User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-26-2008, 11:18 PM   #1
tsiklonaut OP
the (in)famous boxer perv

Oddometer: 1,068
Thumb Vern Worldbeater Panniers

I typed in a search and found almost nothing about it. Thus I'll make a little introduction of the "hand made in a shed" panniers called Vern Worldbeater panniers.

Why I post this is that I've seen and owned various types of both alu and plastic panniers (Givi, H&B, Al Jesse, Caja Sahel, TT ZEGA and some others), but none of them compare to the craftmaniship of these, so I reckon you all deserve to look at them as well.

Vern makes them in UK but sends them everywhere in the World. Sent one set to me Estonia (Eastern-Europe)

He're mine how they came:

Courtesy of Vern pics:

Frames.

The "V" type of interconnect behind - breathing room for the different aftermarket exhaust (different heights) while stable fixed operation between the 2 panniers.

Inside the normal pannier.

Inside the exhaust-cutout pannier.

Supporting mounts from inside.

One upper support that supports also the lid limiter wire.

No welds on the frames and they're strong as hell!

Bottom mount supporting itself to the pillon footrest.

Exhaust cutout fitted even my longer-than-original Leo Vince exhaust very nicely.

Same from the exhaust cutout side.

Vern panniers come with additional heat shield you can cover your pannier with, but I decided to put an exhaus extension instead.

On the bike, lids open - they open on the correct side for me - no accidental opening or loss of lid while riding.

Bottom corners cut, for better aerodynamics and ellimination of the "Achille's Heel" corner of brick-design panniers when falling.

He has also black colour or combined versions, different sizes and different sizes of lids available as well. Currently they're R850/1100/1150GS+Adventure limited, coz he put so much development time into the frames (and I reckon they're the best frames). But I've heard 1200GS and some other bike versions are planned as well, currently under testing.

While they're extremely strong "permanent mount" panniers they actually can be dismounted off the bike fairly quickly with the help of one hex key - around 5 minutes and they're off the bike if you require to dismount them.

They're probably one of the few alu boxes really seen a wind tunnel tests up to 200mph to avoid any high-speed death traps with crosswind, that according to tests some "brick" design panniers can hold.

Those with more interest HERE's an interesting thread about them and different opinions about Vern panniers.

Ride safe you all, Margus
tsiklonaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 11:38 PM   #2
cokeslurpee
Banned

Oddometer: 537
so how much are a set with the rack?
cokeslurpee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 11:56 PM   #3
tsiklonaut OP

Quote:
Originally Posted by cokeslurpee
so how much are a set with the rack?
Looking at this UK pound to US dollar converter.

It's pre production set which was £525, which makes about $1050. If you're hurry, you can get it

Production versions are set around £625 depending on the accessories, which should make around $1250.
Old 06-27-2008, 05:34 AM   #4
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 48,399
Very nice looking. Kinda similar to the Jesses.

My only concern is the way the lids open. If you pack on top of the seet across the lids you have to remove it to open the lids. On my Jesse bags you can usually lift the bag on top a little and the lids will open.

Not bad at all looking, and nicely finished!

Jim
JimVonBaden is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 12:16 AM   #5
Ron Seida
Adventman

Oddometer: 1,247

Very nice boxes! I like the bolt on boxes, i've made both of my sets that way, although my only complaint would be that you need to open the lids and remove some stuff to un-do the bolts. I've never seen the attraction in quick release boxes, the mechanisim usually break in a crash or can be hard to fix in remote places. Security has never been an issue either. The only time the boxes come off my travell bike is during maintinence and washing. I really like the removeable lids with the foreward opening hinge, i made mine the same way. They make great tool-trays and can be very handy. Nice boxes all around!
D. Irwin...
Ron Seida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 07:27 AM   #6
wsdbikes
New Max is Mad

Oddometer: 1,281
looks like very high quality work. And they look very nice.

"I only wish I had video running when WSD did a no footed can-can over some boulders on mainline....two feet of air easy..." -Abdelhub
Yeah, on the GS http://vimeo.com/3232838

Notable Past-'01 KLR 250, 95 R1100GS, 06 KTM 950 SM, 69 Bridgestone 90
wsdbikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 08:02 AM   #7
tagesk
Tuscan rider

Oddometer: 3,199
Question Two questions

First, on the last picture I see two helmets; did you have a pinion or does it belong to another rider? If you had someone on the bike, could you ask him/her if the panniers affected his/her comfort?

Second; can you explain how you remove them? I read "one hex key", but is relatively easy, would you do it every night when you stop at a hotel (tent? Are you mad?), is "5 minutes" a idiom for "not very long" or is "15 minutes" more accurate?

I like them very much, but when we (wife and I) remove the panniers almost every day to spin around, before installing them again and riding on.

