User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-20-2013, 12:04 AM   #1
pne OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 723
quiet helmet for a naked bike

Hi guys, its time for a new helmet and I need some recommendations. The superduke has no wind protection and I'm finding none of my helmets work very well with it. I'm looking for a full face helmet that is quiet, vents well, and most importantly does not buffet in the wind.

My last helmets were:
KBC VR something or other race replica - changing the shield is like brain surgery on this thing, chin strap too short. Has the weirdest detente for the face shield, no ability to just crack it open a hair.

Gmax GM68S - actually this helmet does everything very well, but whistles at certain speeds and does not have any EPS liner around the chin or under the ears, which is a little cheesy. I like this helmet but I don't feel very safe in it.

Scorpion EXO700 - I like the antifog shield, but this thing buffets like crazy in the wind. It is really tiring for long rides feeling your head getting battered about. The worst thing is it doesn't vent well either besides the air rushing up from underneath the chin and drying your eyes out.

So.. what are you guys wearing?
pne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 12:25 AM   #2
Sport
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 350
I have three, all EXO 700s but I have none of the problems you describe. Mine vent well, do not move around in the wind and with the chin spoiler in place wind doesn't come up from my neck when it's cold. Wish I could be of some help.
Sport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 12:30 AM   #3
andrewhtf
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 118
Naked bike? Do you ride fast and furious? If yes i think the arai rx7 rr5 should be good on ya.
andrewhtf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 05:26 AM   #4
rbrsddn
3banger

Oddometer: 2,501
No helmet is totally quiet

You've got to wear ear plugs. I have an Arai RX-Q, and ride a Speed Triple.
rbrsddn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 07:49 AM   #5
No False Enthusiasm
a quiet adventurer

Oddometer: 4,406
Shoei Qwest receives high marks as a quiet helmet.

I wear one on a Bonneville, but I still wear ear plugs.

NFE
No False Enthusiasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 09:12 AM   #6
Smoke Eater 3
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 629
Arai are the quietest in my opinion.
Smoke Eater 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 09:21 AM   #7
Ape76
NB

Oddometer: 171
I'm on a naked bike as well and have experienced this. Use ear plugs as others said earlier and get a properly fitted helmet; lighter weight helps too. My Suomys have "O" buffeting at higher speeds but its all about fit and headshape.

Arais and Shoeis are generally quieter too if they fit...

Try a small windscreen as well
Ape76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 09:36 AM   #8
cug
--

Oddometer: 4,845
Noise is partly a question of fit. So whether an Arai or Shoei is quieter for you might depend on how each fits you.

The new Shoei GT-Air has gotten really high marks for its aerodynamics and for being exceptionally quiet.

In general it's true that the less outside obstacles the air has to flow over the quieter a helmet will be. So if you want really quiet, stay away from "peaks" (like on MX or Dualsport Helmets), stay also away from "flip up helmets" as the mechanism puts some more edges in the shell which create noise.

I like flip ups, so I trade some noise for the comfort of the flip front. The Shoei MultiTec I have is good, the NeoTec is supposed to be better. The old Shoei I had (don't recall the name, but likely some pre-pre-...-predecessor or the GT-Air) was about as quiet as the MultiTec I have now - 15 years later. That might tell you enough about how a modern fully faced and closed helmet might work.

Currently I even consider getting slightly different glasses and getting a GT Air instead of replacing my MultiTec with a new flip front helmet just to get the better airflow and noise characteristics.

One more comment: I always use ear plugs.
cug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 11:37 AM   #9
pne OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 723
I always use earplugs on the highway, sometimes not in the city for short trips. But even with earplugs a whistle or booming can be annoying after several hours, which I am hoping to avoid
pne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 11:45 AM   #10
Shooplick
Adventurer

Oddometer: 38
many miles on a speed triple

the quietest helmet ive had so far on my speed triple has been my shoei rf1100. very quiet and stable got another just for my track bike.

140 mph and no buffeting on a daytona 675
Shooplick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 12:30 PM   #11
usgser
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,110
Quote:
Originally Posted by cug View Post
Noise is partly a question of fit. So whether an Arai or Shoei is quieter for you might depend on how each fits you.
I like flip ups, so I trade some noise for the comfort of the flip front. The Shoei MultiTec I have is good, the NeoTec is supposed to be better.
I agree "fit" is very important. I also love my Shoei Multitec. Best helmet I've ever had for comfort, noise level, venting etc. and I've "heard" the Neotech is even better. Helmets are like seats. No one brand/model is best for everyone but if i crash mine I'll look for another Multitech or maybe a Neotech rather than gamble on an unknown. This is my first Shoei and they made a believer out of me for comfort.
Just my "opinion".
usgser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 12:35 PM   #12
cug
--

Oddometer: 4,845
Quote:
Originally Posted by pne View Post
But even with earplugs a whistle or booming can be annoying after several hours, which I am hoping to avoid
That's why you should avoid helmets with lots of external gismos. My XD-3 is the best helmet I have for local runs in the mountains here with lots and lots of light changes. The "peak" is really helping there.

My Shoei MultiTec is very noisy when I open the top vent, but is pretty damn good for a flip up helmet. A Schuberth C3 wasn't much quieter for me when I tested it.

For my next helmet I want:

- longer, better chin strap mechanism than my XD-3 has (totally sucks)

- an internal sun visor that is operated NOT at the bottom of the helmet, so I can still attach my Sena SMH-10

- very likely a flip front

- good venting, the Shoei MultiTec is already pretty good, the Arai fogs up a bit faster, should get a pinlock visor for it

- fully removable liner for easy washing (on the MultiTec I can not remove the top liner)

Overall, the Shoei helmets are better for me than the Arais. I think the quality is on par, but Shoei adds some more gadgets that I really like, for example the internal sun visor. I personally don't believe that this compromises safety enough to not offer it.
cug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 12:39 PM   #13
mrphotoman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,051
I bought a HJC HJC RPHA-MAX and it is the quietest helmet I have ever owned. HUGE difference, very light and it is really comfortable and it comes with a pinlock as well.
mrphotoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 02:12 PM   #14
squish
Out of the office.

Oddometer: 6,097
Noise is super subjective
Helmet fit is also subjective
How someone fits on the bike, helmet height above say, the headlight
and what has been done to the bike all play a part.

For me my Shoei RF1100 with the vents closed is decently quiet with ear plugs in and the little chin spolier deal in place.
This is on a Honda 919 with the Honda Fly screen and I'm 5'8" with a 28" inseam.
Open the vents and it's like the gates of hell have been opened in my helmet. regardless of what bike I'm on.

The same helmet, same me on my mostly stock DL650 is much louder. On my R100GS it's fine.

My old Arai RX7, was by far across the board the loudest helmet I ever owned.
It got a little better when I changed to a non tear off style, recurved facesheild with out the tear off posts or holes for them.

Same RF1100 on the wife's Hypermotard is totally fine for noise level.

I always ride with earplugs in (I use 3m foam expanding ones) and sunglasses or safety glasses on.
Old 05-20-2013, 02:29 PM   #15
jas123
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 103
I ride a Superduke also, and wear a Bell RS-1 and it is quiet. I have some hearing issues, that is why I bought it, but I still wear earplugs to protect the hearing I have left.
Bell used to be one the best helmets made, then they dropped off for a few years. Now Bell is back and making some good stuff. Check out web bike world for a review on it plus tons of other helmet reviews.
jas123 is online now   Reply With Quote