW
Oddometer: 329
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonescafe72 View Post
just picked up a 2003 this week. It had only 1050 miles on the clock Thursday night when I picked it up. Already has Yoshimura slip on, K&N filter, seat cowl, and hugger all done at the dealership when the bike was originally purchased. I've been trying to get the PO to sell it to me for 7 years, as he did very little to no riding at all. I think I got a fairly good deal at $2500. I will post pics as soon as I have some uploaded from my camera.
I think that s a hell of a deal. Congrats!
__________________
Obligatory Bike List:

'09 Tuono
x- '05 Ducati ST3 stolen
x- '04 Tiger sold
x- '02 Daytona sold
x- '99 Sprint ST RIP
x- '95 Sprint RIP
sportmotogear is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 05:59 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014