ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-23-2008, 10:56 PM   #1
Logan80 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 208
Where can I go to play in Tacoma, WA?

I just recently bought my FIRST "dirt bike", a 1985 XL250R. I'd LOVE to find someplace to take it and play a bit after work.

I live in Spanaway, and I'm 95% sure Ft. Lewis would be a REAL bad idea. I want to explore a bit and learn some dirt riding on dirt roads and light trails.

Are there any places in or around spanaway to mess around a bit? I don't need any major ORV parks, just someplace to explore for a little bit, that's within riding distance to gain a bit of experience. I don't have anyone to ride with, and the extent of my dirt riding, is circles in my back yard in a normal neighborhood lol.

Any ideas you might have are welcome.
Logan80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 12:32 AM   #2
abikernamedwolf
2008 KLR650

Oddometer: 53
Do you know where River Road is that goes from I5 to Puyallup? Across the river from River Road is Levy Road and you can ride along the river for about 2 or 3 miles. I go there to stretch my legs out sometimes. Give me a holler sometime, Ill go riding with you. Email is markwescott@gmail.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan80
I just recently bought my FIRST "dirt bike", a 1985 XL250R. I'd LOVE to find someplace to take it and play a bit after work.

I live in Spanaway, and I'm 95% sure Ft. Lewis would be a REAL bad idea. I want to explore a bit and learn some dirt riding on dirt roads and light trails.

Are there any places in or around spanaway to mess around a bit? I don't need any major ORV parks, just someplace to explore for a little bit, that's within riding distance to gain a bit of experience. I don't have anyone to ride with, and the extent of my dirt riding, is circles in my back yard in a normal neighborhood lol.

Any ideas you might have are welcome.
00 Home built Chopper(sold)
01 Honda CBR929RR(sold)
08 Kawasaki KLR650(present/ i'll ride it till it dies,not for sale)

2x Iraq War Vet
VFW Life Member

abikernamedwolf screwed with this post 06-24-2008 at 12:40 AM
abikernamedwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 12:58 AM   #3
Logan80 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Ahh, almost forgot about that little area along the river. Thanks.

I'll email you sometime for sure.
Old 06-24-2008, 01:38 AM   #4
PacWestGS
Life Is The Adventure!

Oddometer: 10,866
East Fort Lewis (Roy)

If it's plated and registered and you remember the speed limit on military roads is 25mph you can go play ride on Fort Lewis but I'd pick the East side of 8th Ave S, 8th Ave E, South of Hwy 507 to 288th Str S., and the area between 8th Ave E and Hwy 7 (south of Rice Kandle Road to the rail road tracks).

I used to live out that way, stay away from the horses and Army units that are training and you shouldn't have any problems.

If you go racing out there on real dirt bikes the MPs will chase you down on quads.

Good luck, have fun!

The world is a dangerous place to live, not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it. (Albert Einstein)
PacWestGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 01:43 AM   #5
Logan80 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I spend a LOT of time out that direction for work, and I've noticed most of the "entrances" off of 8th Ave S have signs stating no trespassing, gov, property etc. I don't remember those signs from a year or so ago when I went in there with my Samurai and did some exploring off of 8th Ave E.

That was my most tempting area to look around in however, since I live near the old Spanaway Speedway.
Old 06-24-2008, 01:58 AM   #6
PacWestGS
Life Is The Adventure!

Oddometer: 10,866
Quote:
I spend a LOT of time out that direction for work, and I've noticed most of the "entrances" off of 8th Ave S have signs stating no trespassing, gov, property etc. I don't remember those signs from a year or so ago when I went in there with my Samurai and did some exploring off of 8th Ave E.

That was my most tempting area to look around in however, since I live near the old Spanaway Speedway.
That's true, but it's selective enforcement and mostly to keep the garbage dumping down and other illegal activity under control. If they ask you to leave, leave...

It's your tax dollar, and a means for them to close it when training units.

Also, there are seasonal signs to allow some bird to reproduce that makes some areas west of 8th Ave S off-limits during certain times of the year (spring to middle summer)

I've ridden out there many times and never been hassled. Just sayin' is all.

It's close, there are other areas to ride, like Capital Forest and Tahuya but those are farther away.

The N. Levee road access road is also a plan but you have to get there first. (That's where I live now) it's not all that fun.

The world is a dangerous place to live, not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it. (Albert Einstein)
PacWestGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 02:00 AM   #7
Logan80 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I think I'll check out those areas of Ft. Lewis.

I assumed the signs were for dumpers and liability anyways. Maybe tomorrow after work...
Old 06-25-2008, 05:47 AM   #8
Motor 1
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 537
Hello gentleman....er, I mean guys. Hope I'm not highjacking here. I am moving to Tumwater temporarily. From July 10th to about Aug.16th. I will have my Dr 650 with me. I was also looking for some places to ride in that area. My girlfriend works for the Red Cross at Ft. Lewis on Temp. duty. Thanks. Rick
Ruta del Cakebaker
Motor 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 12:27 PM   #9
intr1gue
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 211
Question Hey, anyone wanna set up a tour?

I'm game, and I'm sure Amanda's down as well. We're both on plated bikes, so yeah, name it.

--Ranjan

Quote:

intr1gue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 12:49 PM   #10
Nwsart
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
Quote:
What about that hidden track down behind the Subaru dealership on S. Tacoma Way???
Nwsart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 12:27 PM   #11
509rider
509rider

Oddometer: 43
Elbe O

Elbe ORV area is not far away from Spanway and kicks ass, a real deal zone with all levels of road and trail to rip on. Come on up and join the fun

509rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 11:19 PM   #12
laughatmyvanagon111
Wet Side of the Mountains

Oddometer: 222
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nwsart
What about that hidden track down behind the Subaru dealership on S. Tacoma Way???
Yeah, that may be an idea. Are you referring to the old Tacoma airport off of 56th Street? I've brought my XT down there before and it is pretty cool. Just watch out for the dumped garbage and things. Otherwise its kind of like a rough MX track out in the middle of the city>
laughatmyvanagon111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 11:24 PM   #13
dillon
Low Speed, High Drag

Oddometer: 1,657
Quote:
Originally Posted by 509rider
Elbe ORV area is not far away from Spanway and kicks ass, a real deal zone with all levels of road and trail to rip on. Come on up and join the fun
I was going to sugest that, i used to 4wheel my pickup out there when i was on McChord. Good times to be had there and its not far at all...
dillon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 12:56 AM   #14
Logan80 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I've been to both Elbe and Evan's Creek in my Samurai, but never on a bike.

I still haven't managed to get my bike out, been working longer hours and doing stuff around the house. Might try for a short ride this weekend.
Old 06-28-2008, 02:08 AM   #15
Dawg_enD
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 303
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motor 1
Hello gentleman....er, I mean guys. Hope I'm not highjacking here. I am moving to Tumwater temporarily. From July 10th to about Aug.16th. I will have my Dr 650 with me. I was also looking for some places to ride in that area. My girlfriend works for the Red Cross at Ft. Lewis on Temp. duty. Thanks. Rick
Capitol Forest for the win! It's just a bit west of Tumwater, depending on where exactly you live. 80,000 acres of trees, half of which is ok for motorized traffic. Also plenty of logging roads. Check it out online, there are a few maps. The only caution is that it can be hell after too much rain as it's clay and gets VERY slippery. Not muddy, more like a wet sheet of steel.
-Mike
Dawg_enD is offline   Reply With Quote