Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-12-2008, 04:13 PM   #421
Stanza
R1200GS Mmmmm

Oddometer: 156
http://www.cyclopsmotorsports.com/Motocam.html

Anyone tried this one out?
Riding faster than everyone else only guarantees you'll ride alone.
Stanza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 02:07 AM   #422
buildit
Guns, bikes and Bows

Oddometer: 13,992
I've been playing with several diffrent ways of shooting video. Mounted camera on bike, Oregon Atc on helmet, even tried a video camera. They all used an sd card and to date I've had less than stellar results.
A friend uses a tape driven recorder and while I have only seen it on the computer it looks much more stable and focused than any sd device. That being said I do like the POV helmet cam and the idea of having a remote. If amyone is using that would they mind giving a review?
I also e-mailed for more info on the DSR-100. Their site is very uninformative about the recorder and what it's specifications are.

Here are some samples of diffrent results I've had.
1. Nikon Coolpix L2 mounted on engine guard. In laid video was shot by a friend and added later.

2. Atc mounted on helmet

3. Panasonic video camera mounted in engine guard just like the nikon. Unfortionatly I had it set on wide angel so the video got compressed.
2006 KLR650
2001 YX426 (street Legal)

buildit screwed with this post 02-13-2008 at 02:20 AM
buildit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 05:51 AM   #423
RedMenace
Adventure Sidecar

Oddometer: 5,179
Quote:
Originally Posted by buildit
I've been playing with several diffrent ways of shooting video. Mounted camera on bike, Oregon Atc on helmet, even tried a video camera. They all used an sd card and to date I've had less than stellar results.
A friend uses a tape driven recorder and while I have only seen it on the computer it looks much more stable and focused than any sd device. That being said I do like the POV helmet cam and the idea of having a remote. If anyone is using that would they mind giving a review?
I also e-mailed for more info on the DSR-100. Their site is very uninformative about the recorder and what it's specifications are.
What problems are you having with the SD format?

I was using a Panasonic palmcorder, which records to tape, mounted on my sidecar and mounted on a boom on my sidecar. The vid quality was good, but vibration would cause the image to break up and pixilate and the camera was very vulnerable to dust moisture and temperature extremes. I was hoping the SD card recorders, with no moving parts, would not have these problems...
RedMenace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 09:23 AM   #424
buildit
Guns, bikes and Bows

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedMenace
What problems are you having with the SD format?

I was using a Panasonic palmcorder, which records to tape, mounted on my sidecar and mounted on a boom on my sidecar. The vid quality was good, but vibration would cause the image to break up and pixilate and the camera was very vulnerable to dust moisture and temperature extremes. I was hoping the SD card recorders, with no moving parts, would not have these problems...
You might notice the distortion from vibration in the Panasonic video above. The ATC was absolutly horrible when I mounted it on the engine guard on the opposite side of the bike.

Aside from vibration the video quality during movement is choppy at times even at 30 fps. Also have you noticed a lack of sound quality from the ATC. I can have the thing right on top of my head and yet I sound like I'm in a tunnel 30 ft away. I have been very disapointed in the quality of video from the ATC vs my simple nikon camera, both shooting at 30 fps and 640.
2006 KLR650
Old 02-13-2008, 10:09 AM   #425
RedMenace
Adventure Sidecar

I got acid flash back, Salvador Dali warping artifact when I mounted the ATC2000 to the bike or sidecar, but not mounted to my helmet. The vid quality is"OK" for a cheap rugged self contained vid cam. THe microphone on mine always yielded poor audio, now it doesn't seem to work at all, but it took some good hits out in the brus. Check the sound out on this clip

Old 02-13-2008, 10:38 AM   #426
buildit
Guns, bikes and Bows

Quote:
THe microphone on mine always yielded poor audio, now it doesn't seem to work at all, but it took some good hits out in the brus. Check the sound out on this clip
I'm on dial up so I was only able to watch a some but I could recognize the sound of the face shield going up and down and the sound of that branch knocking the ATC.
So have you made any progress with the new unit?
2006 KLR650
Old 02-13-2008, 10:59 AM   #427
RedMenace
Adventure Sidecar

Quote:
I'm on dial up so I was only able to watch a some but I could recognize the sound of the face shield going up and down and the sound of that branch knocking the ATC.
So have you made any progress with the new unit?
So you didn't get to the part where the camera drags me off the bike by my helmet and I start swearing? You missed the best part!

Very frustrating. It's been locking up and sometimes recording bad files. Tech service sez it may be a battery problem but they didn't really sound like they knew very much....

The cam itself is great. I probably shouldn't have cheaped out with the recorder.
Old 02-13-2008, 11:17 AM   #428
buildit
Guns, bikes and Bows

Quote:
So you didn't get to the part where the camera drags me off the bike by my helmet and I start swearing? You missed the best part!

Very frustrating. It's been locking up and sometimes recording bad files. Tech service sez it may be a battery problem but they didn't really sound like they knew very much....

