Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-08-2012, 08:02 PM   #901
Thumper996
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 587
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio_Danimal View Post
In case you weren't aware, the naked and "S" models did not share the same triple clamps. They have different offset (slightly)

Some who have done what you did reported that they could tell the offset was slightly off and just forced the upper on anyways and cinched it down firm. Others say it (the upper clamp from a naked) went on with no apparent issue.

I can guarantee you that it IS slightly different than your "S" upper in offset. Does that mean that it is going to effect shit? I doubt it.

How about a few more pics of your bike? I like the white accents!
Humm, My naked upper TT just slipped right on like butter. don't know bought offset difference. Handles fantastic.

That's not white it is silver metallic that i created patterns for and added vinyl and pinstripe to complete.

Before the bars, double bubble and mirror extenders.
Thumper996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 11:37 AM   #902
Big-B
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 103
WTB SV650 in pheonix area

Ideally an 05 or newer with low miles for under $3800.

Briab

bdanderson72@hotmail.com
Big-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 12:39 PM   #903
Coots
That's what she said

Oddometer: 155
Are you looking for the "S" model or naked? I have the "S" model for sale but it is an 03 but only 3700.00

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big-B View Post

Briab

bdanderson72@hotmail.com

03 DL1000 "Bumble Bee"
91 XT600
03 SV650S SOLD
Coots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 01:40 PM   #904
NONo443
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big-B View Post

Briab

bdanderson72@hotmail.com
http://phoenix.craigslist.org/evl/mcy/2947974416.html

No clue on the actual condition of it.
NONo443 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 07:04 PM   #905
metallicious
n00b

Oddometer: 5
I want an SV!

hey guys, I'm looking into the SV650 at the moment and i'm fairly certain its what i want. I got a '09 DR650 now and i love its offroad capabilities, but i'm looking for something better for touring. I guess what i'm asking is is there anything i need to know about this bike that might persuade me to think of something else? Or can you tell me about the bike? and where the heck can i find them?!?! Thanks

Also, I'm researching as much as i can and now i'm finding all sorts of bikes similar to the SV. So another question, or some advice would be appreciated. Does anyone own a SFV Gladius and is it pretty similar to the SV?

metallicious screwed with this post 04-09-2012 at 07:57 PM
metallicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 08:50 PM   #906
Cat0020
El cheapo

Oddometer: 5,277
Quote:
Originally Posted by metallicious View Post
Does anyone own a SFV Gladius and is it pretty similar to the SV?
I had a Gladius, put about 9k mi. on it before selling it due to losing my job.

IMO, Gladius was the FI SV650's replacement and Suzuki did a fine job with the bike, just the marketing stradigy killed a fantastic machine. FI mapping was better than the 2nd gen SV, better looking than that of angular cast aluminum frame. Other than a narrow, harsh seat on the Gladius, it is every bit better than the FI SV650 that I used to own, too.

Set it up for long distance tourring:

Sad that I had to replace it with a 01 SV650S for $2k:

Really, it's hard to find a better road warrior than SV650 at below $3k, carb-versions are lighter, easier to tune for more power output than FI version, perfoormance and suspension upgrades are easy to find, easy maintenance. Just all around hard to beat for the low price that can be found.
Old 04-09-2012, 10:22 PM   #907
doxiedog
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 826
After 7 years on my 99sv.,i'm loving the seat on my new bonneville!
Old 04-10-2012, 08:05 PM   #908
SpaceManSpiff
Man of Mystery

Oddometer: 1,075
Quote:
hey guys, I'm looking into the SV650 at the moment and i'm fairly certain its what i want. I got a '09 DR650 now and i love its offroad capabilities, but i'm looking for something better for touring. I guess what i'm asking is is there anything i need to know about this bike that might persuade me to think of something else? Or can you tell me about the bike? and where the heck can i find them?!?! Thanks

Also, I'm researching as much as i can and now i'm finding all sorts of bikes similar to the SV. So another question, or some advice would be appreciated. Does anyone own a SFV Gladius and is it pretty similar to the SV?
All versions of the SV --curvy(Carbed), pointy (fuel injected), and gladius are rock solid. The motors are soulful, torquey, and anvil reliable as long as you maintain them.

curvy --arguably better looking (IMHO )...but carburated and don't get quite the fuel mileage that the FI bikes do.

pointy --nice fuel injection, with the dual plug bikes getting good gas mileage. The S versions had unnecessarily low clip-ons

Gladius -- beefed up midrange motor with a nice heat exchanger for the oil...but it gained some weight by using steel frame and swing arm. Not nearly as popular as the the curvy or pointy SVs.

The SV enjoyed a *ahem* somewhat rabid following and are fabulous bikes with brake and suspension modifications.

Other options? The DL650 if you want touring and are tall. Kawasaki's Ninja 650/Versys if you want a slightly torquier motor that isn't quite so soulful or rev-happy as the SV family. I really liked Yamaha's FZ6R (the steel frame) --incredibly smooth and easy to ride with nice ergonomics might make an nice sport-tourer lite.[IMG]

SV Pron
[/IMG]
SpaceManSpiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 05:59 PM   #909
metallicious
n00b

The Gladius baby!

I've decided on getting the Gladius, o god i can't wait! I've just noticed how expensive sport tires are, in comparison my DR tires were DIRT CHEAP. Any body got any suggestions for what tires to use, where to get them for the Gladius? TIA.
Old 04-12-2012, 08:04 PM   #910
Cat0020
El cheapo

Oddometer: 5,277
Quote:
Any body got any suggestions for what tires to use, where to get them for the Gladius? TIA.
The OEM tires on the Gladius are Dunlop Qualifiers, which are great tires for sport type riding, wear pretty good, too.
Old 04-12-2012, 08:42 PM   #911
Thumper996
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 587
Quote:
I've decided on getting the Gladius, o god i can't wait! I've just noticed how expensive sport tires are, in comparison my DR tires were DIRT CHEAP. Any body got any suggestions for what tires to use, where to get them for the Gladius? TIA.
jakewilson.com doubt you will find anyone selling tires cheaper to the door.
Thumper996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 10:12 PM   #912
metallicious
n00b

Cool thanks for the advice. 'preciate it. How long do the qualifiers last? I was also curious about the stock seat and how good it is. After 10,000 miles on my stock DR650 seat i'm more than ready to have some cushion under my tookus.
Old 04-13-2012, 06:48 AM   #913
EastBoundAndDown
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 547
The stock seat on the SV sucks also. Its easily as bad as my DR350s' stock seats. I'm running the suzuki gel seat on rthe SV and love it.

KTM200, GS500E, Concours 1000
EastBoundAndDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 08:13 AM   #914
metallicious
n00b

helmet?

I'm having issues finding a quality helmet. The last 3 i've had are total garbage. I don't feel like dropping $600 on an Arai so can anybody help me out? Thanks!
Old 04-13-2012, 08:37 AM   #915
Coots
That's what she said

Oddometer: 155
I have the Nolan N-Com, great helmet, low wind noise and the inner flip down shade is great for riding in the day and causes no issues at night, like a tinted shield would. That is my .02

Quote:
I'm having issues finding a quality helmet. The last 3 i've had are total garbage. I don't feel like dropping $600 on an Arai so can anybody help me out? Thanks!

03 DL1000 "Bumble Bee"
91 XT600
03 SV650S SOLD
Coots is offline   Reply With Quote