Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-02-2008, 10:05 AM   #16
eastbloc
comprador bourgeois

Oddometer: 1,349
Quote:
Originally Posted by frederickflintsone
this is the only reason they are still selling now.

with the caveate that I dont own one, I still say they are an inferior product and not up to world standards, part of there apeal is the nostagia. they make a modern 1950's bike.
That's not a fair assessment. You're off by at least twenty years: overhead valves, disc brakes, CV carbs, electronic ignition, electric start.

Quote:
HD makes a wonderful 1940's bike and they also sell everyone they make.
What, pray tell, makes a modern Harley-Davidson a 1940s bike? The fact that it's a V-twin, or the fact that Harley-Davidson made V-twins in the 1940s?

Quote:
compare a $14,000 (msrp) ural to a $17,000 (msrp) BMW GS and there is realy no comparision (sidecar asside). the BMW GS has taken 1930 engine design to well beyound modern world standards.
So is the GS is a 1930s bike?

I do agree that Ural prices are a bit steep, but they don't have the economy of scale working in their favor the way BMW does. BMW will sell more GSes this year than Ural sold bikes in the US over the entire time they've been in business on our shores. Many of the improvements to the bike over recent years are sourced from the outside, and have to be paid for with hard currency.

What's encouraging is the fact that there aren't that many late-model Urals ending up on the used market, which tells me the owners must be happy!
eastbloc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 11:31 AM   #17
tony the tiger
yeah - what he said...

Oddometer: 9,641
Quote:
...with the caveate that I dont own one, I still say they are an inferior product and not up to world standards, part of there apeal is the nostagia. [sic]
How's about a nice cuppa' ?

Hey Ivan Rider - is the lined surface uncomfortably rough for passengers? I'd wondered about that, and, having already spot painted some rust spots on the interior of my tub, am considering re-working it sometime in the future... Inquiring minds want to know... Been considering the POR 15, myself.

tony the tiger screwed with this post 07-03-2008 at 10:51 AM
tony the tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 07:50 AM   #18
LadyDraco
KillerSmileIHazIt !!

Oddometer: 26,686
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan Rider
The paint your own is much cheaper but didn't look near as good. I prefer LineX.

I've 6 rigs done on the inside and one done inside and outside. It works great and makes them indistructable inside.
Can I make it look nice ??? If I take my time and put a few layers on???
Or is it going to look like crap !!!

Check it from time to time as I'm always adding to it..
My Rides and life on the Farm
LadyDraco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 09:30 AM   #19
claude
Sidecar Jockey

Oddometer: 3,457
Another option worth considering is to powdercoat the body. We do our Freedom Steel bodies this way and it seems to work out well. Black and white are standard colors. Other colors are possible. For camo one can do a base color of , say, Olive drab or tan or whatever and then highlight with flat paint of other colors over the powdercoat. This makes a very duarable finish.
The concern with an existing body of course would be how much, if any, body filler may have been put into it initially or at some point. The body would have to be blasted down to clean metal. Powdercoating requires 400 degrees to set it.
Checking with local powdercoating shops may be worth a shot.

The bodies pictured below are 2" wider than standard. Standard bodies are very close to the same size as a Ural.http://freedomsidecars.com/sidecars/steel_series.htm

Founder: Internet Sidecar Owners Klub at SCT
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/SCT/

President: C Stanley Motorsports Inc.
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/...rsandTrailers/

http://freedomsidecars.com/
claude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 05:04 PM   #20
eisenmann
nOOd

Oddometer: 50
Quote:
this is the only reason they are still selling now.

with the caveate that I dont own one, I still say they are an inferior product and not up to world standards, part of there apeal is the nostagia. they make a modern 1950's bike.
HD makes a wonderful 1940's bike and they also sell everyone they make.

compare a $14,000 (msrp) ural to a $17,000 (msrp) BMW GS and there is realy no comparision (sidecar asside). the BMW GS has taken 1930 engine design to well beyound modern world standards.

when your pike is paid for, strip it down, have all the metal sandblasted then spray it with an epoxy primer. (uesualy a gray-green) to start and then get out the flat camo paint and go to town
I've owned Beemers. They're smooth and German and all that. Try doing some simple maintenance compared to a Ural. OK, for three grand more you can get a GS. How much is that replacement computer? Piston?
Shit! Mirror?
Own one, hell just ride one before you spout off some "facts"... you will see.
Don't make me say i told you so.

Lil' d, Texas
eisenmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 07:38 PM   #21
frederickflintsone
Flaming Misanthrope

Oddometer: 36
the piant shouldnt fall off

Quote:
Originally Posted by eisenmann
Own one, hell just ride one before you spout off some "facts"... you will see.
Don't make me say i told you so.
I have driven more then one, I looked at an older one that blew so much smoke I was afraid the EPA would come (it only had 3,400 kms on the clock). I have ridden in the hack of one and had a much bigger simle than I thought posible. I do not trash them from a position of ignorance. I work in the engineering field an I am critical of how things are produced, what they cost to produce and the level of quality that the customer can count on.
I still want one regardless of my opinion of there overall longevity. I desperatly wish to take my two year old on a motorcycle ride. I also wish to own an new R1200 GSA. at this point I can afford niether, but if I were to make payments on a toy, it would be a GS. I repeatedly see GS's with 60K miles on them for sale. I have never seen a ural for sale with that kind of milage. I am not saying it isnt posible. I dont know.
I research what ever I intend to buy before I buy, and time and time again, people talk about ural's, dneprs and cj's as being very maintainace intensive to own, (with urals rated highest and cj's fairng much worse) I still want one.
my biggest gripe with the 2008 ural is that there is not enought tecnoloical improvements in the bike to justify the huge MSRP. they are probubly using 50 year old tooling to make most of the tub and frame. and 25 year old tooling for the engine. anything new on the bike is from outside vendors.
the bottom line is if you spend $14,000 on a NEW motorcycle the paint shouldnt fall off!!!

2002 MZ 660 streetmoto,
2000 KTM exc520,
yamaha 660 raptor atvr
frederickflintsone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 09:05 PM   #22
jeep44
junk collector

Oddometer: 1,958
You shoulda bought that old Ural, Fred. I bought it,instead. Sure,it was blowing smoke-that's because an exhaust valve was bent. One new valve, and a head gasket,maybe $30-$40 total, and it has been a dependable ,one-kick starter for me. I'm happy with it.
jeep44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 10:24 PM   #23
frederickflintsone
Flaming Misanthrope

Oddometer: 36
didnt know at the time

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeep44
You shoulda bought that old Ural, Fred. I bought it,instead. Sure,it was blowing smoke-that's because an exhaust valve was bent. One new valve, and a head gasket,maybe $30-$40 total, and it has been a dependable, one-kick starter for me. I'm happy with it.
when I looked at the bike you bought, I didnt know what I know now. It was the first ural I ever looked at. my leg was in a cast and i had to have my best freind drive it for me. (he had major issues shifting it witch you didnt have) not knowing how simple the repair was, it seemed best to pass.
in retrospect, it may have been a good bike to pick up. sometimes you have the "should have bought the first one I looked at". I looked at a half dozen wranglers before i bought my last jeep, and I wish I would have looked at a dozen more.
I am glad the bike has worked for you, maybe my looking at it and passing soffend the guy up so you could get the price you got. at the rate my son is going he will have his first pw50 before i can give him a ride in a sidecar.

2002 MZ 660 streetmoto,
2000 KTM exc520,
yamaha 660 raptor atvr
frederickflintsone is offline   Reply With Quote