The cam itself is great. I probably shouldn't have cheaped out with the recorder.
I've been surprised by how some expensive video stuff can be very crappy and some cheap stuff is good. The Nikon is a great expamle of a camera that cost under $200 and is very good in my book. I got a Olympus Stylus for christmas that was almost $300 and it sucked! I ended up returning it because the video would only record 9 seconds at a time on 640 res.

I am really trying to find a camera/recorder that I can use to make high quality video from my rides but so far most units are cost prohibitive and require many add ons. Like the POV, at $700 for the basic unit and another $200 in lenses and sd cards it isn't in the cards right now. However, the resolution they say it has is amazing. Plus the recorder looks pretty rugged and capable of surviving Ohio single track trails!
2006 KLR650
Old 02-13-2008, 03:12 PM   #429
rhinoWERX
Crikey mate!

Oddometer: 839
VHoldR...

After a rather long wait, I just (today) took delivery of VHoldR wearable camcorder. I wanted something self contained, that wrote to flash media and didn't require cables cleverly routed everywhere.

Other than unpacking it of the box, haven't had much of a chance to play with it. I need to go pick up a 2GB MicroSD card for it. Hopefully I'll get some footage this weekend and post it up for those who may be interested.

Product details here - http://www.vholdr.com/

Cheers,
-Jack
IBA #30079
rhinoWERX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 03:41 PM   #430
buildit
Guns, bikes and Bows

I saw those online but it seemed like it was another version of the ATC2000. After all you have to record video riding, then watch the video to know if the dam camera is mounted correctly. I'll be interested to hear exactly how well it works.
2006 KLR650
Old 02-14-2008, 12:45 PM   #431
buildit
Guns, bikes and Bows

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uneasy Rider
Ive got the Motocomm dsr 100. Its a nice setup & quite affordable.

http://www.cyclegadgets.com/Products...sp?item=MC-DSR

There are also different Lipstick cams you can get as an upgrade later for increased resolution.

Do you guys have them mounted on your bikes or your helmets? Im trying the helmet setup, but would love to see some more creative mounting solutions.
I checked out this one and e-mailed them some questions.
Hi,
I am interested in more information about your DSR-100 package. Specificaly the following.
1. type and life of recording unit battery
2. is recording device shock/dust/water resistant?
3. fps and resolution of recording?
4. format video is recorded in?
5. will recorded material in other formats play on the recorder?
6. Maximum sd card capacity? Will a 4gig card work?
And this was the reply:
I'll give you the information I have.

1. Battery is a 1800mAh Lithium. Manufacturer says on full charge unit lasts 6 hours with screen on. 8 hours with screen off.
2. Manufacturer makes no claims in their book about being shock/dust/water resistant. The camera itself is but the recording device is not water proof.
3. 320x240 @30fps.
4. Not sure. I know I watched my video with Window Media Player. The file stored as a .ASF file. It also says NTSC.
5. I do not know if other formats work on the player.
6. Book say maximum 2 gig.

I have used it and I like it. It is not the highest quality video but it is still pretty cool. You can get more info from the manufacturer.

RF Limited/Magnum International
Manufacturer of MotoComm
I guess my comments would be 320X240 is very low and I have never heard of >.ASF file format. I guess this is a good case of get what you're paying for.
2006 KLR650
Old 02-14-2008, 01:04 PM   #432
RedMenace
Adventure Sidecar

Still playing with my set up. here is a short clip on Smugmug . I think you need quicktime to veiw it.

The point of veiw shots are with the ATC2000, the shots of me driving are the Sony 520 recorded with the DXG 521. At least some of the problems I was having with the DXG were due to a low battery.

http://adventuresidecar.smugmug.com/...558_FmGGf-A-LB
Old 02-14-2008, 02:20 PM   #433
buildit
Guns, bikes and Bows

Quote:
Still playing with my set up. here is a short clip on Smugmug . I think you need quicktime to veiw it.

The point of veiw shots are with the ATC2000, the shots of me driving are the Sony 520 recorded with the DXG 521. At least some of the problems I was having with the DXG were due to a low battery.

http://adventuresidecar.smugmug.com/...558_FmGGf-A-LB
I'm impressed with the quality of the film from the DXG521 on the boom. Does it record in 640X480? Thanks
2006 KLR650
Old 02-14-2008, 02:28 PM   #434
RedMenace
Adventure Sidecar

Quote:
I'm impressed with the quality of the film from the DXG521 on the boom. Does it record in 640X480? Thanks
I am not sure. I think it records at 640x480 but the manual is a little ambiguous as to whether that is all video recording (digcam, 2nd source-camera-tv computer?)
Old 02-14-2008, 06:06 PM   #435
buildit
Guns, bikes and Bows

Quote:
I am not sure. I think it records at 640x480 but the manual is a little ambiguous as to whether that is all video recording (digcam, 2nd source-camera-tv computer?)
One way I've been able to recognize 640 vs 320 is simply by opening the raw footage in Quick time. The size of the window for 640 is larger tham 320. You can test this with your ATC2000 since it has both settings.
2006 KLR650