Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Equipment
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-10-2008, 12:33 PM   #601
markwoodlief
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,618
Anyone used the GoPro Digital Hero Helmet Camera?

http://www.goprocamera.com/index7.htm

THinking about picking one up and was curious if anyone has any experience with one of these? Good? Bad? I like that it uses SD for memory.
Old 12-10-2008, 12:59 PM   #602
SCQTT
Zwei Kolben

Oddometer: 5,316
There were a few people wearing them on a ride I was on in October. The video is OK, but not great. I think you can set it up to take video or stills.

There was a guy who had it mounted on his chest protector. He said the head movements caused the video to be too shaky when mounted on a helmet.
Old 12-10-2008, 03:59 PM   #603
soewe812
Wag more Bark less

Oddometer: 997
Shoot GISKev a pm. He uses one.
soewe812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 07:27 PM   #604
SpeedyR
SE in the SE

Oddometer: 712
I got one of the wide angle ones a week or so ago. did a track day with it thanksgiving and pretty good results. use good batteries, and moved it from the bike to my helmet. on the street with teh wide angle it always looks like you are farther away from the other riders even if you are only 1'-2' away. :)

looking forward to giving it a shot on the KTM. I think the wide angle will be better in the woods. if you are just using it to post on the web and stuff the quality is fine. if you are planning on viewing it on a 50" LCD 1080p you'll be disappointed. :)
SpeedyR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 07:31 PM   #605
markwoodlief
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyR
I got one of the wide angle ones a week or so ago. did a track day with it thanksgiving and pretty good results. use good batteries, and moved it from the bike to my helmet. on the street with teh wide angle it always looks like you are farther away from the other riders even if you are only 1'-2' away. :)

looking forward to giving it a shot on the KTM. I think the wide angle will be better in the woods. if you are just using it to post on the web and stuff the quality is fine. if you are planning on viewing it on a 50" LCD 1080p you'll be disappointed. :)
Thanks for the info.. I'll likely be using i in the woods mostly. I was mostly concerned with vibration and noise.. youd think the exhaust on my 525 KTM would drown out any possibility of audio recording at all..although I suppose I could just cut the noise later and add music
Old 12-10-2008, 08:48 PM   #606
little_twin
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 396
As others have said the video is not bad but it's also not great. Durability wise I feel they are very good. Mine has seen a few good crashes at the MX track, and survived a 70mph high side at the track the first time I used it.
little_twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 05:34 PM   #607
Fleg
Fleg in 2012

Oddometer: 2,127
I have one but haven't tried it yet. What happens if you put a card in it that is larger then 2 gig?
Fleg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 05:40 PM   #608
markwoodlief
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleg
I have one but haven't tried it yet. What happens if you put a card in it that is larger then 2 gig?
I was wondering about that, but figured worse case scenario you back a few extra 2 gb cards with you and some triple a batteries..
Old 12-12-2008, 06:37 PM   #609
larryboy
Paint it black.

Oddometer: 13,660
There are a couple hours worth of video and still slideshows from the GoPro 5.0 mp wide angle in my latest Death Valley report:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=409552

I'm working on a review to put at the end.
Old 12-13-2008, 11:37 AM   #610
kkesp
UPSIDERIGHT

Oddometer: 226
POV1 Helmet Video Cam

I'm thinking about getting one of these, but would like some insight from those that have them. Some questions that I have are. How easy is it to use. I have seen some video on the web and I'm hoping that the quality of the video is better in person than what has been uploaded. Does the camera stay secured on the helmet once mounted. I guess I looking for your over all impressions.

Thanks

Kris
kkesp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008, 05:44 PM   #611
Northern Rob
Con Brio!

Oddometer: 605
Its good. Did a nice run in the Alps with it and got some good clips. Go ahead and buy it. It won't be HD quality. It will take you some time to tweak out how to use it - adjust the camera position etc.
Northern Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008, 05:56 PM   #612
Fishfund
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 562
According to the website it has 720 lines of resolution. Isn't that HD or do you have to have 1080 lines to be considered HD these day?
Fishfund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 09:01 AM   #613
nobrakes
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,355
I have one and am happy with it. It is very easy to use. Just upload your clips to your computer and import into whatever video editing software you use. I use Final Cut Express and they import right in with no additional conversion.

Here's a sample clip with some clips shot from several rides. Note that as dust covers the lens, the quality can vary, but that's not the camera's fault.

http://www.vimeo.com/2459281

The microphone quality is very good also. Click on any of my other clips from above to hear the microphone from the camera, the one I posted above is the only one that I added music.

'12 KTM 350 EXC-F
nobrakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 10:06 AM   #614
boney
Ride > Post

Oddometer: 1,397
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishfund
According to the website it has 720 lines of resolution. Isn't that HD or do you have to have 1080 lines to be considered HD these day?
Be careful! It's 720 x 480. The second number is the one commonly referenced when discussing TV resolution. So no, it's not 720 lines of resolution, it's 480. At that is Lo-Def, standard TV.

EDIT:

Not that there's anything wrong with that. Currently I don't know of any "helmet cams" that have a better resolution that 480.
Old 12-14-2008, 11:54 AM   #615
NJ650
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 508
I got the 5 Megapixel Wide version recently. Used it once so far on a rainy cloudy day. I was impressed with the video quality at such low light levels with such a tiny camera lens. I put a 4GB card in it. Haven't had a chance to do a really long ride yet to test it out completely. You can set it to take photos every 2 seconds or shoot video.
Planning 2014 Gaspé and 2014 COBDR
Fuck cancer!
NJ650 is offline   Reply With Quote