Yellow Pig
Allergic to Asphalt!

Oddometer: 7,217
Thanks
Old 12-04-2006, 09:08 PM   #197
bpeterson
I just tweeted it

Oddometer: 1,030
Viosport has a nice page to view all the major camcorders and their specs.

good luck, you'll enjoy the helmet cam!

http://www.viosport.com/support/inde...turer=Show+All
'02 DR-Z 400S - for sale soon
'06 TE 610 - sold
bpeterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2006, 02:40 PM   #198
KCDakar
What are we waiting for?

Oddometer: 3,388
http://www.samsung.com/Products/Camc...C_X210LXAA.asp

I think I am leaning toward this one. I can pick one up ready to go for about $400. Thats a deal for me as I already have extra SD cards.
What say you???

Save $5 on Smugmug by entering coupon code: GJBcMk1uLoZm6
KCDakar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2006, 02:46 PM   #199
WageSlave
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 345
I'm waiting to see what the pricing will be on the Elmo SUV-Cam.

Current ride - '09 DR-Z400SM (Adventurized)
WageSlave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2006, 03:03 PM   #200
mars
Starbucks anyone?

Oddometer: 1,897
I have been dabbling in this for about a year now, I went the viosport and the archos disc recorder. For the best picture get the cheapest dvcam you can get with an av input. I have the canon zr100, it cost about 399. Its been upgraded to some new number but the same camera. The great thing about the archos is it will record hours of riding unattended. I did by the viosport helmet cam and had to send it back three times before we got things sorted out. It seems the supplier for the scout camera body didnít get the machining right and the CCD is a little off center. I ordered the 2.5 mm wide angle lens with mine and had vignette problems from the start. They replaced it finally with the other model that is the same camera just not in black, I had a heck of a time convincing them there was a problem as they were testing the cameras on a regular TV that cropped the outside edge of the picture but we finally got that sorted out and they made good on it.
As for the Archos recorder, I bumped the data rate up to 25 kbs and I started getting dropped frames on video that had a lot of motion in it. Thatís about everything from a helmet. I have since dropped it down to 15 and it seems to do better now. I can get about 4 hours of riding on one battery charge with the recorder and the battery pack that comes with the camera hangs in there as well. I had a custom vest made to carry everything in, the only problem is when I walk into a gas station I look like I have a bomb strapped to my chest, I get some strange looks.
this is one of my earlier rides with the unit, you can see the dropped frames and this is before I learned to duck tape the camera so it doesn't turn in the mount. Its a little skewed.
http://www.motorheadjohn.com/webvideos/trinity.wmv

Another ride in late September.

http://www.motorheadjohn.com/webvideos/polecreek.wmv
mars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2006, 08:44 PM   #201
spidennis
SandStorm Adventures

Oddometer: 1,275
I'd like to see your custom vest .....
I use my chest protector for mounting points.
..... always ride with armor as I'm always off road ....
List of my Spot Tracker Adventures:
http://www.spotadventures.com/user/p...?user_id=53368
spidennis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2006, 09:23 PM   #202
BigDogAdventures
Fart Letter

Oddometer: 4,883
Thanks for the advice Mars and others.
I just bought the viosport package system---with the Sony DCR-HC96 mini-DV recorder and the cam 3---I'm having a ball with it and got it set up on my helmet perfect the first time out. I talked my son into buying me the Archos hard drive recorder for X-mas-----so I'll have 2 recording options.

I've ordered a pelican case to put all this in and would like to have it in a back pack. I want to make some good video this spring of rides I've done and have a lot of experimenting to do with it. I'll have all winter to scope out editing software and I need to work on the mike---as it sure does pick up a lot unwanted noise-------I had it in my tankbag on my 950 the first time out and the engine overwhelmed the mike-----sounded like wind noise, but it did it sitting still. I'm sure I'll get it all worked out. Maybe I shouldn't be too concerned with this and edit this stuff out later on-----but I'm a newbie with this stuff.

I do have to talk to viosport as my cam3 was not properly assembled--and the lens is not straight with the tapped mountings. But the video is really good--------I think I will be happy with it.
2013 Husky 650 TR650 Terra
BigDogAdventures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2006, 09:29 PM   #203
BigDogAdventures
Fart Letter

Oddometer: 4,883
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow Pig

The problem is that there do not seem to be many cameras that are made w/ these specs anymore. The only one I could find that fits the bill is the Sony HC96. Even for this one it looks like the AV input might be on the detachable base

I have the HC96 with the viosport cam 3-------the AV input is both on the camera itself and the base-------you don't need the base out in the field when recording with the helmet cam.

