User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-18-2006, 05:39 PM   #1
space OP
a.k.a. Jake

Oddometer: 2,563
Question Autocom hiss?

I'm using an Active 7 Smart system. It has a constant, quiet hiss. I can't hear it when I'm rolling down the highway, but it's still a minor nuisance, especially given that the Autocom gear ain't cheap. Anyone else experience this? My worry is that I may have screwed it up by running loud music through the unit. When I first got it I didn't know how much the music is amplified, so I plugged my iPod in at a normal volume level and momentarily blasted the hell out of the speakers. (It's not the speakers themselves, though -- I hear the hiss both with Autocom's speakers and with earphones.)

You thoughts?
space is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2006, 06:11 PM   #2
space OP
a.k.a. Jake

Also, here's a pic of the adapter cable I hacked together so I can plug headphones into the Autocom. Yeah, I know Autocom sells a similar adapter, but it's $50! Riiiight. $5 in parts from Radioshack and some leftover phone line, and it works like a charm. (Except for that damn hiss, but I hear that regardless of whether I'm using my adapter.)

Old 03-18-2006, 07:06 PM   #3
rick danger
Off the wagon

Oddometer: 4,869
Audio cables have shielded wires. The braided ground that goes over the outside. Did you compromise this with your homemade dealy? I did that once with a cable for my home theater sub woofer and got a bad hiss. Had to get the proper shielded cable and all was well. Ok I just noticed you say you get the hiss even without the homemade thing, but it still sounds like a ground problem. Are all the connections clean and dry? No cuts or damage.

rick danger screwed with this post 03-18-2006 at 07:15 PM
rick danger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2006, 07:10 PM   #4
dlearl476
Two-bit Throttle Bum

Oddometer: 22,188
Quote:
Originally Posted by rick danger
Audio cables have shielded wires. The braided ground that goes over the outside. Did you compromise this with your homemade dealy?
Probably. There is possibly a "gain structure" issue as well. Try changing the output/input levels of the separate gear and see if it goes away. Sounds like you've got the playback (iPod) level to low and the Autocom level turned up too loud to compensate. Also, sometimes the reason those "Special" adapters are so much is that they aren't simple wires. Might have some level matching transformers in there that you're now operating without.

Politics is the gentle art of getting votes from the poor and campaign funds from the rich by promising to protect each from the other. -- Oscar Ameringer
dlearl476 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2006, 08:39 PM   #5
Bender
I can pass this guy.

Oddometer: 31,242
Mine hisses too, brand new, straight outa the box.
Old 03-18-2006, 09:08 PM   #6
beezil
what would Jack Bauer do?

Oddometer: 38
I also have a slight hiss. Doesn't bother me. It's a lot worse when I plug my Ipod in without a GLI.

NOTE:

I do use an electric ave. amp, for volume control, and a lineout device for the ipod (not sure of the name?); rather than using the headphone jack.
beezil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2006, 09:18 PM   #7
space OP
a.k.a. Jake

Thanks for the responses. I hear the hiss even when I've got nothing at all plugged into the autocom (not even a mic) and I'm using their speakers. I didn't take apart any of the Autocom cables, so all the shielding there should be intact. Sounds like I might just have to live with it.
Old 03-18-2006, 09:25 PM   #8
monkeyman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 374
I looked into making an adaptor cable like yours. I was told that the ground for each ear is not shared inside the unit - IIRC I stuck an ohmmeter across them and they were not the same. You've obviously connected the the two grounds (inside your jack) and made them shared, whould could be Bad. Have you damaged your unit? Dunno. Is that the cause of your hiss? Dunno. But, I spent the 50 bucks and no hiss.
monkeyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2006, 09:31 PM   #9
Just_Sean
herewegoagain

Oddometer: 14,504

http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...ductId=2062214
Just_Sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2006, 08:36 AM   #10
Threeflys
Eternal newbie

Oddometer: 102
Any audio system must be grounded extremly well, barring that I have a very slight hiss that I hear on my AutoCom when I have nothing plugged into it. I don't really hear it when I'm playing music.
Chris
Threeflys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2006, 10:19 AM   #11
Bender
I can pass this guy.

Oddometer: 31,242
I wired mine directly to the aux fusebox which is straight to the battery. My autocom hisses the minute I plug it in, engine running or not. The Ipod easily overcomes the hiss so it isn't really an issue for me. No alternator whine at all.
Old 03-19-2006, 02:11 PM   #12
space OP
a.k.a. Jake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bender
I wired mine directly to the aux fusebox which is straight to the battery. My autocom hisses the minute I plug it in, engine running or not. The Ipod easily overcomes the hiss so it isn't really an issue for me. No alternator whine at all.
I'm hearing the hiss when I'm just connected to an auto battery sitting in my room, so no power noise issues. Odd that some people experience hiss and others don't.
Old 03-19-2006, 05:09 PM   #13
markgsnw
WTF?

Oddometer: 3,529
how much hiss? I mean, it's a motorcycle intercom, not an MC602

2011 Moto Guzzi Norge 8V GT

markgsnw screwed with this post 03-20-2006 at 07:49 AM
markgsnw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2006, 05:31 PM   #14
space OP
a.k.a. Jake

Quote:
Originally Posted by markgsnw
how much hiss? I mean, it's an motorcycle intercom, not this a MC602
OK, OK, point well taken. I'll stop my griping.

Hmm ... but now you've got me wondering if I can fit one of those MC602 units in my topcase. You know, to go with the 24-bit DAT player and Etymotic earphones.
Old 03-20-2006, 07:48 AM   #15
markgsnw
WTF?

Oddometer: 3,529
I want to see how you're going to power it

2011 Moto Guzzi Norge 8V GT
markgsnw is offline   Reply With Quote