Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-30-2005, 05:59 PM   #46
Photog
Charismatic Megafauna

Oddometer: 46,231
Quote:
Originally Posted by bernbern22
Question, I just want to record my commute/ drivin around, whats a good camcorder to use with the helmetcamara
thanks
Anything with A/V inputs will work fine. Most newer camcorders use a cable with a little mini plug on one end and 3 RCA plugs (audio L, audio R, video) on the other end. The mini end goes in the camcorder; the RCA plugs mate up with the lipstick camera. Sometimes you'll need a little barrel adapter to go male-to-male. They're a buck or two at any Radio Shack. Some kits include them.

If you can get a camcorder with LANC input that's even better. That will allow you to use one of the remote controls that will turn the camcorder on, start recording, stop recording, etc.

If your camera has microphone input you can plug in the little lavaliere mic that comes with the helmet cam. You'll want to put it somewhere so that it's not getting a lot of wind blast. If worn on the rider, clip it inside their jacket but away from the zippers, etc. so there's no noise from the mic hitting hard bits.

If you're using a tank bag, you can suspend the mic in the tank bag so that it doesn't contact anything. It'll pick up exhaust noise/engine noise just fine.

So--look for:
A/V input
microphone input
LANC input

Sony Digital 8 is a good inexpensive format and is backwards compatible for Hi-8. You can find older ones on Ebay--like the TRV240--for $200 or so. I've been using the TRV240 for about 4 years now for a cheap acquisition deck. Never a failure in the field, even when strapped to motorcycles, ATV's, etc.

Everything is moving to miniDV now. That's fine, too. Just look for the features I listed. I tend to not use my expensive DV gear for an acquisition deck/camera just because it's expensive to fix/replace if the rider wipes out. The lipstick cameras themselves...especially the Helmetcamera.com model with the CNC protective mount...are pretty indestructible. I usually make a few mods to the wiring and battery pack so that I"ve got some redundancies and all my battery packs are identical between gear, but other than that I use a stock Helmetcam.

Like I like. Yep.
Photog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2005, 06:47 PM   #47
bernbern22
Adventurer

Oddometer: 64
photog

thx for the info
do you record your drive for just for fun, or what?
bernbern22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2005, 06:26 AM   #48
Global Rider
Alps Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,720
Quote:
Question, I just want to record my commute/ drivin around, whats a good camcorder to use with the helmetcamara
thanks
You don't need much of a camcorder if all you plan to do is use it with your helmet camera.

The camcorder simply acts as a recording VCR for the helmet camera that you are attaching. All the upper end features such as quality lens, image stabilization, a kazillion lines of resolution, etc, don't enter the picture.

If your helmet camera is a 380 line unit, then that is all you'll get in picture quality, even if your camcorder is a 525 line unit.

Here is a link to a thread on the Horizons Unlimited forum that I started.

I've done a bit of on-bike video recording on previous tours. Makes for great memories.

Euro & North American Travel & Technical Stuff for the R1150 GS & Adventure

Euro & Alps Motorcycle Tours - Priced Right, How to go about

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.....A. Einstein
Global Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2005, 12:20 PM   #49
Photog
Charismatic Megafauna

Quote:
thx for the info
do you record your drive for just for fun, or what?
Professional photographer. I often take on assignments where I have to mount these cameras on or in anything from F-15's to tanks to motorcycles.

Like I like. Yep.
Old 05-01-2005, 03:05 PM   #50
bigsnowdog
Sylvan Dweller

Oddometer: 18,908
What about bugs?

NRA life

"It's not true that I had nothing on. I had the radio on."
Marilyn Monroe

bigsnowdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2005, 04:19 PM   #51
Mr. Reaper
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 174
???

Quote:
thanks
Why???
IBA #10606
Mr. Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2005, 04:23 PM   #52
Renazco
Formerly AKA Boejangles

Oddometer: 4,739
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigsnowdog
What about bugs?
They sell an anti bug spray and it avoids bugs hitting the lens, works on headlights and face shields as well,,,,
what will they think of next
Renazco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2005, 10:33 PM   #53
Oly
Deadlines whooshing by

Oddometer: 8,099
Quote:
Originally Posted by boejangles
They sell an anti bug spray and it avoids bugs hitting the lens, works on headlights and face shields as well,,,,
what will they think of next
Can I apply with a helicopter? I have about 5,000 of cotton just comming out of the ground that I would like to keep the bugs off.
Oly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2005, 07:28 PM   #54
gts
Bark Buster

Oddometer: 485
helmet camera

Anyone else do this? I got into it when I started riding offroad in '99. The hassle of running it takes away from the pleasure of riding but it pays back now that now that bike season is over in Boston. This is my setup:

My camcorder is an old bulky sony digital but it's still kicking - I have crashed it hard enough to skip the recording head, I've ridden in heavy rain, dust, heat, basically done everything to it that the manual says not to. My only regret is that now, one that's 10x better is a lot less than the $735 I paid back in the day Now you can buy digital decks about the size of an old walkman for a lot less...