I bougth their complete package deal---------I've only had it for 2 weeks, but I think it's going to work out fine-------I just have some tweaking to do with it.
2013 Husky 650 TR650 Terra
BigDogAdventures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2006, 10:51 PM   #204
Yellow Pig
Allergic to Asphalt!

What ticks me off it that they use to put the LANC port on the lower end $200-300 models . Now you cant get the LANC till the $750 level.

I figure this is a camera that is going to get beaten around a bit on a dirt bike and should not be just under $1K.

Plus the bullet cam is limited to a max of 580 lines, but the only camera that has the LANC is a 3.3 Mega pixle camera. That's a lot of pixels and $$$ wasted!
Old 12-05-2006, 10:56 PM   #205
Yellow Pig
Allergic to Asphalt!

FYI: Batteries Plus will custom assemble any battery setup you need. Just tell them the Volts and amps needed and they can do it at a reasonable cost.

My Craftsman powerdrill battery went tits up and Sears wanted $56 for a new battery for a drill kit that cost me $75. Batteries Plus is refurbishing the battery w/ better components and a higher Amp rating for $36.

If you need a helmet cam batt w/ more longevity they can hook you up.
Old 12-06-2006, 10:54 AM   #206
mars
Starbucks anyone?

Oddometer: 1,897
Here is a picture of the vest I had made.

This is the link to the website.
http://www.green-woods.com/
This is the go-to place for a vest; she makes them primarily for radio operators so this was a new design for her.

I had her add a pocket for the camera when not being used and she came up with some cool flaps on the top that will keep any dust out, something you need to stay on top of with tape decks.
The battery pouch on the picture left will hold larger batteries but I have found the simple battery pouch that came with the camera works just fine with inexpensive mimh batteries and it has kept the camera going for as long as 5 hours. The vest will fit over a chest protector just fine and has a mesh backing for ventilation.

While riding rougher sections I found the standard plug they had for the power cable would loose contact for just an instant then stop the camera then the recorder would stop because there was no signal. You can see it hanging out of the battery pocket. That might have something to do with the fact I need a third set of rims on my 640, they are starting to resemble stop signs. I had a few very good rides that didnít record before I figured that one out. Sony makes a plug that they used on their BP-90 batteries that solved the problem; it is spring loaded and keeps contact very well. I am pretty sure they donít make that battery any more; you might find a substitute and Markertech or somewhere like that.
When using the Archos be sure and lock the buttons when you start the recording, I lost a couple of good rides before getting that one figured out.

I have been tinkering with this system since June and it seems almost ready for prime time now except for the mic, it blows chunks. I am a tv producer by trade and have never found a mic that sounds worse than this one. I love the position of it, you can zip the cord inside a jacket and get good sound of your voice and the bike but it just sucks quality wise. This is the last issue that needs to be addressed.

I found putting the camera on the underside of the visor is the best placement. My visor is adjustable and gives me a little choice if I want to get more of the foreground. Good luck with your experience and I hope you have fewer issues than I did. I plan on a number of videos next spring when the weather clears up. To get a dependable system you need to make it simple, keep that in mind when you are putting your system together.

One last thing, I think the picture quality of the viosport camera is barely acceptable but itís a helmet cam.
mars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2006, 01:42 PM   #207
blackbirdzach
Daily Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,430
Review of the Oregon Scientific ATC2K weatherproof helmet cam...

...as soon as I figure out how in the hell to attatch it to my helmet. Geez. Anyone else have one of these?
blackbirdzach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2006, 02:41 PM   #208
artk
hi

Oddometer: 383
nope, but i hear it has sound and light problems, video should be ok in the daytime

looking forward to a review and some sample video!
artk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2006, 02:50 PM   #209
blackbirdzach
Daily Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,430
Quote:
Originally Posted by xncnc
nope, but i hear it has sound and light problems, video should be ok in the daytime

looking forward to a review and some sample video!
It also has "mounting to your helmet" problems. It says on the box it's for extreme sports and motocross is in there, but there's no way to mount it on a motocycle helmet with the inculded hardware.
blackbirdzach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2006, 08:09 PM   #210
Trailryder42
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,060
Industrial velcro is your friend.
Trailryder42 is offline   Reply With Quote