[TaSK]

PS: Your bike looks very nice. Would have been even better with the red seat (which makes the bike faster)
Proud contributor to Wisdom and GSpot FAQ and European Ride Report Index.
IBA: 33616
tagesk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 08:54 AM   #8
Norhasken
Tryin' to find my way

Oddometer: 18,228
Those look nicely designed and well made.
Old 06-28-2008, 11:20 AM   #9
tsiklonaut OP

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden
My only concern is the way the lids open. If you pack on top of the seet across the lids you have to remove it to open the lids. On my Jesse bags you can usually lift the bag on top a little and the lids will open.
Hi Jim, howzit?

IMHO, that's exacly why I like Verns lid opening idea - Jesses longer-sideways opening lid will require to slightly move luggage roll on the same way if you want to open the lid, but Jesses hinge design is a bit stupid since it'll distract you on your natural place when you want to access your pannier aside the bike. you can even damage the lid or hinges with your own weight when pushing heavy stuff out of the pannier.

Verns open shorter-sideways, thus giving you a much better access position to your stuff inside the pannier.

Mostly I'm two up, so the luggage roll is over the pannier edge and I can open the lid w/o any distraction from the roll.

So I do love that lid opening design :)
Old 06-28-2008, 11:35 AM   #10
tsiklonaut OP

Quote:
Originally Posted by tagesk
First, on the last picture I see two helmets; did you have a pinion or does it belong to another rider? If you had someone on the bike, could you ask him/her if the panniers affected his/her comfort?
Yes, that's my better half and she very much like the panniers, giving her a bit more secure feeling while riding as she says. You also can attach some soft stuff ON the panniers with quick straps and waterproof bags, so they work as a comfty hand-supports. This makes the rear seat rather comfty and desirable

Quote:
Second; can you explain how you remove them? I read "one hex key", but is relatively easy, would you do it every night when you stop at a hotel (tent? Are you mad?), is "5 minutes" a idiom for "not very long" or is "15 minutes" more accurate?
If you're experienced on wrenching, yes, I'd say around 5 minutes and they're off. Maybe for beginner it's 15 minutes. Basically you need to release 4 bolts on each pannier.

Quote:
I like them very much, but when we (wife and I) remove the panniers almost every day to spin around, before installing them again and riding on.
They rather are permanent mount type of panniers giving you much better security than quick-release type of pannier while on the crash scenareo and long term reliability. Native QR panniers have more fragile mounting parts compared to "permanent" mounts. With QR panniers I'd have to replace panniers every few season coz of Estonian potholed roads, corrugations and vibrations.

I rarely take off the panniers myself - while doing maintanance on the bike or if going for serious offroad riding solo. 90% of the time they're on anyways.

I use cheap big inner bags inside the panniers when I need to get the stuff out to go to the hotel/tent etc. And mostly we have things also separated into smaller plastic or vacuum bags, so mostly we only take the stuff we need, only sometimes the full stuff of the pannier when we need to re-organize or clean things etc. Mosty I don't want to carry the weight of the whole DIRTY (riding mostly gravel roads) pannier into the hotel room or tent.

Quote:
PS: Your bike looks very nice. Would have been even better with the red seat (which makes the bike faster)
Nah, silver with black coloured engine and seats is the fastest colour GS

And has to have silver panniers, too:

Cheers!

tsiklonaut screwed with this post 06-28-2008 at 11:48 AM
Old 07-01-2008, 10:41 PM   #11
tsiklonaut OP

Update: just read today - Verns are now available for R1200GS too.

Nicked a pic:

See thread about it here.
Old 07-02-2008, 02:22 AM   #12
tagesk
Tuscan rider

Oddometer: 3,199
Thumb Orderd mine today

The thinking is that

- We ride down to the gelateria for the afternoon treat, no panniers at all.

- We ride our day-tours, having lunch at some remote trattoria. Then we don't carry much, and we can use the original, ugly, round and un-functional BMW bags.

- We ride to Sicilia or Norway, then we can have (much) larger bags firmly installed on the bike. We make inner bags that fits nicely inside, and carry those in during the night.

After some thinking, we have understood that having snap-on isn't that important after all.

So I have orderd a pair today.

[TaSK]
Proud contributor to Wisdom and GSpot FAQ and European Ride Report Index.
IBA: 33616
tagesk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 09:14 AM   #13
Norsman
...a GSophile

Oddometer: 2,347
These look very nice and the continual support for the product is a plus!
Norsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 11:21 AM   #14
groop
So much to ponder

Oddometer: 3,027

I like the two-tone color. Same bike as mine. Maybe a bit too cop-like (unless it was plastered with ADV and Wall Drug stickers). Jesse, are you reading this?

I would like the Vern cases more if they offered a bigger left-side box and exhaust relocator.
groop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 12:21 PM   #15
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,482
Huge

Does he make them any smaller? Those things are huge. Being an experienced back country hiker I know that you do not need all the stuff half of you want to pack around.

They do look to be well made.