I've posted in the tech forum on purpose; not sure if my web host limit can handle the hits that most of this site gets. I've seen a little video here but would like to see more - I'm sure there is some to go with all the killer photos that get posted. I'll bump this once in awhile.

Here's a shot of 12A just south of pratt road in alstead NH. The road was ground + overlaid last summer, then closed by floods in October.

http://h1.ripway.com/gts/street/12A-WEB.wmv
gts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2005, 09:09 PM   #55
Ron Seida
Adventman

Oddometer: 1,249
Thanx for the info, i've often wondered how to plug a remote camera into my Sony. Say, what kind of mike do you use?
Ron Seida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2005, 09:18 PM   #56
sfarson
On a Ride

Oddometer: 2,128
gts... Excellent. I think we've exchanged a message or two here and at H-D TechTalk. Your brief vid was nice as well. Great potential eh? Especially when one can't fire up the two wheeled thing. You captured very well the great H-D exhaust note. How did you mask the wind noise to the mic?

You did hit upon one of the hassles (if not the major hassle) of using a bulletcam with a camcorder -- the nasty spaghetti network of cables.
sfarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2005, 09:36 PM   #57
janders
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 375
Great video and cool setup!

What helmetcam are you using? And how did you mount it to your helmet?
Old 12-08-2005, 05:16 AM   #58
Photog
Charismatic Megafauna

In extreme situations I can get up to 7 cameras mounted to my GS since I do ride training video. They're all D8 cameras, and I just route the cabling into a specially-modified Pelican box. For just one camera for my own personal use or easy shoots, I just put the record-camera into my tank bag, and run the cabling through a custom harness to wherever the camera is mounted. I use a modified ram mount system combined with a shock-mount for the armored case for the lipstick camera since it can be adapted to several hard points on the GS easily. I usually isolate the mic if it's there for ambient noise, or mount it taped to the rider's chest inside their jacket to eliminate wind noise, offset so there's no fastener/zipper noise.

The guy I work with also has a camera tower mounted to his training bike...we can get a nice aerial view from above and behind the rider.

Like I like. Yep.
Old 12-08-2005, 06:19 AM   #59
Lomax
Nanu-Nanu Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,456
I have a old Canon camera and am using a "Helmetcamera.com" lipstick camera. This setup works good when the camera is mounted on the helmet but I get a lot of vibration if I try to mount the camera on a RAM mount. The only problem I have with this setup is the bulk as you have mentioned. I got really stupid the other night and went out and bought a Samsung Sports Cam Corder as it is about as compact as it gets. I will report back after I have had a chance to get it mounted up and on a bike. Here is a link to what I got. http://product.samsung.com/event/opt...portscam_site/

I fully expect the video quality to be much poorer but time will tell.

BTW: Fantastic audio on your clip. HOW did you do that?

But only Sfarson can take real video's of any of us here in Colorado.

Cheers.
Marc
Old 12-08-2005, 05:43 PM   #60
gts
Bark Buster

Oddometer: 485
Thanks for the responses!
the camera can be analog or digital, but video inputs are required. On mine when you run it in "vcr" mode it knows to record through the remote.

The mic is from radio shack, I think it's a tie-clip type; not very high quality. It's a lot less sensitive than than the camcorder mic, plus I wrap it in foam to cut out wind + bag noise and it's usually inside a fanny pack or saddle bag. The wires have to be packed pretty carefully or the connections will snap/crackle/pop during playback - real annoying to listen to. My current bike has pretty loud pipes when I get on it it's the first vehicle that has come through that dinky mic so clearly. I had a real sphincter moment later in that clip when a wet straightaway ended... it would really suck to crash while trying to get something on film.

I've used www.helmet-cam.com and www.helmetcameras.com for parts; the first website has a nice housing for the camera that velcros to your helmet or the bike. Tank mounts give great shots of the speedometers + leaning but being able to turn the camera with your head is good too, just make sure you watch the road of course. A helmet mount will help absorb some bumps too, and with mine I was lucky to have the image stabilizing function work through the remote. Pretty important for off road filming LOL.

7 cameras, now that is a lot of spaghetti! I've mostly stuck to helmet mounts. Here's a wacky one I did on a previous bike; the vibration was pretty bad with this one.

Pretty silly setup so I only did it once Here's a clip from that ride

http://h1.ripway.com/gts/street/ADV/TailCam.wmv

Bonus points if you can name the helmet graphics. Those training videos sound like a lot of work went into them, I'd be interested to see some. Someone once told me that data collection was easy + it's the processing that's a PITA... they were right as far as filming. Editing takes time + patience. I'll post some more here once in awhile, thanks again

Janders, great sig, and photog, I fell for your link...

gts screwed with this post 12-08-2005 at 05:50 PM
gts is offline   Reply With Quote